AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-02, 12:55   Link #1101
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well there are several problem with that.

First, why would Yasu think she has any power to tell Genji what to do? Or where was it hinted that she knew Genji enough to ask him that troublesome favor? Everything suggests a cold relationship between the two.

Even assuming that Genji backed her up, what about Natsuhi, Krauss and more importantly Jessica? Didn't they think it was strange that suddenly Yasu changed name?

Also Yasu was attending a public school, so her identity including name and surname should appear in official registers.
While this identity was certainly forged through the fukuin orphanage, that was for the world the true Yasu's identity and not even Genji could change that. So you still need to think that Yasu's name somehow happened to be compatible with "Shannon", else Jessica wouldn't be so sure that Kanon's name must start with "KA" or "YOSHI"

Old 2010-09-03, 00:17   Link #1102
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Ah sorry I practically know nothing about touhou ^^;
Too bad. You cannot appreciate fully Jessica's stage singing in EP2 then.

Battler, you have already known it, right?

Without Love, it cannot be seen.
Old 2010-09-03, 00:32   Link #1103
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Not usually one to post in this topic but I'll ask anyway cause I'm curious and I can't find any info anywhere else.

Just who the heck is Yasu? I see this person mentioned a lot now and I'm completely in the dark about who they are. I think they're the only character from EP7 who I know nothing about.

Don't worry about spoiling me. I prefer to stay up-to-date even if I'm behind on reading/watching something.
Old 2010-09-03, 01:08   Link #1104
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Not usually one to post in this topic but I'll ask anyway cause I'm curious and I can't find any info anywhere else.

Just who the heck is Yasu? I see this person mentioned a lot now and I'm completely in the dark about who they are. I think they're the only character from EP7 who I know nothing about.

Don't worry about spoiling me. I prefer to stay up-to-date even if I'm behind on reading/watching something.
Sorry about the completely unrelated bit, but is that some kind of Battler-Luffy fusion in your sig?

That being said, Yasu is the individual that Episode 7 puts forth as the base personality for Shkannontrice, which Im assuming you've heard of before now? Thats more or less the short of it. Ill leave it to others to post the in-depth spoilers.
Old 2010-09-03, 01:19   Link #1105
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehChron View Post
Sorry about the completely unrelated bit, but is that some kind of Battler-Luffy fusion in your sig?

That being said, Yasu is the individual that Episode 7 puts forth as the base personality for Shkannontrice, which Im assuming you've heard of before now? Thats more or less the short of it. Ill leave it to others to post the in-depth spoilers.
Nah, it's just Luffy in the outfit he wears for the climax of the 10th One Piece movie.

And I take it Shannon has some multiple-personality disorder or something? And Yasu's one of these personalities?
Old 2010-09-03, 01:25   Link #1106
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Nah, it's just Luffy in the outfit he wears for the climax of the 10th One Piece movie.

And I take it Shannon has some multiple-personality disorder or something? And Yasu's one of these personalities?
Other way around, but thats the apparent gist of that presentation, and supposedly Kanon is another one. But it hasn't been confirmed yet in the red, only strongly implied.

So it could either be the actual truth, or Ryukishi epically trolling us. Of course, we realize this possibility and are coming up with interpretations and theories that can account for this being a troll on Ryukishi's part.
Old 2010-09-03, 02:20   Link #1107
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Yes, well, I know that duh. Clearly you don't get the easter egg then. What I stated earlier was a reference to Flandre, a Touhou character whose theme song is "U.N. Owen was her?"

As you know, Ryuukishi is an avid fan of the Touhou fandom too (petan pettan tsurupettan comes to mind)
Speaking of this, while I'm still catching up on the thread now I just finished Ep 7, I was wondering if anyone noticed that (in a certain sense) Ryuukishi07 validated the anime kakera in this episode?

Spoiler for anime kakera:

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)

Last edited by Ayu-ayu; 2010-09-03 at 03:45. Reason: changed "arc" to "episode" :3
Old 2010-09-03, 06:20   Link #1108
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
Also Yasu was attending a public school, so her identity including name and surname should appear in official registers.
While this identity was certainly forged through the fukuin orphanage, that was for the world the true Yasu's identity and not even Genji could change that. So you still need to think that Yasu's name somehow happened to be compatible with "Shannon", else Jessica wouldn't be so sure that Kanon's name must start with "KA" or "YOSHI"
I consulted a japanese dictionary program, and find that the (紗) in Shannon's name can also be read as: Tae or Suzu. The second half of Yasu's name can be anything, but I think it will be a quite feminine name.
Old 2010-09-04, 19:30   Link #1109
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The recent post on the Epitaph thread made me think.

This guys asking us what's the homeland. Of course that was never revealed until EP7, however at the same time EP7 makes it clear that knowing which is the hometown is basically a necessary element in order to solve the epitaph. All the adults knew which it was in advance and Genji tells Yasu that it's Taiwan in order to give her a fair chance to solve the epitaph.

So if someone wants to know which is the hometown from someone who already knows the solution he's not cheating, it's actually Ryuukishi that cheated by not telling us.

He only gave us a very faint hint with EP5, and that's still after the 4 core arcs.

I think that there are two main elements that are necessary to solve this epitaph, at least for the people inside the games:

1) You need to know which is Kinzo's hometown (why the heck the cousins never asked to their parents?)
2) You need to know the chapel's inscription

Shannon is officially a dick:

Quote:
Battler: "...Shannon, you've fed a lot of sake to Grandfather, haven't you? Hasn't he ever told you about his hometown?"
Shannon: "...The Master almost never speaks of his past. ...However, he speaks of the Great Kanto earthquake as though it was someone else's story, so he may have been living far away from the Kanto area."
"He may have been living far from kanto area"???
You knew that he lived in Taiwan! Genji told you!
You refused to give Battler that very hint that was granted to you?
You suck!

