AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-09, 10:58   Link #1
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Looking for action-packed 24/26 episode anime

I'm thinking of anime like s-Cry-ed, Buso Renkin, Fate/Stay Night, and Mai HiME.

Preferably 24 to 26 episodes long, action-packed, and with lots of excitement.

I'm currently watching a fair bit of slice of life/school life anime, and I'd like to compliment it with action-packed fare.

Any suggestions?
Old 2010-07-09, 11:16   Link #2
JRendell
Manga Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
Considering the anime you said you like, I think that Chrome Shelled Regios sounds like the anime for you. Definitely action packed, with a variety of characters.

Another decent Action anime would have to be Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~. It's more towards the gangster/drama side, but it definitely has some great action and characters.

Then there's the newly airing series of Highschool of the Dead. Extremely ecchi and gory, but the action and drama within is brilliant. The manga is awesome too.

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-

Old 2010-07-09, 11:23   Link #3
Kaze Shachou
So Pringles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Considering the anime you said you like, I think that Chrome Shelled Regios sounds like the anime for you. Definitely action packed, with a variety of characters.
I'll second this, Regios was pretty good.

Although not action packed, Samurai Champloo, was, imo, exciting and may very well suit what your looking for.
Old 2010-07-09, 11:55   Link #4
Triple_R
Center Attraction

JRendell and Kaze Shachou - Thanks a lot for the recommendations!

I already checked out the first episode of Regios. Very action-packed. And it does remind me a lot of s-Cry-ed, which is one of my favorite action-oriented animes.
Old 2010-07-09, 12:25   Link #5
Haak
Forever Alone...

Have you seen To Aru Majutsu no Index? It's fairly action packed.

The only other one i can think of is a 12 episode anime: Canaan.
Old 2010-07-09, 13:09   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
& the OP asked for 24/26 episodes.

I'll have to recommend Needless. It's pretty action packed from start until finish, and it sure to get your blood boiling. :3
Old 2010-07-09, 14:11   Link #7
Qwey

Seconding Needless, adding Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Kaze no Stigma, Mai-Otome. Also Darker than Black, Black Lagoon, and Claymore all are very action packed and exciting.
Old 2010-07-09, 14:35   Link #8
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Ya it's 12, but still very good on action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& the OP asked for 24/26 episodes.

I'll have to recommend Needless. It's pretty action packed from start until finish, and it sure to get your blood boiling. :3
I'll third Needless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwey View Post
. Also Darker than Black, Black Lagoon
Second both of those.
Old 2010-07-10, 06:46   Link #9
klare

also:
- Shangri-La
- Armed Librarians
- Railgun
- Tears to Tiara
Old 2010-07-10, 08:53   Link #10
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone!

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying Regios so far, and I'm about 8 or 9 episodes in now.
Old 2010-07-10, 09:59   Link #11
Chrisjon
In 7/4 tyme

I will suggest Utawarerumono simply because it meets the OP's requirements of being action anime that is 26 episodes long. I didn't care much for the anime, but some people liked it.
Old 2010-07-10, 11:22   Link #12
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

I'd say Bakuretsu Tenshi and Claymore. Mai-Otome as well.
Old 2010-07-10, 16:05   Link #13
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
In other threads you mentioned some of your favourites, and almost every one of them is a favourite of mine - we might have a slight case of taste-similarity here. In which case I'll have to ask: Are you into "slightly" gory "slightly" dark themed animes ?

If not, I would second Canaan and Phantom. Canaan was decent (in my standards which are very high) and Phantom was VERY good. Neither of them is action-packed though.

A list of what you've already seen would've been helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
also:
- Shangri-La
- Armed Librarians
- Railgun
- Tears to Tiara
Is it different from Library Wars ?
Old 2010-07-10, 16:42   Link #14
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai dono View Post
In other threads you mentioned some of your favourites, and almost every one of them is a favourite of mine - we might have a slight case of taste-similarity here.
I get that vibe too. I get the sense that we both like somewhat serious, and hence somewhat gory and dark themed animes. At least when it comes to action-oriented animes.

Some other action series that I've seen that are in the vein of what I'm looking for here:

Black Cat
Elemental Gelade
Full Metal Alchemist
Kiddy Grade
Magical Nanoha Striker S
Mai Otome
Marchen Awakens Romance
Shakugan no Shana
Solty Rei

Some of the above I didn't mention because they're a bit obscure.

If you're familiar with 90s animes, you can include:

El Hazard (I preferred the OVA, but the TV series wasn't bad by any means)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Saber Marionette J
Slayers
Slayers Next
Slayers Try

I'm probably forgetting some. If they come to me, I'll list them here. I'm sticking strictly to animes I've seen that match the length/genre/feel of what I'm looking for. I've seen many more animes than this, but a lot of them are mainly harem or slice of life or mecha.

