AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-02, 11:29   Link #1
vitas75

Looking for some action anime.

Well, I've been searching for days now but it seems i cant find any anime to watch that would fit my taste.

I would appreciate any suggestions for action anime without any comedy(unless the jokes are good. Example: i consider the comedy of bleach the worst). The actions taken by characters should be logical and smart. Swordplay and special powers are a bonus.

I'd like something similar to either: Naruto, Fullmetal alchemist, Kiba, Berserk(though, not the ending), Darker than black, gungrave, texhnolyze and such.

Well, all of those except the last two (i got bored to watch them time to time, that's the worst for me. Anyways, i still very much liked them) made me sit next to my PC til i finished watching them and that's exactly what i am looking for.

I'm looking forward to any suggestions
Old 2010-08-02, 12:28   Link #2
Haak
Forever Alone...

I would recommend:
Canaan - some comedy bits that you might not like but very little. Special powers and guns.
To Aru Majutsu no Index - Lots of comedy but i think it's hilarious. Just special powers.
Sword of the Stranger - No comedy. All swordplay.
Kara no Kyoukai - Only comedy in the 6th film. Mostly dark and serious. Special powers AND swordplay.
Samurai Champloo - A lot of comedy. Not sure whether you'll like it or not. All swordplay.
Old 2010-08-02, 12:28   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Hellsing, Witch Hunter Robin, Devilman Lady (depressing ending, though not as bad as Texhnolyze/Berserk), Shura no Toki (made up of three separate stories/arcs; I'd skip the last one)... take a look at those.
Old 2010-08-02, 12:44   Link #4
vitas75

U_u i guess there are still some anime to watch. Ill take Canaan for now.

Thank you
Old 2010-08-03, 00:45   Link #5
GreatTeacherKen

Read or Die OVA- has excellent and creative fights involving the two main heroines using their powers in clever ways: Yomiko can make almost anything she wants out of paper and Nancy can literally phase through solid objects. There's some humor, mostly from Yomiko's extreme love of books and Wendy's clumsiness, but it's mostly serious.
Old 2010-08-03, 13:47   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Black Lagoon.
Old 2010-08-03, 16:01   Link #7
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'll suggest something a little differemt. Neon Genesis Evangelion, while the end purpose or focus of the show isn't the action... It still have some very fast paced intense scenes sprinkled throughout.
Old 2010-08-05, 03:07   Link #8
YoSneaky

Claymore .
Old 2010-08-05, 17:00   Link #9
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Black Lagoon, preferably the excellent English dub. Black Lagoon has dark humor, but it's actually really funny to see paired up with epic gunfights and all.
Old 2010-08-05, 17:14   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

No one has recommended Needless yet? Madness.
Old 2010-08-06, 17:52   Link #11
vitas75

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Black Lagoon, preferably the excellent English dub.
I never watch dubs, only original audio with subs. Emotions can be understood better that way .
Old 2010-08-06, 18:49   Link #12
GreatTeacherKen

^^ In Black Lagoon's case, English makes more sense in context. Revy, the female lead, is Chinese American and can't speak Japanese, which makes the Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc (where the main characters head to Japan) awkward in the original Japanese since the seiyuu is clearly better at speaking Japanese than English.

In short, the English dub avoids the Engrish problem the original Japanese has.

Whichever language track you decide to listen to when watching the series, I second Black Lagoon.
Old 2010-08-07, 06:45   Link #13
kitten320

Less comedy? Then here are my suggestions:
Baccano! - well it does have comedy elements but I don't think that it ruins the show. It has an interesting story which is told in unique way. We have several bands and villains who are at the same train and with different goals. Obviously they all get involved with each other. Each episode shows us small parts of story from each main character perspective with some extra bits and slowly the mysteries become answered.

Claymore - no humor, if it does appear then quiet rare. Has a lot of action, different kind of characters (one of them likes to kill of her kind but before that prefers to "play"), nice story and etc. Fights are on swords with some extra powers.

Fate/Stay Night - has some nice action though main character can be annoying. Some romance involvement and humor but not that much humor as far as I remember.

Ga-Rei Zero - does have some humor in several episodes but later on drama starts to pick up. First 2 episodes start with a blast and series are based on sword fighting plus some extra.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - a shooting anime but very dark (not bloody, simply dark by atmosphere) so no humor there. It might appear once in few episodes. Series are about people who had lost their memories (more like got robbed of them) and were forced to become professional killers. Series have nice action, explores emotions and thoughts. In other words I really recommend it if you are for something dark with some heavy feelings. At first they seem to have no mind but eventually you find out that they are not just dolls. Also some conspiracy involvement, betrayals and etc. So yeh, go for it.
Old 2010-08-07, 22:45   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Are you willing to try space and guns instead of swords?

If so try Crest of the Stars

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-08-11, 13:46   Link #15
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitas75 View Post
I never watch dubs, only original audio with subs. Emotions can be understood better that way .
However, I think Baccano! and Black Lagoon's English dubs are better than in the original Japanese voices because they both take place in settings where they should speak English. It fits much better that way. Not to mention they're both spectacular.

Give it a chance?
Old 2010-08-19, 04:23   Link #16
vitas75

Up.

Claymore was great, other suggestions wither didnt catch my attention or i didnt like them much. Also, i've already seen To Aru Majutsu no Index and Fate/Stay night before but these arent the types that im searching for right now.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Im downloading Witch Hunter Robin to check it out atm and Kara no Kyoukai is on my to-watch list for the future.
Old 2010-08-19, 19:35   Link #17
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
What about To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, the spinoff of Index ?

Regarding the english dubs .. In my opinion, even if the characters for example, reside in England so they should speak English but they speak Japanese.. it's not really that weird. Just ignore it and you'll get used to it.

Or are you saying that lets see.. for example Eden of the East ( if there was one available ) should be watched with dubs as well, because of the setting ? Or many other animes too.
Old 2010-08-19, 20:57   Link #18
vitas75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What about To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, the spinoff of Index ?
Comedy isnt what im searching for. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 2010-08-20, 00:35   Link #19
Haladflire65
*Artist

Karas? Awesome fighting and bloody gore, the story's a bit vague and it's only a 6-episode OVA series though.
Old 2010-08-20, 00:39   Link #20
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Murder Princess Of course its a 6-episode OVA just like Karas

It has some decent swordsmanship + magical power fighting scenes, but said I rarely see any "comedy" being set in this anime.
Closed Thread