AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-27, 18:42   Link #1721
SS13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233
Actually yes it is over. You haven't been paying much attention to the interviews if you think that it only applies to the movie verse. It was advertised as the end of the triangle. And even if you do ignore the movie you have Yoshino who was responsible for the tv series who outright said that Alto was more interested in Sheryl than Ranka.
THAT was clear from the beginning. It was clear to me that the only way Alto can end with Ranka is
Spoiler for Duh:
Sheryl is simply stronger. But a THREESOME is not out of question, series-wise, and there were strong hints at that, too.


Spoiler for Series:
in the tv series was actually Yoshino's idea, in fact the entire last episode was Yoshino's idea.

Alst episode also had
Spoiler for series:
I, in fact was anticipating this for series (see below).


Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233
Shouldn't you wait until you actually see the movie before you say this?
And again shouldn't you wait until you see the movie before you pass judgment on it?
Note that I DO NOT judge the movie as a whole - only the ending. And for ending, there are enough spoilers around to decide. In fact, I do like many elements from the movie (based on what I heard, of course). That said, I have seen way too many stories with good start and botched ending (BSG2003 anyone?) and generally think such stories are not satisfying - but THIS question I truly cannot decide without seeing it first.


Quote:
Sheryl is more like the way she was at the end of the tv series.
Spoiler for O Really?:



Spoiler for Another Story Variant:


Now to the question of Series Ending vs. Movies Ending:

Spoiler for Comparison:


Quote:
The movie incarnation of Sheryl Nome and Ranka feels foreign to me I feel they are different characters
Personally, I now prefer to think that the MF movies were created by some Lucas wannabe, who over-dramatised the second part of his trilogy, then the third
part got cancelled . At least that means the the series ending stands, so we can enjoy
Spoiler for realistic combinations:
stories .

And Yes, I feel sad. I was so anticipating the movie, hoping for a great resolution - and then we get this. The movie is probably still good, but the great finale would need another ending...
SS13 is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 20:24   Link #1722
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS13 View Post
Spoiler for Another Story Variant:
...

I seriously want to use the 'indifferent' emoticon, but I shall refrain from doing it.

Spoiler for Spoil manga:

The moral of the story this time, do research first before, y'know, putting your info on and claim things


Bah, caught a fever AGAIN. ;-;
__________________


Last edited by Natsuki Hyuga; 2011-03-27 at 20:38. Reason: Smiley, wry did you diasppear with my net cuting up in posting?!
Natsuki Hyuga is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 21:13   Link #1723
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Why do people assume
Spoiler for movie spoilers:


Also for Sheryl manga...

Spoiler for off topic:


Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
That's the thing it seems more like the girls were joking but Kawamori wasn't.

Yep this... Can we say episode 24 ending, anyone?
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 21:18   Link #1724
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS13 View Post
THAT was clear from the beginning. It was clear to me that the only way Alto can end with Ranka is
Spoiler for Duh:
Sheryl is simply stronger. But a THREESOME is not out of question, series-wise, and there were strong hints at that, too.
I can't say the movie isn't this because I haven't seen it, but at the same time neither have you. Your just basing your opinions on a summary given by someone else.

Quote:
Spoiler for Series:
in the tv series was actually Yoshino's idea, in fact the entire last episode was Yoshino's idea.

Alst episode also had
Spoiler for series:
I, in fact was anticipating this for series (see below).
Can't really say that because no one knows just what was the originally planned ending for the tv series. Though in the case of the tv series, I can't really say that Ranka would have won the love triangle if Sheryl died, because she had problems when it came to communicating with Alto, without Sheryl there to help her.


Quote:
Note that I DO NOT judge the movie as a whole - only the ending. And for ending, there are enough spoilers around to decide. In fact, I do like many elements from the movie (based on what I heard, of course). That said, I have seen way too many stories with good start and botched ending (BSG2003 anyone?) and generally think such stories are not satisfying - but THIS question I truly cannot decide without seeing it first.
And how can you do that when you haven't watched the events leading up to it? You say that Sheryl's character is weaker and yet you don't know whether or not her behavior or the events that would make her have that sort of behavior. I can't say whether or not the ending is botched because I've only seen the tv series ending, and I very well can't pass my judgment on the movies ending based on that because the circumstances are different.



Quote:
Spoiler for O Really?:
Spoiler for movie:
As I've only seen the first movie I can say that Sheryl's attitude in the first movie was the same as it was in the last couple of episodes. I can't really speak for the second movie, and neither can you as you haven't seen it yet.

Quote:
Spoiler for Another Story Variant:
And it seems your wrong about that too.

Quote:
Now to the question of Series Ending vs. Movies Ending:
how can you compare something based only on the summary of the movie? You've only gotten to the first movie and you've read summaries of the second one, and needless to say summaries are bound to not include every little detail. Based on that alone your comparison is very weak as you're essentially complaining about a movie you never saw. Reading a summary about a movie is not enough to help you with your opinions, as summaries do not include all of the events, dialogue, or even the characters behaviors both around each other and alone, it doesn't even tell you 50% of the actual story.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 21:23   Link #1725
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I want to answer to a lot of things more, but I think it should be in the romance thread.

Moviegoers: What was Leon's ultimate fate?
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 21:23   Link #1726
Foreshadow
Nyaa~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 26
I've been away for awhile, but I have to say, I'm probably going to avoid this topic until the movie comes out...

Then maybe some kind of discussion can be done properly.
Foreshadow is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 22:43   Link #1727
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I want to answer to a lot of things more, but I think it should be in the romance thread.

Moviegoers: What was Leon's ultimate fate?
This I'm still wondering whether or not he came across as an effective villain.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 23:20   Link #1728
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
...

I seriously want to use the 'indifferent' emoticon, but I shall refrain from doing it.

Spoiler for Spoil manga:

The moral of the story this time, do research first before, y'know, putting your info on and claim things


Bah, caught a fever AGAIN. ;-;
This is why I love shoujo.
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 00:52   Link #1729
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post



I disagree with this 100%! Ranka isn't the ONLY one who had issues communicating with Alto, especially in life or death situations. SHERYL hid her disease and - like I said above - EXPECTED him to help her. He always looks lost as HELL!

If Sheryl wasn't around, Ranka would be able to communicate better with Alto. Who is there whenever Ranka gets her foot in the door to his heart? Sheryl! So if she's out of the picture, I image that it would be easier for her to open the door to his heart, as there wouldn't be an (don't take offense AruSherri fans) annoying idol following him around whenever Ranka goes with Alto.
Well consider this for one second The only time that Sheryl and Alto didn't really communicate was when Sheryl purposefully didn't want Alto to know something (that she was sick). They were normally on the same page for about anything.

If it wasn't for Sheryl then Alto would have tried to kill Ranka. If it wasn't for Sheryl, Alto and Ranka would have never met. It was also the others who urged Alto to with Ranka even before he gained an interest in Sheryl that way, but he wasn't showing an interest.

Meanwhile Ranka went on believing in the tv series that a staged kiss meant something, that a staged flight performance was a declaration of love, that Alto always saved her when he never does, and even then its never just him, someone always helps out. Ranka's crush on him was built and cultivated by misunderstandings, and assumptions by both parties.

Ranka had Alto's phone number she could have called him to spend time with him, even just as friends, heck Nanase even told her to do as much, but Ranka did absolutely nothing. In episodes 13-18 Ranka was in the prime position to actually try to win Alto's heart (in a chance given to her by Sheryl's illness and Michael's insistence which Alto was reluctant to take mind you), but she never did anything. Sheryl had nothing to do with any of those moments, those misunderstandings were only between Alto and Ranka. Besides Alto had a choice to stay away from Sheryl, but instead he sought her out.

The first movie should have clued you in Alto and Ranka had been friends for an unknown amount of time before and yet they were still stuck in the friend category with Alto not thinking of her in that manner, heck Sheryl had to point it out to him, and when she didn't he didn't even react. If he hasn't noticed her in that manner the entire time that they've been friends then he will never notice her.



Quote:
Um, [SPOILER="Sheryl"]I will say that the possibility of her waking up from the coma is slim. I mean, we cannot take one stir to her waking up, as it could be something more serious. I had a person I knew was in a coma and she had a stroke... died... it was sad.
Comas are serious illnesses.
Anime =/= Real life one shouldn't apply real world logic in anime, especially anime made directed, and written by Kawamori.

Quote:
I DO agree that Sheryl is always close to dying when she wins the triangle.
TV series: deathly ill, Ranka leaves, Alto finally pledges himself to Sheryl AFTER her learns she's dying, she nearly dies, magically cured by Ranka
Movie verse:
Spoiler for finale:


She is ALWAYS nearly dying when Alto confesses love to her, which is why I cannot see the AruSherri being the ending, as it brings too many memories of his mother - and I mean PAINFUL ones! I am left to think that
Spoiler for Alto to Sheryl and Ranka:
The TV series ending was Yoshino's idea so don't look into it too much, especially considering his reasons making the ending the way he did. Though you even he made it clear that Alto's feelings for both girls wasn't equal.

I don't think that Alto's feelings for Sheryl are based solely on his feelings for his mother, specifically because of how fast their relationship went before the last couple of episodes. And even then you could just say he likened them to one another because he realized that he was going to lose Sheryl, another person that he loves.

Quote:
Oddly enough, I find this to be funny.
The person who wrote "Kiss in the Galaxy" is NOT Kawamori, nor related to him; just his ideas. The writer put out what she wanted to but Kawamori also supported it. So it is not HIS plot. So it being recreated in the movie verse is a stupid comparison to make.
The writer was commissioned to write the manga, then Kawamori goes over it to make sure that he agrees with it. That's what it means to be an official material in a franchise.

What you're thinking of is a doujinshi, which is completely different.
Quote:
Spoiler for for comparision:
You never saw the second movie, how can you go around drawing conclusions to a movie you've never seen. You say you're not passing judgment yet your doing it right now, hypocrite much? Besides that I think you need to look up basic japanese. Japanese people don't tell their friends that they love them, at least not by using that particular word.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 00:54   Link #1730
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Thinking Sheryl is weaker than Ranka... Although I think both are equally strong movie wise, but in the TV series, this is hilarious.

Spoiler for off topic:


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Spoiler:


Spoiler for spoiler:
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-03-28 at 01:08.
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 01:13   Link #1731
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Spoiler for Of topic continued:



While I can say that first movie Ranka is more independent, can sing on her own and therefore is stronger than TV series Ranka.

However movie Sheryl is going through a completely different situation from tv series Sheryl, and even tv series Ranka (though there are similarities), as she is an outsider, who isn't being allowed to enter any inner circles, though she hasn't done anything to deserve such treatment.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 01:59   Link #1732
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I have looked up basic Japanese. It is normal for that. Hell, we use the same term every day with family and even friends. "Aishiteru" is a universal term for "I love you." Quite honestly, quite a LOT of people use the term towards friends.
...I have studied the language during six years and taken two levels in the Nihongo Nōryoku Shiken so far (this year I'll take the next level)...
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:01   Link #1733
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Hmmm, I'm picking up sockpuppets and fail troll wannabes here. :-) In other news, I'm still waiting, quite impatiently in fact, for this gigantic Arusherri wedding scan that was released in Macross Ace, as well as news about Brera's sexy chest. Oh my...!
cheesie is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:07   Link #1734
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
Hmmm, I'm picking up sockpuppets and fail troll wannabes here. :-) In other news, I'm still waiting, quite impatiently in fact, for this gigantic Arusherri wedding scan that was released in Macross Ace, as well as news about Brera's sexy chest. Oh my...!
I'm with you here, cheesie. Better than going off with people going through the stages of grief (stagnantly still in the denial phase.)
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:10   Link #1735
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
I'm with you here, cheesie. Better than going off with people going through the stages of grief (stagnantly still in the denial phase.)
Gee, that that explains why you guys are the only ones flaunting a "supposed" victory.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:13   Link #1736
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Gee, that that explains why you guys are the only ones flaunting a "supposed" victory.
There it goes again.
Don't worry, LMK, there are still some Aruran doujins you can buy. *pats*
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:13   Link #1737
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
Hmmm, I'm picking up sockpuppets and fail troll wannabes here. :-) In other news, I'm still waiting, quite impatiently in fact, for this gigantic Arusherri wedding scan that was released in Macross Ace, as well as news about Brera's sexy chest. Oh my...!
Is that the one darkplataform posted with Alto still wearing his pilot outfit? He should have been the blushing bride to bridegroom!Sheryl.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:17   Link #1738
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
There it goes again.
Don't worry, LMK, there are still some Aruran doujins you can buy. *pats*
Seriously, 5 people out of HOW many AruSherri fans are flaunting their victory? I'm talking about HERE alone. That's a small number, don't ya think?
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:19   Link #1739
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Seriously, 5 people out of HOW many AruSherri fans are flaunting their victory? I'm talking about HERE alone. That's a small number, don't ya think?
Pfft..

Check the Japanese blogs. Pixiv and fanarts too.

Ah...sweet denial~

I can't wait for the release date of the movie.
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 02:27   Link #1740
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Pfft..

Check the Japanese blogs. Pixiv and fanarts too.

Ah...sweet denial~

I can't wait for the release date of the movie.
English speaking people, dear.
There aren't a lot of AruSherri fans around since the movie's release that speak in English or live in a place that does. Japan, I wouldn't count it, as you EXPECT Japanese people to be obsessed; after all, the movie is FOR them, it's their country.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, military, movie, romance, science fiction, song

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.