AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-03, 13:51   Link #81
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
For it to be tsun there has to be a so called "inner soft side". That's not the case here I think. Some characters just that attitude as "normal". I think because people expect every character these days to be some soft creampuff they instantly turn the tsun card whenever any tomboy like character turns up.
When they parted the first time at night, she shows her soft side for a scene there.
To me, being a tsundere needs both an "inner soft side" and a "pride" blend together, and "soft" doesn't necessarily mean "weak".

But whatever it is, I just like Merry for how she act in the manga. Not like I need to give her a category to like her anyway.
Old 2011-01-03, 14:07   Link #82
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
I don't think Merry is tsun at all. At least, not at the level of Shana and Taiga.

About harem, you may get the feeling of it after volume 2 (Main guy is surrounded by 3 girls, after all.) ,but don't worry the action is still the large part of series.
Sounds excellent. Thanks! Also once again confirms why a good portion of the staff are strongly experienced in action which was already a good sign

I think the Shana series in my opinion only for example totally fell into this trap we're kind of discussing, where it became unbalanced and with all the cool things they could have done with it's mythology and what it could have been before it aired instead spent its time turning Shana herself from a potentially cool character with a tiny bit of a soft side into a whining tsundere with a air-time-hogging soft side with pandering cuteness and a forced harem-style love interest that made her continually less interesting as the show continued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
For it to be tsun there has to be a so called "inner soft side". That's not the case here I think. Some characters just that attitude as "normal". I think because people expect every character these days to be some soft creampuff they instantly turn the tsun card whenever any tomboy like character turns up.

Of course this is just personal opinion, you can think whatever.
I like the sound of that, normal is nice and if Merry's somewhat of a tomboy then they should let her be one and they shouldn't chip away at that just for the sole purpose of making her a love interest candidate.

Agreed, it's so prominent that now it's essentially expected for a tomboy to have a massive dere side and it's getting overused, if an author wants to do a tomboy they need to freaking do a tomboy even if it means they have to do some interesting things to hint at a potential romance or heaven forbid a main male and female be friends and kickass partners and not forced lovers for a change *shock/horror* lol. Variety is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
When they parted the first time at night, she shows her soft side for a scene there.
To me, being a tsundere needs both an "inner soft side" and a "pride" blend together, and "soft" doesn't necessarily mean "weak".

But whatever it is, I just like Merry for how she act in the manga. Not like I need to give her a category to like her anyway.
I agree with that, and there's nothing wrong with adding a little softness in there, I think it's just gotten to a point where they take the dere side too far often for merely trite reasons which has slowly become boxed in in purpose.
Sounds good, I was hoping she'd be a heroine who couldn't necessarily be thrown into a category easily, she's looking good in the trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
lol,having read some of the manga I was going to say the same thing.

I know they want to bring people in by using the cute girl,but one thing I like about the manga is the male lead,so I wish I would see him more in the promotional material.
And a non-crappy male lead too, plus the always awesome Jouji Nakata (Alucard) voicing that masked cat thing (and cool VAs for the father figure and Engi Three-Piece who I don't know but I guess the tough white-haired/winged sword-wielding girl since she's got that kind of VA(?) along with some new VAs), keeps getting better sounding.

Quote:
Wallpapers I found around the internet.

Author might love small/flat breast girls lol
Nice wallpaper

Edit: Just checked out the first two chapters (will probably stop there as I don't want to spoil myself for the anime and I've only seen 5 scanlated chapters available so far), love the fantasy action tone and you're right Duo Maxwell, Merry's personality seems just plain natural and likeable and
Spoiler for slight manga spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-01-03 at 22:47.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 06:14   Link #83
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Edit: Just checked out the first two chapters (will probably stop there as I don't want to spoil myself for the anime and I've only seen 5 scanlated chapters available so far), love the fantasy action tone and you're right Duo Maxwell, Merry's personality seems just plain natural and likeable and
Spoiler for slight manga spoiler:
Spoiler for slight manga stuff:

And really how can you guys call someone a tomboy who wears a skirt as short as that with a ripped top?
Old 2011-01-04, 12:41   Link #84
s07195
Distracted

Gonna keep an eye on this...

s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 01:32   Link #85
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler for slight manga stuff:

And really how can you guys call someone a tomboy who wears a skirt as short as that with a ripped top?
True

I like Merry's personality the way it's been described in the thread.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-01-05 at 02:00.
Old 2011-01-06, 07:30   Link #86
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

i'm really interested in Merry-chan!
btw, how many episodes is it?..

