AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-11-19, 23:42   Link #2141
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
9mm full metal jackets are not even worth their own weight, but other types of 9mm bullet tips are perfectly fine. The FMJ round in 9mm just does not have enough ballistic force per round to make it worthwhile... much like the 5.56 NATO, imho.
If headshots are the only sure way to kill them then those rounds will still be effective. I won't say the same about the 9mm in general though when it comes to killing humans or medium to large size animals.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 05:25   Link #2142
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
If headshots are the only sure way to kill them then those rounds will still be effective. I won't say the same about the 9mm in general though when it comes to killing humans or medium to large size animals.
ballistics aside, the 9mm, FMJ or HP, is effective in doing just that. damn thing flies straight and true, and from what i could tell, it has only a little recoil (one of my lulz'd up friends said this was the reason why HK's MP5 was that).

oh and can anyone confirm me that SWAT and police use the UMP?
Old 2010-11-20, 12:34   Link #2143
Lost Cause

Actually considering the last few posts, I was wandering if a survivor might be better off with a manually operated rifle? Like say a bolt action or lever action? There's less to go wrong or mess with in terms of cleaning. That and the fact that you only have a few bullets in said rifle will make you think before shooting at a group of zombies! So who beside me likes the idea of say a bolt action .308 over your typical AR or AK?
As for pistols, I'll take whatever is handy, just so long as it's accurate!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 12:49   Link #2144
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Actually considering the last few posts, I was wandering if a survivor might be better off with a manually operated rifle? Like say a bolt action or lever action? There's less to go wrong or mess with in terms of cleaning. That and the fact that you only have a few bullets in said rifle will make you think before shooting at a group of zombies! So who beside me likes the idea of say a bolt action .308 over your typical AR or AK?
As for pistols, I'll take whatever is handy, just so long as it's accurate!
For noobs, or long long term out in the wilderness, I agree a good bolt-action or lever-aciton would be better. But if you have access to cleaning equipment, I'll take the high capacity types for most other situations. For that "you never know when you'll need a 20 round magazine capacity..." situations.
Old 2010-11-20, 14:05   Link #2145
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
For noobs, or long long term out in the wilderness, I agree a good bolt-action or lever-aciton would be better. But if you have access to cleaning equipment, I'll take the high capacity types for most other situations. For that "you never know when you'll need a 20 round magazine capacity..." situations.
STANAGs are always available in the US and any country that uses M16 based lower receivers (i would be oh so happy if the 5.56mm version of the IMI galil would accept STANAG).

in multiplayer terms of camping, i can use the M1913 springfield if i am hunting, but when in combat when i am using the piece, i prefer to be LRS....
Old 2010-11-20, 19:11   Link #2146
Lost Cause

Ok, I get it! But what I'm trying to get across here is in a "bug out" situation are you really going to need that much firepower? Sure in a fight you might, but isn't best to try and avoid a confrontation than make yourself a target?
The way I see it is if you can turn "the herd" so to speak with one shot from long distance it would be better than unloading those 20 bullets at closeer range and attempting escape.
Also what about spare parts? Something is going to break sooner or later! And how much ammunition do you intend to carry? Remember your going to have food, water, and various neccesities as well. And sooner or later your vehicle is going to run out of gas.
What would be your minimum loadout?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-20, 19:26   Link #2147
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Quote:
Ok, I get it! But what I'm trying to get across here is in a "bug out" situation are you really going to need that much firepower? Sure in a fight you might, but isn't best to try and avoid a confrontation than make yourself a target?
The way I see it is if you can turn "the herd" so to speak with one shot from long distance it would be better than unloading those 20 bullets at closeer range and attempting escape.
Also what about spare parts? Something is going to break sooner or later! And how much ammunition do you intend to carry? Remember your going to have food, water, and various neccesities as well. And sooner or later your vehicle is going to run out of gas.
What would be your minimum loadout?
How far a range are you talking here Linda? An AR-10 or Ar-15 will have a far greater range than say a 30-30 Lever Action. Also, a .308 or 30-30, or 30-06, the ammunition will be heavier per round than say a 5.56/.223 or other lighter rounds, not to mention longer(they take up more space).

As for needing spare parts... Yeah if you're planning on shooting thousands of rounds through them. Otherwise you may never need another part for any of these rifles. Keeping them clean will be far more important.

My minimum loadout if i have to abandon my vehicle and head for the hills, is an AR-15 with 6 spare magazines. Probably 210 rounds of .223/5.56 goodness since I wouldn't have any spare boxes of ammunition(keeping room and weight for other stuff). Also a .40 S&W Glock or Smith and Wesson M&P with 6 extra magazines and about 11X rounds(depending on the size of the magazines and 1x 50rd box). Last but not least, a sharp knife. Total weight for all of this shouldn't be more than 12-14 lbs.

If you've got the capability for offense, you can not only defend what supplies you have, but also fight for future supplies that you come across. I like not limiting my options when possible.
Old 2010-11-20, 19:44   Link #2148
Lost Cause

I was thinking at least 500yds. And the 30/30 was just an idea since they are quite numerous and popular with hunter. I was thinking a decent sporting rifle in .308 with say 100 bullets (5 shot repeater, loaded one at a time) and my old 1911 with 4 clips each holding 7 rounds and a spare 100 rounds of bullets, probably closer to 15 pounds or more. Plus a backpack or duffle full of food and clothes and a first aid kit. Total weight not more than 40 lbs. Plus a spare parts kit!
No I'm not planning on a major fight, the .45 can handle anything out to 50yds. after that it's rifle time.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-20, 22:29   Link #2149
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Quote:
I was thinking at least 500yds. And the 30/30 was just an idea since they are quite numerous and popular with hunter. I was thinking a decent sporting rifle in .308 with say 100 bullets (5 shot repeater, loaded one at a time) and my old 1911 with 4 clips each holding 7 rounds and a spare 100 rounds of bullets, probably closer to 15 pounds or more. Plus a backpack or duffle full of food and clothes and a first aid kit. Total weight not more than 40 lbs. Plus a spare parts kit!
No I'm not planning on a major fight, the .45 can handle anything out to 50yds. after that it's rifle time.
You do have an advantage Linda, in the fact that you have a big bad Marine Husband who can compliment whatever gear you take with you with his own. It gives you a lot more possibilities, than someone who is going solo and has to make certain sacrifices based on needs at the time.

