AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 20:00   Link #561
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

This was really stupid, IMO. The low-point of the whole arc...

Akainu: noob
Ace: WHAT?!?!
Old 2011-01-09, 21:55   Link #562
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It would have been more shocking if 10,000 people hadn't spoiled this part of the arc to me months ago . Still tough to see Ace take that kind of hit. They came this far and he jumps in front of an attack like that. Certainly Ace should have done it since they wouldn't have been in range if he hadn't stopped running in the first place. This whole situation just seems to line up with Ace and his temper. He got captured in the first place because he ran off on his own after Blackbeard and then gets in danger because he couldn't let the insults towards Whitebeard go. Now he's just making the entire effort to go and rescue him pointless.

I'm sure Whitebeard is going to make a mess before he goes down. Though I feel sorry for him since he won't miss Ace taking such a damaging attack. Lost so much during this situation though the marines certainly didn't get off without taking some bruises. Still in the end it was a loss. The admirals are still there along with Sengoku and Garp. Though I'm sure there will be a lot of room for promotions after all the marines that got killed during this war.

Can't forget that Blackbeard is up to something as well. After such a brutal war the navy will be in a weaker position to deal with him.
Old 2011-01-10, 01:44   Link #563
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Though I'm sure there will be a lot of room for promotions after all the marines that got killed during this war.
Did anyone really die? I don't see any bodies littering marineford or an ocean of blood making the ground slippery. The only real confirmed kill so far is Ace.

That surgeon pirate lopping people's heads off comically is more gruesome than all of marineford so far.

DOCKING MODE~
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 02:02   Link #564
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
It IS a war though. I seriously doubt either side could get through something like this without loss of life or casualties. I'd blame the lack of corpses on lazy animating.

It's mostly just un-important fodder getting killed though, the only big name character to die so far is Ace.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-01-10 at 02:16.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 02:14   Link #565
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
Did anyone really die? I don't see any bodies littering marineford or an ocean of blood making the ground slippery. The only real confirmed kill so far is Ace.

That surgeon pirate lopping people's heads off comically is more gruesome than all of marineford so far.
No one cares about focusing much on the fodder. I'm sure a ton died since even above average marines getting blasted around like that aren't going to survive . Not surprised they are focusing more on the fighting and main characters than having people jump over corpses.
Old 2011-01-10, 04:44   Link #566
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
1) maybe that's the point .. that it's not all sunshine and butterflies even for the strongest pirate crew in the world
2) it always was .. if one crew + allies could take on the ENTIRE top elite navy force in the world + 5 Shichibukai then it's hard to imagine how the marines still exist .. it was also a rescue mission, not an all out fight
I understand that events of this war is used to move the story along and shape One Piece for the future; however, I just feel like I have been trolled with the way they handled this arc. They could have made it so that they rescued Ace and then he dies for a worthwhile and epic cause. Yes, he sacrificed himself to save Luffy, but that was only to cover up for his own mistake he caused himself. It was like saying, "thank you for watching this epic rescue arc... but uh, Ace will not be rescued and he dies, so just shut up and take it."

It feels like I was sucker punched with that scene.

As for your second point, I guess when you put it that way, I agree with you. The Marines are surprisingly much weaker when in that view. I guess their only saving grace is that the super-power pirates usually don't work with each other and each have their own goals. When I think about it, I am really surprised how weak (in comparison) most of the Vice Admirals are. They should be equivalent to the Whitebeard Commanders but appear weaker in this arc (excluding Garp, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
that's the anime's problem

I read almost the entire arc in one go in the manga and it was absolutely, mind-numbingly epic .. cried a few times too
Yes, the anime is probably not doing a very good job right now, since I have not shed any tears. I could not help but cried during Nami's scene and Robin's scene (my 2 favorite in One Piece thus far). Since I am anime only, I can only base what I think off of what was shown in the anime and not the manga. Sadly, this arc, thus far, has turned into a disappointment, which I have never felt before in One Piece.

I guess for contrast, you could say this arc felt like the 4Kids dubbed disaster of One Piece, while the other arcs is the original Japanese with English subtitled version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
This was really stupid, IMO. The low-point of the whole arc...

