AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2010-08-22, 13:03   Link #161
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
and the only reason they seem as slow as they are is because of the anime's pacing
This is pretty nonsense, i mean just because the pacing of the adaptation is slowed down compared to the manga, it doesn't mean the traits of a character who is known to be very fast are going to be cut as well.
Old 2010-08-22, 15:07   Link #162
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

Well, that was certainly impressive.

I can safely say that this was the best episode in the arc thus far. Loved all the new characters and their abilities shown, as well as the impressive entrance for "Little Oz Junior"

Usually at this point in the show you start wondering when Luffy and his gang will show up, but honestly I am perfectly content with just watching White Beard and the Marines go at each other ^_^;;

I'm sure our hero will have a grand entrance when things are just perfect for his arrival.
Old 2010-08-24, 17:47   Link #163
Kallen4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinction View Post
He cant move at lightspeed. Just for the brain to send signals to the body to move would be slower than lightspeed so he couldnt keep up with his body. People underrestimate "lightspeed". If this fruit would be really real life light than it would be by far the most broken DF and Rayleigh couldnt stop Kizaru if it really was lightspeed. So its "manga light" but therefore not really lightspeed.
agreed

you guys are severely underestimating what it would be like if a person were to move and attack at literally ~300 000 km/s .."in the blink of an eye" doesn't begin to cover that

anyone fighting Kizaru wouldn't have been able to process a thought before they were shredded by his lazers

Quote:
Ya one thing i loved about seeing him fight the supernovas was when he would kick and everything would slow down, showing that he was moving so quickly that the supernova's barely had the time to even register that they were about to be kicked in the face
that's not light speed

but I agree that they can make animation of his attacks faster

episode was great .. IMHO pacing wasn't slow at all - just right
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 20:23   Link #164
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageormike View Post
Well, that was certainly impressive.

I can safely say that this was the best episode in the arc thus far. Loved all the new characters and their abilities shown, as well as the impressive entrance for "Little Oz Junior"

Usually at this point in the show you start wondering when Luffy and his gang will show up, but honestly I am perfectly content with just watching White Beard and the Marines go at each other ^_^;;

I'm sure our hero will have a grand entrance when things are just perfect for his arrival.
Well I'm still wondering that, but it is a pretty incredible battle going on here. The forces going at it are insane. White Beard's forces are doing a great job out there. Still it's going to be pretty tough to handle all that the navy can throw out there. Certainly they can use all the help they can get and Luffy's group should help.

I kind of feel bad for Oars Jr since he is way too popular with two guys you really don't want to get close to.
Old 2010-08-25, 22:20   Link #165
scorpio516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
you guys are severely underestimating what it would be like if a person were to move and attack at literally ~300 000 km/s .."in the blink of an eye" doesn't begin to cover that
To further extrapolate, by moving at the speed of light, he could travel to the moon in 1 second

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
scorpio516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 22:45   Link #166
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Battle with Enel! So shall it be!
Old 2010-08-27, 20:33   Link #167
secretzfan
*Fansubber

I just go through watching the latest episode and it is pretty awesome
Old 2010-08-28, 11:50   Link #168
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
It's funny how this series (and all shounen in general) treat us all as if we are retards who can't figure out anything alone. Even the slightest most obvious thing that happens must simply be explained. Someone will always jump and describe what happened. Oh look, he picked his nose. Oh look, he fell asleep. On look, he made a joke; how funny; laugh now people.

Well thank you very much, I can see all that by myself. Why are you treating me as if I am mentaly incapacitated? Is the target audience's IQ around 90?

Show; don't tell. If some don't get it, it will be plus damn it. It will make it opaque to the point of building a mythos.

And now about the episode being slow or not... A Shinchibukai attacks, a pirate lietenant blocks. Kizaru attacks, a pirate lietenant blocks. Oars (or Oz) jr appears. 24 minutes for two blocks and an entry. That counts as slow in my book.

Whitebeard is playing it Yamamoto and just stands around doing nothing. Well, it's not surprising if both are such sitting ducks that will have similar fates.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 12:40   Link #169
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
And now about the episode being slow or not... A Shinchibukai attacks, a pirate lietenant blocks. Kizaru attacks, a pirate lietenant blocks. Oars (or Oz) jr appears. 24 minutes for two blocks and an entry. That counts as slow in my book.
Heyheyhey, now... you totally forgot "Pirate Lietenant attacks, Akainu blocks"... i means that's like 3-5 minutes worth of material right there

Though ya, the episodes would not go so slow if they didn't spend so much time showing shocked faces just starring and commenting on the action... frankly i'd rather they instead fill those moments with random people exchanging attacks; that would atleast be more exciting than watching an iceberg have a minute of hangtime

Last edited by Slayerx; 2010-08-28 at 13:04.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 13:03   Link #170
roriconfan
Banned

I could also say that in the past 8 episodes only afew things happened. In manga format, we can assume all dialogues last a second. But in anime format, they just make it last as much as possible to chew time. It's like the battle on Namek all over again.
Old 2010-08-28, 14:27   Link #171
Kallen4life