Now if Valene(last girl I dated but still keep in contact with) was my counter-part, I'd give her my Savage 10/22 and a 9mm side-arm. You can carry a lot more .22 ammo than you can anything else which would be good for hunting out in the wild(rabbits and coyotes and the like).
Old 2010-11-20, 23:04   Link #2150
Lost Cause

You got me there justinstrife! and a .22 can be lethal when properly applied! As for Ron, well somebody has to carry the M-249!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-20, 23:20   Link #2151
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Quote:
You got me there justinstrife! and a .22 can be lethal when properly applied! As for Ron, well somebody has to carry the M-249!
Bad-Ass.
Old 2010-11-20, 23:21   Link #2152
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
No way man. I am a machine-gunner during my army days, and carrying the gun isn't fun, neither is running two clicks with it. The guy lugging the spare ammo is even worse off since he has to carry his rifle AND the spare ammo of BOTH GUNS.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 23:31   Link #2153
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
No way man. I am a machine-gunner during my army days, and carrying the gun isn't fun, neither is running two clicks with it. The guy lugging the spare ammo is even worse off since he has to carry his rifle AND the spare ammo of BOTH GUNS.
Actually I'm the one carrying the rifle! Ron's got a lot of experience with the 249, he carried one during several engagements in Iraq and preferred it to the M-4.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-21, 22:46   Link #2154
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
its that or you gear the "PIG" of the M60E4..... im no Rambo but that thing is so damn heavy that i actually used a bipod for once....

have to agree with you toting the 249 isnt a very friendly choice.... but at least its lighter than most... unless if you want to SLING an m2hb without mounting in a vehicle.

if you want hi cap without weight, i think that some military forces use the C drum magazine for STANAG base rifles, but im not so sure about combat reliability. the .22 LR rifle i know is that of a lever action design that holds about 4 or more...

i finally know how to aim with the damn M203... FINALLY..... that trip to Belgium was worth it
Old 2010-11-22, 23:17   Link #2155
Lost Cause

In retrospect justinstrife makes great sense! "A good offence is the best defence!"
Besides if your only fighting a defenceive battle you'll never get out of your own backyard! You have to be at willing to go out a recon an area to see what your up against and to find fresh supplies.
In other words, sometimes risk has it's rewards!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-23, 01:11   Link #2156
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory

Quote:
In retrospect justinstrife makes great sense! "A good offence is the best defence!"
Besides if your only fighting a defenceive battle you'll never get out of your own backyard! You have to be at willing to go out a recon an area to see what your up against and to find fresh supplies.
In other words, sometimes risk has it's rewards!
lets brush up our history.... shall we?

BATTLE OF DUNKIRK
-snipers took a heavy toll on advancing Germans
-fighting retreat
-danger close support (if artillery blowing up near you isnt, prove me wrong)

well LC has a point...
Old 2010-11-24, 02:12   Link #2157
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Asking for advice from the professionals and putting Zombie again in the topic.

When fighting against "running zombies" ( like those in the DAWN OF THE DEAD), what would be better to use? Automatic or single? Heavy firearms or the light ones? Short or long ones?

How about accessories? like grenades? or anything? Please give some tips, Master..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 03:17   Link #2158
james0246

^Grenades are fairly pointless. They're one-time use devices that while destructive are only useful against a horde, and not that useful (better to use some sort of incendiary device).

For "fast" zombies, a SMG would be sufficient for close-range (I'd aim for the legs, since it would be harder to take head-shots from a faster moving target). But, as with most posters on this thread, I'd stay as far as possible from the actual threat and use a rifle of some sort to take down the beasts from afar (preferably before it can become aware of you). (Many posters have mentioned several good rifles so far in this thread.)

Now the main accessory you'll want is some good bite-resistant clothing. Protect the neck, the ankles and the arms, and you'll be okay from the unforeseen bite (which is the one that will always get you in the end). Add a decent pair of boots to that, with a good thick pair of jeans and a decent coat and you'll be set for basic survival.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 03:21   Link #2159
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
For "fast" zombies, a SMG would be sufficient for close-range (I'd aim for the legs, since it would be harder to take head-shots from a faster moving target). But, as with most posters on this thread, I'd stay as far as possible from the actual threat and use a rifle of some sort to take down the beasts from afar (preferably before it can become aware of you). (Many posters have mentioned several good rifles so far in this thread.)
Using a rifle to pick off zombies from afar is probably good for a little bit, but if there are about a dozen of them when you make that shot, they will surely come rushing in the direction you fired (if they can tell) or they will just start running around like crazy trying to find who fired, so it will be pretty much impossible to shoot the rest from long range.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 03:27   Link #2160
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Using a rifle to pick off zombies from afar is probably good for a little bit, but if there are about a dozen of them when you make that shot, they will surely come rushing in the direction you fired (if they can tell) or they will just start running around like crazy trying to find who fired, so it will be pretty much impossible to shoot the rest from long range.
That is really what I wanted to reason out. Nice one!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies