AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-20, 15:00   Link #1
mozzie

Smile Recommend some 'Taratino kind' of anime ?

I'm new to anime and stuff...
Only watched Hajime no Ippo & Gunslinger Girl so far and I love them!

I love Quentine Taratino's films, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown...; those kind of deep, smart/intelligent, great script/plot, dramatic, moving, poignant shows.

Could anyone recommend some anime similar to such themes? (min. romance pls)
I heard about Paranoia Agent & Full Metal Alchemist, do they have such themes?

Btw who is the Quentine Taratino of Japanese anime??

Thanks

Last edited by mozzie; 2004-03-20 at 15:17.
Old 2004-03-20, 15:55   Link #2
wnkryo
HainShodan

The Quentine Taratino of japanese anime is the one and only Spike Speigal. He is the star of the type of anime your looking for. The show is called Cowboy Bebop. Although it is set in the future, it still defenitly up your alley. You can find out more by clicking here.

After you finished watching the anime, you can check out Cowboy Bebop - Knockin' on Heaven's Door (which is basically the anime turned movie). To find out more about that, just click here.
Old 2004-03-20, 17:11   Link #3
The Xenos

Well if you like Vampires and Tarentino I suggest Hellsing. They got some pretty badass gunfights and characters there.

-Xenos
Old 2004-03-20, 19:39   Link #4
Aquillion

Paranoia Agent is serious, deep, smart/intelligent, etc, etc. It's a bit hard to describe unless you've seen Boogiepop Phantom (which it's a bit like, though less dark and without BP's stylized art). I would recommend it.

Full Metal Alchemist is generally aimed at a younger audience. It sometimes plays at serious themes, but ultimately it's an action-fighting show with magic powers; the serious themes just provide a backdrop for the main characters to look heroic against. The show it most reminds me of (though it's unlikely you'll remember it) is Sorcerous Stabber Orphen. In any case, I wouldn't recommend it based on what you said you're looking for.

I've been recommending Kino no Tabi ~the beautiful world~ to everyone who says they want something serious, so I'll recommend it here again. The show seems laid-back, and the description might fool you into thinking it's some other sort of show; but it's really very serious and sweet, and it doesn't pull any punches when deplicting the darker parts of the places that Kino visits.

If you liked Gunslinger Girl, then you might try Noir, which is similar in many ways.

Lain, Now and then, Here and There, Gasaraki, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, and Infinite Ryvius are the other shows that tend to come up when people ask for something serious. Well, you might look into them, anyway.

And... I think everything I recommended was licensed. Well, perhaps that's a good thing; studios are snapping up the more serious and thoughtful shows much faster nowadays, while more generic kiddie stuff goes unlicensed. Anyway, since I ought to recommend some good unlicensed stuff, too:

Hitsuji no Uta is a very serious and dark psychological sort of show.

Hundred Stories certinally dark and goes for seriousness, though I sorta felt that it didn't go anywhere in the end.

Some people have also recommended Gilgamesh for this sort of thing, though I haven't seen any of it yet so I can't say anything about it.

..whew. I feel like I posted this before. Maybe this forum should just keep pinned threads at the top for the most commonly-requested types of anime?
Old 2004-03-22, 00:30   Link #5
The Xenos

Yes. Kino No Tabi is quite thoughtful and wonderful. Not sure about Taratino-esque though.

Gilgamesh seems a bit slow, but I think it could really pick up. Only seen a couple of eps and things are getting freaky.

-Xenos
Old 2004-03-22, 04:08   Link #6
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quentin Tarantino makes movies based on his experience of being a major movie lover. His "brilliance," is an addition of directing styles from many predecessors of the film industry.

Tarantino was heavily influenced by veteran and late-Japanese director Kurosawa Akira. If you loved "Kill Bill Vol. 1," please go see Kurosawa movies.

As for "Tarantino-esque" animes, I suppose that you mean something along the lines of gore and action as portrayed in the anime sequence of "Kill Bill." That anime sequence was done by a major anime company called Production I.G. One notable Pro-IG anime is "Ghost in The Shell." Of course, if you are an anime lover in the US, you have probably already seen this.

However, currently here in Japan, the movie "INNOCENCE" is being shown in theaters. It is a very big hit as media coverage states as being one the major hits starting this year. "INNOCENCE" is somewhat, oh I'll just say "Ghost in the Shell 2." I have no idea if this movie will be shown in your country, but judging by how big "Ghost in THe Shell" is at your country - anticipate a DVD release soon.
Closed Thread