AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Steins;Gate

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-01, 01:22   Link #1321
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: A place where the stars cross.
Age: 22
Preview for the next episode.

__________________
Riga92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:24   Link #1322
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
So why can't they revert things back to the original timeline by sending themselves a d-mail along the lines of "don't let moeka send that dmail, or don't let feyris send that dmail out" ??
That's not how the time travel mechanism works.

First they are in world A before they send a D mail and enact a change. After sending the D mail, they move to a world B, shifting to a new timeline where the message is sent and the changes have been made. However in this new timeline, since that change was made, the actual action of sending the D mail never happened. since there was never a need to do it. That's why the character have no memory of sending a d mail, as their memories were altered and in that new timeline it never happened. Sending another d mail in the past saying to not send that d mail doesn't do anything since in the new timeline they never did it in the first place.

That might've been convoluted.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:27   Link #1323
crc8109
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
After watching ep 9:
- Ruka is confirmed to be a girl in uniform, or a real hardcore case of cos-player/ gender confuser
- Anyone here oppose to Mayushii calling Kurisu "Kurisu-onee-sama" from now on?

PS: and Akiba disappeared? Bid deal. We have a female Ruka and expanding yuri field here
ima go for broke by asking this but what is a yuri field again? i keep getting lost in the jargon
crc8109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:36   Link #1324
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Preview for the next episode.

Spoiler:
I liked what I saw in that preview.

Man, this shows delivers a lot. I hope it gets licensed soon. I'm definitely buying it.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:43   Link #1325
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
That's not how the time travel mechanism works.

First they are in world A before they send a D mail and enact a change. After sending the D mail, they move to a world B, shifting to a new timeline where the message is sent and the changes have been made. However in this new timeline, since that change was made, the actual action of sending the D mail never happened. since there was never a need to do it. That's why the character have no memory of sending a d mail, as their memories were altered and in that new timeline it never happened. Sending another d mail in the past saying to not send that d mail doesn't do anything since in the new timeline they never did it in the first place.

That might've been convoluted.
Ya think?

Probably better not to go down that rabbit hole or you'll never find your way out. The amount of permutations from all these changes is infinite - I'm thinking it's better not to try to hold the series to an impossible standard, or risk disappointment - they're going to make some continuity errors sooner or later (who knows, maybe they have already and I just didn't notice).

That said - I would like an explanation for how they're able to send d-mails so far into the past so quickly, in strict opposition to the specific rules they set up only a couple episodes ago. That's not a continuity error, it's a plothole.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:55   Link #1326
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
This really is explainable though. Fine I'll outline it better!

They start in world A, before they sent the D mail to change Ruka to a girl.

In world A, they send the D mail to eat more vegetables.

Suddenly, Okabe shifts from world A to world B. In world B, Ruka's mother received the message and presumably Ruka became a girl.

In world B, the events that transpired leading up to sending the D mail in world A never happened, because they never needed to send that D mail (Ruka is a girl now, why would she(he) want to change genders anymore?). Thus in this timeline, sending that D mail never happened.

In world B, everyone besides Okabe only ever knew that Ruka was a girl. Ruka sent that message in world A, but never sent that message in world B. Hence, the characters have no memory of Ruka ever sending the D mail, and thus they cannot send another d mail into the past because in this new timeline, sending that D mail NEVER HAPPENED.

There, I hope that was clearer .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:56   Link #1327
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc8109 View Post
ima go for broke by asking this but what is a yuri field again? i keep getting lost in the jargon
I don't think there's a solid definition for this, but my guess is it's a combined word playing on how yuri means the lily (flower) in Japanese. So the "size" of the lily(yuri) field is basically the level of domination of yuri theme/ fantease in the anime. Expanding the yuri field = yuri theme/fan tease in the anime was increased

PS: Reckoner's explanation is correct IMO unless the VN proved otherwise
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 02:32   Link #1328
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
simply put.
Now in the new world what happened is that the person received a text from themselves in the past, and that particular D-mail experiment never takes place.

There's no proof of Okarin's lab fiddling with the timeline except his own "memories" because the existence of the experiment has been wiped out entirely. If the subject in question didn't have a request then there's no need to send out a txt anyway. The story solved this continuum problem by adopting the multiple universe theory.

It's not something that easy to revert back. Say if Feyris did send out a d-mail to prevent her dad's death, the only way it can be reverted is that she never receive that mail back then, and I doubt Feyris is willing to change the timeline so her dad is dead again.
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 02:53   Link #1329
PzIVf3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere at Earth
The electronics supplies and tech. gadget shopping store turns into a old fashion regular standard fans and some old TV appliances. I wonder this D-mail have the power to reverse time towards dinosaur age or the birth of Christ.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 04:27   Link #1330
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
It starts with a seemingly harmless lottery, then the culture of a district changes. The Butterfly Effect in its absolute beauty!!! I love this show =D
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 04:41   Link #1331
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
the cause-and-effect is not that hard to comprehend, but the scale is just bigger than anyone could've imagined.

