AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-15, 12:54   Link #121
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
*electricity/nerve gas*
Considering they still rely on their nervous system then logically speaking those things should effect them...however most zombies seem to have a rather physically impossible physiology. Let Mr.T Elaborate.

In short, for Zombies to work they need a physiology completely unlike any living organism on earth. Their entire physiology needs to change in order to accommodate what we see them do.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 13:37   Link #122
Darsovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

I don't see how eating brains can sustain the brain activity of the zombified brain, unless it is able to feed nutrients directly to the bone marrow to regenerate cells, or it has got to do with the neural stem cells being able to consistently regenerate
A possibly explanation is that without higher cerebral functions the brain reverts to the more primitive portions of the brain. Thus loss of higher brain functions from the cerebrum. These portions of the brain such as the pons, midbrain, medulla are enough to keep a body "alive", but you can't write Shakespeare with just those parts.

And I would postulate the ravenous desire to eat the living and especially brains is probably from an instinctual drive. Such intense cravings are known in the medical community as Pica. Subjects who are iron deficient have been known to crave eating dirt, metal, or other substances to try and replace the nutritional deficiency.

But honestly muscle tissue can't function without metabolism and blood flow. Acidosis in the tissues would set in and ion channels would fail without metabolism, meaning muscle fibers could not contract and release. Which is why when you die you get "Rigor mortis", the muscle fibers just seize up and can't relax. So despite having a stopped heart a zombie could probably function for a while, but I bet you could wait it out until the whole system just breaks down.
Darsovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 15:27   Link #123
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Considering they still rely on their nervous system then logically speaking those things should effect them...however most zombies seem to have a rather physically impossible physiology. Let Mr.T Elaborate.

In short, for Zombies to work they need a physiology completely unlike any living organism on earth. Their entire physiology needs to change in order to accommodate what we see them do.
Have you read that book btw? (it's an interesting read, the dude really went far with the "joke")

Anyway the point is that the corpse of a zombie is dead but the virus (solanum) keeps some brain cells alive until the body decomposes, hence why the body still functions. The bigger question is how Solanum itself survives but that's a different question.

Btw zombies aren't immortal, they keep moving until enough cells in the body rot. Simple as that. It's also why cold is not a very good ally in fighting the undead (a frozen zombie may be harmless in winter but when summer comes around he just might wake up and bite ya!)

PS: btw why are we looking for real physiology to support zombies? Zombies aren't real LOL

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 15:52   Link #124
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Something like this would allow you to just burn everything around you and not worry about burning yourself (as long as you don't go too overboard). Plus, you can always install things like grappling hooks and what not to pull yourself out of a sticky situation. Plus, even, if they pile on you, if they can't bite or claw you because of the suit, that gives your allies enough time to kill them and get them off of you. As opposed to instant death if you weren't wearing something like this. Also, you don't need these things to be bullet proof, just scratch/bite/stab proof. Also, your mobility shouldn't be that impeded by it, as Knights in medieval times could actually SWIM in full plate.
Knights could swim with all that plate on? o_o
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 16:07   Link #125
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Anyway the point is that the corpse of a zombie is dead but the virus (solanum) keeps some brain cells alive until the body decomposes, hence why the body still functions. The bigger question is how Solanum itself survives but that's a different question.
The point I'm making (which wasn't that the ZSG was a bad book) was that solanum has to do more than just keep the brain alive. It also needs to alter and support nearly every other aspect of the zombies physiology. Cause if the muscles are the same they're not going to continue functioning with the absence of chemicals needed to induce their contraction.

Bassically a zombie should be approached by default as if it was a completely alien organism that has no biological similarities to any complex macro organism on earth. Therefore exotic weapons designed to kill regular organisms (like poison gas) must be considered suspect in their effectiveness.
Old 2010-07-15, 16:33   Link #126
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

You guys are assuming the zombies have to be dead first, it could be something like Left 4 Dead, 28 Days Later or I am legend, a virus that causes people to become cannibalistic and extremely violent. Since I'm only 15 I dont really know how biologically it would work, the point is the zombies being only infected and not actually dead makes it much easier to explain or back up the possiblity of zombies ever existing.

