AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-19, 10:32   Link #341
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Italian guy here. I confirm that Bice is a diminutive of Beatrice, tipically used by old people.
There ARE Italians named Ruben, although it is uncommon. Ryukishi did his homework.
Can we get this in red?
Old 2010-08-19, 10:43   Link #342
DgBarca

Now that "quadrillion" pronouced in Japanese sytle is "Kuwadorian" and trillon gives "Toraian"...How would the whole sentence about the "quadrillon" sounds like in Japanese sytle ?
"This door is opened only at a probability of a quadrillion to one. You will be blessed only at a probability of a quadrillion to one" ?
Old 2010-08-19, 10:47   Link #343
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Italian guy here. I confirm that Bice is a diminutive of Beatrice, tipically used by old people.
There ARE Italians named Ruben, although it is uncommon. Ryukishi did his homework.
Except, apparently, on the military hardware. I wonder who made that sub image, or what sub was photographed for it.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-08-19, 10:55   Link #344
InternHertz
.lone.....

Alriiiight I've just finished reading the main story 5 minutes ago I'm keeping the two tea parties for a little bit, I think I'll read them tomorrow.
Old 2010-08-19, 11:23   Link #345
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Except, apparently, on the military hardware. I wonder who made that sub image, or what sub was photographed for it.
It looks to me like a random 3D model of a submarine overlaid on a photo of a cave before processing it with his usual horrible pseudo-painting effect. Random as in random, I have not yet been able to identify it as any real ship class. The colour is too bright, too, most submarines are much darker. (and thus it would be a much higher contrast after processing) The only background inside the sub looks anachronistic as well.
This is a marked contrast when he actually definitely knows what Kaiten is, and even where the nearest real base of Kaiten in Isu was.

Unfortunately the proper expert that I know is currently unavailable (deployed somewhere) so I can't get an expert opinion.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-19, 11:26   Link #346
Solachinx
is a myth

Send a message via Skype™ to Solachinx
What rank or honors was Kinzo given in the military, if any?
Old 2010-08-19, 13:08   Link #347
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
What rank or honors was Kinzo given in the military, if any?
I believe he's referred to as a Lieutenant in the IJN. He's an engineer. So far as I know, he never sees any actual combat (against the Americans, anyway).

Old 2010-08-19, 13:11   Link #348
Solachinx
is a myth

Send a message via Skype™ to Solachinx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I believe he's referred to as a Lieutenant in the IJN. He's an engineer. So far as I know, he never sees any actual combat (against the Americans, anyway).
Thank you, and, also, does he have a nickname of any sort while on the sub?
Old 2010-08-19, 13:16   Link #349
Oliver

Kinzo does not actually serve on the sub, he a construction engineer that serves on the Rokkenjima base -- which definitely is an IJN base. I'm also not certain if he is ever referred to by rank, but his CO is a Lieutenant, and extra TIPS say he was an officer - so most likely, he's an ensign.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-19, 15:34   Link #350
Valentinus

Hello, I haven't read all of this thread, so please excuse my blatant newness. Just wondering, is anyone working on a general summary of the events of EP7? I'm reading with my poor Japanese knowledge and online translators, so a summary would really come in handy. I'm sure lots of other people would find it helpful too.
Old 2010-08-19, 16:40   Link #351
ameskitty
Kupo

Ah, that took a bit longer than I expected - was it just me being busier than I was for EP6 or was this pretty long? (and of course the wifi here, which I was going to use to post daily summaries on my LJ, shows up the exact moment I finish the episode, and I was too engrossed to write daily notes on my computer so...that's near impossible now)

Well, that was probably one of the weirdest things I ever read. ...and I'm still trying to figure out why I liked it so much .

Just a few notes:
Spoiler for not a summary:

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2010-08-19, 16:47   Link #352
Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameskitty View Post
Haha, I knew that the Rudolf/Kyrie culprit idea would be bullshit from the moment Kyrie started bashing Jessica's face into non-existence. Going as far as killing the children is one thing, but we have absolutely no reason to believe that she's a brutal murderer.
Note that she is doing this with a butt of her gun. Sawed-off gun.
According to all the pictures, the butt is also sawed off halfway.

Basically, Kyrie has to be staring into the barrel the entire time while doing it, with a high chance of accidental discharge into her own face.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-19, 16:54   Link #353
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, the "not a sad story" thing is kind of a confusing and obviously metaphorical sequence anyway since the six-year-old Ange is referring to events and things that either (1) did not happen to the Ange we saw in ep4's 1998 or (2) cannot possibly have been known by Ange when she was six years old anyway.

So there's pretty obviously meant to be a literary association there of Ange/ANGE/Young Ange (I mean obviously, but in the sense that they represent the same intellect in narrative continuity) and that she's "young" in that scene because the knowledge Bern trampled into her has left her feeling vulnerable again.

The fact that it's Battler who starts the "funeral" in the prologue and is in the same (apparently, anyway) chapel in the epilogue, and a few of Bern's lines, make it seem pretty clear that the "body" (the story) was laid there by Battler (which would lend support to ANGE's claim at the end of ep6 that Beatrice was satisfied and went to sleep).

There's obviously several layers of narrative complexity there and what Battler does next sort of suggests it will be made obvious in ep8.

I think there's some strong hints here (and in ep6) that there may actually be only one future; the "cat box" closing in 1986 quite literally collapses everything into a single output. I just suspect the outputs are not what we have initially been led to believe. If nothing else, I have a strong suspicion that Eva wasn't the only survivor (at this point, the dangling question of Battler's survival is pretty much being mashed into our faces as hard as any other theory the storyline's addressing). If that's so, I can't imagine Ange will get an ending that completely erases the pain she's felt her entire life, but I do think something will happen that will both justify whatever happened to actually cause people to die (so that those deaths aren't meaningless witch's play), and reveal - if no one else - Battler as still being alive.

So the story wouldn't be a sad or scary one, but only because it would have a good ending... just probably not the "best possible" ending. A "best possible" ending basically absolutely requires that fate can be changed in 1986. I'm not sure we've ever seen proof of that. Of course, fighting fate isn't new for ryukishi stories or anything.

Old 2010-08-19, 16:55   Link #354
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameskitty View Post
How can Battler make a story that is not sad or painful for Ange to hear? An even remotely happy ending with Shkanontrice would still require a bit of sadness. It would be "redeeming" sadness, yes, but something that a 6-year-old would probably find sad. There's the disappointing/troll option - all the message bottles are a lie with a different answer - but, hmm...something's wrong here.
Who knows? According to the Red Truth we saw in EP7's Tea Party, those killings were real. Now, with some proper background and motives, then, they may not look so evil. Still, I wouldn't know how it'd turn into a non-painful nor sad story. Once again, it'll come down to subjectivity, much like Maria's life, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Basically, Kyrie has to be staring into the barrel the entire time while doing it, with a high chance of accidental discharge into her own face.
The reason behind that may be she got the broken shotgun. It was said one of them wasn't functioning properly, or something along those lines. I no longer remember.
Old 2010-08-19, 16:56   Link #355
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
The reason behind that may be she got the broken shotgun. It was said one of them wasn't functioning properly, or something along those lines. I no longer remember.
Rudolf complains that the one he's using isn't sighted properly. That could have been Natsuhi's in ep1 and she just missed because the gun is inaccurate. Or Rudolf is whiny.

Old 2010-08-19, 16:57   Link #356
Oliver

Quote:
Unfortunately, Rudolf had that one. This was the reason why he had to shoot George multiple times, and this was the reason why he lost the duel with Eva. Kyrie's gun only failed to produce a kill once, with Jessica.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-19, 17:01   Link #357
Used Can

Quote:
Kyrie's gun only failed to produce a kill once, with Jessica.
And with Eva... and maybe with Beatrice too.
Old 2010-08-19, 17:02   Link #358
Oliver

Abrupt realisation. StakeMaid sprites do not have the One Wing on the thigh. Shannon does.

Wearing the One Wing is a sign of special favour that can only be bestowed by Kinzo himself. Yasu's story never once mentions receiving such special favour in any fashion, whether the wing is actually a tattoo or just a stocking.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-19, 17:06   Link #359
Used Can

Quote:
Abrupt realisation. StakeMaid sprites do not have the One Wing on the thigh. Shannon does.

Wearing the One Wing is a sign of special favour that can only be bestowed by Kinzo himself. Yasu's story never once mentions receiving such special favour in any fashion, whether the wing is actually a tattoo or just a stocking.
Yeah, I was thinking about the same. Yasu probably got that tattoo after solving the Epitaph. Well, maybe.

I think it may have been a clue about who Shannon really was, since we had seen no other servant wearing the One Winged Eagle other than her.
Old 2010-08-19, 17:07   Link #360
Oliver

Quote:
And with Eva... and maybe with Beatrice too.
Regardless, using a gun butt to smash someone's face in is only practical when you have a full-length gun. Why Kyrie might have decided to do it is an independent problem, it's just not as effective as the text makes it sound.

That was the dining hall. Smashing at the face with the first thing she has on hand, which is the gun, I can believe, persisting in it when there's a full dining hall of chairs around is simply silly.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Closed Thread