AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-25, 16:49   Link #81
Capone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Why are you denying it? How about you talk with other stoners or even ex-stoners for a reality check? Marijuana CAN ruin your life! I have FRIENDS who destroyed their life because of it! I did smoke, I know what's a bong. And I stopped before it took over my entire life like it happened to my stoners friends. I have people coming to class stoned and not even paying attention to the lessons back in highschool, I am not gonna elaborate on how they have done with their exams.

My bottomline, what happened to my stoners friends and others I knew, it CAN happen to any of you. Marijuana is the harmless magical happy weed you make it to be.



PS: Now, I enjoy a good beer, and I will take a good beer over a pot anytime. Am I a wife beater because I drink and enjoy alcohol?
Am I like one of your friends because I smoke and enjoy weed?

Really, your friends are just a bad example.
__________________
Ma' name is Capone, the AS member that flies / and if y'all wonder why, y'all can C it in ma' eyes; / so red / so dead / but at peace without regret / 'cus I puff on da joints, like how Wilma does on Fred!
Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 16:59   Link #82
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone View Post

Really, your friends are just a bad example.
What. The. Fuck?

So you are going to invalidate my personal experience because it goes against your preaching and is not convenient for you? Awesome!

And here I thought I should share what I have personally lived to provide something that allow people to weight the pros and cons and make their own opinions. But no!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 17:03   Link #83
Capone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
What. The. Fuck?

So you are going to invalidate my personal experience because it goes against your preaching and is not convenient for you? Awesome!

And here I thought I should share what I have personally lived to provide something that allow people to weight the pros and cons and make their own opinions. But no!
People like your friends do exist. But 90% of my weed friends are fairly normal people who do at least OK in school. How many of your friends has been doomed by weed?
__________________
Ma' name is Capone, the AS member that flies / and if y'all wonder why, y'all can C it in ma' eyes; / so red / so dead / but at peace without regret / 'cus I puff on da joints, like how Wilma does on Fred!
Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 17:10   Link #84
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone View Post
But 90% of my weed friends are fairly normal people who do at least OK in school. How many of your friends has been doomed by weed?
Too many to count. So don't fcking sing me the song about cannabis being harmless. It's this kind of preaching that makes me want to smash faces with a sledgehammer. It WILL harm people in the long run. We have people going to special centres to get over their addiction for a reason.

Also I feel like quoting an early post that was oh so conveniently ignored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergho View Post
i have a childhood friend who uses marijuana.

he uses it a lot. and he uses it more and more

when i go to see him these days, he's stoned. it's like talking to someone who is half asleep. i've stopped going to see him

we used to go fishing and backpacking. he doesn't want to do those things any more.

and then there's all that money he spends on weed that he should be spending on his wife and kids

never say that marijuana is harmless. it's pretty much robbed my friend of his life
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 17:20   Link #85
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beach shores!
Oh boy, what an intriguing yet touchy topic lol.

Weed and Alcohol are both depressants. That means they slow your nervous system to make you feel relaxed and happy. Use them irresponsibility and you'll pay the price. Funny thing is, weed is harmful yet I haven't seen too much deaths from it. Whereas alcohol has many accidents because of stupid drunk drivers. However, weed still is a harmful drug to me because, I can be stressed out and I wouldn't resort to weed as an outlet. Same with alcohol. I wouldn't want weed legalized because it's a plant that smells horrible to me. And just imagine me breathing in a garden with all those harmful chemicals. Or rather just imagine a cute innocent girl inhaling that. I can understand why it should be illegal. Another reason is, I care about staying fit and healthy like a sports model lol. Instead, I end up playing video games, surfing the net, listening to my music, hanging out with friends/family, swimming, playing Saxophone and jogging. Those are my outlets.
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 19:04   Link #86
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Why are you denying it? How about you talk with other stoners or even ex-stoners for a reality check? Marijuana CAN ruin your life! I have FRIENDS who destroyed their life because of it! I did smoke, I know what's a bong. And I stopped before it took over my entire life like it happened to my stoners friends. I have people coming to class stoned and not even paying attention to the lessons back in highschool, I am not gonna elaborate on how they have done with their exams.

My bottomline, what happened to my stoners friends and others I knew, it CAN happen to any of you. Marijuana is the harmless magical happy weed you make it to be.



