AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-16, 17:54   Link #201
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsovin View Post
Stand corrected. But I was thinking he had the typical hand thrown grenades in mind.

Plus isn't there a minimum safe distance for such weapons? I was under the impression even those 40mm grenades have tot ravel a certain distance before "arming". Would make clearing an area you intend to run to easier, but not for more "immediate" combat.
Discretionary. HEDP rounds have a danger radius of 130m, and a kill/injury radius of 20m. Since the grenade launcher has a leaf sight of between 50 - 250m, and the round needs to be shot beyond 30m to arm itself (force on the fuze to trigger an explosion, projectile motion kinematics - draw your own triangles!), your best bet would be for 100m or beyond.

Since you would be engaging in zombies between 25-50m at safest, those weapons are better off used as booby traps. Unless you find a really large horde of zombies, explosive weapons are better off used for clearing rooms : in which hand grenades are more useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsovin View Post
But I wouldn't mind one of THESE mounted on my truck.

<snip>
Shoot that at anything less than 50m and all you get is a automatic NERF gun.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 18:08   Link #202
Darsovin
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Shoot that at anything less than 50m and all you get is a automatic NERF gun.
That's what the .50 cal would be for in that case!
Darsovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 22:20   Link #203
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
@MeoTwister

I'm from Rizal Province. :P There's a small dealer of weapons within the town, and like I said, it would be far from my house. Luckily, there is a large supermarket and a mall on the way. The main problem would be the fact that the supermarket only has two available entrances that I know and when those two gets closed off, I'm pretty much screwed.

As for the mall, there are at least ten entrance points including the access from the basement, so going to the hardware store will be easier. But only if I could sneak from those zombies for that kind of distance.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Winter 2015: Durarara!! x2, Koufuku Graffiti, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Tsukimonogatari, and Kantai Collection.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 224. Plan to watch: 40.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 22:27   Link #204
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Could someone explain the obsession with high caliber pistols by some people in this thread? If you need to hit a zombie in the skulls to kill him, what's the difference between using a 9mm and a .50AE? A 9mm will penetrate zed's skull. Hell, even a puny .22 long rifle can't be discounted from at least becoming lodged in the brain. What's the purpose of an over sized round like the .50AE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Politcal alignment have nothing to do with Z-day survival, it's more about what length one is willing to do to survive. I am as socialist as an eurofag can get but in that situation my survival instinct sure gonna take over my political ideas. And I hope that survivors can put their political differences aside for the sake of the greater good. Yeah, I am less pessimistic than Romero.

Also, interesting site.
Well, survival does sorta go into the realm of politics...nations with *right leaning* stances on private citizens having access to weapons will generally do better than nations with *left leaning* stances on such matter.


The average Texan has a higher chance of surviving than your average New Yorker since he has easier access to weapons.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 22:55   Link #205
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Could someone explain the obsession with high caliber pistols by some people in this thread? If you need to hit a zombie in the skulls to kill him, what's the difference between using a 9mm and a .50AE? A 9mm will penetrate zed's skull. Hell, even a puny .22 long rifle can't be discounted from at least becoming lodged in the brain. What's the purpose of an over sized round like the .50AE?
Well, a .22 would typically require a direct shot to the brain case (forehead, side of the head, etc), whereas a higher caliber round can make it through the facial bones to reach the brain in the event of a less than pinpoint shot. Plus, if you had no time to line up shots, you could inflict enough damage with general cover fire to knock a few over and slow down the horde, giving you enough time to flee.

.50 in a pistol is a little counter productive when facing a horde, though. A slightly smaller caliber in exchange for a larger magazine would be a better approach. Plus, .50 can be harder to re-aim and fire in rapid succession with the required accuracy. A 9mm would probably be plenty in most cases, really, unless you're facing down a zombie grizzly, or some other kind of non-human zombie. Although even a 9mm has been known to be stopped by flukes, such as being deflected by teeth, and such.

Last edited by Neat Hedgehog; 2010-07-16 at 23:12. Reason: spelling
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 23:00   Link #206
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
During a horde encounter you'd likely want something that has a high ROF, and probably something with full auto capabilities. Yeah, you're not going to want to be stuck firing a .50 AE with an 8-round mag into a group of zombies.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 23:44   Link #207
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I wouldn't want a handgun in this case, their usually not effective over 5-10m, give me a rifle any day. If you meet a horde, make sure your not surrounded, then shoot, retreat and repeat as necessary as long as your ammo holds out. Alternatively, set off a distraction and get your ass out of there, we're trying to survive, not save the world here.

