AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-28, 16:41   Link #2721
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Also to anyone else with this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
Or not it seems. I downloaded it and all I get is a green screen with the audio and no subs when I play it (I'm using VLC on a Mac).
Am I missing something? Do I have to combine this with the raw somehow?
Quote:
It's the MKV file I went for first. That's what's giving me the green screen.
I'm dl-ing the MKA now hoping they might work together but if the video file is giving me a green screen already, I'm not hopeful. Time will tell.
I believe the problem is that it's 10-bit. If you have the Lion OS and a 64-bit processor, I think you can try using mplayer 2 or mplayerx...but I'm not really sure, because my Mac doesn't have the required specs.

(Alternative solution - ask someone who's downloaded the Commie file to extract the sub for you, (you have the file, what am I saying? orz) use iMkvextract to extract the subtitle file and retime (and remux if necessary) it with a raw you can play. I'd help...but I don't have the file. Or wait...I'm sure someone will release an 8-bit version soonish.)

p.s. the .mka file is just the FLAC audio, if I'm not mistaken. Don't bother with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Way to go to sink the shipping war, now we know whose Alto chose or couldnt chose...
So...my question to everyone is: what do you take from what Kawamori did in the movie with regards to the triangle?
(1) for the movies, and (2) for the Frontier series in general.

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Aldnoah.Zero EXTRA DAY event report
Random translations, and Random ACG musings
(currently focused on A/Z and Sound! Euphonium)

Last edited by karice67; 2011-10-28 at 17:07.
Old 2011-10-28, 16:46   Link #2722
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
Commies 1080p version out. 720 to come soon (5 to 10 hours).

Im so excited! >w<
Already have mine~~

Though it's currently not working very well. I'm updating my VLC player to see if the graininess will stop. If not, I'll have to wait for 720p. ;(

EDIT - nvm, finding a new player now. Can't wait to watch the subs after work~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
So just wondering, did the DVD just come out?
Yup, last Thursday!
Old 2011-10-28, 17:00   Link #2723
hai_san

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
So...my question to everyone is: what do you take from what Kawamori did in the movie with regards to the triangle?
(1) for the movies, and (2) for the Frontier series in general.
I will wait 24h to respond, because i want more ppl watch the movie before i start to spoil the fun xD
Old 2011-10-28, 17:01   Link #2724
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

damn, it's out?? woooot!! i'll watch it later..

sheryl, i'm gonna see you now T_T
Old 2011-10-28, 17:06   Link #2725
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
I will wait 24h to respond, because i want more ppl watch the movie before i start to spoil the fun xD
After waiting 8 months, I suppose I can wait an additional day ^^

p.s. similarly, there are a few things I will not be posting for a few more days. I'll let everyone get their initial reactions out of their systems first.

Enjoy the movie, guys and gals!

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-10-28 at 17:19.
Old 2011-10-28, 17:32   Link #2726
magnuskn

Well, I just finished watching it ( the DL was agonizingly slow for the last 20% ) and before I delve into the reviews and impressions of other people, here's my own review, as free of taking into account others opinions as possible.

This movie got heart. While there are plenty of instances where the writers employed spades of handwavium, heavy exposition and way too many fake-out deaths, the essence of the movie is about friendship, love and understanding and how the three mains relate to each other. And Sayonara no Tsubasa delivers fully on these accounts.

The first movie was hampered by having to recount the plot of the series, and therefore felt more like a extended set-up for this second part. While it had a ton of great scenes, it had also to do the heavy lifting of repairing Ranka as a character and establishing her as a viable rival to Sheryl for Altos affections. It managed to do those things, but the final package was somewhat lacking, at least for me.

Having gotten that out of the way by now, Kawamori and Yoshino apparently felt liberated to tell a really new story and leave themselves the freedom to give us a story they actually wanted to tell. The result is a movie which still touches on the themes of the second part of the series, but manages to wrap them up in a highly satisfying way.

I am still somewhat overwhelmed from the experience, but I'll try to give each important character its due.

Sheryl was as awesome as ever. They took her tendency to sacrifice herself to the Nth degree and she really earned her happy ending. Which she got, even if the movie leaves us with what appears to be an unresolved situation. But just as with the TV series, anybody who has the slightest talent for extrapolating the most likely outcome should see that, yes, there were clear signs that Alto was returning. I have a sneaking suspicion that Kawamori/Yoshino have a problem with showing a super-happy ending, but they leave the viewers enough clues to get to the conclusion that there was a good ending after the credits rolled.