Anyway unlike you lot I'm not preparing for a zombie attack, I'm preparing for an alien invasion, I call dibs on becoming a super soldier. Or for humans to colonize other planets and the inevitable interplanetary wars.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 16:42   Link #127
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Since I'm only 15 I dont really know how biologically it would work
It'd probably be something akin to rabies.

Runner zombies certainly be quite vulnerable to things like poison/nerve gas, not to mention to succumbing to center mass wounds. Of course they're much greater speed and reactions compared to shamblers makes them significantly more dangerious.
Old 2010-07-15, 17:49   Link #128
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , of course i don't take it seriously to be prepared to a Zombies apocalypse (imo will never happens or maybe 1000years + later . Yes , Aliens have more chance to happen . ) but it's fun to get a Zombie survival guide

Anyway , i want to talk about the zombies in hotd .

To resume :

- They are slow -> You can dance with them .
- They are blind -> You can make funny face or whatever they don't care .
- They are powerfull -> Yes , don't ask me how suddenly they got powered-up Well maybe with the virus , it amplify their strengh who knows .
- They can hear you -> Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .
- They are light ? -> Remember Rei with her spear .
- Headshot/Dead -> or Nothing/You dead

- But they can't smell you -> Fortunately

So for close range , i think a shotgun auto will do the job . *Tactical shotgun too* (eh? i play too much L4D )

Edit : Fixed

Last edited by -Sho-; 2010-07-15 at 18:26.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 18:10   Link #129
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
- They are slow -> You can dance with them .
- They are blind -> You can make funny face or whatever they don't care .
- They are powerfull -> Yes , don't ask me how suddenly they got powered-up Well maybe with the virus , it amplify their strengh who knows .
- They can hear you -> Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .
- They are light ? -> Remember Alice with her spear .
- Headshot/Dead -> or Nothing/You dead

- But they can't smell you -> Fortunately

So for close range , i think a shotgun auto will do the job . *Tactical shotgun too* (eh? i play too much L4D )
- They are powerful - I believe this is regards to the subconscious limitations our own bodies applies to our muscles. In reality, we are all stronger than we think we are. However, we never use 100% full muscle strength or else we risk seriously injuring ourselves. There are those old stories of people lifting outrageously heavy objects such as cars and helicopters, usually when powered up by adrenaline (I have no cite-able proof for this, other than memory), but it goes to show you what our potential strength is compared to our everyday level. Thus, when zombified, that limitation is gone, and we get pretty strong zombies. I could go on about adrenaline, ATP, creatine, etc., but I think I covered it.

- They are light - I'm guessing you meant Rei, the spear girl, and not Alice the loli. It's not that the zombies magically become lighter, but that her skill, strength, and form allows her to transfer a lot of power from her weapon into her target.
Old 2010-07-15, 18:28   Link #130
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yes i was thinking about it too , we just use 20% muscles (if i remember)

Ah lol , fixed , yes i mean Rei .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:23   Link #131
james0246

Quote:
Anyway unlike you lot I'm not preparing for a zombie attack, I'm preparing for an alien invasion, I call dibs on becoming a super soldier. Or for humans to colonize other planets and the inevitable interplanetary wars.
Personally, I'm waiting for the Triffids to attack.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:28   Link #132
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
I don't worry much about those last one, we'll have GUNDAMU by then

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:40   Link #133
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Personally, I'm waiting for the Triffids to attack.
I'm waiting for the Covenant, they're basically alien catholics (no offence to any catholic people). I mean the old catholics that used to be very extremist in their views. That or Krogans/Turians.

I would prefer the Krogans or Turians myself.

