AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-16, 19:47   Link #1
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
Free blog host shut down by US Authorities

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorit...-blogs-100716/

Damn, the Americans took the whole thing down. Anyone here lose their blog?
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 20:29   Link #2
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Wat Wordpress is kaput?

I hope I'm reading this wrong.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 20:40   Link #3
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Damn, 73,000 in one sweep? That's a lot of blogs to get shut down in just one shot; I imagine many people will be raging about this.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:05   Link #4
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of Angels
they were streaming video illegally or linking to those sources (hence the reason why major torrent sites went down)... that will always get you in DMCA hell, not to mention trouble with the FBI and whatnot....
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:21   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Except that the Wordpress owners were responding, legally, to DMCA take-down requests. Whole thing is pretty suspicious at the moment. More information needed.

At the moment, it looks like a "shoot everyone and let God sort them out" maneuver.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:27   Link #6
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The girl's bathroom
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Damn, there goes a lot of the translation communities unless they start again on a different service.
__________________

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:43   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Emotionally, this is rather like shutting down an entire town because there were some illegal activities in it. Sadly, not many of these bloggers probably have access to significant lawyer firepower.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:46   Link #8
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Looks like bullshit to me. Not in that I don't think it's true, but in the fact that not all bloggers are putting copyrighted material up, so to do a widespread shutdown seems downright... fascist.

Sounds like censorship to me. I don't like it one bit. I can understand sites with copyrighted material, but an entire server? Bull-effing-shit.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:51   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Yeah, I'm watching to see if the EFF has something to say here.

Here's a more informative article about what is known so far:

http://www.helium.com/items/1893892-...-us-government
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 22:18   Link #10
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Well, it's certainly one thing if the owner of the site was involved in something illegal, but to shut down all of the blogs hosted on it, too? Something about it definitely stinks. Not all of those people could have been accused of hosting illegal material.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 22:58   Link #11
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
*whew!* thank god my favorite blog isn't gone!
__________________
Nadeko_Sengoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 23:46   Link #12
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Well, it's certainly one thing if the owner of the site was involved in something illegal, but to shut down all of the blogs hosted on it, too? Something about it definitely stinks. Not all of those people could have been accused of hosting illegal material.
I think they were trying to make an example of someone. If you do this, you will be caught and your work will be trashed in an instant, and there's nothing you can say or do about it. Sounds very much like mafia tactics and who knows, it could be true. Still, it is strange that they take down an entire blog site and I expect half the blogs were legit (mind you, I haven't seen it or heard about it until today). Normally they just push to take down those blogs that aren't legit. Maybe because there were so many that it was a waste of time to just go through all of them?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 00:59   Link #13
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
What is scary is the fact the American government is getting involved, not just industries.

However, I was watching the teli earlier and this came up. Apparently the Americans claimed that they were after child pornography and terrorist blogs mainly. They shut the entire thing down so they could clamp them all in one go. Still, guess that means translation days are numbered, If governments are getting involved.

Especially once ACTA is instated(In many nations). Sucks for those of us who like to watch/read unlicensed material.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 01:21   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
God, this is as bad as reading Slashdot.

Start by reading this post and the linked discussion at webhostingtalk. Here are a few pieces of factual information to consider before this gets blown further out of proportion:

1) It wasn't Wordpress; it was one guy with a single leased server (and no backups). He offered free blog hosting and supposedly had 73,000 customers. His hosting service (BurstNet) was approached by Federal authorities and told to take the server offline. They did so. Whether Burst was presented with a court order or a Patriot Act request or something else is not known. What Burst did say was that some of the hosted materials violated the terms-of-service agreement which the blog hoster agreed to when leasing the server.

2) No one outside Burst and the authorities involved know what the server is alleged to contain, but this case looks nothing at all like mere copyright infringement. More likely the machine contained child pornography or perhaps even state secrets.

3) What probably happened was that the FBI confiscated the server for further forensic review. In cases like this, Burst is forbidden from informing the lessor why the server was taken offline to avoid impeding further investigation. I suspect the PATRIOT act was invoked, but others in the web hosting business said that child pornography would have resulted in the same type of gag order being imposed.