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 10:27   Link #87
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
Spoiler for Vol4 Epic moment:
Old 2011-01-06, 12:18   Link #88
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Jeez. This entire show is a Merry c***tease.
Old 2011-01-06, 13:29   Link #89
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Yumekui Merry 01 - Epic Merry:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 13:32   Link #90
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

Where did you guys see this? I've been looking around for it and haven't been able to find anything.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 13:40   Link #91
Marina2

OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0vWKkeN18
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 13:44   Link #92
kyouray
2D > 3D

Opening is indeed gorgeous...

First episode is directed by Yamauchi & Yoshihiko Umakoshi (Casshern Sins & Heartcatch Precure! designer) worked on it as key animator. Can't wait to watch it. And according to Midonin's post I won't be disappointed.
Old 2011-01-06, 16:23   Link #93
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

The first episode was absolutely phenomenal. I was very afraid this series was going to have ecchie tendencies, and I'm so glad it doesn't.
The artwork is nothing short of beautiful. There are a few scenes that really took my breath away. The characters look great. That includes the good guys, John Doe, the cats and even the extras.
Even the sound is wonderful. Wind blowing grass, the crinkling of clothing, shoes on wood, it's all very pleasing.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 17:56   Link #94
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyukusa View Post
The first episode was absolutely phenomenal. I was very afraid this series was going to have ecchie tendencies, and I'm so glad it doesn't.
The artwork is nothing short of beautiful. There are a few scenes that really took my breath away. The characters look great. That includes the good guys, John Doe, the cats and even the extras.
Even the sound is wonderful. Wind blowing grass, the crinkling of clothing, shoes on wood, it's all very pleasing.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Great to hear sounds like we were looking forward to the same things from this show as well as looking for the same kind of tone so it sounds freaking perfect for a first ep. Can't wait to see this.

Edit: OP was gorgeous, love the art and animation style, can't wait to see the actual ep.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-01-06 at 19:19.
Old 2011-01-06, 20:01   Link #95
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Spoiler for ep1:

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 20:17   Link #96
Kittaka Fuyuka

I wonder if it'll turn into school slice of life series with occasionally fights in dream, or something more plot-centered. Hoping for first, because school part of this ep was the only interesting thing here, rest was confusing and simply boring.
Kittaka Fuyuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 20:59   Link #97
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittaka Fuyuka View Post
I wonder if it'll turn into school slice of life series with occasionally fights in dream, or something more plot-centered. Hoping for first, because school part of this ep was the only interesting thing here, rest was confusing and simply boring.
Nope, it's supposedly a plot and character-centric action show, this is not supposed to be slice of life with merely a little action on the side.

Only seen the raw but personally unlike you and serenade_beta I love the mystery touch to the first episode as it makes the show feel bigger with more possibilities for the moment and it's quite fitting to both main characters from the couple of chapters I checked out as well as the look of the dream world and mysterious mask-wearing John Doe and first episodes are usually either like this where we get started right away and usually the second episode starts giving us answers or we start with exposition so I fully expect next time we'll get into some explanations which is not a problem to me but I like mysteries too, either way I didn't find it boring.

Waiting for subs but I liked the way Merry acted and was animated, they did a real nice job making the main guy just as non-crappy and actually likeable as I'd hoped which is already a plus as the male lead in this type of show is usually terribly bland or either gets in the way during the fight or he's somehow more powerful than the fighter right off the bat nor does he sit back as a wuss as he acts against the grunt cat. She was voiced well too and nicely avoided choosing an annoying pitch as was the awesome Jouji Nakata. Too early to tell where it's actually going so I can certainly understand you guys being cautious till we get more explanations but I really liked it and the atmosphere/tone.

Oh, the varied soundtrack for the background music was really nice. Liked the OP a lot, though the ED was just standard and nothing special for me.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-01-06 at 21:46.
Old 2011-01-06, 21:16   Link #98
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
The opening alone got me to be patient enough till the place where I watch anime eventually gets the subs going
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 21:51   Link #99
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

juts waiting for the subs....
its already released in the net..

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 22:13   Link #100
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa Maneira View Post
juts waiting for the subs....
its already released in the net..
Yeah, hopefully a good group's on the job now that the raw's out.

Tags
fantasy, moe, seinen