@Dextro, Still I have always wanted to be a supersoldier.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:57   Link #134
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Knights could swim with all that plate on? o_o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_armour#Composition

Yup, they're not that heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
- They are powerful - I believe this is regards to the subconscious limitations our own bodies applies to our muscles. In reality, we are all stronger than we think we are. However, we never use 100% full muscle strength or else we risk seriously injuring ourselves. There are those old stories of people lifting outrageously heavy objects such as cars and helicopters, usually when powered up by adrenaline (I have no cite-able proof for this, other than memory), but it goes to show you what our potential strength is compared to our everyday level. Thus, when zombified, that limitation is gone, and we get pretty strong zombies. I could go on about adrenaline, ATP, creatine, etc., but I think I covered it.

- They are light - I'm guessing you meant Rei, the spear girl, and not Alice the loli. It's not that the zombies magically become lighter, but that her skill, strength, and form allows her to transfer a lot of power from her weapon into her target.
That's assuming a fresh zombie, but when their flesh is rotting off and what not, I really don't think they can utilize all their strength without their flesh literally falling off or breaking.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 21:00   Link #135
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory

sod supersoldiers.... even a supersoldier cant take on an entire city of zombies.... an army is fine... but a city? FFFFFFUUUU-
Old 2010-07-15, 21:13   Link #136
disposablehero92
the guy with the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_armour#Composition

Yup, they're not that heavy.

That's assuming a fresh zombie, but when their flesh is rotting off and what not, I really don't think they can utilize all their strength without their flesh literally falling off or breaking.
yes true, the longer a zombie is active the less effective i would think it is, after all mucles tears all the time, but zombies don't heal, so the tears would add up until they don't work any more....

also in the zombie survival guide dosn't is say that bbecause solunium will kill other bacteria the decomp cycle gets fudged up cuz the decomposize micro organisms die when they try to break down infected flesh? so yeah...i think the zombie would take longer to decomp than people think...

disposablehero92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 21:52   Link #137
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion
There's a lot of assumptions we're playing off of here, such as zombie type, method of infection, length of time since Z-day, etc.

While yes, if indeed zombies are rotting and you meet on three weeks into the process, their flesh will have decayed, that means you've been surviving for those three weeks. Be it hiding in a safe place or actively moving around and blasting the horde, a late-stage zombie wouldn't be all that worrisome. You would already know about their peculiarities, strengths, and weaknesses. Right in the beginning, however, when you don't expect it, their increased strength can be overwhelming.

EDIT - About the armor topic: sure, plate armor is protective, and well-made armor is not as heavy as people may expect it to be (same goes with the big two-hander swords), it's still weight on your body that you have to move around in. Unless you've been training in armor and are fit enough to carry around 45 lbs / 20 kg without issue, you're going to get tired quickly. You may trip. Then here comes the horde, and while they may be unable to rip into your tender flesh, they'll still drip bodily fluids on you.

Now you're zombie knight! Go find your zombie princess, or find another zombie to clack together coconuts as you shamble.
Old 2010-07-15, 21:57   Link #138
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
There's a lot of assumptions we're playing off of here, such as zombie type, method of infection, length of time since Z-day, etc.

While yes, if indeed zombies are rotting and you meet on three weeks into the process, their flesh will have decayed, that means you've been surviving for those three weeks. Be it hiding in a safe place or actively moving around and blasting the horde, a late-stage zombie wouldn't be all that worrisome. You would already know about their peculiarities, strengths, and weaknesses. Right in the beginning, however, when you don't expect it, their increased strength can be overwhelming.
and what late stage zombie are you talking about? those that now have basic abilities like George Romero's zombies?
Old 2010-07-15, 22:27   Link #139
FateAnomaly

Hmm how about alien zombies then?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 23:32   Link #140
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
and what late stage zombie are you talking about? those that now have basic abilities like George Romero's zombies?
The late-stage zombie I meant was what Xion Valkyrie mentioned, when a zombie's flesh is well into the rotting stage and the muscles are not so strong anymore. Assuming decomposition actually occurs, that flesh will eventually be goo.

Again, there are many assumptions we're going off of here. One thing that hasn't been agreed on is what kind of zombie are we will be facing. Different kinds of zombies call for different tactics, after all.

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies