AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-17, 20:28   Link #1
Chronissz

Serious new animes

Are there any serious themed animes that concentrate on real plot comming out soon, rather then comic relief and high school romances that seem to populate 95% of all anime today. I can only watch so much of that stuff before it disgusts me, and I'm past high school now so silly kiddy romances just isnt my thing. Is it just me or is anyone else sick of this crap? The shows are very unoriginal and I thought over time they would start to dissapear, but it only seems like theres MORE now then ever before.

So far I know about Midori no Hibi, and Konomini. What else is comming out in april or before the end of 2004? Is there a list, and if so is there any english sites that give information about them? A japanese site is fine too, a simple bablefish translation gives me the gist of whats going on.

Please tell me something original is being released soon, im starting to lose hope in anime

BTW If you need an example of the kind of series im referring to, ill list some of the animes I like:

Lain, Berserk, CB, Last EXile, Scrapped Princess, Crest of the Stars, Juuni Kokki...you get the idea.
Old 2004-03-17, 20:52   Link #2
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I suggest you see Shingetsutan Tsukihime.
Good, serious, deep.
Old 2004-03-17, 23:13   Link #3
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
anime is made for the adolecence age ..teens and preteens
If you dont like echhi or high school romances ..or mild action adventure
series perhaps you are in the wrong place

we sub those series for that age range and we dont expect mature audiences to watch anime because anime is cartoons made for KIDs

Last edited by Yamano667; 2004-03-17 at 23:49.
Old 2004-03-18, 00:10   Link #4
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
anime is made for the adolecence age ..teens and preteens

we sub those series for that age range and we dont expect mature audiences to watch anime because anime is cartoons made for KIDs

In my humble opinion most of what you sub for that audience is better than the stuff over here in the good ol' usa for our kids..........Actually what you sub is better than most of the junk offered for Adults here too! I am just sick of Reality shows..................So a big thank you for what you do is in order. BTW some of us mature audiences do watch and prefer anime.
Old 2004-03-18, 00:42   Link #5
TronDD
Team the box!

Right....'cause Narutaru is for kids.
Old 2004-03-18, 01:20   Link #6
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

[sarcasm]So is La Blu Girl. [/sarcasm]
Really, I suggest Shingetsutan Tsukihime. Original, bit more mature drama [no nudity, just some blood], a little romance, too.
Old 2004-03-18, 01:46   Link #7
Thelastguardian

shouldnt this be in suggestion section?

PlanetES is good and serious, sometimes anyway.
Old 2004-03-18, 10:49   Link #8
Yamano667
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Right....'cause Narutaru is for kids.

Japanese kids are more mature than american kids ....and is a CULTURE so much different than American or Canadian culture

In japan you go to school and university without playing football ..you have to REALLY study to get your high school diploma or your professional diploma
and you have to pass admission exams which are hard, and daddy doesnt help you to bribe the head of the university to get your college degree like most of the AMERICANS DO

"I played 4 years in college and I got my college degree" quoting from forrest gump
Old 2004-03-18, 10:58   Link #9
Yamano667
Banned

Well i do agree Japanese studios never get any recognition for their work
Walt disney love to copycat from japanese work and they Take the credit and the OSCARS ..Lion king and other works..cardcaptors was badly translated to destroy the series so american series could compete etc etc

It was a miracle that Studio GHibli got recognized for their work ..and walt disney
didnt make another scam to get the credit.

i am proud to work in anime because they are the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOfAnime
In my humble opinion most of what you sub for that audience is better than the stuff over here in the good ol' usa for our kids..........Actually what you sub is better than most of the junk offered for Adults here too! I am just sick of Reality shows..................So a big thank you for what you do is in order. BTW some of us mature audiences do watch and prefer anime.
Old 2004-03-18, 12:31   Link #10
7thMethuselah

Anime's with a great story

Shingetsutan Tsukihime

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

Peace Maker Kurogane

Wolf's Rain

Planetes

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Old 2004-03-18, 15:16   Link #11
Griffith

Narutaru came out last year and is about as serious as it gets. There should still be some seeds for it if you're interested.
Old 2004-03-18, 16:25   Link #12
Chronissz

Ill check out narutaru, thanks for the suggestion, the others I've already heard of, but I'm looking for future animes, ones that havnt been released yet.

Anyways, just because anime is drawings doesnt mean its synonomis with cartoons...I dont know about you but I enjoy good cinematography and directing in my anime, and when I watch something that incorporates advanced filming tactics, it impresses me. Anime is what you make it, sure it can be high school ecchi like most mainstream anime is, but it can also be something thoughtful and deep, profound and mesmerizing, its when we, the fansubbers and the fans, start accepting the mainstream kiddy animes as standard that anime looses all hope.

Anime isnt bogged down by humans and our limitations, it can be anything your imagination can muster, it expands the boundaries of film and allows us to experiment in ways real life cant.

I just got done watching Lain, and it can be interpreted 1000 different ways, but the end result is it makes you think. It made ME think about what the world will be like when the internet reaches the next stage of interaction, and there are many more questions it asks, I like that kind of anime, anime that makes me reflect upon myself and is more then just images and text on a screen.

I dont know, maybe I ask too much of anime, but I think it can achieve so much more, and it does in alot of cases, I just think they could use more shows that bring out its better side.

Well, thats just my 2 cents, maybe I am just off my rocker though. :/
Old 2004-03-18, 17:02   Link #13
jennwenn

Here's what I'm hoping will be "new and original" this April season:
Mahou Shoujo Tai Arisu (Magical Girl Team Alice) is definitely something that hasn't been done before. Its being produced by Studio 4C who have produced Spriggan, the Animatrix, Memories, and the short piece "Comedy" on torrent at Animesuki. Studio 4C have mostly done artistic, experimental work so far and this is their first TV series, so it should be something really interesting. It certainly looks interesting and surreal. I wish I knew more about the plot...

Here's a trailer (scroll down):
http://www.catsuka.com/interf/bideo/morimoto.htm

Monster is from the mangaka of Yawara! and Master Keaton and is about a doctor and the supernatural. Should be a very mature and complicated story, if the great manga is anything to go by.

Samurai7- based on the Kurasawa film, now that's cool!

Hi no Tori (Phoenix) is based on an amazing manga by Osamu Tezuka that spans everything from the birth of the universe to the end of time by alternating between ancient times, like feudal Japan, to the far future of space colonies and gradually skipping back and forth until it reaches the present. The common thread in all the stories is the Phoenix, an immortal creature. The plot structure is so large and confusing, I don't know which section the anime will focus on (or how it will do it)!

Sgt. Frog - Something about talking frogs. I haven't seen that in a while.

And if you liked Cowboy Bebop, chances are you'll like Watanabe's latest Samurai Champloo, but its already licensed so no fansubs (supposedly).
Old 2004-03-19, 22:33   Link #14
Aquillion

They're licensed, but go for Paranoia Agent and Kino no Tabi ~the beautiful world~ if you get the chance.
Old 2004-03-20, 01:01   Link #15
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
In japan you go to school and university without playing football ..you have to REALLY study to get your high school diploma or your professional diploma
and you have to pass admission exams which are hard, and daddy doesnt help you to bribe the head of the university to get your college degree like most of the AMERICANS DO
What the hell are you talking about? Nice...back up your ignorant generalizations with a quote from a fictional movie. I hope you were joking.
Old 2004-03-20, 01:31   Link #16
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronissz
Are there any serious themed animes that concentrate on real plot comming out soon, rather then comic relief and high school romances that seem to populate 95% of all anime today. I can only watch so much of that stuff before it disgusts me, and I'm past high school now so silly kiddy romances just isnt my thing. Is it just me or is anyone else sick of this crap? The shows are very unoriginal and I thought over time they would start to dissapear, but it only seems like theres MORE now then ever before.

So far I know about Midori no Hibi, and Konomini. What else is comming out in april or before the end of 2004? Is there a list, and if so is there any english sites that give information about them? A japanese site is fine too, a simple bablefish translation gives me the gist of whats going on.

Please tell me something original is being released soon, im starting to lose hope in anime

BTW If you need an example of the kind of series im referring to, ill list some of the animes I like:

Lain, Berserk, CB, Last EXile, Scrapped Princess, Crest of the Stars, Juuni Kokki...you get the idea.
Yep, i agree with you 100%. There are just way too much "kiddy animes" out there, where the protagonist is a 13-15 year old kid. I prefer to watch animes that aim toward older audiences as well. What you listed up there are great examples, especially Berserk, CB (cowboy bebop?) and Scrapped Princess. Oh also, Samurai-X is a great mature anime version of Rurouni Kenshi. It's on DVDs though.
Old 2004-03-20, 03:55   Link #17
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Quote:
Ecchi, highschool romances, mild action. Doesent all that trash fit into 1 catagory ? Anyways,
there are other types of animes.

Animes are out there that have more serious content than "love hina" or "digimon" but they take some time to find.

I suggest you start off with gilgamesh.

Ghost in the shell stand alone complex, and g.i.t.s 2nd run is deep.

Full metal alchemist, is actully good and serious at times for a childish series.

And if you get bored, after watching these read the berserk manga .
Old 2004-03-20, 11:11   Link #18
Za Paper

This was mentioned in another thread but Gantz and Monster are serious.

www.gantz.net has a preview.
Old 2004-03-20, 16:46   Link #19
Aquillion

Quote:

"I played 4 years in college and I got my college degree" quoting from forrest gump
Yamano, you have no idea what you're talking about. The Japanese college system is among the worst in the civilized world; Japanese undergraduates are infamous for goofing off and learning absolutely nothing, even at the most prestigious institutions in the country.

The Japanese high school system is rigorous, true; but only insofar as it focuses blindly on testing and getting into college. It fails utterly at giving students the tools to survive once they're in college or in the outside world; Japanese students are infamously good at giving the answers they were taught to give, and infamously bad at coming up with answers of their own. Worst of all, the system's excessive focus on testing tends to burn students out, resulting in a high suicide rate.

For a good description of what's wrong with the Japanese education system today, check out this article.
Old 2004-03-20, 19:24   Link #20
Chronissz

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll be keeping an eye on those releases when they come out, and I've started watching Gilgamesh which has a very interesting story so far.

Wow that Gantz preview looks really wierd, but I like the dark atmosphere.

BTW are Paranoia Agent and Kino no Tabi ~the beautiful world~ available on DVD in the US? Didnt know about either of those up until now and they look cool.
Closed Thread