AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2010-12-23, 11:54   Link #61
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Wasn't the Force Commander at the end given a mission to hunt down renegades of the Chapter?

Diomedes' story involves chasing after the Black Legion and since Cyprus is still alive I'm assumign the Commander wasn't tainted.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 10:54   Link #62
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Finally heard the trailer with sound (just got back home) and

Spoiler for Traitors:
All three of them have equal chance of being the traitor. Avitus because of his bloodlust attitude, Thaddeus because of his age and Tarkus because of the Blighted Bolter...
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 17:03   Link #63
Seitsuki
Onee!

Not to mention that after you upgrade the blighted power armour to its max corruption, only Tarkus can use it.
Old 2010-12-25, 02:58   Link #64
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

In any case, new race is Imperial Guard as predicted early in this topic.

Heroes Unit as follow :-

-Inquisitor
-General
-Commissar

More details will be revealed before the year ends.
Old 2010-12-25, 03:00   Link #65
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Also saw the message, though the relevant links are gone now. Early leak perhaps?

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 13:55   Link #66
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Haha so the inquisitor is a Witch Hunter part of the Imperial Guard.

Found a Translation from Retribution's forum in the German Magazine

Quote:
DAWN OF WAR II : RETRIBUTION
Tactical variety and heroes with RPG-elements made Dawn of War II the hit it was.

This expansion lures you in with new building choices and races in the campaign.

How conservative does realtime strategy have to be? Blizzard needed twelve years to put out a new starcraft hat didn't shake the foundation of the game. Get ressources quick, gather lots of units and rush into the fray.
Relics Dawn of War II is a successful opposite of that concept. The focus is on few but characteristic heroes that gain experience and can be equipped like in RPG games.

Tactical decisions, quality over quantity. This recipe is found in Retribution, the new expansion, the second after Chaos Rising.
At the same time, Relic caters to the traditional fans of the genre. "Alot of people still want that common kind of experience in a game. They love to build hundreds of tanks and utterly crush their opponents with them." comments the lead designer Dan Kading.
Because of that, Relic wants to make both sides happy this time around. The production of units is introduced in the campaign, heroes stay.
Retribution is also more diverse in the amount of races you can choose to play the 16 mission long campaign.

Before Retribution, you were limited to the Space Marines, now you can choose 6 races. Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, Orks, Tyranids and the new Imperial Guard, take your pick.
Every race has exclusive units, their own story and charm.
Even though every race has to accomplish roughly the same tasks, the mission design changes according to what race you play.
"It would have been ideal to have a completely unique campaign for every race, but it just wasn't possible to make it, and make it good, in the amount of time we had." says Dan Kading, admitting that they didn't have enough time to do that with the quality they expect from themselves.

The main game, Dawn of War II was plagued by a flood of very generic and repititve missions. "We learned from that" Assures Kading "That's why we wanted to build every mission in Retribution from the ground up and include unique events that stay in your memory.
Playing trough the game more than once pays off even though the campaign missions start on the known maps.
But the story changes, depending on what race you chose, you clash with different opponents."
The initial position where the story starts from is equally critical for every faction:
Ten years have passed since the events of the last expansion, Chaos Rising. The Imperium of Man is annoyed by the persistent unrest in subsector Aurelia and orders the Exterminatus. That's as dangerous as it sounds: A fleet of space ships arrives to completely destroy one planet after another with orbital weaponry.
To stop this method of cleansing the Imperium practices, your army jumps from one planet to another, using old teleport facilities (Most likely webways), to unveil the dark secrets of Aurelia.

Dan Kading explains why, out of all races, they chose the Imperial Guard as new playable faction. "Unlike the Space Marines, the Guard consists of 'normal' humans, which you can easily relate to. It's the most beginner-friendly race we made yet, due to the defensive capabilities it has ingame."
In comparison to the crazy aliens and superhumans, the Guardsmen feel almost 'tame'. One could think they made a jailbreak from Relics WWII game "Company of Heroes". Advantages in the vehicle department make sure that the guys don't end as cannon fodder. The Guard has the heaviest tanks and artillery in the whole game.

In the multiplayer gameplay, they are the only race with access to a vehicle in tier 1. The Guard can build and request turrets, cover, reinforcements and artillery. Everything turtle-players need.
And even with all the love for normality, the Imperial Guard has their set of heroes:
In multiplayer games, you choose between a female Inquisitor (offensive ranged), the Lord General (defensive healer) and the Lord Commissar (melee with support abilities).