Brilliant execution by the studio, finally there's a scene that made me want to watch over and over.
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 05:13   Link #1332
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Preview for the next episode.

Spoiler for video:
It seems something will go terribly wrong next ep.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 05:27   Link #1333
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
It seems something will go terribly wrong next ep.
Something terribly wrong? Mayushii's cooking?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 05:28   Link #1334
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
*still doing my exam but just being here since it was omg*

Because I saw sudden rise in preorder ranking, with 2ch's starting to worship recent episode, I decided to take a look of it. Oh god. This 9th episode was single best episode I've seen this Spring season. I can easily call this 'godly'. This episode proved that author's 'movie quality' anticipation was certainly delivered.

It is not just because of huge revelation and surprising/complex plot line, it is mainly due to its high quality direction, it definitely contrasts hugely with Nichijou's lack luster composition of directional elements. Wow, that ED direction, it was so professionally done. It just nails on. When MadoMagi got advantage from Shaft's unique and surreal directions, this solely rely on the most traditional directional elements in maximum potential, delivering huge impression just with one episode.

Supported by godly like direction, we can easily see huge development with Okarin's characterisation. We can exactly feel the way that Okabe does, I found it amazing for directors being able to do that.

Finally, the storm has come. The real fight of Okarin starts now.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 05:46   Link #1335
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
That's not how the time travel mechanism works.

First they are in world A before they send a D mail and enact a change. After sending the D mail, they move to a world B, shifting to a new timeline where the message is sent and the changes have been made. However in this new timeline, since that change was made, the actual action of sending the D mail never happened. since there was never a need to do it. That's why the character have no memory of sending a d mail, as their memories were altered and in that new timeline it never happened. Sending another d mail in the past saying to not send that d mail doesn't do anything since in the new timeline they never did it in the first place.

That might've been convoluted.
Right. The only way they'd be able to undo a change is to send another D-Mail moments before the one that enacted the change, with this one saying to basically ignore the next one or delete it without reading it. They'd then have to hope that whoever the recipient was would actually follow said D-Mail. It might still affect things somewhat, but it would likely undo major changes at least.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 05:50   Link #1336
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Well of course if you have lots of plot lines to offer and actually take care of the plot, the flow of direction should be a non issue, but i guess the most important part is knowing what is really "serious shit" for the characters and viewers alike.
__________________
Crontica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 05:54   Link #1337
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Something terribly wrong? Mayushii's cooking?
Well, practising nito-ryu in the kitchen can never turn out good
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 06:02   Link #1338
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Right. The only way they'd be able to undo a change is to send another D-Mail moments before the one that enacted the change, with this one saying to basically ignore the next one or delete it without reading it. They'd then have to hope that whoever the recipient was would actually follow said D-Mail. It might still affect things somewhat, but it would likely undo major changes at least.
*Pats GDB's back* Remember Higurashi's time travel mechanics? This is worse.

A higher force made sure Rika's worlds/timelines/setting was consistent, Hoouin on the other hand will turn into a knight templar real fast, he can't change the past anymore because the Ferya of timeline 3 does not exist anymore.

The real kicker here is he can't go and kill stuff to reverse time either, the microwave has to somehow trigger the killing.
__________________
Crontica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 06:29   Link #1339
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Well, practising nito-ryu in the kitchen can never turn out good
I know who is behind all these... it's Mayushii. She's the real mad scientist

She's the one who stayed behind in the lab and modified the Microwave Machine in the first place. Then she act like the texting msg to microwave worked, but she actually controlled everything from shadows.....

- She saved Christina so Kurisu can join her harem
- She rid off "Shining Finger" because this girl is too silent and is no fun
- She turned Ruka into female so Ruka can wear her cosplay
- And recently she rid Akiba probably due to something with her part time job

The clue lie on her Tu~tu~ruuuu, every mad scientist have a distinct laugh, and that was her
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 06:57   Link #1340
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This really is explainable though. Fine I'll outline it better!

They start in world A, before they sent the D mail to change Ruka to a girl.

In world A, they send the D mail to eat more vegetables.

Suddenly, Okabe shifts from world A to world B. In world B, Ruka's mother received the message and presumably Ruka became a girl.

In world B, the events that transpired leading up to sending the D mail in world A never happened, because they never needed to send that D mail (Ruka is a girl now, why would she(he) want to change genders anymore?). Thus in this timeline, sending that D mail never happened.

In world B, everyone besides Okabe only ever knew that Ruka was a girl. Ruka sent that message in world A, but never sent that message in world B. Hence, the characters have no memory of Ruka ever sending the D mail, and thus they cannot send another d mail into the past because in this new timeline, sending that D mail NEVER HAPPENED.

There, I hope that was clearer .
This answers my doubts about why they didn't just send another D-mail to undo the changes. Need to pay more attention to the show
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, mystery, science fiction, seinen, time travel, trap, visual novel adaptation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.