Old 2010-09-04, 19:31   Link #1110
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

See? She and George are made for each other.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-09-04, 19:47   Link #1111
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
He only gave us a very faint hint with EP5, and that's still after the 4 core arcs.
Um. I have discovered the Taiwan connection just based on Ep3 and some history researched, as I have previously mentioned. It's not like I didn't hear about the Taiwan connection before that, but it is possible to arrive at it before Ep5.

Quote:
2) You need to know the chapel's inscription
Actually... Why chapel? The guesthouse is suspiciously completed just around the time the epitaph goes up.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-09-04, 19:59   Link #1112
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Yeah, but Taiwan isn't confirmed in any way and Kinzo could have lived anywhere off the information we actually have available. I think Jan-Poo's point is that, for absence of any actual reference to the location, you do have to take a guess and see if the Taiwan Theory makes sense from there. It does, but that doesn't really mean you had any reason to think of Taiwan besides random speculation.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-09-04, 20:12   Link #1113
Oliver

No, I guess it isn't. My logic leaves it a tossup between Taiwan and Okinawa with a slight bent towards Taiwan. Do we have any other words to which the key may apply though?

I think I'm going to bruteforce it. That is, I'll search the entire translated text for a word "qilian" can be applied to as the key.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-09-04, 20:25   Link #1114
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Um. I have discovered the Taiwan connection just based on Ep3 and some history researched, as I have previously mentioned. It's not like I didn't hear about the Taiwan connection before that, but it is possible to arrive at it before Ep5.

Actually... Why chapel? The guesthouse is suspiciously completed just around the time the epitaph goes up.
I wish you had told me about Taiwan before the qilian theory was proposed, not thinking about the fact that the Japanese territory was wider at the time Kinzo was young was the biggest flaw in my reasonings.

But remind me exactly... what was the connection you made?

as for the chapel, it was a lot better than the guesthouse. First off it's never been Kinzo that wanted the guesthouse built but Krauss. Second the chapel was said to be very important for Kinzo even so there was apparently no use for it. The fact that Kinzo didn't want people to run around it was yet another hint (and EP7 even confirms this). Then in EP2 part of the inscription was revealed and it basically says: "hello! this is the door to the golden land"
Plus the mere fact that Ryuukishi was so mysterious about it, was very suspicious.
Lastly in EP3 Eva says that she will go to a place fit for sacrifices.

In fact I think it is a lot easier to make a connection between the chapel inscription and the epitaph (and therefore to quadrillion) than thinking that "kyou" must be read as the numeral "ten quadrillion" (there are a hundred of different kanji with that reading! A hundred!!!) and then you need to think you only need 1/10 of it, and then you need to translate it in english... what the hell?!

Rosa claiming that Eva would have never solved the epitaph if it wasn't for her suggestion was total bullshit. That was the worst hint ever and totally unnecessary.

Old 2010-09-04, 20:49   Link #1115
Oliver

Quote:
But remind me exactly... what was the connection you made?
It was well after it was proposed. I actually knew about it and immediately forgot. Then I stumbled on Taiwan when analysing Ep3.

My logic went like this:
  1. Rudolf says "..But the townscape had changed completely from Father's time. After all, it was caught up in the war, wasn't it? It was impossible to even figure out where Father actually lived."
  2. Japanese mainland was only bombed for a very short period, because for most of the war, land-based bombers simply didn't have the range and IJN ruled the seas, so carriers couldn't get close enough. Japanese mainland was never invaded with the exception of Okinawa (which isn't mainland). Sakhalin and the related islands were taken relatively quietly as far as I am aware.
  3. The first air raid listed is actually the air raid on Taiwan in 1943, which resulted in displacing 10000 people. Other than Taiwan, only the Kanto area, Okinawa, Hiroshima and Nagasaki actually suffered enough bombing or land battles to "change completely".
  4. "that place has had a remarkable revival." Therefore it has to be a population center in 1986.
  5. Eva went there as a vacation and has no problem dismissing it as such. Therefore this is a suitable vacation spot for a wealthy Japanese woman. That basically rules out everything except Okinawa and Taiwan. (And if I was mistaken about Sakhalin, it too, because there's no way Eva would go to USSR for a vacation.)
  6. Eva actually prefers foreign countries because she mentions different ones every time the issue of vacations comes up. That makes Taiwan preferable.

Quote:
Plus the mere fact that Ryuukishi was so mysterious about it, was very suspicious.
Everything he's so mysterious about makes me doubtful and it's not like I don't have the computing power for a brute force search.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-09-04, 21:02   Link #1116
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

You know what was the problem about that?
At the time I read EP3 it totally looked like they were saying that Eva went to Odawara. That's because nothing hinted that the adults knew anything about the real homeland, so it was unthinkable that Eva went to a place no one knew anything about.

The translation was changed after EP5. You were able to understand it correctly because you re-analyzed that part recently.

Old 2010-09-04, 21:10   Link #1117
Oliver

Quote:
The translation was changed after EP5. You were able to understand it correctly because you re-analyzed that part recently.
"I believe all of us siblings are thinking of the same place."

Did that part change too? Because, well, I analysed it back when Ep6 translation wasn't out.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-09-04, 21:18   Link #1118
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think that's exactly the sentence that was changed. I might be wrong...

Old 2010-09-04, 21:23   Link #1119
Judoh
Mystery buff

I haven't updated my translation for the question arcs so the script I have is the one before the update.

I just checked and that line was there before it.
Old 2010-09-04, 21:34   Link #1120
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

How old it is? They made several updates. If you find the sentence

"Six years ago, you might've been mistaken for a servant's daughter who lent a hand at your parent's work"

then it isn't the oldest one.

Closed Thread