I dunno, original DBZ Namek was FAR worse .. A LOT

this is not much slower then DB Kai Namek

I think you guys are exxagerating

1-1.5 chapters is ok for an episode
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 14:42   Link #172
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ I agree. And when you consider that a lot of content is packed into each One Piece chapter, 1-1.5 chapters per episode is okay. To say the pacing is terrible is a hyperbole, I feel.
Old 2010-08-28, 15:04   Link #173
roriconfan
Banned

Why are you making manga analogies? I don't care if it's covering 1 or 10 chapters per episode. I care about the fact that the last episodes were 80% dead time. If there weren't random people describing every single thing, it would require 5 times more plot per episode.
Old 2010-08-28, 15:46   Link #174
james0246

^No offense, but you just described nearly every single anime series (if not every single anime series) based on a currently running manga/other source material.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 16:11   Link #175
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Why are you making manga analogies?
Because that's the basis for manga-to-anime adaptations, obviously. It's the standard by which we judge pacing.

Quote:
I don't care if it's covering 1 or 10 chapters per episode. I care about the fact that the last episodes were 80% dead time. If there weren't random people describing every single thing, it would require 5 times more plot per episode.
Shonen manga isn't for you, so read something else. Stop your incessant complaining.
Old 2010-08-28, 19:08   Link #176
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
I think you guys are exxagerating

1-1.5 chapters is ok for an episode
Not for these manga chapters... These chapters are different from most manga chapters in that these chapters have much less content. The manga chapters that cover the war are filled to the brim with splash pages, some chapters are almost nothing but splash pages; ergo the chapters only have half the regular amount of content and actually move twice as fast as normal... I do recall people commenting that the manga chapters felt short due to all the splash pages. Much less material is covered in these chapters, so sticking to 1-1.5 chapters is too slow... if your gonna use little filler, then you got to cover more than 2 chapters with each episode to maintain a fair pace

Besides, even if they make one chapter = one episode that does NOT mean that they NEED to slow the pacing down... just because they have to stretch the episode does not mean they have to just extend how long certain things take... instead of taking 10 minutes to show a tidal wave hit, they can fill 8 minutes with random filler fighting. those long pauses as people gape in awe kill the pacing bringing it to a crawl, where as random fighting would keep everything moving at the high pace you expect during a war

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^No offense, but you just described nearly every single anime series (if not every single anime series) based on a currently running manga/other source material.
And just because every other shonen anime does it, doesn't make it right...
There was once a time when these shonen's moved at a good fair pace... but as they got closer to the manga they realized they needed to stall for time. there are many ways they can stall, but they choose the worst methods, namely dragging out actions and making them last as long as possible... there is such a thing as building up tension but this goes way beyond it.

The most ideal method is to create filler material... either create filler episodes to let you stall long enough so that you can run the canon episodes at a fair pace (which can result in painful filler arcs if the anime team has no talent, but i think it's worth it for GOOD canon episodes), or fill the canon episodes with filler material that flows well with the action that's going on (a more preferred option if the anime team can't write a decent filler episode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Shonen Anime adapted from manga by poor anime teams isn't for you, so watch something else. Stop your incessant complaining.
Fixed...
OPINION of the anime really does have no baring on opinion of the manga since the complaints in this case are irrelevant

yeah, Discussions are about all kinds of opinions, not just blind praise
Or perhaps I should just say, "if you don't like his opinions, go read another forum"
I find those kind of responses funny when i think of how the bleach manga forum is 90% complaining... apparently it's only ok to complain when everyone else is doing it

Last edited by Slayerx; 2010-08-29 at 07:03.
Old 2010-08-28, 22:13   Link #177
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

In no particular order for this latest episode:

Oars = badass
Hancock = badass
Doflamingo = badass

Hancock was great just kicking everyone left and right. Oars absolutely owned the giants and has crazy stamina. Doflamingo finally shows off just why he got that Warlord spot. There's others, of course, but these three shine.
Old 2010-08-28, 23:57   Link #178
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
That was actually a really epic episode, not much seemed to drag on incredibly long either.

At the end when Oars Jr. was reaching out for Ace, I found that quite dramatic. I think the music they used there seriously helped too. The fact he was still going even after taking an Ursus Shock from Kuma, getting his leg severed by Doflamingo and getting impaled by Moria was a really impressive drive of determination.

Hancock's fighting style is pretty similar to one curly-brow we all know no? =p
Old 2010-08-29, 00:18   Link #179
Forever
Revealing the truth

Oars Jr kun!!!! Wat a man, wat a giant....
Old 2010-08-29, 00:47   Link #180
Slayerx

Now that last episode, still a little slow, but much better than the previous episodes. Adding in some good fighting material, and in this episode slowing down the pacing WAS appropriate at times particularly toward the end... granted i think they still went a step to far, but it wasn't has horribly overblown as the previous few eps were