AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-12, 00:44   Link #601
Anomandaris
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
What I'm getting as is Ohana's seeming lack of consideration for the consequences of her actions. Her behavior feels like the behavior of somebody who hasn't had to deal with such things and instead was able to take risks due to some kind of safety mechanism protecting her from anything bad happening when she acts too boldly or speaks out of turn. I just have a hard time reconciling her strong individuality and self-dependence with her lack of foresight and inability to think a few steps ahead. I feel like the development of the former would have led to the latter but we got the opposite.
Perhaps it might help if you understood that Asian parenting involves a strong disciplinary aspect as well, and it's often regarded as a parent's duty to shape a child into a 'respectable' adult. The reprimands that Asian children get from 'outsiders' generally pale in comparison to those received at home. Personally, my main impetus for doing/behaving well during my early school days was my mother's wrath ... and the worst thing a teacher could do was request to see my parents.

So you're right when you say that Ohana's behavior stems from a lack of experience with consequences in her upbringing ... but rather than being a result of protective parenting, it's a result of a negligent one instead.
Anomandaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 00:45   Link #602
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Spoiler:
I lol'd.
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 01:15   Link #603
numb3rs
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to numb3rs
Cool Creeper with the glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I lol'd.
The story definitely took a turn in an odd direction...
(i lol'd too)
But i couldn't help feeling like she would be saved just in the nick of time,
by tohru, or minko or somthing... (torhu?)
but the ending preview kinda suggested otherwise...

I'm thinking she's too innocent to do anything by herself, (despite her intentions)
and the creep'll get stopped in either a comical, humours way, or some coincidence.

Spoiler for Scene:


i just read this over... sounds bit douche-like... sorry about that.
__________________
"I Forgot, that in this world, Broccoli can hurt you."
numb3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 03:47   Link #604
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Eh...? If there is one thing this anime does have that other general moe anime also have, it is cute girls with cute character designs.
What they do and the type of story is different and that is a good thing, but I can hardly deny that there aren't cute faces in this anime to attract viewers.

To me Ohana is an exemple of a moe character being put to good use in telling a story isntead of just being moe for the sake of being moe.

Quote:
Now if you want something that hooked viewers without all three, let's use Madoka.
After all, those pancakes for a fac-...
Charlotte is the cutest character and she doesn't have a pancake face
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 06:06   Link #605
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I've got new info on Episode 3:

Spoiler for Episode 3:
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 06:17   Link #606
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
I've got new info on Episode 3:

Spoiler for Episode 3:
I hate you
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 06:37   Link #607
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
To be fair, Ohana's apparent inability to "read the atmosphere" has a lot to do with how unaccustomed she is to that atmosphere. I'd usually commend someone who cleans a room up by herself or covers a meal for someone unasked, but they just don't gel with the top-down way in which her grandmother runs the inn, where unnecessary action is frowned on. She's basically being told to turn off the sense of initiative she's developed fending for herself and do what she's told instead. So I wouldn't call Ohana unaware of the consequences of her actions in general; she's just used to a different set of consequences and needs some time to adjust.
Well, she was praised for the meal. Minchi's the one who, for once, doesn't "know what work is". Yes, her pride was damaged. But it was her fault in the first place, and Ohana covered for her because her feelings aren't as important as the employees getting fed.

Well, I say "for once", but she's been needlessly antagonistic since the beginning, so she can't precisely claim to be a good worker either, can she? (Quite aside from her apparently dismal cooking skills. Or do we just keep catching her at bad times?)
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 06:43   Link #608
Wakan Tanka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tunisia
@ serenade_beta,

@ felix


By cute I mean, something like A-channel, Nichijou this spring.
__________________
"Never trust women's tears." ‿‿
Wakan Tanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 07:00   Link #609
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
A signature I made from the stunning ED sequence:



As for the avatar matching it, it would be a pick between these two:



or just both combined ^^



Freebies. Also name can be added in the sign if requested.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:36   Link #610
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, she was praised for the meal. Minchi's the one who, for once, doesn't "know what work is". Yes, her pride was damaged. But it was her fault in the first place, and Ohana covered for her because her feelings aren't as important as the employees getting fed.

Well, I say "for once", but she's been needlessly antagonistic since the beginning, so she can't precisely claim to be a good worker either, can she? (Quite aside from her apparently dismal cooking skills. Or do we just keep catching her at bad times?)
But you can't blame her, can you? If I were in Mincchi's place I would rage too.


Claimed. Can you add my name?
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:39   Link #611
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
If i were in Minchi's place then I'd let it go after Ohana specifically says she's only trying to help. But we still don't fully know what Minchi's place is so...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:46   Link #612
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Brazil
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, she was praised for the meal. Minchi's the one who, for once, doesn't "know what work is". Yes, her pride was damaged. But it was her fault in the first place, and Ohana covered for her because her feelings aren't as important as the employees getting fed.

Well, I say "for once", but she's been needlessly antagonistic since the beginning, so she can't precisely claim to be a good worker either, can she? (Quite aside from her apparently dismal cooking skills. Or do we just keep catching her at bad times?)
Yeah! Trying to pin the blame on Ohana isn't doing Minko any favours with me. Despite Tohru's comment, the fact is she (Ohana) saw everyone wouldn't be able to eat and prepared the meal. Maybe she was thinking about helping Minko, but that does not change the end result.

What Minko seems to think, however, is that Ohana is doing it because she "wants to show she's better than her", or just playing the victim and thinking that she's "inconsiderate" towards her feelings. I don't buy that, however. The world doesn't revolve around herself only. The only reason Ohana has to constantly cover up for Minko is because Minko herself is shown as being completely unable to do anything. She wouldn't air her blanket, she can't cook right, and so on. To me, it's like she decided she'd use Ohana's good nature as a scapegoat to cover her own failures. It might make her feel better about it, but going so far as to voice this "lie" she created herself to Ohana something I cannot agree with.
__________________
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:47   Link #613
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If i were in Minchi's place then I'd let it go after Ohana specifically says she's only trying to help. But we still don't fully know what Minchi's place is so...
Then you mast be a calm person. Someone as aggressive as me would rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Yeah! Trying to pin the blame on Ohana isn't doing Minko any favours with me. Despite Tohru's comment, the fact is she (Ohana) saw everyone wouldn't be able to eat and prepared the meal. Maybe she was thinking about helping Minko, but that does not change the end result.

What Minko seems to think, however, is that Ohana is doing it because she "wants to show she's better than her", or just playing the victim and thinking that she's "inconsiderate" towards her feelings. I don't buy that, however. The only reason Ohana has to constantly cover up for Minko is because Minko herself is shown as being completely unable to do anything. She wouldn't air her blanket, she can't cook right, and so on. To me, it's like she decided she'd use Ohana's good nature as a scapegoat to cover her own failures. It might maker her feel better about it, but going so far as to voice this "lie" she created herself to Ohana something I cannot agree with.
I agree it's very childish and unreasonable, but when you angry it doesn't mutter.
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:55   Link #614
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
If I was in Minchi's place, I'd glare a bit at Tohru, for his unwelcome comparison, but that would be all. I wouldn't hold it against Ohana, as she was clearly just trying to be helpful.

I definitely think that Minchi has been too harsh towards Ohana.

That being said, I'm willing to view Minchi in a more positive light if her attitude towards Ohana improves at least a little bit.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:55   Link #615
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
To be fair, Ohana's apparent inability to "read the atmosphere" has a lot to do with how unaccustomed she is to that atmosphere. I'd usually commend someone who cleans a room up by herself or covers a meal for someone unasked,
Except nobody aside from Minko was unhappy with that.

Are you saying she should have only considered Minko's feelings at the expense of everyone else not getting breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
but they just don't gel with the top-down way in which her grandmother runs the inn, where unnecessary action is frowned on. She's basically being told to turn off the sense of initiative she's developed fending for herself and do what she's told instead. So I wouldn't call Ohana unaware of the consequences of her actions in general; she's just used to a different set of consequences and needs some time to adjust.
You're seriously misunderstanding the message the Grandma was trying to send. She outright stated that it was a good thing that Ohana was taking initiative about various things. She doesn't want a bunch of mindless drones as employees. Her problem was Ohana taking initiative on something she didn't know how to do properly (cutting the grass), or that she wasn't supposed to do at all (cleaning the wave room). When her taking initiative yielded positive results (cooking breakfast for the staff) she had not complaints.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:57   Link #616
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Brazil
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu
I agree it's very childish and unreasonable, but when you angry it doesn't mutter.
Well, I don't particularly disagree that being angry might, of course, be a big part of why she acts the way she does, but so far (and of course, this will change sooner or later) I particularly don't see the reason why Minko developed this sudden animosity towards Ohana. Sure, she was cutting the rocamboles or whatever they are called, but is that enough to start telling someone else to die? It's as if she feels really insecure about herself and the simple fact that Ohana is now going to live there bothers her. So her "hate" does seem to be completely unjustified, too.
__________________

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-12 at 09:23.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 09:03   Link #617
Wakan Tanka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tunisia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

You're seriously misunderstanding the message the Grandma was trying to send. She outright stated that it was a good thing that Ohana was taking initiative about various things. She doesn't want a bunch of mindless drones as employees. Her problem was Ohana taking initiative on something she didn't know how to do properly (cutting the grass), or that she wasn't supposed to do at all (cleaning the wave room). When her taking initiative yielded positive results (cooking breakfast for the staff) she had not complaints.
This is what I though as well.
__________________
"Never trust women's tears." ‿‿
Wakan Tanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 09:25   Link #618
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
One thing I like about this show is the amount of stuff that's implied rather outright stated (same reason why I liked TT a lot). For example...

