AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-03, 19:14   Link #221
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
They're a business. Think about what would happen if this happened at a hotel. Plus, as lovable as Ohana is, she acts spoiled when she interacts with Minko. From Minko's point of view, she's messing in things that she shouldn't be messing with [the plants], she's butting in other people's business [the chef], and she's causing her trouble and then trying to appease her by demonizing the grandmother who she has only met for a day.
But... the plants weren't in the back of the facility but where patrons could see it. Therefore, they are 'weeds" If Minko had wanted to have a small garden, she should have brought the point up with management so that a small spot could be set aside in the back of the facility.

The chef should have known not to yell at his trainee like that and Minko should have been happy that someone stood up for her, let alone a stranger who you wanted to die.

Like it or not, Ohana or her uncle will prob inherit the place so it's still "her business".
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:15   Link #222
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
my theory on Ko is: the whole series will be Ohana's character getting developed and attaining that level of maturity she needs to properly respond to him. it goes along with my "one destination, many detours" theory of the relationship development in this show.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:40   Link #223
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
http://img812.imageshack.us/i/o0350049211136436611.jpg/

By Nanao Naru... Hmm? When did her artwork get worse like this...
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:47   Link #224
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
http://img812.imageshack.us/i/o0350049211136436611.jpg/

By Nanao Naru... Hmm? When did her artwork get worse like this...
Heh I can definitely see the comparison the personality between Ohana and Noe, but yeh... that's pretty bad. It's of a fanpic quality. Are you sure its by Naru Nanao, the same person who drew the character designs for the main heroines in Da Capo and ef + Matsuri Shihou from sola?
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:53   Link #225
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Just like D-Gold, i didn't know anything about this anime before watching it.
And I just couldn't help myself but to watch episode 1 twice.

I usually don't like anime which deals with "ordinary" life (having a mother like that isn't really ordinary...) but this one... Man, THIS ONE ! All the characters are just too good. The chara-design, their introduction, the way they interact with each others...

And still, it was just the first episode.
I'm reaaaaally please and looking for the next one !
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:22   Link #226
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
True Tears (some stellar dialogue but lacklustre pacing and development)
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one,I had no problem whatsoever with the pacing or developement of true tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
The excitement over True Tears can only carry her for so long.
I'm asking myself "What excitement?"The show didn't really have great dvd sales and all the critical acclaim I've heard has been for the animation/direction rather than the script,maybe I've missed something.

But speaking of True Tears,I'm surprised the grandma here is getting so much hate across all the messages I've read on forums,I don't remember the mom in true tears getting so much hate over how she treated Hiromi.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:30   Link #227
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But... the plants weren't in the back of the facility but where patrons could see it. Therefore, they are 'weeds" If Minko had wanted to have a small garden, she should have brought the point up with management so that a small spot could be set aside in the back of the facility.
Oh, I was talking about the futon. In my opinion, Ohama doesn't really deserve blame for the plant thing, but I can see why someone would be mad.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:47   Link #228
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
But speaking of True Tears,I'm surprised the grandma here is getting so much hate across all the messages I've read on forums,I don't remember the mom in true tears getting so much hate over how she treated Hiromi.
In True Tears, I think all the hate got directed towards a certain shipping winning over a certain shipping if you know what I mean...

Troll + spoiler pic inc:

Spoiler for True Tears Ending:
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:51   Link #229
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
But speaking of True Tears,I'm surprised the grandma here is getting so much hate across all the messages I've read on forums,I don't remember the mom in true tears getting so much hate over how she treated Hiromi.
I remember differently. In this case though, the grandmother is probably a more prominent character and related to the main character's maturing, so she'll receive more attention as the series goes on.

Still, this is just according to memory.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:52   Link #230
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Heh I can definitely see the comparison the personality between Ohana and Noe, but yeh... that's pretty bad. It's of a fanpic quality. Are you sure its by Naru Nanao, the same person who drew the character designs for the main heroines in Da Capo and ef + Matsuri Shihou from sola?
Yeah, it seems to be by her.


Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm asking myself "What excitement?"The show didn't really have great dvd sales and all the critical acclaim I've heard has been for the animation/direction rather than the script,maybe I've missed something.

But speaking of True Tears,I'm surprised the grandma here is getting so much hate across all the messages I've read on forums,I don't remember the mom in true tears getting so much hate over how she treated Hiromi.
DVD sales =/= Quality of the anime
There are anime with interesting stories and all of the good stuff selling less than low-quality fanservice anime.

Because the Mom was younger?
And she wasn't as violent (I think).
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:53   Link #231
D-Gold
Archangelic Iron Beast
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: On an IRC
Age: 20
I remember true tears. It was one of those shows where I wanted both girls to have a happy end with their male interest. I usually pick one girl and support her all the way.
__________________
D-Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:06   Link #232
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
DVD sales =/= Quality of the anime
But to me "excitment" =/= Quality of the anime either,I love true tears,I've watched it 3 times but it seems to me there wasn't that much excitment around it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Because the Mom was younger?
And she wasn't as violent (I think).
Spoiler for true tears:
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:09   Link #233
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
Spoiler for TT:
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:13   Link #234
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Above poster might want to put that in a spoiler.