While in a stronghold, I think that setting up a holding area for those people who just got in would be good, just in case they got Z-ed and don't know or admit to it. Leave those who made their way here or came back from a supply run in there for 24 hours before letting them into the main area, just in case.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 00:29   Link #208
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Offtopic:
I think the next anime convention SHOULD have this as one of their panels. It would be a very hot panel.

On-topic:
What do you guys think about very slippery stuff used to slow down zombies? Do you think it would just make things more chaotic or it would be an effective strat against zombies?
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Winter 2015: Durarara!! x2, Koufuku Graffiti, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Tsukimonogatari, and Kantai Collection.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 224. Plan to watch: 40.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 00:37   Link #209
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of Angels
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero92 View Post
lololol the ants, didn't die right ayaw? see that what happens with zombies, they won't die right away aso they are on fire and STILL comming for you
They didn't die at all! I sprayed them with gasoline and they were on fire for a good 3+ mins and even turned blue but the lil bastards didn't die, well at least not until I stopped setting them on fire and enjoying the show an hour later... maybe they died hours after that, who knows. Still warrior ants are impressive as hell.



When it comes to dealing with zombies I dont see any other way than to use heavy weapons (incendiary rounds are a must). Katanas are cool n all but if you have 10+ zombies on yer heinie then thats as far as cool will take ya

Setting them bastards on fire is also a no-go according to my experience with warrior ants. Zombies that are set on fire may die slowly but in the mean time they had enough time to bite your head off
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 01:13   Link #210
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsovin View Post
That's what the .50 cal would be for in that case!
I would like to have them, but those girls kick real hard, shoot real loud and overheat much more easily than the GPMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
I wouldn't want a handgun in this case, their usually not effective over 5-10m, give me a rifle any day. If you meet a horde, make sure your not surrounded, then shoot, retreat and repeat as necessary as long as your ammo holds out. Alternatively, set off a distraction and get your ass out of there, we're trying to survive, not save the world here.

While in a stronghold, I think that setting up a holding area for those people who just got in would be good, just in case they got Z-ed and don't know or admit to it. Leave those who made their way here or came back from a supply run in there for 24 hours before letting them into the main area, just in case.
Never underestimate the pistol (9mm) or revolver (.38). Unlike rifles, those guns rarely jam on you, and they are a good backup should your main weapon jam. And with proper aim, they can hit stuff up to 50m. 20m is your best aiming range for quick draws.

Regarding a Z-infestation over here, the first thing you can hear most citizens say is "I want to complain!". If one of them turns, and we shoot him/her, the others inside the cell will panic.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 01:27   Link #211
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I would like to have them, but those girls kick real hard, shoot real loud and overheat much more easily than the GPMG.



Never underestimate the pistol (9mm) or revolver (.38). Unlike rifles, those guns rarely jam on you, and they are a good backup should your main weapon jam. And with proper aim, they can hit stuff up to 50m. 20m is your best aiming range for quick draws.

Regarding a Z-infestation over here, the first thing you can hear most citizens say is "I want to complain!". If one of them turns, and we shoot him/her, the others inside the cell will panic.
How's about an FN Five-Seven? 20 round mag and uses the 5.7x28mm "magic bullets". 50m effective range and penetrates like an assault rifle.

Of course good luck finding one of these babies considering all the controversies surrounding the gun and how it's supposed to be too powerful for its own good (I heard it can cut through Level 2 Kevlar like paper).
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 02:26   Link #212
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
How's about an FN Five-Seven? 20 round mag and uses the 5.7x28mm "magic bullets". 50m effective range and penetrates like an assault rifle.

Of course good luck finding one of these babies considering all the controversies surrounding the gun and how it's supposed to be too powerful for its own good (I heard it can cut through Level 2 Kevlar like paper).
Only for the duty rounds. The bullet and weapon system are largely designed and built by Fabrique Nationale, a Belgian company.

The only place to find the gun would be the military, and it would be under the FN P90 PDW. ST Kinetics (Singapore) also designed the CPW machine pistol (namely a MP7 rip-off crossed with a Micro Uzi...those engineers don't have any creativity) to chamber for the 5.7x28mm and 4.7x30mm rounds, both of which have AP (steel core SS190, 191 and 193) versions restricted only to militaries and law enforcement.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 02:48   Link #213
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Well it's not like you'll get your hands on 191's since Tracers are illegal outside licensed gun ranges in most countries. In this case if you're looking for Military grade rounds you'd likely want the 193 subsonics since these zombies are reactive to sound, and the absence of the sonic boom coupled with a suppressor (if you even find one) should give some sort of an advantage.