4) The 73,000 bloggers essentially represent "collateral damage" here. In a posting I made on Slashdot, I likened the situation to a magazine with lots of individual contributors. If one of the contributors posted child pornography in his or her article, you can be sure the magazine would be impounded regardless of whether the other articles were totally legitimate.

5) The guy running this service seems like a whiny nutcase. It apparently never crossed his mind that giving away free blogs to all comers might encourage someone to store illegal materials on the server he was renting. He figured he could sit at home and watch his AdSense revenues come rolling in without having to pay attention to what was actually on the machine. Yes, with 73K accounts that would be a difficult thing to do, but no one said running a blogging host was going to be easy. Whether the hoster has some type of editorial responsibility is an important policy issue that, as far as I know, has not been extensively considered or litigated (outside of the take-down provisions of the DMCA that govern potential copyright infringement).

There are lots of complicated issues here, but imagining that the stormtroopers have arrived and are trampling on free speech and small animals is an over-exaggeration. If you want to have a serious discussion about how blogging should be treated in terms of free-speech issues, let's have that discussion. There are already four pages over at Slashdot on how the US is now like China and how fascism is on the rise in America. Let's not replicate that conversation here.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 02:35   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
God, this is as bad as reading Slashdot.

Start by reading this post and the linked discussion at webhostingtalk. Here are a few pieces of factual information to consider before this gets blown further out of proportion:

1) It wasn't Wordpress; it was one guy with a single leased server (and no backups). He offered free blog hosting and supposedly had 73,000 customers. His hosting service (BurstNet) was approached by Federal authorities and told to take the server offline. They did so. Whether Burst was presented with a court order or a Patriot Act request or something else is not known. What Burst did say was that some of the hosted materials violated the terms-of-service agreement which the blog hoster agreed to when leasing the server.

2) No one outside Burst and the authorities involved know what the server is alleged to contain, but this case looks nothing at all like mere copyright infringement. More likely the machine contained child pornography or perhaps even state secrets.

3) What probably happened was that the FBI confiscated the server for further forensic review. In cases like this, Burst is forbidden from informing the lessor why the server was taken offline to avoid impeding further investigation. I suspect the PATRIOT act was invoked, but others in the web hosting business said that child pornography would have resulted in the same type of gag order being imposed.

4) The 73,000 bloggers essentially represent "collateral damage" here. In a posting I made on Slashdot, I likened the situation to a magazine with lots of individual contributors. If one of the contributors posted child pornography in his or her article, you can be sure the magazine would be impounded regardless of whether the other articles were totally legitimate.

5) The guy running this service seems like a whiny nutcase. It apparently never crossed his mind that giving away free blogs to all comers might encourage someone to store illegal materials on the server he was renting. He figured he could sit at home and watch his AdSense revenues come rolling in without having to pay attention to what was actually on the machine. Yes, with 73K accounts that would be a difficult thing to do, but no one said running a blogging host was going to be easy. Whether the hoster has some type of editorial responsibility is an important policy issue that, as far as I know, has not been extensively considered or litigated (outside of the take-down provisions of the DMCA that govern potential copyright infringement).

There are lots of complicated issues here, but imagining that the stormtroopers have arrived and are trampling on free speech and small animals is an over-exaggeration. If you want to have a serious discussion about how blogging should be treated in terms of free-speech issues, let's have that discussion. There are already four pages over at Slashdot on how the US is now like China and how fascism is on the rise in America. Let's not replicate that conversation here.
Damn you and your facts getting in the way of everyone ranting about scanlators being taken down and evil fascist government censorship.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 04:05   Link #16
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Damn you and your facts getting in the way of everyone ranting about scanlators being taken down and evil fascist government censorship.
Seriously, now we have to find something else to make conspiracy theories about.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 05:17   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
It would probably have been easier if everyone had just gone to http://wordpress.com/ and saw it was still up.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 05:39   Link #18
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It would probably have been easier if everyone had just gone to http://wordpress.com/ and saw it was still up.
I did that, lol.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 06:07   Link #19
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Interesting.
__________________
Sin of Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 09:16   Link #20
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It would probably have been easier if everyone had just gone to http://wordpress.com/ and saw it was still up.
But it's so much more fun to come up with conspiracy theories.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.