Regarding excitement/popularity of True Tears, if I remember reading an article on Sankaku (lol Sankaku, I know I take these guys with a grain of salt but they are rather good for entertainment purposes) that True Tears was ranked #3 or something for the best anime of 2008 based on a poll in 2chan. DVDs sold like dog turd though, think it was something like 2.5k which is probably barely breaking even considering the production quality.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:16   Link #235
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Above poster might want to put that in a spoiler.

Regarding excitement/popularity of True Tears, if I remember reading an article on Sankaku (lol Sankaku, I know I take these guys with a grain of salt but they are rather good for entertainment purposes) that True Tears was ranked #3 or something for the best anime of 2008 based on a poll in 2chan. DVDs sold like dog turd though, think it was something like 2.5k which is probably barely breaking even considering the production quality.
At least PA Works has Angel Beats. How well did Canaan sell? I'm assuming not too well. I'm hoping Hanasaku sells well, anyway.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:27   Link #236
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
At least PA Works has Angel Beats. How well did Canaan sell? I'm assuming not too well.
You're assuming right

Quote:
2009/10/21 *3,559 Vol. 1
2009/11/27 *3,102 Vol. 2
2009/12/25 *2,695 Vol. 3
2010/01/29 *2,622 Vol. 4
2010/02/26 *2,819 Vol. 5
2010/03/17 *2,742 Vol. 6 (Three episodes)
As much as I like Angel beats less than True Tears and Canaan I'm glad it at least got PA works some cash.

Any word from the reception of this episode in japan (apart from sankoku)?
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:29   Link #237
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
At least PA Works has Angel Beats. How well did Canaan sell? I'm assuming not too well. I'm hoping Hanasaku sells well, anyway.
Angel Beats, in my opinion, will always remain as a cash cow and P.A. Works attempt at trying to be KyoAni when trying to adapt "Key" works. Yes, Angel Beats was a big seller, and is going to P.A. Works best selling series for a long time, but it still remain as the worst anime produced by them.

Heck, Hanasaku Iroha's first episode covered more ground than the entirety of Angel Beats.

I'm extremely glad that P.A. Works decided to go back to their roots of animating original slice of series. However, I can't fully criticize P.A. for doing such a thing as animation companies need money from time to time. Perhaps they could knab another "Key" series as their next cash cow title since KyoAni seems to be more than content riding the FOTM Moe train since Clannad AS ended. Planetarian and Little Buster I'm looking at you.

Regardless, I still thought Angel Beats was okay, and still better than the equivalent K-on Season 2 that was airing at the same time. I just found it hilarious that Angel Beats had better music and concert scenes than the music that was "supposed" to be a music anime.
__________________

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-04-03 at 21:42.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:42   Link #238
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm asking myself "What excitement?"The show didn't really have great dvd sales and all the critical acclaim I've heard has been for the animation/direction rather than the script,maybe I've missed something.
True Tears was one of the most discussed and acclaimed series on 2ch during its run. The thing is that it's hard to tell what will sell. Often, popularity and critical acclaim on 2ch correlates to financial success (after all, participants tend to be hardcore otaku, who're the people most likely to buy anime DVDs), but it isn't always the case. At the end of the day, producers need to present a product that people want to collect, so just having otaku enjoy and praise a series isn't good enough.

Anyway, I'm referring more to industry excitement than fan response. Producers took notice, and it opened up many work opportunities for Okada, particularly in the way of original scripts. For instance, Kannagi director Yamakan spoke of how impressive True Tears was, and by golly, he selected Okada for Fractale (P.A. Works would sign her on again for CANAAN and Hanasaku Iroha, while Aniplex pitched Anohana).

This flood of work typically happens when a director, writer, seiyuu, or studio puts out something that really catches people's attention (via sales performance, interesting hooks, merchandising success, fan acclaim). Suddenly, everyone wants to capitalize on that potential and produce their own winner from it.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:44   Link #239
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Anyway, I'm referring more to industry excitement than fan response. Producers took notice, and it opened up many work opportunities for Okada, particularly in the way of original scripts. For instance, Kannagi director Yamakan spoke of how impressive True Tears was, and by golly, he selected Okada for Fractale (P.A. Works would sign her on again for CANAAN and Hanasaku Iroha, while Aniplex pitched Anohana).
Anohana's script is by Okada as well? Jeez... That's the other series this season that was on the top of my plan to watch list since it's in the notamina timeslot.
I also remember reading up on an Anime blog (it was either blogsuki or star crossed) that during Jun Maeda's interview regarding Angel Beats, how he was impressed with True Tears and was part of the reason why he wanted to write for P.A. Works.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:58   Link #240
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
True Tears was one of the most discussed and acclaimed series on 2ch during its run.
Thanks for the info,didn't know that.

I'm guessing poor DVD sales because

Spoiler for true tears:


Quote:
For instance, Kannagi director Yamakan spoke of how impressive True Tears was, and by golly, he selected Okada for Fractale
I knew he thought highly of her,didn't know it was because of True tears so thanks again for the info

Quote:
Anohana's script is by Okada as well?
She scripted 3 of the past 4 NoitaminA shows (the exception is "C") and has done 6 shows since fall 2010 so TJR is right to say she's all over the place.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.