Since it's the 197s that are sold commercially those are the ones you'll need but I'm not familiar how it matches up in terms of stability and power compared to the 190 duty.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 05:12   Link #214
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The girl's bathroom
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well it's not like you'll get your hands on 191's since Tracers are illegal outside licensed gun ranges in most countries. In this case if you're looking for Military grade rounds you'd likely want the 193 subsonics since these zombies are reactive to sound, and the absence of the sonic boom coupled with a suppressor (if you even find one) should give some sort of an advantage.

Since it's the 197s that are sold commercially those are the ones you'll need but I'm not familiar how it matches up in terms of stability and power compared to the 190 duty.
The SS197SR has a slightly heavier projectile weight and travel marginally faster than the SS109 AP rounds. They use a V-MAX Hornady tip which I've loaded .30 cal versions before and they are a solid hunting round offering excellent accuracy with good expansion even at closer ranges.

The nature of the 5.7x28mm cartridge coupled with the hunting tip would give total energy transfer and really mess up the insides of the target.

Imagine a headshot with one of those... Ouch.
__________________

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 08:10   Link #215
ZeKeR
Superbad
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
Send a message via Skype™ to ZeKeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
The SS197SR has a slightly heavier projectile weight and travel marginally faster than the SS109 AP rounds. They use a V-MAX Hornady tip which I've loaded .30 cal versions before and they are a solid hunting round offering excellent accuracy with good expansion even at closer ranges.

The nature of the 5.7x28mm cartridge coupled with the hunting tip would give total energy transfer and really mess up the insides of the target.

Imagine a headshot with one of those... Ouch.
hmm.... do they still make AT rifles nowadays? like that soviet PTRS/D? i hope so... coz tho it has limited mags, i'd be happy to see shitloads of headless zombies or with huge holes in thar bodies lying on the road....

UGL's are... umm... well.... i dunno.... if its GL's you want.... recommend teh GL40.... a revolver nade launcher
__________________
lets roll
ZeKeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 09:27   Link #216
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
hmm.... do they still make AT rifles nowadays? like that soviet PTRS/D? i hope so... coz tho it has limited mags, i'd be happy to see shitloads of headless zombies or with huge holes in thar bodies lying on the road....

UGL's are... umm... well.... i dunno.... if its GL's you want.... recommend teh GL40.... a revolver nade launcher
Well the M82A1 was technically made to kill trucks and tanks so...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 09:51   Link #217
ZeKeR
Superbad
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
Send a message via Skype™ to ZeKeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well the M82A1 was technically made to kill trucks and tanks so...
eh? i thought that the .50BMG is only limited to light vehicles? i cant imagine it stopping a tank..... if they ever found a barrett.... kouta will and i mean WILL shat brix
__________________
lets roll
ZeKeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 10:11   Link #218
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
.50 with AP rounds probably won't hit inside heavy tanks, but previous generation tanks should sustain some damage. However, it can perforate concrete at will. Check the 20mm round used by another ancient-into-modern-times weapon : the Oerlikon CIS gun. Now that is something to talk about.

Regarding AT rifles, the only one still in use is the 85mm recoil-less gun. It is considered a rifle in military circles back when it was designed and built actually. Otherwise, the closest anti-tank rifle is the Indian Vidhwansak, firing the 20x82mm round. The cone of spin of the bullet is so large that it can cut a human being into half.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 10:24   Link #219
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
.50 with AP rounds probably won't hit inside heavy tanks, but previous generation tanks should sustain some damage. However, it can perforate concrete at will. Check the 20mm round used by another ancient-into-modern-times weapon : the Oerlikon CIS gun. Now that is something to talk about.

Regarding AT rifles, the only one still in use is the 85mm recoil-less gun. It is considered a rifle in military circles back when it was designed and built actually. Otherwise, the closest anti-tank rifle is the Indian Vidhwansak, firing the 20x82mm round. The cone of spin of the bullet is so large that it can cut a human being into half.
The 85mm shouldn't even be considered a rifle. That shit's bigger than most projectiles used by anything during the first half of the 20th century, discounting the famous German 88's.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 10:31   Link #220
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
eh? i thought that the .50BMG is only limited to light vehicles? i cant imagine it stopping a tank..... if they ever found a barrett.... kouta will and i mean WILL shat brix
The use of 12.7mm and 14.5mm rounds at one point in time as anti tank rounds really says more about early tanks than it does about their overall effectiveness. Modern day AFV's are bigger than many things that were qualified as tanks.

Though I can't imagine why you'd use a round like this against a zombie.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.