AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

View Poll Results: Shippuden - Episode 168 Rating
Perfect 10 13 30.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 32.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 13.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful like after a full cup of coffee and a traffic jam 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-07-14, 20:38   Link #1
james0246

Welcome to the discussion thread for Naruto Shippuden, Episode 168.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Here's the info -

This Week's episode:
The Fourth Hokage - 四代目火影 ~ Yondaime Hokage.

Description:

Credits
Animation Supervisor: Ik-Hyun Eum (158, 150, 142)
Storyboard & Episode Director: Kiyomu Fukuda (158, 150, 142)
Screenplay: Masahiro Hikokubo (167, 166, 165)

Title for Next Episode:
The Two Disciples - ふたりの弟子 ~ Futari no deshi.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 21:12   Link #2
TheCoconutChef

"Power to believe" (ep 158) was, hands down, one of the worst ep of this arc. So I don't really like the director choice.

One the other hand, 166 was pretty much the best so, hurray for the screenplay guy.
TheCoconutChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 06:55   Link #3
EoT
~~

I quite enjoyed this episode! got a bit teary in it as well!
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 08:15   Link #4
kitten320

Nice episode, Pein was badass but once again the bad guy had fallen in lame way... seriously what had stopped him from stepping to the side when Naruto was flying towards him? I doubt that Naruto was moving at lightning speed and can maneuver in the air =/

Also was Hinata secretly working out?
Old 2010-07-15, 08:24   Link #5
DarkHollowIchigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Nice episode, Pein was badass but once again the bad guy had fallen in lame way... seriously what had stopped him from stepping to the side when Naruto was flying towards him? I doubt that Naruto was moving at lightning speed and can maneuver in the air =/

Also was Hinata secretly working out?
Yeah, that was 1 of those wth moments, just like when Naruto got Kakuzu offguard with a basic-nin diversion, wich ended up in kakuzu's death.

Anyway, i think this episode was pretty good.
Old 2010-07-15, 09:05   Link #6
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHollowIchigo View Post
Yeah, that was 1 of those wth moments, just like when Naruto got Kakuzu offguard with a basic-nin diversion, wich ended up in kakuzu's death.
At least that made a little bit of sense, this was just silly. Pain can jump over the Rasenshuriken that takes him by surprise but doesn't even attempt to dodge Naruto...

I did enjoy the episode I was just hoping for a more thought out plan for Pain's defeat.
Old 2010-07-15, 09:15   Link #7
Ze_

I for 1 loved this episode, favourite 1 so far :|
Old 2010-07-15, 09:28   Link #8
Jerseykid

Pain was defeated? I just see him getting pushed back by a rasengan. Surely a guy getting smashed over the head by a small landmass repeatedly wiley coyote style wouldn't be defeated by one simple rasengan to the stomach.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 09:47   Link #9
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Pain was defeated? I just see him getting pushed back by a rasengan. Surely a guy getting smashed over the head by a small landmass repeatedly wiley coyote style wouldn't be defeated by one simple rasengan to the stomach.
Oh, but he would be if struck by the power of main character, which is beyond our comprehension and goes beyond limits of normal rules that are set in this manga/anime...

Lame ass joking aside, nice episode except that for owning part. And seriously though, if it's not tactic number one: send few shadow clones, get behind with rasengan; it's tactic number two : send few shadow clones, get behind with rasengan which are also shadow clones and get the enemy from above with rasengan.
Old 2010-07-15, 09:52   Link #10
james0246

It's still extremely stupid for Minato to appear (especially since he serves no specific purpose besides some exposition andsome emotional value (that feels forced and contrived)). But, the Pain fight is over. Now all that is left is the Nagato battle.

edit: In regards to the discussion of Pain's defeat; I think the issue is compounded by the fact that Pain, just last episode, had his neck broken at least twice (probably more), and was able to sustain extreme violence from the Kyuubi itself before finally defeating the beast. But now in this episode, Pain is taken down in one or two hits. Claiming Nagato is weak and tired is the official excuse (from the manga as well), but the vast difference in ability from 167 to 168 makes the ending seem even more anti-climatic.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 10:15   Link #11
DarkHollowIchigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It's still extremely stupid for Minato to appear (especially since he serves no specific purpose besides some exposition andsome emotional value (that feels forced and contrived)). But, the Pain fight is over. Now all that is left is the Nagato battle.

