AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2009-07-15, 21:41   Link #701
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

I have a Japanese volume of Ouran but I didn't buy it I found it in the goodwill bin at my school! (My school has lots of asians, so it might of been chinese or korean, i dunno.) But that is some dedication, though I would still want to be able to understand what it is saying, but maybe that could be one of my goals once I actually have a job/steady income later on in life, who knows.

Edit: I asked my mom and she says it's Chinese not Japanese xD

Last edited by Mistypearl; 2009-07-15 at 22:12.
Mistypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 22:26   Link #702
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No I can't read Japanese unfortunately. I started buying random volumes of the Japanese manga a few years ago and then just picked up all the ones I missed at a convention and I have been collecting them ever since. Besides the special bonus material that is included from time to time, I just like how they look on my shelf more than the English release of the series.
How do they look different then? Minus the whole one being in Japanese and the other in English thing.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 23:00   Link #703
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
It always amazes me when people react with surprise that something that's in the Japanese manga would be in the English translation as well. People give the same reaction when I mention reading the translated infodumps at the back of each Negima volume. If it's in there, it's in there, right?

Of all the translated manga I've read (and it's quite a bit at this point) I've yet to read one half as bad as people seem to assume they all are...
But they are still very overpriced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's great seeing how much love Arakawa puts into the omake's, so yes you must start buying as soon as possible.
Especially those 4koma's, and yeah pretty much FMA is one of the few manga I am willing to buy. Still haven't bought any of them after volume 11.
Old 2009-07-16, 02:24   Link #704
Ziziphus
Whatever

You guys are SO lucky! The FMA manga hasn't been published in my country yet...
I'm tired of reading all kinds of good manga online, I wish I would be albe to see a real volume of FMA and put it on my bookcase someday...
Old 2009-07-16, 05:32   Link #705
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
How do they look different then? Minus the whole one being in Japanese and the other in English thing.
The English version is grayish Silver with a big red & silver logo. The book is also slightly larger than the Japanese release.

The Japanese release has a black slip cover which makes the image on the cover more striking in my opinion. The logo is smaller and the color changes with each volume.

When you remove the slipcover from the Japanese release you have a fake front and back cover with an omake and another omake on the spine of the characters that died in the volume. These omake are included in the English release but they are in the back of the book with the other omake instead of on the covers.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 06:01   Link #706
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
I'm tired of reading all kinds of good manga online, I wish I would be albe to see a real volume of FMA and put it on my bookcase someday...
I'm in same condition...
Old 2009-07-16, 06:31   Link #707
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
The English version is grayish Silver with a big red & silver logo. The book is also slightly larger than the Japanese release.

The Japanese release has a black slip cover which makes the image on the cover more striking in my opinion. The logo is smaller and the color changes with each volume.

When you remove the slipcover from the Japanese release you have a fake front and back cover with an omake and another omake on the spine of the characters that died in the volume. These omake are included in the English release but they are in the back of the book with the other omake instead of on the covers.
My English FMA collection is the one published by Chuang Yi in Singapore. It uses the Viz translations (licensed via Square Enix), but it follows the Japanese release format. Which means the covers are the English covers, but the book size is similar to the Japanese release, and it comes with a slipcover for each volume with the omake printed on the inside covers.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 09:24   Link #708
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
No manga is released in my country either, but I own as I've said over 70 volumes of it. Importing is the key. Try it?

Quote:

Hmm yeah, that does sound like it'd look cooler on a shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
My English FMA collection is the one published by Chuang Yi in Singapore. It uses the Viz translations (licensed via Square Enix), but it follows the Japanese release format. Which means the covers are the English covers, but the book size is similar to the Japanese release, and it comes with a slipcover for each volume with the omake printed on the inside covers.
Oh the best of both worlds then? Wish I could get my hands on those...
Old 2009-07-18, 08:35   Link #709
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
I like the viz one better that the Chuang Yi one, simply because it looks more badass from afar ^_^ plus viz version makes the book on the same size as the other manga I've bought, so it looks better on the shelf hehe

But as far as I know the Chuang Yi is cheaper...
Old 2009-07-22, 03:03   Link #710
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Haven't you guys gone a bit off topic?
So I have a little question: What is Father?
I mean he is a homunculus or something else? Why did he need to stay in the flask?

I'm confused about his origin a bit.
Old 2009-07-22, 08:11   Link #711
GaimeGuy

he is the original homunculus that was somehow created/brought over from The Truth by Xerxes, in a process that somehow used the blood of Hohenheim (slave #23)
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 08:18   Link #712
Vicious108

I'm actually still curious to see how exactly Homunculus (Father) was originally created, wonder if we'll ever get to see it.

Anyways, all we have on his origins is shown in chapters 74 and 75, so (re)read them if you'd like to know.
Old 2009-07-22, 08:25   Link #713
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'm actually still curious to see how exactly Homunculus (Father) was originally created, wonder if we'll ever get to see it.
Yeah i'm hoping we find out. Just hope it doesn't lead to more questions we need answering.
Old 2009-07-22, 08:28   Link #714
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
he is the original homunculus that was somehow created/brought over from The Truth by Xerxes, in a process that somehow used the blood of Hohenheim (slave #23)
Quote:
Anyways, all we have on his origins is shown in chapters 74 and 75, so (re)read them if you'd like to know.
I already know about these stuff. I just wanted to know if it has been revealed how he was exactly created.

He is not like the other homunculus.
Old 2009-07-22, 08:50   Link #715
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzy Angel View Post
I already know about these stuff. I just wanted to know if it has been revealed how he was exactly created.
Well, it hasn't.

It hasn't even been revealed how regular homunculi are created after all.
Old 2009-07-22, 08:55   Link #716
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

As far as has been said in the manga, homunculi are part of Father's soul. I was impressed by Father's new form in chapter 97. It looked like an amalgamation of the Truth and Pride's true form.
Old 2009-07-22, 09:49   Link #717
Vicious108

Yes they're a part of Father's soul, representing the sins he's discarded, but aside from Wrath and Greedling, homunculi made from originally human bodies, we still don't know how the process of their creation works. And I wonder if we ever will, at this point.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:56   Link #718
Kirarakim

Although nothing has been said about Father's origins I have a feeling he comes from the doors of truth.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 15:58   Link #719
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Although nothing has been said about Father's origins I have a feeling he comes from the doors of truth.
I quite like this theory. Plus if it's true, it means nothing new will have to be created for his origins, and instead go with something we've dealt with in the past.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:09   Link #720
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Well, it hasn't.

It hasn't even been revealed how regular homunculi are created after all.
We see how Gluttony is being reborn (right out of Father's chest in chibi form). That's being reborn with the same memories though so who knows.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote