AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-19, 10:09   Link #21
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Google CEO Exposes Dark Side of Social Networking

Quote:

By Tony Bradley, PC World

Google CEO Eric Schmidt fears that too much information is shared online, and predicts that people will one day change their name and reinvent themselves in order to escape their digital past. That point of view might be extreme, but it is true that social networking has forced us to more closely examine and redefine the concepts of privacy and identity.

Google CEO Eric Schmidt warns that information shared online can permanently damage your reputation.There are many exciting benefits to the evolution of the Web and the rise of social networking. Facebook and Twitter have enabled people to reconnect with friends and family, and provide a platform for sharing information and staying in touch. The real-time aspect of social network status updates has also transformed online search and breaking news.

The problem is that social networking also provides a very powerful tool for embarrassing yourself or ruining your reputation on a global and virtually eternal scale. Once you put it online, it is shared around the world in seconds, and can still be recalled after decades.

You're Hired

It is not uncommon now for the job application process to include sharing your social networking account information. Tech savvy employers want to be able to check out your Facebook profile and your tweet history on Twitter.

What you say and how you act online says a lot about you. Examining your online persona gives employers a raw and unfiltered glimpse at who you really are, and is a much more effective tool for screening potential employees than the psychological personality or aptitude tests relied on in years gone by.

You're Fired

There is a long and growing list of stories of people losing their job as a result of Facebook status updates or Twitter tweets. It is generally a bad idea to bad mouth your boss or your job on a social networking site, or to post pics and status updates about how much fun you're having at the beach after you called in sick.

One poor soul learned this lesson the hard way--possibly costing him a job at Cisco before he even started. Employers are watching, so letting the world know that you hate the job you have been offered is a quick way to get that offer rescinded.

What's Your (Friend's) Credit Score?

It's all about who you know. In this case, who you know could make or break whether or not you can get a loan. Some banks are using services like Rapleaf to scan your social network and identify contacts connected with you that also do business with the financial institution. Based on the financial stability and credit history of your social network connections, the bank can make an assumption about what sort of credit risk you might be.

Till Death Do Us Part

It seems fair to assume that your spouse would be a Facebook friend, and a part of your Twitterverse. Why not? Love is grand, and you want to share everything with your partner...until you don't. If the relationship goes south, you may want to unfriend your ex and be careful what you say online.

A Time Magazine article explains "Lawyers, however, love these sites, which can be evidentiary gold mines. Did your husband's new girlfriend Twitter about getting a piece of jewelry? The court might regard that as marital assets being disbursed to a third party. Did your wife tell the court she's incapable of getting a job? Then your lawyer should ask why she's pursuing job interviews through LinkedIn."

You're probably familiar with the phrase "an elephant never forgets". Well, the Internet never forgets and it has zettabytes of archived storage capacity that can be searched in seconds thanks to companies like Google. I don't recommend changing your identity to try and dodge your digital past, but I do recommend exercising a modicum of discretion and common sense regarding what you post online.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 13:19   Link #22
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

I don't get it, the only thing politicians don't do today is end their debate with "Ofcourse I've been lying through my teeth all this time"
So what's this about being unable to hide the truth 40-50 years from now when idiots today still vote well knowing they are being had?
Old 2010-08-19, 15:21   Link #23
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
It's more like...

We all do things as kids and young adults. We screw around, do stupid stuff, etc. Most of us grow out of it and become normal adults, but the internet now preserves it. So if you decide to run for office, your opponent merely has to do a google search to show you hitting on a bong at a party with alcohol present, at a time when you were underage. Or that you broke into a building once.

Despite what you may hope, political races are determined by mud slinging; your opponent merely has to make you look worse and you lose. So the winner is someone who either made fewer mistakes, or somehow managed to hide it better. Which leads to ludicrous "I smoked but didn't inhale!" statements.

But it's not so much political aspects, as it is jobs. Prospective employers have already fired or declined to hire people who were tagged in a FB profile, that showed them holding a beer. It's stupid, but it happens.

Hopefully we'll get to a point where we realize "Yeah, he did something stupid, but we all do stupid things, so what's the big deal?" and these things the internet preserves won't be such a big deal anymore.

At least, that's what I hope for.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 17:15   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't worry so much about politicians as I do the average joe trying to
1) get a job
2) get a loan
3) get insurance
and so on. As we all know also, if someone sets out to smear you on the internet - it is impossible to remove the smears even after the culprit is long impaled.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 20:17   Link #25
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
why do you need social engineering to figure out the location of an ip address?

personally, I register to sites with fake names/email/etc and hide behind Tor for sites that I want a bit more privacy with. not perfect, not bulletproof, but acceptable enough for me.
Wouldn't using a fake e-mail create problems for account validation and such?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 20:31   Link #26
Random32
Also a Lolicon

fake email as in a disposable email or an email account made specifically for the website
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 22:21   Link #27
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
But it's not so much political aspects, as it is jobs. Prospective employers have already fired or declined to hire people who were tagged in a FB profile, that showed them holding a beer. It's stupid, but it happens.
This is what happens when you have an employers market instead of an employees market. It's also one of the reasons why companies hate unions, because for all their faults they preserve the employee market. When companies have to live in "fear" of the people who actually make it all happen day in and out, things tend to work out better for society. I realize how Marxist that sounds but consider what has happened in the absence of employee power and it doesn't sound so crazy.

I won't even touch politics, given that it's gone so far off the deep end even the politicians themselves don't even know what they stand for anymore except "we're not the other guy".
Old 2010-08-19, 22:39   Link #28
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

the more you reveal the less you are capable of lying..............as for me im what i am im no super hero im just a regular human being who loves stuff and hates stuff
Old 2010-08-19, 22:49   Link #29
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Thats why I dont put any thing on the net that I cant lie to no pics of me or well be ever.
Old 2010-08-20, 01:16   Link #30
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
When companies have to live in "fear" of the people who actually make it all happen day in and out, things tend to work out better for society. I realize how Marxist that sounds but consider what has happened in the absence of employee power and it doesn't sound so crazy.
That's not Marxist, that's what's keeping common people from being used as ants or bees
Old 2010-08-20, 01:49   Link #31
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
This is what happens when you have an employers market instead of an employees market. It's also one of the reasons why companies hate unions, because for all their faults they preserve the employee market. When companies have to live in "fear" of the people who actually make it all happen day in and out, things tend to work out better for society. I realize how Marxist that sounds but consider what has happened in the absence of employee power and it doesn't sound so crazy.
Marx didn't propose it as a replacement to tyranny or anarchy, but rather a counterbalance to it so everything evens out.

There is nothing wrong alluding it as a counter to greed-fueled profit motive rather than its win-win-everyone-happy counterpart. I never believed that unions should always have their way or employers should maximise their personal income by shaving off their employees.

The idea of "a fair day's work worth a fair day's wage" applies for everyone, including the person who started-up the company and went around sucking sausages for finances and materials to keep the entire place running : this is where the law, accountancy (both financial and human) and personal interests cross paths - everyone has to give and take in some way so nobody falls into the swamp.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-08-20, 07:35   Link #32
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, so the internet knows all about me and in order to keep my cell phone activated I have to give out personal data, in an age where cell phones are becoming more and more indispensible. Fine, so be it...if someone dares use it against me, I will use theirs in my favour, see how they like them apples.
In case anyone calls me immoral, I shall respond that such is the world, and I have solid evidence right here on the net.
If they deny me a position I would have gotten undernormal circumstances, I'll check what they've done and take down the entire company if need be, by the same means.
Am I a downloading pirate hacker? Can people really arrest me for it? I'll set a clause to be only apprehended after all the sites I've ever used are closed down permanently. Internet rules can lead to a clusterfuck of logical fallacy, and since nobody -applies- them, it is the same as being non existant.
Old 2010-08-27, 11:07   Link #33
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Marx didn't propose it as a replacement to tyranny or anarchy, but rather a counterbalance to it so everything evens out.

There is nothing wrong alluding it as a counter to greed-fueled profit motive rather than its win-win-everyone-happy counterpart. I never believed that unions should always have their way or employers should maximise their personal income by shaving off their employees.

The idea of "a fair day's work worth a fair day's wage" applies for everyone, including the person who started-up the company and went around sucking sausages for finances and materials to keep the entire place running : this is where the law, accountancy (both financial and human) and personal interests cross paths - everyone has to give and take in some way so nobody falls into the swamp.
The problem is that capitalism met globalization, just like how once great American companies insourced from Africa, and then outsourced to the midwest, then the west coast, with the rise of globalization they are paying the chinese a fair wage for the work they produce relative to their countries average. Globalization is inevitable with the digital age on the rise and the status quo that work one hundred years ago just doesn't work in the global economy. Of course it's motivated by greed but the trend was very visible as businesses will always look for the cheapest labor force available.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 18:26   Link #34
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I have some thoughts about this topic:

1) Nicknames exist for a reason, anonymity.

2) What is that about political careers, I'ld actually prefer someone who has an oppinion (and stated this somewhen) instead of a person who trims his sail to every wind that blows. Maybe this development is actually quite good and makes future politicians more honest (nothing to hide).

3) The internet does forget, otherwise it would reach its data storage limits within hours. New content replaces old content on a regular basis.

4) Social networking sites have their pros and cons. A positive thing is that you can stay connected without much effort (one does not even need to provide much content, just so that another person can reach you when needed). A negative thing is, that you make your information available to everyone.

5) An employer who scans social network site activities of employees is at the very least suspect. I would not really want to work for such an employer to begin with. Respect for privacy should be mutual, I am not going to espionage confidential information of my employer, so I can demand that privacy is respected.