Akainu: noob
Ace: WHAT?!?!
I completely agree with that sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
No one cares about focusing much on the fodder. I'm sure a ton died since even above average marines getting blasted around like that aren't going to survive . Not surprised they are focusing more on the fighting and main characters than having people jump over corpses.
Yeah, it was never One Piece's forte to show dead bodies everywhere, and they will not do it now. Showing a lot of dead bodies will probably detract from the show than enhance it, given the atmosphere of the show.
Old 2011-01-10, 04:48   Link #567
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
That surgeon pirate
Who? ..////////
Old 2011-01-10, 04:56   Link #568
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Who? ..////////
You probably want to quote the name person who wrote that as well to easier reference your question.

He is referring to Gekko Moriah, one of the Shichibukai, and the main antagonist in the Thriller Bark arc. Although, I could be wrong and Shiryuu is referring to another pirate....

Edit:

Actually, he is probably referring to Trafalgar Law, one of the Eleven Supernovas that appeared during the Sabaody Archipelago part. He moved people's body parts around and placed them in different objects.
Old 2011-01-10, 06:52   Link #569
Pascha
Sacred Dome

This episode was a disappointment compared to the last. The only interesting part of the episode was the last 2 minutes. The useless flashbacks and the majority of time spent on buggy was completely unnecessary. I guess they had to put this in, in order to make the episode up to 20 minutes.

Loved the music in the end, and the next episode (presumably last of arc) should be good which is fitting to an otherwise okay arc. It's going to suck that one of the famous character of the series: Ace is going to perish.

Anyone know what happened to smoker, crocodile, mr.1, and boa hancock? It seems they were missing/completely disappeared in this episode (especially smoker, I think it's assumed he got his ass kicked by boa).

Last edited by Pascha; 2011-01-10 at 07:06.
Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 08:23   Link #570
Kallen4life

they're around
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 13:21   Link #571
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

What a waste of time -.- Ace dies..
And really how the fhk does Lava beat fire -.-!
Pwnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 13:30   Link #572
Kallen4life

well it's got rock in it, it can smother flame and cut off the oxygen ?

or something

OP laws
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-01-10, 15:25   Link #573
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

wow, all of their efforts put to waste in a second, i would have totally been shocked if it wasn't for the fact that my friends spoiled it for me
Old 2011-01-10, 15:27   Link #574
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
wow, all of their efforts put to waste in a second, i would have totally been shocked if it wasn't for the fact that my friends spoiled it for me
The thing that makes me so furious about it (and I do read the manga, so I've had time to digest it and mull it over) is that the whole thing was Ace's own stupid fault.
Old 2011-01-10, 17:08   Link #575
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

Yeah.. I got to admit that it was Ace's fault, but even though :/ They should have escaped safely imo, and Ace got taunted as well which also caused his death -.- If he kept on running then maybe they would be all alive. And yeah.. Whitebeard should have listen to Shanks when he said to stop Ace from pursing Blackbeard, am I right :S?

Last edited by Pwnago; 2011-01-10 at 17:10. Reason: Just another point :D
Old 2011-01-10, 17:28   Link #576
Kallen4life

WB wanted to stop it as well, Ace's hotheadness killed him, but that's how he has always been

though I think Akainu would've caught up with them anyway and targeted Ace/Luffy/both .. not like they can stop him or anything, probably commanders could slow down or something, maybe .. only WB can actually deal with him
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-01-11, 11:04   Link #577
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

Pretty sure that 1st commander of WB crew can probably fight evenly with the 3 admirals imo :S
Old 2011-01-11, 11:15   Link #578
Kallen4life

he was wounded badly by Kizaru earlier though, healed after getting out of cuffs I guess, but it still should've sapped his stamina

Akainu is a monster, though in a more brutish burn-through-anything kind of way rather then lol-speed-of-light or lol-freeze
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-01-11, 15:37   Link #579
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

Reason why 1st commander got owned because he was worrying about Whitebeard's health and knew it would come during the fight because his old xd!

But I'm sure the lava guy wouldn't be able to touch speed of light :S Impossible loool! Resurrect ACE NOWWW
Old 2011-01-11, 17:08   Link #580
Kallen4life

doubt it's really ~300 000 km/sec

btw I actually watched the episode just now - Marco still had blood on his chest and looked pretty bad - not sure the cuffs are even off

episode was cool .. Akainu's speech was longer then in the manga I think (maybe a little), it was really crowning, man doesn't speak much, but when he does .. (same VA - Kenpachi & Gendo are kinda the same) .. how their 2 fists connected was pretty cool too

Akainu troll skillz = >9000. Ace is a n00b, yeah =/

Akainu aggros Ace. It's super effective. Attacks for massive damage. It's super effective.
We are Blackwatch