Thanks for the Canaan and Phantom suggestions.

Just watched the first two episodes of Tears To Tiara, by the way, and it certainly looks pretty good so far.
Old 2010-07-10, 17:09   Link #15
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I get that vibe too. I get the sense that we both like somewhat serious, and hence somewhat gory and dark themed animes. At least when it comes to action-oriented animes.
My exact words when I usually try to explain why Fullmetal Alchemist is an absolute favourite

Well Unfortunately every thing I wanted to suggest is already in your list - except for Basilisk (a second favourite), and judging by your list, doesn't seem like the type of theme that would appeal to you - ficticious-feudal sad romantic ninja madness, lol.

Funny how I opened the thread wanting to suggest and ended up leaving with a few suggestions for my self instead There are at least 4 titles up there that I so need to check now heh ..
Old 2010-07-10, 19:42   Link #16
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai dono View Post
My exact words when I usually try to explain why Fullmetal Alchemist is an absolute favourite

Well Unfortunately every thing I wanted to suggest is already in your list - except for Basilisk (a second favourite), and judging by your list, doesn't seem like the type of theme that would appeal to you - ficticious-feudal sad romantic ninja madness, lol.
I'll certainly keep it in mind. I liked InuYasha so I'm not completely against watching a feudal era anime with ninjas or ninja-like fighters.

I've always liked Fantasy and Sci-Fi settings when it comes to action-oriented anime, though. For your benefit, I'm going to go over the animes I listed, and briefly describe (while only spoiling a little) what each of the animes I listed are like:

Spoiler for Triple_R's Rambunctiously Random Reviews!:

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-07-10 at 20:02.
Old 2010-07-10, 20:11   Link #17
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'll certainly keep it in mind. I liked InuYasha so I'm not completely against watching a feudal era anime with ninjas or ninja-like fighters.

I've always liked Fantasy and Sci-Fi settings when it comes to action-oriented anime, though. For your benefit, I'm going to go over the animes I listed, and briefly describe (while only spoiling a little) what each of the animes I listed are like:

Spoiler for Triple_R's Rambunctiously Random Reviews!:
VERY nicely worded !

I have seen some of the more recent ones in your list, and your comments either captured similar, or very near impressions to mine towards these shows. Which is why I am now very anxious to go and try out the ones that I haven't seen, or in some cases, never heard of teheh ..

I'm especially drawn to the older ones - the ones from the nineties. I'm sure you remember my interest in burried jewels of the past

Thanks for taking the time to put together this nicely layed out list of tasteful choices.
Old 2010-07-10, 22:30   Link #18
Ansalem
Speaker

Hey Triple_R. Wanted to help you out, but I've somehow seen almost none of the action shows you've seen, so it was a bit difficult. So here's my best shot:

There's a new show called Legend of the Legendary Heroes showing this season. I've only watched the first episode, but it gave me a pretty similar vibe to Slayers. Seems to be a sword-and-sorcery setting. Again, very limited impression, so I'm not sure how close that would be. 26 episodes.

Also, for an old school option, The Vision of Escaflowne is an excellent action from the 90's. It involves a school girl being transported to a mystical moon, where she becomes companion of a swordsman. It also involves some mechanical mecha and very mystic-feeling magic. Shakugan no Shana always made me think a little about this show. There's some kind of quality about some of the magic in Shana that gave a similar feeling to some of the magic in Escaflowne, and there also the "high school student suddenly immersed in a fantasy world" element for similarity. 26 episodes.

I have a fair number of good actions under my belt, but these were the closest I could come up with for the examples you gave.

Also, I'd mention (since it was listed in your original four shows) that Fate/Stay Night is by an author/illustrator team called Type-Moon who have three other shows in which they were directly involved, but which don't fit perfectly with your criteria:
Canaan (mentioned several times in the thread) - a great, recent 12 episode action set in a alternate present China, mainly gun-fights
Tsukihime Lunar Legend - an older 12-episode show with a high school student who becomes involved with magic events (pretty slow show without a ton of action)
Kara no Kyoukai - a series of 7 recent movies, more focused on horror, but with a fair amount of action.
All three of them feature a strong female protagonist, which I'm pretty sure are similar to the one from Fate/Stay Night, only show by the group which I haven't seen yet.

Anyway, hope this ends up helpful.
Old 2010-07-11, 04:35   Link #19
God of Peace

Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch and it's sequel Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2.

God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. We cannot learn without pain. Because a man of pleasure is also a man of pains.
Old 2010-07-11, 11:34   Link #20
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

I'll suggest Sengoku Basara, 1st season is only 13 eps but 2nd is just started airing so you will get your 26 ep in the end.
It's one of the best action packed series around along side Needless.

also I'll give a nod to Black Lagoon as well, it's great action shenanigans.