Alto really advanced in this movie. Free of the silly gender&identity issues they saddled him with in the first movie, his character advancement was more focused on him stopping to do things at a half-measure, something which was less of a focus for him in the TV series, but which could have been a viable direction they could have taken with him there. I am not sure which character advancement I prefer, the TV series and second movie both emphasized different aspects of how he matured. While in the series it was about his acceptance of being comfortable with admitting that he loved his home, friends and comrades ( going from "I hate Frontier" to "I must protect my home" ), the focus in the second movie is on not being so wishy-washy about his relationships, which is something which also could have benefitted the TV series Alto.
I like both versions very much, but I'll readily admit that second movie Alto is much more assertive and open than TV series Alto.

Ranka was, again, all-around improved. They made her act smart and honest. I felt bad for her for not winning Altos heart, although I still prefer very much that Sheryl won this race. I think Ranka is the major reason why I will have difficulties reconciling the two universes, as the difference between series!Ranka and movie!Ranka is so vast that they might as well be two different characters. I think I'll let it stand there, because going further in that comparison will only make me start ranting about the errors of Ranka from the series, and this thread shouldn't be about that.

Now, in no particular order, the things which left the biggest impressions on me:

- The fleet of Battle Macross's, transformed and shooting their main cannons.

- The ultimate bro moment between Alto and Michael, after Alto determined to not do things by half-measure anymore.

- Megumis improved singing. I mean, May'n is still better, but Megumi really belted out some fantastic songs.

- The incredible cuteness of chibi-Sheryl and chibi-Altos meeting. Oh, they should do a series about those two. I mean, it would just add another alternate universe, right? We got tons of those for Evangelion and Fate/Stay Night, after all. ^^

- On a bit negative level: Macross Quarter surfing a giant piece of debris down the athmosphere. Yeah, there is a level where even my suspension of disbelief snaps and I go "Oh, come on..."

- Too many fake-outs of character deaths. I mean, I liked how Sheryls apparent death moved the characterization of the other characters ahead, but some of the other fake-outs should have been cut.

- The battles were amazing.

- Raramia Rerenia seems to have survived. I like redheads.

- Michael and Klan surviving, too, was great. They should get their own spin-off.

- The whole test-tube Sheryls thingy was not nearly as ooky as plant-head duo Sheryl. ^^

- And I'm not sure if the DVD/BD release extended those scenes by a second or something, but the Vajra Queen folding out before the beams hit and Sheryl moving her lips when the earring flashed were very clear and almost impossible to miss.

All in all, a great movie. Does it replace the TV series as my favored continuity? No. I think I'll have to let both continuities run concurrent, because the TV series had other strengths which I very much appreciate, like Grace being an incredibly great villain, a version of Alto which I like as much as second movie Alto and more extended storytelling, which did not have to cram so much exposition down our throats so awkwardly.

But this second movie made me view the whole effort Satelight, Kawamori & Co. vent through much more favorably, as they managed to clear up most things which they left unresolved in the series.

I give the movie therefore 9 out of 10 points. The missing point is due to the problems mentioned above and because I prefer not leaving things unfinished... and not showing Altos return is what the second movie should have finished with.
Old 2011-10-28, 17:40   Link #2727
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I think they didn't explicitly show Alto's return and waking up Sheryl ala Sleeping Beauty style so as to give the few Ranka fans out there some quiet dignity in which to mourn. ie: They didn't want to shove it into those fans' faces.

Remember, Ranka fans are people too guys!
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-28, 18:14   Link #2728
magnuskn

Oh, and I just noticed that they used a ( great! ) modified version of Prologue F for that fantastic flashback scene of the first meeting of young Sheryl and Alto, so FUCK YEAH! "Prologue F" really was their song!

Also, that should put any "Sheryl is 21 years old hurdurdurherpderp" ramblings to rest.
Old 2011-10-28, 18:16   Link #2729
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
- The fleet of Battle Macross's, transformed and shooting their main cannons.
Those were Quarters from SMS fleets everywhere. Although as mentioned before, some Battle Macross did made it to the fight, such as the Battle 7 being mentioned in the novels.

Quote:
- The ultimate bro moment between Alto and Michael, after Alto determined to not do things by half-measure anymore.
And Mikey lived, imagine that!

Quote:
- On a bit negative level: Macross Quarter surfing a giant piece of debris down the athmosphere. Yeah, there is a level where even my suspension of disbelief snaps and I go "Oh, come on..."
Eureka 7 homage, crowning moment of cool

Quote:
- The battles were amazing.
Wish they were longer.

Quote:
- Raramia Rerenia seems to have survived. I like redheads.
She was a mute, but I liked her more than pinky. Besides, pinky just destroyed a Zentradi's image for me... utterly killed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb
I think they didn't explicitly show Alto's return and waking up Sheryl ala Sleeping Beauty style so as to give the few Ranka fans out there some quiet dignity in which to mourn.
Well, to address that, the end credit duet certainly proved to be a huge hint of the aftermath...

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2011-10-28, 18:31   Link #2730
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Woke up this morning and the first thing I did was watch it.

Such and amazing movie! I think I may have to rewatch it a few more times to gather my general thoughts.

I have some first impressions though

Spoiler for First Impressions:
Old 2011-10-28, 18:54   Link #2731
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I actually watch the whole movie, but at first, I was going to watch the Sheryl x Alto moment in the last scene, but I'm glad I didn't, because the whole movie was a blast. My favorite 2 scenes would be Ranka rejection and Alto confession to Sheryl.
Old 2011-10-28, 19:14   Link #2732
Thess

Quote:
Ranka was, again, all-around improved. They made her act smart and honest. I felt bad for her for not winning Altos heart, although I still prefer very much that Sheryl won this race.
They were such an OT3 to me, even if it's not officially romantic for all sides. This movie did such a great job to show the strength of the love they share (not all love must be romantic to be strong). I want the three of them reunited and happy together again. Ranka and Sheryl should tour the Galaxy as a fabulous singing duo, since their voices complement each other so well. I would love to see a cracky holographic concert of the two of them! Alto can do flying stunts during it or dance around in a loli dress!

/daydreams

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-10-28, 19:38   Link #2733
Moosey

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Commie does their subs and stuff in 10-bit so make sure you have al your codecs updates. (if you havent already)
I did indeed make sure VLC was up to date but still no dice unfortunately.
May have to wait for another version as I'm not massively code-literate and I'm still very new with all this Mac stuff having recently changed over (not yet a true believer either).

Regarding the whole triangle thing (but not yet understanding the second movie just yet) I still feel mostly pity for Ranka. I guess in a way I wanted to her to be happy in some way at the end even though I felt it was inevitable if there was an actual choice on Alto's part, it would have gone Sheryl's way. I dunno if that's just sypathy/empathy or inevitability but I think it's where it would go with natural progression. Just my humble opinion!
Old 2011-10-28, 20:01   Link #2734
MichiNekoChan

Quote:
I did indeed make sure VLC was up to date but still no dice unfortunately.
May have to wait for another version as I'm not massively code-literate and I'm still very new with all this Mac stuff having recently changed over (not yet a true believer either).

Regarding the whole triangle thing (but not yet understanding the second movie just yet) I still feel mostly pity for Ranka. I guess in a way I wanted to her to be happy in some way at the end even though I felt it was inevitable if there was an actual choice on Alto's part, it would have gone Sheryl's way. I dunno if that's just sypathy/empathy or inevitability but I think it's where it would go with natural progression. Just my humble opinion!
Well VLC is just the player, you may need to actually update your codecs, not the player itself. Try to update your CCCP, FFDShow, CoreAVC or LAV filters/codecs.

I would also say try K-lite codec pack and open it with its bundled Media Player Classic...

but I'm not sure if it works on a Mac to be honest. >.< I hope another version comes out for you soon.
Old 2011-10-28, 20:05   Link #2735
MichiNekoChan

Also, I give applause to the nice song/dialogue timing in this scene.

Spoiler for Pic:
Old 2011-10-28, 20:06   Link #2736
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Btw, I know Sheryl, Alto, and Ranka get all the fan love, but I really liked how they portrayed Grace this time around. She was always hot, but getting some more dimensions than power-mad/drunk antagonist this time around really boosted her character from superficial hotness to full-bodied hotness to me.

Also, anyone else feel like they were playing Starcraft during some of the Vajra battle sequences?
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-28, 20:26   Link #2737
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Also, I give applause to the nice song/dialogue timing in this scene.

Spoiler for Pic:
The original line isn't quite so pertinent:

「乙女心 勇気出して」

Translated elsewhere as "Maiden’s heart, be brave" or "Girls, be brave".

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Btw, I know Sheryl, Alto, and Ranka get all the fan love, but I really liked how they portrayed Grace this time around. She was always hot, but getting some more dimensions than power-mad/drunk antagonist this time around really boosted her character from superficial hotness to full-bodied hotness to me.
I really really liked what they did with Grace. ^^

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-10-28, 21:39   Link #2738
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I really really liked what they did with Grace. ^^
I want to see her and Kathy in bikini

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2011-10-28, 22:01   Link #2739
Bri

Saw the subbed version of the second this evening while rewatching the first one yesterday. My impression in one word: excellent. The movie(s) present us with an alternate take on the events of the TV-series much like DYRL. Difference this time is that the movie also improves the main storyline.

Plot:
In my opinion the plot of the movie, while similar, makes a more sense then the TV-series and much less time is wasted on filler or subplots that lead nowhere. The Macross and Galaxy governments are both after the technology/fold network of the Vajira and there is little confusion now on who the agressor in this conflict and why that matters in Macross. Especially is for those who had no prior experience with Macross. The triangle is now seamlessly integrated in the story. Where I often felt I was zapping between a high school romance and a space opera in the TV series, the movies blend events much better. The spy angle made a lot of difference.

Characters:
All the main characters have been significantly altered in a positive way.

Sheryl being actually aware of what is going on, made her character more complex and endearing. Same goes for the added emotional vulnerability and her new found clumsiness raised her moe level significantly.

Ranka is a much stronger individual, more independent and smart, she resembles the Ranka that had regained her memory in the TV-series from the start. Some alterations in her character design made her face look a lot better.

Alto underwent the biggest changes. He is pretty much a different individual in the movies. He is much less absorbed by his family and identity issues, and those get rapidly sorted out. The most important change is that he is now a Macross main protagonist. This Alto accepts that in war both sides suffer and is prepared to act accordingly, instead of adapting a them or us approach. This represents the whole improvent mankind underwent in Macross, peacefull coexsistence through mutual understanding. It was silly to have a main character that went against this core principal and I'm glad it was corrected. Alto is now the heroic individual he should have been from the start.

Grace is another pleasant surprise. The-taking-control-of-the-galaxy thing before was a bit too Star Wars for me. Her genuine affection for Sheryl while doing as ordered added a layer to the character. Kikuko Inoue delivers as always.

The quirky bridge crew of the Quarter got a bit more to banter but still too little given the top voice acters on these characters. Captain Wilder stole the show.
I would have liked to have seen some interation between Leon Mishima and Nene Rora (VA of Haruhi and Kyon) but can't have everything.

Not quite sure what to make of Brera, I felt he snapped out of the mindcontrol too late which not gave him any time to really interact with Ranka. Probably the only character of which I prefered the TV-version.

Animation:

The general quality level was high, especially the backgrounds, and the action scenes flowed nicely. The Macross Quarter surfing on atmospheric rentry was most rediculously epic moment of the movie. We need more of those. It reminds me a bit of the attack run of the Macross in DYRL on Bodolza's fortress. (The destroyed fortress as a Vajira nest was a nice touch). Personally I'm not too big on the use of 3D CGI in anime, but it blended reasonably well with the 2D, and since most of it was in space, it didn't overly clash with the rest.

Satelight still has a bit of catching up to in terms of character animation. It's a bit static and the rather bland character designs don't help. This is especially noticeable in the concert scenes, it doesn't really compare favourably to some more high budget TV series (like for example the concert scenes in Angel Beats or K-on).
Still all in all, an amazing movie and a nice addition to Macross.
Old 2011-10-28, 23:45   Link #2740
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

One thing I like for sure about the movie. Ai-kun's new evolved form. Never liked the bug form from the TV series.
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, military, movie, romance, science fiction, song