edit: In regards to the discussion of Pain's defeat; I think the issue is compounded by the fact that Pain, just last episode, had his neck broken at least twice (probably more), and was able to sustain extreme violence from the Kyuubi itself before finally defeating the beast. But now in this episode, Pain is taken down in one or two hits. Claiming Nagato is weak and tired is the official excuse (from the manga as well), but the vast difference in ability from 167 to 168 makes the ending seem even more anti-climatic.
I'm not sure, Naruto almost went 9-tailes. That basicly triggered the last protection of the seal in the form of Minato. Now Naruto know's who his father is and he got prepped up physicaly as mentaly.

Nagato is exhausted, caughing up blood, almost no chakra left, this can be seen by him controling Yahiko at the end of the battle. Nagato basicly gave it all against the 9-tailed fox.
Old 2010-07-15, 11:01   Link #12
kitten320

^Yet he still kept fighting and avoiding all those clones but stood like an idiot when the lamest attack went towards him.
Old 2010-07-15, 11:01   Link #13
haegar
mangaviking

Dunno bout the dialogue yet, but otherwise, I was like totally happy with this one, nice pace, and while personally, I saw last weeks animation style as a failed experiment and thus couldn't rly appreciate the ep despite a general nice pacing and cuts, this weeks ep was just completely satisfying for me in that regard. Subarashiiiiiii!!! Hope they keep this up for the next few eps...

as for Naruto getting Pain overly easy with that Rasengan, I dunno what they talked about, but it seemed to me that the Futon Rasen Shuriken and the Mass Clone's he used prior to that final Rasengan hit wer meant as distractions to wear Pain down ... It was shown often enough how the fight put increasing strain on Nagato, and also, the last Pain was on his knees after the Kagebunshins... so I wouldn't call BS on this one - it was sufficiently hinted at why he managed to get him with such a (comparatively) low power attack, even without Sage Mode - and I can live with the explanation that the last Pain considerably dropped in reaction speed since Nagato is approaching his limit apparently ... there was also the fact that the last Shinra Tensei he used was already so weak he didn't even manage to blow away all of Naruto's clones ...
Old 2010-07-15, 12:13   Link #14
kitten320

Actually judjing by subs Naruto did it in order to get through 5 second limit that Pein has. So yes Pein could not push Naruto back but it really doesn't take that much effort to make two steps to the side... Pein wasn't THAT worn out =/
Old 2010-07-15, 12:17   Link #15
Bombo
TSF Fans

I like this episode and nice animation naruto with minato ...
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 12:24   Link #16
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Last week's episode was great. This week's episode was trash. I say this as a manga reader.

Plot armor is the most powerful thing in Shounen though.

I also don't like the happy type of Naruto music anymore. In part 2, in such a battle, it no longer fits right. Very anti-climatic way to end one of the greatest battles up to this point in the manga.

Whatever. I got what I wanted last episode , topped with pain breaking the 4th wall with the greatest "lol umad" moment of all time.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 12:25   Link #17
Khalin

Well that last fight sequence lasted less than 15 secs and was shown to us in around 5 minutes. Some of you guys might feel like Pein should have been able to dodge such a weak attack but keep in mind these fights are actually happening in split secs and not minutes.

If you are truly exhausted (already on your knees) you would know how hard it is to move your body.
Khalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 12:28   Link #18
kitten320

I know how it feels and 5 seconds actually might feel like hours but... the dumb thing is that Pein got enough time to comment on what is happening isntead of at least trying to dodge it. He didn't even attempt it.
Old 2010-07-15, 14:35   Link #19
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
In the manga it was more instantaneous how Naruto got the Rasengan in. But it was slightly extended in the anime.

Anyway it should be obvious to anyone that the kage bunshins were used to force Nagato to use his powers to give Naruto his five second interval.
Old 2010-07-15, 14:40   Link #20
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Pain was obviously exhausted by Naruto resisting his last push.