AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-12, 09:16   Link #501
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
The statement below is explicit:
He could have burned Envy without Ed's permission so clearly to me he's not blinded by revenge (because if he were he wouldn't ask).
means he wasn't BLINDED by revenge NOT that he wasn't angry! Blinded by something means that someone doesn't think straight at all. I would call him blinded by revenge if he acted like Scar did and didn't mind burning innocent people without giving them a chance to get the hell out of his way. Mustang was perfectly aware of his surroundings, he was methodical, didn't fall for Envy's tricks and watched out so he wouldn't burn anyone else (Ed or other shrimps).
Alright fair point if you believed that Roy's wasn't blinded by his anger I won't further argue on that point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
This cliffhanger made it obvious that Mustang won't kill Envy (because of the reasons I already mentioned a couple of times), if she wanted Envy to be killed by Mustang she would have done it earlier. Further, I'm looking at Roy and I see no difference than from the time when he was fighting Lust, only he shouts more because everyone is interfering with his actions. When he was fighting Lust he could fry her without problems. And of course Arakawa drew his eyes to show anger Scherlock, thanks for stating the obvious. His eyes are the same, his expression is different because he shouts. Every one of them is disturbing him, I would be additionally annoyed too.
There is a difference between this fight and the fight with Lust. Before his main motive was for his protecting others but this time his main motive is not protecting his comrade it is driven by anger. This chapter proved my point with the line from Riza, if it was like Lust there would be no reason for Ed or other to intervene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Finally? Can't you read with comprehension? I've written exact same thing in my previous posts starting from here. And from what I see it's not obvious to you he would attack Envy. My point is (I'm shocked I even have to explain such obvious statement to you) he already had plenty of reasons to kill Envy and revenge was ONE OF the reasons. And from your point of view why would he attack Envy? If it didn't attack anyone then he would leave him alone, lol.
Have you ever thought that maybe I didn't read every single post in this thread? So I didn't read the part that you said revenge was a motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
I won't "trust you". You can think anyway you want, that's your prerogative but you're not alpha and omega and you can't know what Roy is thinking. And I think you've used the wrong word. Self-righteous means piously sure of one's own righteousness and I didn't write that.
But he is righteous. After all he did care about Ishvalans and executed orders in contradiction to his own judgement. Now he wants to be judged for his war crimes after he becomes fuhrer. What's more he wanted to know the secrets of alchemy to PROTECT people. So yes, I think he cares about all people not only the ones closest to him.
And on a side note. You don't know me, so please refrain from writing statements that say otherwise. To me people like this boxer are heroes. Whenever I hear that something like this happens, or when someone is murdered I do care, although not as much as I would have if someone close to me was a victim.
If that is how you see Roy then fine, but from what I seen he doesn't care about people Envy killed because he has no attachment towards them. And if you are personal belief and your view is like that fine then I won't say anything about it and I apologize for writing something disregarding your own personal belief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Firstly, you can't read with comprehension.
The first time, the same words that you've interpreted now as: "if your entire point was that Roy wasn't blinded by his anger because he attacked Envy because he is a potential danger or some would say an enemy"
you've interpreted: This part just doesn't make sense, he wants to kill Envy because of what he did in Ishbal and Roy fighting Envy, Scars, and Scar imply this?

In both cases you're wrong. In the first statement you're putting into my words that I was writing about him being blinded. I wasn't. I was answering a question that has such obvious answer and it was asked by you Sherlock. Your second statement on the other hand doesn't make ANY sense, you're mentioning Envy (I didn't write he wants to kill Envy because he was fighting Envy, lol) and Scar two times (seriusly, Scars and Scar?), WTF?
It seems that you are the one who can't read, the line that you wrote saying my interpretation was a question. I asked you a question that you should explain it more clearly, way to take that out of context. And wow way to go going after my typo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
You asked:
Where are the implications that he is going after Envy because of what Envy did?

and I answered:

It's simple. He tried to kill Lust, Scar, Gluttony and others because they were a threat. For the same reasons he would kill Envy even if he didn't know he was the one that killed his friend. Revenge is just another reason to do it. And in my previous post I've presented additional arguments to supprt my statement he wasn't blinded by revenge (i.e. he was methodical, etc.). If you have such short memory that you forget about everything immediately, write it down.

