AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-01, 09:56   Link #1
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Hanasaku Iroha (generic discussion thread)


P.A Works 10th anniversary work Hana-Saku Iroha just got announced, has character designs by Mel Kishida. Hopefully they give the designs more justice than A-1 did with Sora Noto.... anyway that's Itou Kanae speaking in the promo isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
The official website of the animation studio P.A. Works (true tears, CANAAN, Angel Beats!) is hosting a webpage and promotional video for the studio's 10th anniversary work, Hana-Saku Iroha. The project, which the video describes as "steadily in the works," features original character designs by Mel Kishida (So-Ra-No-Wo-To) and an image song, "Patricia," sung by nano.RIPE. The story centers around Ohana Matsumae, a 16-year-old Tokyo native who ended up working at a onsen ryokan (hot spring inn). Matsumae has yet to decide her future.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 10:36   Link #2
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
A girl working at a hot spring inn? I like the designs and all, but...I pretty much suspect there's gonna be ecchi all over this. I apologize for being a weirdo.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 10:49   Link #3
kyouray
2D > 3D
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France
Age: 25
The clothes and building remind me Taishou Yakyuu Musume so Taishou period ?
I wonder how they'll adapt Mel's design. There's a staff list on 2ch but nothing official.
__________________
kyouray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 12:35   Link #4
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
ITOU KANAAAAAEEEE <3

I'm excited. =3
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 13:10   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
The characters look gorgeous. Hopefully, the anime's chara design will be good as well, I doubt it'll be worse than A-1's anyhow, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
A girl working at a hot spring inn? I like the designs and all, but...I pretty much suspect there's gonna be ecchi all over this. I apologize for being a weirdo.
The soothing song, the speech and the designs makes me think it'll be slice of life. I can't really picture something ecchi after watching that trailer.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 16:35   Link #6
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
The soothing song, the speech and the designs makes me think it'll be slice of life. I can't really picture something ecchi after watching that trailer.
Hehehehe. I tend to be kinda over cautious and OCD when it comes to anime being clean of all ecchi. I want to be sure of that in advance before watching it. I'll wait for more information to come out.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 17:44   Link #7
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I'm just here for Mel Kishida's beautiful designs Girls working at a hot spring inn? I dunno, original anime are usually a bit more...ambitious. But it's true that from the preview, I am feeling more like "Aria" than "Love Hina".

Also, congratulations to P.A. works for finally making a completely original series, especially after so many well-made half-original series.
__________________

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 18:58   Link #8
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
recognized her voice right away lol.

Hope its as good as all the past shows they've "worked on", although the story seems kind of...unique.

Agreed on the designs (although its just art atm), much different than sora no woto.
__________________
SwiftStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 02:01   Link #9
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Another "public lie" ?
I'm still remember how I cried out aloud after seeing Sora no Woto turn to.

If that just concept, and wouldn't adapted to actual work. I will never watch anime from P.A again. (I know SnW not from P.A bruh)

Enough with this "Original Chara Design" shit.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 21:59   Link #10
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
Are people seriously still bitter about SnW? T_T

There's an original character designer and an anime character designer who adapts the original artwork into something a team of animators can draw 1000+ times. As cool as it would be to have an anime that looks like a moving Kishida Mel illustration, it's simply impossible without a budget the size of Japan's GDP.

I mean seriously, the creators aren't trying to displease their audience. I'm astounded by people who seem to think that anime staff and studio are "out to get them" by ruining their favorite artists/manga/novels etc.

(Endless Eight is an exception)
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 22:10   Link #11
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Sure, I'll watch.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 22:25   Link #12
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Are people seriously still bitter about SnW? T_T

There's an original character designer and an anime character designer who adapts the original artwork into something a team of animators can draw 1000+ times. As cool as it would be to have an anime that looks like a moving Kishida Mel illustration, it's simply impossible without a budget the size of Japan's GDP.

I mean seriously, the creators aren't trying to displease their audience. I'm astounded by people who seem to think that anime staff and studio are "out to get them" by ruining their favorite artists/manga/novels etc.

(Endless Eight is an exception)
Then don't show shits about it then... Seriously they show it just seems like they gonna use it in actual works (put that SO BIG as main illustration in their webs for example.)
And if this one is another "lie" I would be so pissed off, because they already make a PV with that chara design concept, even though I have no expectation they gonna really use it in actual works.

Btw as glorious as Kishida Meru arts looked, I thinks that not so "expensive" to adapt it into animation. Its just the pastel color effect that make it seems like that.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 22:40   Link #13
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
I'd like you to point me to somewhere that says or even implies, "Hey, this is what the anime is actually going to look like!" Where is this "lie" that you are so caught up on?

It's concept art. As in, these are the original character designs and we're currently in the planning stage. When they put up character profiles on the official website I guarantee they will use the anime character design art instead of Kishida Mel's illustrations. You shouldn't expect the anime to look exactly like the illustrations. The illustrations represent the character designs, not a frame of animation; do you even know what a character design is?

As for whether animating in that illustration style would be hard... god I really don't want to give a lecture on the differences between illustration and animation. Put it this way: why are cartoons or anime or ANYTHING 2-D animated NEVER drawn to look like realistic people? After all, any skilled illustrator can make a contour drawing of a realistic person, right? So why aren't they animated like that? Think about it.
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 23:23   Link #14
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Well I know they didn't actually lie in literally, but still they'll pissed off some (if not most) people if they put it as it seems that gonna be the looks in actual works.
Quote:

It's concept art.>You shouldn't expect the anime to look exactly like the illustration>
Yes that an only concept, but you can't deny that concept that make people turn their eyes to that subject eh ?
So what the point to show the concept if wouldn't showed in actual works ?
Quote:
As for whether animating in that illustration style would be hard... god I really don't want to give a lecture on the differences between illustration and animation. Put it this way: why are cartoons or anime or ANYTHING 2-D animated NEVER drawn to look like realistic people? After all, any skilled illustrator can make a contour drawing of a realistic person, right? So why aren't they animated like that? Think about it.
Blah... what you talking about ?

Animations work is always about adapting.
Concept --> Actual works, that its. simple.
Its can be like realistic people if the concept's want the animator draw it like so. you want to say the animator can't draw similar object looks like certain people work ?

Well at least they can give justice in their initial concept.
__________________

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-08-02 at 23:34. Reason: well i dun have proof in some point
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 23:30   Link #15
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
SnW was disappointing in many ways the art happens to be one of them, talk about being moefied. Anyways moving on from that disappointing series, this series looks like it's a slice of life, will give it a try. Hopefully they don't dumb down Mel Kishida art here.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 00:04   Link #16
Falkor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Well I know they didn't actually lie in literally, but still they'll pissed off some (if not most) people if they put it as it seems that gonna be the looks in actual works.
you are the only one that seems "angered"/concerned by some kind of possible change they might do to the character designs. yes, they are going to **slightly** change the character designs, so they can animate the work within the time/budget constraints. it's a rather far-fetched idea to think that they are going to use the original illustration as the artwork of an animated project.

Quote:
So what the point to show the concept if wouldn't showed in actual works ?
Blah... what you talking about ?
so you can get an idea of the concept they are working on.

Quote:
Animations work is always about adapting.
Concept --> Actual works, that its. simple.
Its can be like realistic people if the concept's want the animator draw it like so. you want to say the animator can't draw similar object looks like certain people work ?
it's not as simple as you make it out to be.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 00:51   Link #17
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
you are the only one that seems "angered"/concerned by some kind of possible change they might do to the character designs.
excuse me sir, your point?
I'd read the alterations of Kishida Meru design in SnW is one of disappointment point from the fans.
And I'm sure you read some of it on here
Quote:
so you can get an idea of the concept they are working on.
Well... yeah ?
If they shown some illustrations, that means we can guess it right ?
Quote:
it's not as simple as you make it out to be.
Once again... yeah ?
But you can't possibly if planned paint something blue and turned out as red right ?
If anything, that turn to be variation of blue (royal blue) unless you attempt to make your initial plan as sample.
But people that already looking forward to finalization of that sample/plan can be reasonably disappointed because that different from they heard/expect from that sample.