6) In general the information about yourself is somewhat protected by the vast size of the internet. The whitenoise of data can not be fully data mined, since there is no data warehouse system capable of doing this. However social networking sites could be a lucrative target for datamining, because they concentrate personal informations.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 11:57   Link #35
Kaijo
Banned

I just have to post this picture that contains Facebook's privacy "snafus" heh.
Old 2010-08-28, 12:10   Link #36
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
5) An employer who scans social network site activities of employees is at the very least suspect. I would not really want to work for such an employer to begin with. Respect for privacy should be mutual, I am not going to espionage confidential information of my employer, so I can demand that privacy is respected.
Thank you for saying this.

A friend of mine was fairly recently fired from a job and the employer used methods such as these to obtain the reason/cause. Her place of business is a "smoke-free" building, and while she worked there, she respected that. She didn't smoke at work, didn't smoke on the clock and if she smoked on her breaks, she left the premises.

They fired her for smoking when not at work. Granted, I'm sure under normal economic circumstances, this would never happen, especially considering how conscientious she was about not smoking at work, but with the economy in the shitter, businesses are just looking for any reason to cut down the workforce.

Anyway, she fought it, but I don't think she actually won anything. It's pretty horrible when an employer can get away with doing something like this. I can understand if it were illegal drugs, or if she was constantly coming into work drunk or high, but she just smoked cigarettes, and not even that many--she smokes less than I do, and it usually takes me two or three days to kill a pack. And the company did not make it clear, in writing or otherwise, that they would terminate people for smoking even when not at work.

My own catastrophic-life-disruption occurred in a similar manner, since I was fired for catching the flu.
Old 2010-08-28, 12:19   Link #37
Unos Hambalos
Ham Ham

Send a message via MSN to Unos Hambalos
I try not to post something I don't want to be seen online. I do not really hide who I am online.
By that I mean, real life friends know my online nick.
However, there are times when I go out of hand. I find some things that I don't want other people to see. (Like I pirate stuff)

Well, I don't plan to be a politician or someone popular, but this still bother me sometimes.

sig by rikikai
Unos Hambalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 12:25   Link #38
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
My own catastrophic-life-disruption occurred in a similar manner, since I was fired for catching the flu.
Well I lost a part-time job for not properly declaring my previous history of mental illness (homicidal disorder, not a big issue anyway since I was DISCHARGED with no further follow-ups). But I let that go because my employer is a know nothing - the company went poof just before I entered the army.

I learnt one extremely important thing from that event that made me want to become self-employed : the only thing most companies are interested in is to get the most out with the least. The worst companies kept afloat by credit are those who played a numbers game in employment - otherwise why would they need so much credit to retrain and recruit workers to replace those they have sacked for no apparent reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Well employers actually do that for the sake of countering business espionage before the age of online social networking - the paranoia just got too big.

Over here, thank goodness we have something called the Privacy Act and a big axe wielded by the Ministry of Manpower - a employer can be brought to justice for intrusion of privacy if they presented the evidence without a PI's (which has to be certified in Singapore and nowhere else) report.

Old 2010-08-29, 12:47   Link #39
Kaijo
Banned

Another slip on the slope. The water gets turned up one more small degree, so that the frog doesn't notice:

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenber...t-roving-vans/

Do you know how safe X-ray exposure is? Will you allow this? Or only try to oppose it later on down the road when the technology gets better and is able to make out more detail of your body? "Well, you didn't fight it then, and this is just another small improvement to catch the terrorists and child pedophiles! Why do you support the terrorists?"

It's not quite as good as the airport scanners are, but technology marches inexorabily onwards. For those curious about the degree of airport scanner image technology, here's a simple Google image search. Quality varies, but you can bet it'll get better. (Warning: NSFW)
Old 2010-08-30, 02:36   Link #40
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Thank you for saying this.

A friend of mine was fairly recently fired from a job and the employer used methods such as these to obtain the reason/cause. Her place of business is a "smoke-free" building, and while she worked there, she respected that. She didn't smoke at work, didn't smoke on the clock and if she smoked on her breaks, she left the premises.

If an employer is desperate enough to use such means to get rid of their employees it often does not even make sense to go against such decissions in court.

Some employers here use a different tactic (with a similar result) that also tells you that you are not wanted any longer... moving the business unit every two years or so, if the distance is just large enough the employer will lose about 1/3rd of the employees each time the business unit moves to somewhere else.

In my oppinion it is no fun to work for a company well knowing that you are not wanted and always fearing that every day can be your last day you are employed. I'ld try to find something else as soon as possible under such conditions.

Now I know, this is not a good time to be picky about one's employment, since there is a shortage of jobs. But the bad times will be over some day. And when all the companies try to hire the staff they need when the economy is booming again I'ld know which employer is definitly not on my list.

Then again, what I've seen so far, in most cases it comes down to how easily you are replaceable in a company when it comes to fire people. If you have a lot of the knowhow that is essential for the company's core business you are almost always on the safe side. Still, privacy is more important to me.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote