AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-23, 22:28   Link #1641
raile
<3
*Author

"They were all fans of the show who sent their work in and it was given his seal of approval!"

Hmm, I must have missed the "Send us your work! And maybe we'll publish them officially!" contest.

There you go again, talking about how official materials are from the fans. musoka already cleared that up with his post. The writers and artists are hired, not fans who submit their works.
Old 2011-03-23, 22:33   Link #1642
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
As for reasons why he doesn't publish AruRan material: has anyone stopped to think that perhaps he can't find a magazine who WILL publish it?

It exists. But I never heard that Kawamori launched it or promoted it in the official websites like the Sheryl comic. For the record, judging by his claims in the interviews, nobody sent him a Sheryl comic, HE wanted one and sought a magazine and a mangaka to publish one to appeal the demographics and focus the story less on space battles and more in "show biz" and "school life"?

Of course Ranka is being presented as the rival for Sheryl there. It's still a love triangle.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-23, 22:40   Link #1643
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I bet $0. You know why, because to him, it's all about the money. Don't blame ME for being mad at the endings, as, like I said, they made official art for Hikaru/Minmei and even Basara/Mylene after the ends of those two Macross'. Even Zero had at least one picture of Shin/Mao.
Aren't a few official spreads of Alto trying to reach a falling Ranka or protecting her or holding her as she wears a Minmay costume? I remember one in the first movie was Ranka happily hugging a distant Alto with Sheryl as background.

Sure, there are far more Triangular, Alto/Sheryl and Sheryl/Ranka (maybe Michel/Alto, he blushes so much when Michel embraces him or touches him...) promo pics, but there are some. Ranka also has a lot of promo art with Brera and Ai-kun...

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-23, 22:44   Link #1644
CrowKenobi

Last time I checked, this was the thread for the second movie, NOT about doujins, Kawamari, or anything else that has been discussed lately.

It all ends now, else posts are going to disappear, and I will issue warnings...

Thank you.

If you feel that you need to continue this, use the general MF thread, AND BE POLITE!

Old 2011-03-23, 23:20   Link #1645
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

The lulz and Aruran Conspiracy Theories in the last two pages are all very entertaining to read, but yes, let's move this back on topic and talk about something more worthwhile.

Will the battle in the ending be as epic as the Frontier vs Galaxy ship clash in Episode 25, barrage of songs and all? I've never seen anything like it before, MF being the first mecha I've seen that I actually paid attention to, so if it's ten times the adrenaline rush, then maybe it's time to pick up that shopping list for Plasma TVs and epic sound speakers. In pink.
Old 2011-03-23, 23:33   Link #1646
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
Will the battle in the ending be as epic as the Frontier vs Galaxy ship clash in Episode 25, barrage of songs and all? I've never seen anything like it before, MF being the first mecha I've seen that I actually paid attention to, so if it's ten times the adrenaline rush, then maybe it's time to pick up that shopping list for Plasma TVs and epic sound speakers. In pink.
I hooooope so. Macross vs Macross is epic. Any opinion about the dogfights and this, Yot-chan?

Old 2011-03-23, 23:53   Link #1647
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I hooooope so. Macross vs Macross is epic.
Agreed.

Macross vs. Macross, even Macross vs. Galaxy was cool; but I'd like to see Macross > Vajra < Galaxy fight. A three way fight between two enemies and Macross. I wonder if Galaxy would win against Vajra or if Macross would win; and then who'd kill the one left?
Old 2011-03-24, 07:41   Link #1648
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Sheryl's disease did not come from nowhere, it was foreshadowed quite a lot. Unlike Ranka's Jesus Powers which in fact came out nowhere (and were mercifully removed in the movies). Likewise, her earring was given a lot of hype (from the opening and the ending, they are everywhere) and in the end of the tv series, it was Sheryl's song the one that made the Vajra understand humans are different (not Ranka's), so the movie only tweaked what was already there. It was Sheryl, by admission of Ranka in the last episode, that was the catalyst for her and Alto to follow their dreams.
Sorry to interrupt here but as far as the TV series go it is hinted that Ranka inherited her "disease" through her mother. But rather that the virus harmed her, they coexisted with her. The only "magical" moment she had was where she prevented Sheryl from death (which is actually a mindgame).

Also it was both - Ranka and Sheryls - songs to give the Vajra the understanding that humans are different. One alone could not have convinced the Vajra that humans are different.
Old 2011-03-24, 07:44   Link #1649
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Sorry to interrupt here but as far as the TV series go it is hinted that Ranka inherited her "disease" through her mother. But rather that the virus harmed her, they coexisted with her. The only "magical" moment she had was where she prevented Sheryl from death (which is actually a mindgame).
I guess I imagined her curing Sheryl of her disease via whatever-that-was, then?
Old 2011-03-24, 07:51   Link #1650
Father Hentai

I don't see it as curing but transferring the virus from brain to belly. Sheryl still has the virus/disease but in the belly they seem not to harm her just like Ranka. Another possibility would be that with the transfer she receive an immunity but yeah. That's magic. If they would be cured - which I mean with removed physically - then the Vajra would not have "understood" her. I guess this is what you were asking for, right?
Old 2011-03-24, 08:37   Link #1651
wisteria233

Quote:
I don't see it as curing but transferring the virus from brain to belly. Sheryl still has the virus/disease but in the belly they seem not to harm her just like Ranka. Another possibility would be that with the transfer she receive an immunity but yeah. That's magic. If they would be cured - which I mean with removed physically - then the Vajra would not have "understood" her. I guess this is what you were asking for, right?
because she was never shown to have such abilities before. She was just shown with the ability to affect Vajra, she was never even hinted at having magic. Hence why people refer to her as jesus Ranka.

Which is why
Spoiler for movie:
Old 2011-03-24, 08:40   Link #1652
magnuskn

Quote:
Oi. Yes, I think doing some magical fold wave stuff on Sheryl so that she is not dying anymore, but rather seems to be perfectly healthy afterwards, would actually count as "curing" her.
Old 2011-03-24, 08:58   Link #1653
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
because she was never shown to have such abilities before. She was just shown with the ability to affect Vajra, she was never even hinted at having magic. Hence why people refer to her as jesus Ranka.
By people do you mean by us or by the persons in the series?

I haven't seen her as jesus only because she was able to transfer disease from point A to B however it was strange because the whole scenery was within the fold wave comm where all three could communicate with each other.

It could be that physically Ranka communicated with the viruses and they moved themselves from from brain down to belly.

The point you hid in spoiler tag is indeed more reasonable.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2011-03-24 at 10:24.
Old 2011-03-24, 11:02   Link #1654
magnuskn

Quote:
By people do you mean by us or by the persons in the series?
I'd say "both"?
Old 2011-03-24, 15:20   Link #1655
Dash_Hunter
Pilot

I don't know from where the "Ranka-Jesus" thing came from, it never seemed like "anime magic" to me at least because it had an explanation (not a really good one but...).

It was explained in the series that the Vajras have some kind of intestinal bacteria that let them communicate through fold waves, and that the bacteria are harmful to humans, that's the V-type infection.

What Ranka did was communicate with the bacteria to make them move from Sheryl's brain to the stomach which is the only body organ where the bacteria is harmless, that way Ranka saved her life and at the same time Sheryl kept the ability to produce fold waves.
We see this when a bunch of vajras die protecting Island 1 and both Ranka and Sheryl feel the pain in their stomachs.

I admit the movie's take on this matter is more realistic, but keeping in mind all the concept of the series about the bacteria with fold quartz what Ranka did makes sense (more or less), she didn't really cure sheryl, she just made the infection harmless.
Old 2011-03-24, 15:24   Link #1656
Thess

To those who watched the second movie:

Spoiler for some spoilers:

Old 2011-03-24, 17:43   Link #1657
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
I don't know from where the "Ranka-Jesus" thing came from, it never seemed like "anime magic" to me at least because it had an explanation (not a really good one but...).

It was explained in the series that the Vajras have some kind of intestinal bacteria that let them communicate through fold waves, and that the bacteria are harmful to humans, that's the V-type infection.

What Ranka did was communicate with the bacteria to make them move from Sheryl's brain to the stomach which is the only body organ where the bacteria is harmless, that way Ranka saved her life and at the same time Sheryl kept the ability to produce fold waves.
We see this when a bunch of vajras die protecting Island 1 and both Ranka and Sheryl feel the pain in their stomachs.

I admit the movie's take on this matter is more realistic, but keeping in mind all the concept of the series about the bacteria with fold quartz what Ranka did makes sense (more or less), she didn't really cure sheryl, she just made the infection harmless.
Which means at the end that the Vajra and Ranka are Jedis!
Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian
Old 2011-03-24, 18:19   Link #1658
Lancel

Quote:
Which means at the end that the Vajra and Ranka are Jedis!
Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian
Ranka = Yoda. Sheryl = Luke. Grace = Vader. Ozma is Han. Also Ozma shot first.
Old 2011-03-24, 21:19   Link #1659
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Ranka = Yoda. Sheryl = Luke. Grace = Vader. Ozma is Han. Also Ozma shot first.
What would that make Alto?

Chewbaca or Princess Leia?
Old 2011-03-24, 21:44   Link #1660
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

You have to ask?

Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, military, movie, romance, science fiction, song