AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 93 68.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 19.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 6.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-19, 12:38   Link #161
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
For one, it probably would have been a lot more heartwarming without cracking the snot jokes, but maybe that's just me being silly
Yeah, they could've left that out, but come on, it wouldn't have been as realistic if they did :P
bloppyblue is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 13:10   Link #162
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
After seeing all the hype and praise surrounding this episode, I did my best to rush through all the episodes I haven't watched yet in order to see what all the hoolah was about. While it certainly was a great episode, it didn't quite meet my expectations, and I'm not really sure how to describe why it didn't in words? If I was forced to put in words, then I could possibly say that this episode would have hit me harder if it was the scheduled last episode? That's only really half the issue though.

For the school concert festival being their last one, it certainly wasn't as good as previous ones in my opinion. The two new songs weren't all that great (though I do like the message behind U&I), and I felt that Yui's Emceeing and the intermissions in general were dragged out too long.
I believe the long Yui crowd-working was a wholly-intentional directing decision. We know that, when they want to, KyoAni can emphasize the music. Witness the face-shredding solo that Sawako did earlier in the season when she was embarrassed into reuniting with her old band. Pure Pure Heart was musically impressive too. Or even Yui practicing My Love is a Stapler all the way back at the beginning of the season. And let's not forget Episode 12, Season 1. All of those had decently technical instrument-playing animation set to clean, studio-quality music. Much of the audience, outside the assorted members of the B Cast, are cardboard cutouts.

They could've done a face-shredding musical performance for S2E20, but it would've made the last scene of the episode feel out of place. So, instead, we're shown a concert experience. We're shown that the girls aren't so focused on the technical aspects of the music, so much as they're having the time of their lives. Look at their facial expressions. These aren't the SERIOUS BUSINESS or "trying way too hard" expressions the girls have had in past performances. These are the expressions of a band enjoying what they do and feeding off the vibe and energy of the audience. The audience isn't made up of cardboard cutouts, they're a living, breathing, part of the girls' experience. They use more camera tricks like Shaky-Cam(tm), soft focus, and lens flare. The music you hear isn't studio-quality. It's the sort of muddy mess you'd expect if someone were sitting in the audience, recording it live on a tape recorder.

It's a beautiful setup for the hammer blow of impending reality in the last part of the episode. If there's anything that would've improved the emotional impact, it would've been if the episode had faded to black with the hand-holding shot and rolled the credits over U&I, instead of going to the usual NO, Thank You!
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 14:07   Link #163
Iketsu31425
T.H.A.N.K
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Well, This episode had me in tears at the end surprisingly enough. The songs were good and I was happy they didn't just cut to a picture of outdoor scenery (Which I was expecting after the first song) And then they Did Fuwa Fuwa Time with the outside scenery and I really thought that was it and it was over But nope, they kept going with the concert and I was happy about that.

Also Musical animation was great. Mugi's Keyboard slide, Yui tugging on the microphone cable before removing it from the stand, and Mio's bass line in Yui's Food song. They did a nice job as usual with the musical animation.

I think the big thing that did it for me in the end of the episode was that hearing them plan out the next year and talk about having AC for the summer, and recruitment concerts I knew that eventually it was going to hit them, and once Yui mentioned the next years school festival concert I lost it after seeing her cry, Just seeing as she's the carefree airhead and now she's openly crying. I just kept watching that scene over and over and I couldn't figure out why.

Well, to wrap up I would like to say the hope of a 3rd season is... slim but there. In the Manga they did all agree to attend the Same College... So... Again it's slim but it's there.

Hope these last 6 episodes are good, and that the Graduation becomes a concert for the last time.
__________________
Iketsu31425 is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 14:11   Link #164
Afternoon Tea
Ta~Da!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois, United States
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Afternoon Tea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iketsu31425 View Post
Well, This episode had me in tears at the end surprisingly enough. The songs were good and I was happy they didn't just cut to a picture of outdoor scenery (Which I was expecting after the first song) And then they Did Fuwa Fuwa Time with the outside scenery and I really thought that was it and it was over But nope, they kept going with the concert and I was happy about that.

Also Musical animation was great. Mugi's Keyboard slide, Yui tugging on the microphone cable before removing it from the stand, and Mio's bass line in Yui's Food song. They did a nice job as usual with the musical animation.

I think the big thing that did it for me in the end of the episode was that hearing them plan out the next year and talk about having AC for the summer, and recruitment concerts I knew that eventually it was going to hit them, and once Yui mentioned the next years school festival concert I lost it after seeing her cry, Just seeing as she's the carefree airhead and now she's openly crying. I just kept watching that scene over and over and I couldn't figure out why.

Well, to wrap up I would like to say the hope of a 3rd season is... slim but there. In the Manga they did all agree to attend the Same College... So... Again it's slim but it's there.
That is so true i can't bare watching the end of this episode its to emotionally painful
__________________
====
Signature:
Yui Hirasawa
====
MyBlog:
Blog!

====
Quote:
"I'll send
all my loving
to you.
"


Afternoon Tea is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 14:21   Link #165
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Maybe help Azusa with a recruitment concert.

Only problem with the post-Yui Light Music Club is that the supplier of tea and cake will be missing (the source of the summer beach houses as well). Though Asuza and Sawako might be able to tug at Mugi's heart enough to get at least the tea and cakes for one more year.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now  
Old 2010-08-19, 14:49   Link #166
zette
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Maybe help Azusa with a recruitment concert.

Only problem with the post-Yui Light Music Club is that the supplier of tea and cake will be missing (the source of the summer beach houses as well). Though Asuza and Sawako might be able to tug at Mugi's heart enough to get at least the tea and cakes for one more year.
Doubt a recruitment concert would work. After all the concerts that they've held in school, you'd think that someone else would have joined by now. It's kinda been established that the school population isn't really keen on joining, although next year's freshmen may be different. Of course there's always Jun whom we know is ever so interested in the affairs of the light music club, and I think that is the most probable solution to the issue of Azusa being lonely the next year, but then again that's only one new member.

The tea and cake, however, certainly won't be a problem. I'm sure Mugi definitely wouldn't mind.
__________________
zette is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 15:27   Link #167
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
After a fourth rewatch, I started wondering something.

Yui forgets which song they're supposed to play next after Gohan wa Okazu. We'll probably never know for sure, but I wonder if Fuwa Fuwa Time was really the song they were supposed to play, or if it was merely played because they needed to improvise and this song was the most obvious choice (it being the fan favorite and pretty much the band's theme song).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Doubt a recruitment concert would work. After all the concerts that they've held in school, you'd think that someone else would have joined by now. It's kinda been established that the school population isn't really keen on joining, although next year's freshmen may be different.
The reason why no one wants to join was pointed out in an earlier episode. I believe Jun mentioned that the current group of club members form such a tight bond with each other, that potential newbies fear they won't fit in. And I think that's very understandable.

The main four girls had been together for a whole year and formed a very close friendship by the time Azusa joined. And considering how much trouble she had fitting in at first, it would probably be even harder for a freshman to join this tight pack of friends without having trouble getting fully accepted.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 16:12   Link #168
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
I thought it was kind of obvious that they skipped over some songs, given that in their first concert they actually played four songs in a similar ( or shorter) timeframe.
Proto is online now  
Old 2010-08-19, 16:55   Link #169
Iketsu31425
T.H.A.N.K
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Doubt a recruitment concert would work. After all the concerts that they've held in school, you'd think that someone else would have joined by now. It's kinda been established that the school population isn't really keen on joining, although next year's freshmen may be different. Of course there's always Jun whom we know is ever so interested in the affairs of the light music club, and I think that is the most probable solution to the issue of Azusa being lonely the next year, but then again that's only one new member.

The tea and cake, however, certainly won't be a problem. I'm sure Mugi definitely wouldn't mind.
Well Remember, Ui can play the guitar just as well as Yui (If not better) As we saw back in Season 1 so theres another potential member :P
__________________
Iketsu31425 is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 18:12   Link #170
Procrastinator_CA
Laborus Tardis
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Did you guys notice that there was absolutely no food shown throughout the episode? Things are indeed coming to an end
Procrastinator_CA is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 18:29   Link #171
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
No wonder they were crying. They didn't get tea and cake like Yui wanted.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now  
Old 2010-08-19, 18:32   Link #172
krko
The Movie is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Unibesidad ng Komunistang Pilipino
Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Doubt a recruitment concert would work. After all the concerts that they've held in school, you'd think that someone else would have joined by now. It's kinda been established that the school population isn't really keen on joining, although next year's freshmen may be different. Of course there's always Jun whom we know is ever so interested in the affairs of the light music club, and I think that is the most probable solution to the issue of Azusa being lonely the next year, but then again that's only one new member.

The tea and cake, however, certainly won't be a problem. I'm sure Mugi definitely wouldn't mind.
The main thing that stopped people from joining the club was that the existing members are too close to each other, so you'll kinda get the feeling that you'll get left out. Once the main four have graduated that problem doesn't exist anymore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
After a fourth rewatch, I started wondering something.

Yui forgets which song they're supposed to play next after Gohan wa Okazu. We'll probably never know for sure, but I wonder if Fuwa Fuwa Time was really the song they were supposed to play, or if it was merely played because they needed to improvise and this song was the most obvious choice (it being the fan favorite and pretty much the band's theme song).
Actually, my guess why we hear Fuwa Fuwa Time during practice segments is so that we don't get "spoiled" for the newer songs. They might even replace them for the DVD version later .
krko is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 18:34   Link #173
Haruhiism
Figma Collector
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator_CA View Post
Did you guys notice that there was absolutely no food shown throughout the episode? Things are indeed coming to an end
Hmm this may be the first episode where no body eats anything. There was food I believe with Ui's classmates holding dango? and the other girls selling the mammoth meat. Also looked like there were snacks/candies on the table in the music room. Sorry to nitpick your comment but I understand what you were getting at.

Overall, a very emotional episode for me due to the ending yet for the most part, I did feel Yui MCing was so long just to cut down on their musical performance animation. While watching the episode for the first time, it seemed like forever until Yui would announce their new song "U&I". Too bad they didn't do Mugi's Honey Sweet Tea Time song. Maybe we'll get that one and another of Mio's songs for the finale. Poor Ritsu needs to come up with a song even if it's "Bag goes Bang". My score for this ep is 9/10
__________________
My figures and anime merchandise collection:
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Haruhiism
Haruhiism is offline  
Old 2010-08-19, 21:26   Link #174
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
The reason why no one wants to join was pointed out in an earlier episode. I believe Jun mentioned that the current group of club members form such a tight bond with each other, that potential newbies fear they won't fit in. And I think that's very understandable.

The main four girls had been together for a whole year and formed a very close friendship by the time Azusa joined. And considering how much trouble she had fitting in at first, it would probably be even harder for a freshman to join this tight pack of friends without having trouble getting fully accepted.
I think Azusa herself may have something to do with it. Depending on who may have overheard her grousing about the antics of the original four, any newbies who might have an interest in joining would be scared off by the idea of them walking into the Music Room, and the four going "NEW STUFFED TOYS!!!11!!!1"



Alternatively, it could be Mio who could be keeping the newbies away. Given the apparent size of her fan club, she might be carrying an "untouchable" aura around, unknown to herself. That aura could well be why no newbies would dare to join the Keionbu; that would be getting too close to their idol, and we all know how that usually goes.
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2010-08-20, 07:58   Link #175
zette
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Yui forgets which song they're supposed to play next after Gohan wa Okazu. We'll probably never know for sure, but I wonder if Fuwa Fuwa Time was really the song they were supposed to play, or if it was merely played because they needed to improvise and this song was the most obvious choice (it being the fan favorite and pretty much the band's theme song)
I contemplated the possibility of it after watching the sub, and I do think that is the case. They probably did forget what song they were actually supposed to play, and just decided to play the song they're best known for. Of course in reality it's just KyoAni being bastards and refusing to give us a third song, but if we were to think exclusively from the point of view of the characters, I think the theory is reasonable and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
The main four girls had been together for a whole year and formed a very close friendship by the time Azusa joined. And considering how much trouble she had fitting in at first, it would probably be even harder for a freshman to join this tight pack of friends without having trouble getting fully accepted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
The main thing that stopped people from joining the club was that the existing members are too close to each other, so you'll kinda get the feeling that you'll get left out. Once the main four have graduated that problem doesn't exist anymore.
Yeah, you two are right. Seems that I forgot about that. Indeed, after the original four graduates, the problem should pretty much be gone. I mean, who wouldn't want to join a club with Azusa?!
__________________

Last edited by zette; 2010-08-20 at 08:12.
zette is offline  
Old 2010-08-20, 08:24   Link #176
Peanutbutter
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
The more I listened to Gohan wa Okazu, I'm reminded of Kira Kira Days, the B-side to the 2nd OP...

And after watching this episode, I think they definitely took some ideas of animating the songs from their live concert, particularly the Mugi sweep. That was one part that captured me in the live version of Fuwa Fuwa time.

Last edited by Peanutbutter; 2010-08-20 at 11:14.
Peanutbutter is offline  
Old 2010-08-20, 18:18   Link #177
yakumo-chan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Behind You!
Age: 24
what the hell happened to Honey Sweet Tea TIme??
__________________
yakumo-chan is offline  
Old 2010-08-20, 18:23   Link #178
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
what the hell happened to Honey Sweet Tea TIme??
Gosh, what happened to the lyrics Mio mailed Ritsu back at the last episode of season one.
bloppyblue is offline  
Old 2010-08-20, 19:48   Link #179
VEE
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Send a message via MSN to VEE Send a message via Skype™ to VEE
Ritsu herself rejected it, remember?
She tells Mio that the lyric is no good
VEE is offline  
Old 2010-08-20, 21:40   Link #180
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Wasn't Honey Sweet Tea Time the music U&I's lyrics were set?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.