The fact is, Envy was a threat, Envy was a MASS MURDERER at that and he deserved to die regardless of what he did to Hughes. If Mustang was willing to kill Gluttony, Scar and Lust without blinking an eye then judging by his previous actions he would have gone after Envy for the same reasons. HERE is this implication. You don't have to be a genius to notice that, do you?
I don't see implication in that because the situation with others were because they were direct threat unlike Envy's embryo form. They attacked Roy first, this time Roy's motive is not to protect but to kill out of his own emotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
lol
Again you're stating the obvious ad neglecting my point. I'm writing that anger is and additive emotion (i.e. if a woman was killed it wouldn't make her husband as angry as if she was raped and killed) and you're writing that it blinds people. Get a grip man!
During middle school I got into a fight and when I did I didn't think straight and just attacked that person. Rage do blind people to perform certain act, if you can't see that anger doesn't blind people then I don't know what to say. And how would a dead woman get angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Of course it is manga for children. Even by definition, it's shounen after all. There are no elements here that 12 year old teenager wouldn't understand and there are many elements that are primitive (e.g. humour). The plot is very simple and in every volume you can see moral: killing is bad, revenge is bad, work dignifies, maternity is a blessing, trying to oppose laws of nature has consequences etc. etc. which is obvious to anyone with years of experience. The protagonist is a kid that always succeeds and never has to dirty his hands. Even in newest chapter Envy killed himself so that Mustang wouldn't be "consumed by hatred" (which is naive way of thinking if we take into account what he did in Ishval) or anyone else would have to stain their hands in blood.
Of course it doesn't mean it's bad. It has elements that attract older people too but trying to deny that it is manga for children is a naive way of thinking.
From the amount of violence I saw and the fact that FMA was in Adult Swim pretty much showed it wasn't for kids. It is probably for teens probably 14 or over, of course if you are describing that as a kid then I suppose yes it is for kid.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 14:42   Link #502
surerman
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Killers Special Mobile Prison
Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Considering Izumi and Olivia are now in the same place and we might even get to see those two fearsome women teaming up, yes it's definitely on now.



Envy had probably been hiding and holding in that shameful side of his his own life, so he most likely couldn't take it anymore and thus just let it all out before the very end... in a very Envy-ish way of course.
Sorry to ask
Who is Olivia?

man!Ed sensei come to town,what a wonderful blast she will made?
oh! but if Father disable Alchemy again she is not very useful like her apprentice beside fighting with martial arts.
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 15:40   Link #503
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by surerman View Post
Sorry to ask
Who is Olivia?

man!Ed sensei come to town,what a wonderful blast she will made?
oh! but if Father disable Alchemy again she is not very useful like her apprentice beside fighting with martial arts.
You sure you've been reading the manga? Olivia is Armstrong's sister, the one you see giving out orders to the maggot soldiers in this chapter.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 01:17   Link #504
KaoruLia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
So is her name Olivia or Olivier? I've heard so many translations of her name...
KaoruLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 01:44   Link #505
tzia_n
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines, but also in my imaginary world
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
So is her name Olivia or Olivier? I've heard so many translations of her name...
Olivier... that's a very odd name for a woman you know,,, Her name is most likely to be Olivia.
__________________
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 08:12   Link #506
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
The official translation by Square-Enix is Olivier. You can see it on a Calendar that has all the names in English.

Also if I remember right its spelled Olivier in the Japanese volumes as well. Viz also uses that name.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 08:13   Link #507
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Well, she is tough enough to use a man's name as her own.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 09:29   Link #508
tzia_n
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines, but also in my imaginary world
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
The official translation by Square-Enix is Olivier. You can see it on a Calendar that has all the names in English.