Btw yeah I'm always loud about unannounced alteration of initial concept, feel like your tailor change your ordered torso design without you know it. lol

Btw lets stop this OT before mod's scold us.

hope the best from this project, at least the actual works arts would still looked great regardless they use Kishida Meru's drawing as the base or not.
__________________

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-08-03 at 01:21.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 01:59   Link #18
Falkor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
I'm rather underwhelmed by some of the comments that have been made of this show, especially with regards to the artwork. We have only seen so far the original character designs; we have no idea of what character designs they are going to use for the actual animated project. However, it has come to the general consensus of some "people" that "they" are not going to like the artwork, nor the character designs, because a former show "they" had watched have disappointed "them" in those regards---and it just so happens to have the same artist doing the original illustrations. Though, the issue seems to be on the fact that those original illustrations have been released before the ones that are going to be used in the actual animated project, therefore creating some form of confusion among said "people", only because "they" were expecting those original illustrations to be the ones being used---Or at least, with character designs that "closely matches" the original ones. The key point here is the fact that we haven't seen the said character designs, and yet there is the assumption that they are going to be relatively worse. Thus, why I think discussing this sort of expectations---to this extent---is rather pointless.

There seems to be the perception that having the original illustrations is bad for some "people" because it plays with "their expectations", however ignoring the fact that probably at this stage they are still working with the concept and have yet to finalize what the show is going to be like. And thus, having probably not enough material to generate interest among the potential viewers, except for the original illustrations which they've so gladly included in a trailer along with music and voice acting. And yet, "people" complain because they just had to release the "original illustrations", which for "them" is worse than nothing. Rather, it's only a form of publicity at this early stage of the project, which normally is not to be confused with anything more than a way to get a general idea of what the show is going to be about, not a determining factor of what is going to be like.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 02:35   Link #19
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
I swear I was one of half a dozen people who actually enjoyed SnW. =__=||| It seemed like everyone was so caught up with the moe-hate that they wrote it off without even giving it a chance.

Quote:
Its can be like realistic people if the concept's want the animator draw it like so. you want to say the animator can't draw similar object looks like certain people work ?
... okay, uh, do you draw? Because you're making some crazy assumptions here. I mean, first off, animators are people. They're not human photocopiers.

People don't animate in a hyper-realistic style because it's NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE. It's not about "doing justice" to an artist's work, it's about practicality, because drawing something that moves is exponentially more complex than drawing something that stands still.

Like I said, you seem to have the idea that the creators are conspiring to ruin the original concept. They're not. They're doing their best to follow the original designs while having to adjust that to the limitations of animation and various other requirements. The final model must be expressive, able to be drawn consistently thousands of times, fit the atmosphere and style of the rest of the show, etc. etc.

Besides, SnW was far from the biggest change from original art to anime design that I've seen. Ever seen Vofan's original illustrations for Bakemonogatari? Compare to Watanabe Akio's designs for the anime. Shinobu is especially noticeable. Yet I never heard anyone complaining about that. (to elaborate: Vofan, Watanabe Akio)


... bringing it back to the topic at hand. There's no way for them to animate those designs from the PV exactly. Expect the final anime design to be more simplistic and probably more expressive (more exaggerated features). It's perfectly normal for there to be significant stylistic changes in the transition from original designs to animated form. If you just want to bash SnW and "moe-fication" I'm sure you can do so in another thread.
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 07:14   Link #20
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I swear I was one of half a dozen people who actually enjoyed SnW. =__=||| It seemed like everyone was so caught up with the moe-hate that they wrote it off without even giving it a chance.
You are not alone in this good sir/maam. I literally had to explain in detail why SnW isn't the typical moeblob people judge it to be and I'm sure the same thing will eventually apply here. Just because the adaptation doesn't look anything like the original doesn't make it the suck, and I'd like to point to Spice and Wolf as proof of this.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.