PS: Now, I enjoy a good beer, and I will take a good beer over a pot anytime. Am I a wife beater because I drink and enjoy alcohol?
No, it's not a magical happy weed. But it is something that I believe people should be free to choose if they want, pursuant to safety factors, just like alcohol. But you are arguing from emotion, and from personal anecdote. If we go with facts:

http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/

Hey, driving kills people, too. Do you recommend everyone stop driving?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 19:55   Link #87
Cream
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone View Post
If you know the Rastarafi beliefs, you would know how little he really cares about his intelligence. All he cared about was being happy and doing what made him happy. To satisfy this evil Babylonian world was never his intentions.

And Bob marley smoked VERY fucking much.
So, he was a irresponsible dumb fuck retard , yes?
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 20:05   Link #88
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Too many to count. So don't fcking sing me the song about cannabis being harmless. It's this kind of preaching that makes me want to smash faces with a sledgehammer. It WILL harm people in the long run. We have people going to special centres to get over their addiction for a reason.

Also I feel like quoting an early post that was oh so conveniently ignored
I wouldn't converse with this OP to be honest. His responses are immature and insensitive to reality.

As you say, weed ruins many people lives. Because it doesn't ruin "enough" people's lives is why discussions like these are still sprung on us.

Yeah, the government shouldn't be telling people to not be idiots if it doesn't affect anyone else, but it doesn't change the fact that many of these people are in fact idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

Hey, driving kills people, too. Do you recommend everyone stop driving?
Your comparison is an appeal to ridicule and is simply an attempt to run away from an actual response.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 20:23   Link #89
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Why are you denying it? How about you talk with other stoners or even ex-stoners for a reality check? Marijuana CAN ruin your life! I have FRIENDS who destroyed their life because of it! I did smoke, I know what's a bong. And I stopped before it took over my entire life like it happened to my stoners friends. I have people coming to class stoned and not even paying attention to the lessons back in highschool, I am not gonna elaborate on how they have done with their exams.

My bottomline, what happened to my stoners friends and others I knew, it CAN happen to any of you. Marijuana is the harmless magical happy weed you make it to be.



PS: Now, I enjoy a good beer, and I will take a good beer over a pot anytime. Am I a wife beater because I drink and enjoy alcohol?
It can't happen to anyone, at least according to recent research regarding alcoholism. Substances that aren't inherently addictive only become so due to the user's genetic tendencies. Research using vervet monkeys in the Caribbean, which have been drinking alcohol they pillage from locals for years, suggests that the majority of the population will drink moderately, and a smaller percentage will either abstain from consumption or drink heavily. What this implies is the tendency to abuse substances is rooted in our genetics and that some people truly cannot become addicted to alcohol or weed.

Now I understand the OP isn't really arguing from logic, but I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with your "PS". Basically what you're saying is, just because you use alcohol we can't make inferences into your behavior and whether you're a good person or not. But this same argument can be applied to the use of cannabis, invalidating the earlier portion of what you said (unless I'm misinterpreting your message).

I think what it simply comes down to is this: people should be given the opportunity to responsibly use cannabis, alcohol, or other relatively tame recreational substances so long as they are not putting others in danger (impaired driving, etc). As soon as they cross the line and their choices are endangering others, then they should be reprimanded but before that point if we are going to tell people what to do I see it as a gross violation of personal freedoms.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 21:03   Link #90
sergho
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
You want us to validate your actions?

Tell you it's okay?

I don't think it's okay.

Weed is a waste of time and money at the least.

At the worst, it will sap you of all your motivation and the money that should be going to your future or family will go up in smoke.
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 21:10   Link #91
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergho View Post
You want us to validate your actions?

Tell you it's okay?

I don't think it's okay.

Weed is a waste of time and money at the least.

At the worst, it will sap you of all your motivation and the money that should be going to your future or family will go up in smoke.
Are you speaking to me? Because I'm really not sure where you're coming from, all I did was bring up the role genetics plays in psychological addiction. I think it is an interesting topic.

Either way, your opinion doesn't have anything to do with the law. Many things can be considered a waste of time and money, but that doesn't make them illegal. I guess it depends on your interpretation of the role a government should play. In my opinion, at least for the US, drug prohibition is unconstitutional. But if you believe the government should micromanage people's lives to protect them, which I believe you do as a few pages back you advocate for alcohol prohibition, then that is your take I suppose. I only really take issue with the people who think alcohol should be legal but marijuana shouldn't.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 21:48   Link #92
Random32
Also a Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
weed is safer than alcohol (though your long term health would be better without both)
there is no denying it
there is even *gasp* scientific evidence backing that weed is safer than alcohol