I mean, it's obvious that Mom's been disowned by Grandma. But look at it this way, Grandma was not at all surprised that Ohana has arrived at her door. Which means, someone must have contacted her before then. And since we are watching from Ohana's PoV, and that we didn't see Ohana speak to her (nor was there any indication in her first meeting with Grandma that they talked before), then that means it must have been the mother who talked to her.

So you have Mom taking up the initiative to talk to Grandma. Mom, the one who is disowned and most probably haven't talked to Grandma in years? Imagine how awfully difficult that phone call was to make, asking from your parent that you are in terrible status with to take care of your child. A lot of people think that Mom must have done all this on a whim, but considering Mom's current relationship with Grandma, it looks more like to be a desperate last resort more than anything.

Sure, there's a chance that all Mom said was "Hi Grandma! Long time time no see. BTW, I'm leaving my child with you. Yoroshiku!", and Grandma not the heartless bitch that a lot of people think of her as, had no choice but to comply. No, it's much more plausible that the Mom had to beg and plead Grandma to look past their current relationship and take her child in. And for Mom to throw her pride away by asking the one person she most probably dislikes most in the world for a big favour? That's saying something...

And that's not going into the possible speculation Mom might have taken into consideration that life with Grandma is a much better life than life on the run. I mean, stuff like Hayate no Gotoku may make fun of the matter and all, but these kind of people are very persistent and will do literally anything to get their money back. Not very fun to deal with, nor very fun trying to avoid all your life.


Again, that's why I like these characters; they're more and more rounded the more you dig deeper into things.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 10:15   Link #619
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Claimed. Can you add my name?
Done



----
+1

Adding another signature with corresponding avatar, this is from the windy scene in episode 1 and it's smaller, but animated ^^

.

Freebie, name can be added if requested.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 10:34   Link #620
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
snip
Some very good points. These implied scenarios are something that good Asian dramas do very well and the more I think about it, the more Hanasaku Iroha is comparable to them. It's still anime though, as the bits and pieces of humour added in does seem "anime-ish" as does the voice acting, but if we didn't have those, it could easily have been one of these TV drama series.


I must say though, I am really impressed with Mari Okada's script writing ability. I only recently found out that she was responsible for writing scripts for True Tears, Toradora, Wandering Son and now Hanasaku Iroha as well as the upcoming AnoHana. Back in the day, I couldn't never completely figure out why I loved True Tears, but now I can safely say it was because of the script as the dialogue between the characters and the monologues were of excellent quality (in conjunction with P.A. Works great animation), despite some pacing issues and the somewhat unoriginal love-triangle/harem storyline. Compared to other anime, Toradora was a great romantic comedy, but I did find it a bit annoying in that it did dwell on the theme of "innocence" which anime tends to have an obsession with a bit too much, making it feel more unrealistic than I would like it. Wandering Son was fantastic all round except the fact that the characters were acting a bit too mature for their age (high school students I would understand, but middle school - that's pushing it a bit too much). And now Hanasaku Iroha comes along and so far I can't place any flaws, it's almost been mastered as long as the quality keeps up, which I am optimistic that it can be done. Hopefully, Anohana will be of similar quality. I'm also admiring her for taking some risks and writing scripts for series that are outside of her comfort zone (e.g. Fractale and Gosick), despite these series not doing so well. Hopefully her skills in non-slice of life areas will shine up eventually.

I use to think Jun Maeda had the best script writing when it comes to drama, and as much as I liked Kanon and Clannad After Story, I am now sure that his writing pales in comparison to Mari Okada. Jun Maeda tends to jump from slapstick comedy to drama too abruptly at times and his melodrama moments sometimes feel a bit too forced. In contrast, Okada's are more transitional and natural and therefore more believable and relatable. She also imposes what happens impliedly very well, whilst Jun Maeda seems to struggle with this, which was clearly evident in Angel Beats. However, I do acknowledge that because Jun Maeda wrote scripts for Visual Novels, whilst Mari Okada wrote scripts for anime, it may not be perfectly fair to compare. Nonetheless, I'm personally seeing big differences in quality.

Does anyone know if Mari Okada has had any past experience writing TV dramas? Or if she has contracts to write future dramas? She seems to be of a caliber that could definitely do so. Not that I would want her to fully switch... we need more people like her for anime.
__________________

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-04-12 at 10:49.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.