During our visit at Relics office in Vancouver, we were able to play the first four missions of the Retribution campaign. We chose the new Imperial Guard as our faction. We control the heroes Castor, Adrastia and Merrick in the intro mission. Typical for Dawn of War, each hero has special abilites which need to be used tactical. Castor for example can heal or request reinforcements from above.
Merrick can turn invisible and Adrastia can burn single foes with a burst of witchfire.

By capturing the first post, we received the ability to build troops.
A guardsmen squad for example costs 280 requisition, which you can get by simple collection of crates scattered over the map.
A complex build and ressource system is lacking. To make up for that, we need to pay attention to the population cap, if it's reached, we can't produce any more units. A squad of guardsmen costs of 8 population points - well worth the price, as these guys can already repair buldings and vehicles out of the box, more skills and upgrades are unlocked later on. During the intro mission, we were already able to get our hands on the Catachan Devils, strong in melee, the Stormtroopers with their lasguns or an HMG-squad for supression. Together with the heroes, the diversity of the units is growing quite huge. After our bossfight against a local boss-tyranid, we were able to reap our rewards RPG-style: Gather equipment, distribute points in the 4 attributes we know from the other DoW II titles. The Imperial Guard includes 8 unit types, each can upgraded with up to 3 upgrades. You can choose to either spend points on your heroes, or upgrade your general units.
That way you can choose to either keep the focus on your heroes, or go to a larger scale and rely on your units.
The management of our troops wasn't the only thing keeping us on our toes in the intro mission - in the ruins the temple in ladon, we are chased by a superheavy Baneblade-Tank, and only reprogramming of a few turrets makes us able to crack it's hide.
It became really hectic during our escape from planet Typhon, where the Exterminatus had already begun. While battling it out with the other races on a race to our escape point, we had to watch out for the destructive beams raining down on the planet, which were thankfully shown by markers before blowing anything close to pieces.
The time limit of 20 minutes was also pushing us to our limits.
The used terrain type "blasted lava" will also be the foundation of new maps in multiplayer, where you can play the gamemodes already knows: Team Battle, 2v2, 1v1, TFFA and FFA.

Dawn of War II : Retribution is supposed to hit the shelves in March 2011, and will be a stand-alone game.
If the current generation of Dawn of War is done with Retribution isn't certain: When we asked, Dan Kading didn't dare to say if it's already over and if Dawn of War 3 is the next in line.
He only said "With the first Dawn of War, we said Dark Crusade would be the last expansion... three months later the producer approached us and and wanted to talk about Soulstorm.. I don't know anything about Dawn of War 3 at the moment." with an innocent grin.
Conclusion:

Abmitious Seconds
To call Retribution a mere "expansion" would be an example of exaggerated modesty.
I can finally experience with races other than the Space Marines and experiment with the new unit-building mechanic in the missions.
My focus will stay on raising my heroes, I just like the RPG-elements and the smaller scale.

Potential: Excellent.
THis is bad though for the Blood Ravens. Aurelia is their recruiting sector, they lose that you might as well kill the Chapter.
Old 2010-12-25, 19:38   Link #67
John117xCortana

The Blood Ravens are tough. They'll survive. And since the Imperium is vast they can find new worlds to recruit from. But first they have to clean up their own mess.
Old 2010-12-25, 19:53   Link #68
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
The Blood Ravens are tough. They'll survive. And since the Imperium is vast they can find new worlds to recruit from. But first they have to clean up their own mess.
That's if they can survive the haggardness that the trouble is aspiring from. The Blood Ravens seem to be in a very vital position, and with their recruiting worlds under constant threat, it seems they have almost no time to recruit more battle brothers.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 20:09   Link #69
John117xCortana

They'll adapt. They use quality over quantity anyway.

I wonder if Derosa is still alive.
Old 2010-12-25, 21:44   Link #70
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

It's not that simple.

Unless it's a dedicated Crusading Chapter like the Black Templars where they just yank recruits from whatever world they come across, Chapters who have no homeworld or have lost them have difficulty replenishing their numbers.
Old 2010-12-26, 00:44   Link #71
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

.....If the Blood Ravens can beat back splinter groups of an Ork Warband, Eldar Craftworld, Tyranid Hive fleet, surviving a near Heresy attempt and exorcised a Geater Deamon with just a few squards, I don't see them needing much recruitment.
Old 2010-12-26, 04:09   Link #72
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

If the Imperium is this strong, they should have wiped out all other factions from a long time ago. So I'll assume that everyone else except the Blood Ravens is incompetent
Old 2010-12-26, 04:52   Link #73
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Peeks at the Baneblade and confirms Valkyrie Dropship support at 2:06.
Old 2010-12-26, 05:53   Link #74
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

For those who can't wait to see the Baneblade in the vid:

You can also see a Leman Russ in there. Honestly, with both these tanks ingame, do you really need anything else when you're IG?

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
Old 2010-12-26, 06:49   Link #75
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Huh, so that Inquisitor was for the Guard after all.... color me surprised. And wrong.
Old 2010-12-26, 08:10   Link #76
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

The Baneblade looks invincible, but there's at least one glaring weakness to it from the preview; the main cannon needs setup timing to be fired.

And I wager that, like any other tanks, one good shot at to the rear will deal serious damage to it. So some good infantry support is in order.
Old 2010-12-26, 09:09   Link #77
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Well, I'm looking forward to some pictures of the Commissar.
Old 2011-01-01, 03:50   Link #78
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

No pics, but here's a snippet supposedly from PC Gamer, previewing the Imperial Guard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Gamer

Each of the six can play through specially-tailored variations on the same 16 missions. I start my campaign as the new kids on the block: the Imperial Guard. Though they're billed as the common man's army, as opposed to the genetically engineered super-soldiers of the Space marines or the naturally tough Orks, in the field the IG packs a punch equivalent to anything the superhuman armies can muster.

My commander hero, Lord General Castor, is a superbly mustached, pompous hunter who reminds me of John Cleese. He specializes at ranged support and sniping, but always travels with an upgradeable entourage of bodygaurds that can be geared toward melee combat.

With him are Inquisitor Adrastia, a capable melee fighter and offensive spell-caster who's been sent to investigate the cause behind the Exterminatus, and gruff soldier Sergeant Merrick. Merrick plays a lot like Tarkus, with his grenades and bolters, but can also be equipped with heavy weapons and use stealth.

Midway through the first mission I make a defensive stand against waves of assaulting Tyranids, and that's where my extra troops got a chance to prove their worth. For those who missed our last big Retribution story, the big change is that this single-player campaign plays a lot like DoW2's multiplayer game. It's still got powerful, upgradable heroes that never really die, but you can also purchase squads of common soldiers as backup via captured points on the map. My heroes do the heavy lifiting, but having more squads at my disposal opens up a whole range of tactical options, like changing my force composition to deal with heavy targets and upgrading my Guardsmen grunts to carry flamethrowers on the fly.

Retribution is all about options, and the rewards screen has them in spades. First I'm given the choice of hero Wargear, unlocking a new squad type (Catachan Devils, who look like sci-fi Vietnam fighters) or an upgrade for my lowly IG squads. I choose the Devils- I'll be able to build them in the field next mission. I equip Merrick with a weapon that turns him into a heavy squad with amazing range. It proves handy in the next mission, where I'm up against corrupted IG troops-they love their armor. I face a lot of bipedal Sentinel walkers and the amazingly powerful Baneblade tank.

After that mission I wasn't really digging Commissar Bernn-I'm too much of a softy to execute my own guys as a team-building technique. But Retribution is built to allow to me to make this exact decision, so I benched Bernnie for the next two missions (which included a raid against an Ork convoy) in favor of bringing an extra heavy weapon squad, buffs to my heavy hitting Ogryn soldiers and increased population cap. The max army size doesn't rival SC2 for sheer headcount, but it will still fill a screen or two with action.

I also tried my hand at IG in multiplayer-there's a lot to take in, but my early impression is that the IG is imposingly powerful in the beginning thanks to their early armor support. Once enemy tech advances to counter that advantage, they can use long-range bombardment of Manticore tanks to support their front-line troops.

I love what I'm seeing here, as it proves that Retribution isn't simply another helping of content onto the DoW2 pile- it's its own game with a unique style of play. Relic says there's more new stuff coming to the awesome Last Stand co-op survival mode, as well, so there's plenty of war to look forward to.

Old 2011-01-01, 05:53   Link #79
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
You have a choice between Wargear, Squad Type, or an upgrade for your squad? Oh wow, Retribution is just sounding more and more tempting to me.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 21:37   Link #80
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
.....If the Blood Ravens can beat back splinter groups of an Ork Warband, Eldar Craftworld, Tyranid Hive fleet, surviving a near Heresy attempt and exorcised a Geater Deamon with just a few squards, I don't see them needing much recruitment.
Then again it's possible to burn through more than an entire Chapter's worth of Marines throughout the DOW2 campaign if you choose to do so, which raises the question of how exactly they're structured in the first place :P most definitely not very Codex-esque I'd think