I can understand people who are against drugs period, but the people here that are hating on weed and drink beer/etc are just lying to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Hey who here has done weed?? 8DDDD You have broken the law!
what law? not everywhere in the world is weed illegal.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 21:56   Link #93
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I can understand people who are against drugs period, but the people here that are hating on weed and drink beer/etc are just lying to themselves.
The thing is, most people smoke to get high, but not everyone drinks until they are pissed out of their minds.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 22:01   Link #94
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Can't really say much about this. Never had a interest in either or needed to. I need all the sober time i can get.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 23:43   Link #95
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Too many to count. So don't fcking sing me the song about cannabis being harmless. It's this kind of preaching that makes me want to smash faces with a sledgehammer. It WILL harm people in the long run. We have people going to special centres to get over their addiction for a reason
Hi, I'm the son of a (separated) family whose branches both enjoy smoking weed and drinking for relaxation purposes. Both families are composed of successful and responsible adults who work their asses to bring money to the table, go out and vote, are intelligent enough to make informed decisions and both work to try and make a better future for all of us.

Yes, I smoke weed, too. No, I didn't go to college. Yes, I do have a high-paying job with a future for my age. No, I'm not stupid enough to smoke weed and drive. As I'm not stupid enough to drink and drive, to hit my head and drive, to drive while sick, to drive while lacking sleep...
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 00:50   Link #96
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Now I understand the OP isn't really arguing from logic, but I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with your "PS". Basically what you're saying is, just because you use alcohol we can't make inferences into your behavior and whether you're a good person or not. But this same argument can be applied to the use of cannabis, invalidating the earlier portion of what you said (unless I'm misinterpreting your message).
Oh no, it does not invalidate it. Because it DID happen to them and what I am trying to say is that it CAN happen.

But judging from the opening post, I was fighting an uphill battle for the OP was stuck in a position that he will refuse to change until enough of HIS friends' lives get ruined.

Quote:
I think what it simply comes down to is this: people should be given the opportunity to responsibly use cannabis, alcohol, or other relatively tame recreational substances so long as they are not putting others in danger (impaired driving, etc). As soon as they cross the line and their choices are endangering others, then they should be reprimanded but before that point if we are going to tell people what to do I see it as a gross violation of personal freedoms.
You all say that, I USED to say that.

But a lot of young people are still living with the delusion that "it only happens to others, it just can't happen to me" and they will keep saying that like it is a freaking invincibility cheat code. Until it is way too late.

Bottomline, I don't agree with OP and don't think he should go around preaching like he did. But if he decides to handwave what happened to lot of my friends because it goes against the cliche of the cool rastaman he tried to perpetuate, I give him the middle finger.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 00:50   Link #97
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Hi, I'm the son of a (separated) family whose branches both enjoy smoking weed and drinking for relaxation purposes. Both families are composed of successful and responsible adults who work their asses to bring money to the table, go out and vote, are intelligent enough to make informed decisions and both work to try and make a better future for all of us.

Yes, I smoke weed, too. No, I didn't go to college. Yes, I do have a high-paying job with a future for my age. No, I'm not stupid enough to smoke weed and drive. As I'm not stupid enough to drink and drive, to hit my head and drive, to drive while sick, to drive while lacking sleep...
I had a friend in college who was the top of his class and went into law school. You could literally smell the smoke on his clothes from 5 feet away twice a week.

In reality, the Stoner/Drunk = stupid/irresponsible/Low IQ etc. relation is a stupid and mostly unfounded claim. You can easily say the same for any mentally and physically debilitating addiction and realize that the tendency to be be on the negative side of the spectrum is majorly on the user and not the stuff they use..
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 02:48   Link #98
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I had a friend in college who was the top of his class and went into law school. You could literally smell the smoke on his clothes from 5 feet away twice a week.

In reality, the Stoner/Drunk = stupid/irresponsible/Low IQ etc. relation is a stupid and mostly unfounded claim. You can easily say the same for any mentally and physically debilitating addiction and realize that the tendency to be be on the negative side of the spectrum is majorly on the user and not the stuff they use..
Yes but there is also the idea that this is a correlation and not a causation. Anecdotal or not, you just have to believe that many of the heavy users don't live the lives of what we view as upstanding citizens.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 03:22   Link #99
Random32
Also a Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
define "we" and define "upstanding citizen"

most of the people I know that smoke weed live lives that I would define as upstanding citizens
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 03:51   Link #100
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
define "we" and define "upstanding citizen"

most of the people I know that smoke weed live lives that I would define as upstanding citizens
I understand what you are going for, but don't be childish. Yes, they are subjective terms... But there are usual general qualities in people that the general population admires in general.

And please reread my post. I said many of the heavy users. These are the people who choose in their free time to get high than do other activities.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hectic thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.