Also if I remember right its spelled Olivier in the Japanese volumes as well. Viz also uses that name.
Well, that's weird. Guess I just have to get used to that then.
__________________
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 19:33   Link #509
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Considering Izumi and Olivia are now in the same place and we might even get to see those two fearsome women teaming up, yes it's definitely on now.
O_O That would make my month if that team up happened. And I loved Izumi's line at the end of the manga, she's just an awesome character.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 20:19   Link #510
MonsieurRosseau
Insane Person
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Send a message via AIM to MonsieurRosseau Send a message via MSN to MonsieurRosseau Send a message via Yahoo to MonsieurRosseau
Spoiler for Newest Chapter:
__________________


Riful fans! Look here!
MonsieurRosseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 03:51   Link #511
Umaibo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
OMG. Chapter 96 is so godlike!

Spoiler for :

Last edited by Umaibo; 2009-06-11 at 04:41.
Umaibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 04:29   Link #512
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
I don't think you should post scans here. Fullmetal Alchemist is a licensed manga.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 04:41   Link #513
Umaibo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Maybe you're right. Edited.
Umaibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 06:46   Link #514
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Well someone's month was made

Spoiler for Chapter 96:
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 07:40   Link #515
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
I liked the chapter, but is it just me, or is Arakawa just stalling at this point? They've been fighting Sloth for almost half a year now, and there still isn't much revealed at all between Hohenheim and Father. Most of the chapter was action, but it looks like we're still a few chapters away from the climatic battle itself. ^^;
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 08:08   Link #516
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I liked the chapter, but is it just me, or is Arakawa just stalling at this point? They've been fighting Sloth for almost half a year now, and there still isn't much revealed at all between Hohenheim and Father. Most of the chapter was action, but it looks like we're still a few chapters away from the climatic battle itself. ^^;
Well considering there is only
Spoiler:
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 08:29   Link #517
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I liked the chapter, but is it just me, or is Arakawa just stalling at this point? They've been fighting Sloth for almost half a year now, and there still isn't much revealed at all between Hohenheim and Father. Most of the chapter was action, but it looks like we're still a few chapters away from the climatic battle itself. ^^;
Read Bleach to see a mangaka stalling. Like it was already mentioned we really only had two chapters with a lot of the Sloth fight, and the rest where just a few pages. Also these fights have to be long due to the nature of the Homunculi, I mean it wouldn't make any sense if Father hadn't given them a refill just before the climatic battle. Also it took a while before Sloth began getting injured constantly enough that his regenerating wasn't enough to stop the blows.

I would rather have epic fights that take up several volumes than to just have Ed steamroll through the Homunculi like in the first anime.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 11:22   Link #518
Sannom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll
I liked the chapter, but is it just me, or is Arakawa just stalling at this point? They've been fighting Sloth for almost half a year now
I don't think she's stalling like in "I want to make as much money as possible" or "I need time to get good ideas". But I do think she's enjoying the fights, especially the Sloth one, which is the most physical one we've ever seen in that manga, and the first really serious fight of Alex! The last chapters have a really fast action rate but a slow rate of revelations. We are now in the same kind of pace of volume 9-14, a lot of action on a short amount of time.

Like Charred Knight said : the reason it seems slow is because of epic fights. Alex is finally shown at full strength against an opponent at the measure of his physical exploits. Father get a full-blown fight against Hohenheim, one of the most impressive one alchemy-wise.
Sannom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 12:01   Link #519
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
I read the chapter, and holy crap!
Spoiler for new chapter:
God, I can't wait for this to get animated...
__________________

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-06-11 at 12:16.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 12:52   Link #520
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannom View Post
I don't think she's stalling like in "I want to make as much money as possible" or "I need time to get good ideas". But I do think she's enjoying the fights, especially the Sloth one, which is the most physical one we've ever seen in that manga, and the first really serious fight of Alex! The last chapters have a really fast action rate but a slow rate of revelations. We are now in the same kind of pace of volume 9-14, a lot of action on a short amount of time.

Like Charred Knight said : the reason it seems slow is because of epic fights. Alex is finally shown at full strength against an opponent at the measure of his physical exploits. Father get a full-blown fight against Hohenheim, one of the most impressive one alchemy-wise.
I don't mean that she's stalling for those reasons. Personally, I have a feeling she's "stalling" or rather slowing down the pace, simply so the manga doesn't end too many months before the anime does.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.