AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 175
091 - 100: Amazing... 30 44.12%
081 - 090: Great... 15 22.06%
071 - 080: Very Good... 4 5.88%
061 - 070: Good... 4 5.88%
051 - 060: Average... 7 10.29%
041 - 050: Below Average... 1 1.47%
031 - 040: Bad... 0 0%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 0 0%
011 - 020: Awful... 2 2.94%
000 - 010: Sometimes you wonder why the animators even bother to show up to work... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-08-27, 13:13   Link #41
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Pretty much, this. I know it's full-on emotional and everything, but did they really have to go through aaaaall the flashbacks? Plus it got pretty ridiculous when they said:
-Jiraya sama is dead!
-OMG is Naruto ok?

I mean come on, Jiraya dies and the first thing they ask is if Naruto is ok!? At any rate, the episode did have its good points, gets a 70/100.
Uhhm. They have spend 200 episodes in total about Sasuke chasing Itachi.
Then they spend 50 episodes about Sasuke failing to kill Itachi in total.
And 5 episodes for him to finally realize that Itachi loved him.
And the next 300 episodes will be about his revenge of anyone who abused him, his family and especially Itachi.

Why doesnt the poor guy just end his own life?

Naruto has been hated all his life! One episode about him finaly being the hero, finally being loved, finally showing how the villagers thought of him through his progress/carreer as a ninja. 1 single episode.... come on... give Naruto a break.
Old 2010-08-27, 14:58   Link #42
JustRob

I liked that part, but they just didn't need the flashbacks. Especially from Ebisu point of view, who always thought of Naruto as a monsterfox. "Yea yea we all thought him a monster but now he's a hero n stuff." Yea right, like somebody can change feelings about a person so quickly.

Also note how Naruto neglects to talk to Hinata despite her declaring her love to him a few episodes before, and triggering his Kyuubi mode which pretty much won him the fight. Worse, Hinata is smiling as Sakura is hugging Naruto. Yea, I'm sure you don't mind other girls hugging the boy you love.
Old 2010-08-27, 15:41   Link #43
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Uhhm. They have spend 200 episodes in total about Sasuke chasing Itachi.
Then they spend 50 episodes about Sasuke failing to kill Itachi in total.
And 5 episodes for him to finally realize that Itachi loved him.
And the next 300 episodes will be about his revenge of anyone who abused him, his family and especially Itachi.

Why doesnt the poor guy just end his own life?
Well, Sasuke is more of a second protagonist, so having a background is crucial to his character and his development as one. I do agree that it shouldn't have come to that, but we can't really do anything about it, he got a 5L of haterade and good targets for it too.
Quote:
Naruto has been hated all his life! One episode about him finaly being the hero, finally being loved, finally showing how the villagers thought of him through his progress/carreer as a ninja. 1 single episode.... come on... give Naruto a break.
The whole-episode-is-naruto-comeback thing was somewhat frustrating, but they've done it before so it doesn't bug me that much. What I really just can't swallow is how the entire village is supposed to love him and have always supported him bit by bit, when they clearly hated his guts and were afraid of "that thing". It's not like he's spent that much time in the village after his graduation from the ninja academy (whatever time he got from the Zabuza arc and one month for the chuunin finals and that's about it), and the only time he finally had some peace, he went off to train with Jiraiya, so the villagers clearly don't know squat about him. The rest of my beef is manga-related so I'll stop here
Old 2010-08-27, 16:02   Link #44
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
The whole-episode-is-naruto-comeback thing was somewhat frustrating, but they've done it before so it doesn't bug me that much. What I really just can't swallow is how the entire village is supposed to love him and have always supported him bit by bit, when they clearly hated his guts and were afraid of "that thing". It's not like he's spent that much time in the village after his graduation from the ninja academy (whatever time he got from the Zabuza arc and one month for the chuunin finals and that's about it), and the only time he finally had some peace, he went off to train with Jiraiya, so the villagers clearly don't know squat about him. The rest of my beef is manga-related so I'll stop here
Nah nah Kafriel

It's more like (the way i interpreted it) little by little more and more people started to get worried about Naruto. Not just everyone. It was general talk by some then more and more. Come on... 70% of the village was dead when Naruto went on a rampage. They didn't know. The remaining 30% got overwhelmed since Naruto made sure everyone was revived.It went from Naruto-Kyuubi sucks to... hey Naruto isn't a bad ninja afterall. And then to how is Naruto doing? Finally... Thank you Naruto! (hero)

Let's be fair Kafriel. If we both have a fight... and by the hands of someone... a person dear to you dies...and miraculously i make sure that person gets revived.. you owe me for a life-time . I'd be you're best friend in one instant right? I suppose that's what happend in Konoha.
Old 2010-08-27, 17:08   Link #45
monster

Quote:
I mean come on, Jiraya dies and the first thing they ask is if Naruto is ok!?
Why not? It's often those you left behind who have to bear the burden of your death.

And besides, these sayings do not necessarily represent the actual conversations. They're more like snippets of those conversations that are relevant to the theme of the flashback: to show that the villagers actually cared about Naruto.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 19:10   Link #46
Uchiha Soul

Pretty emotional!! Konan

best part: Kakashi and his father, it was an incredibly amazing conversation.

and i knew it that there is no way to kill Kakashi at that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Bad ending, Naruto didn't even greet Hinata even though he thought she died.
and why the hell he should greet her?!!! i mean who the hell is she?!!!!!
he was in shock bcoz of the villagers reaction and you are saying greet Hinata!! remember that she is the one who in love not Naruto and if he should greet anyone he will absoultly go to Sakura (his love) .. but at that situation at that moment what the writer did is 100% right, he is not in a position allow him to think of Hinata or even Sakura, he was mentally shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_lee View Post
More importantly, who was the long brown haired ninja we see hugging another at the start when Pain resurrected everyone?
a ninja!!! a couple ninja.

Last edited by Uchiha Soul; 2010-09-01 at 17:40.
Uchiha Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 20:30   Link #47
Blackage

Quote:
This episode disappointed me so much. They combined chapters 426(Naruto & Konoha) & 428.

426 was a great chapter, because it showed why the villagers were so willing to give their lives to protect a comrade as well as show how the hearts of the villagers(Especially Ebisu) became to change when Naruto started taking on missions and defending the village.

Here it just seemed like it got brushed aside to make way for Konohamaru's fight, and the message of chapter 426 was totally lost.
I said this back in episode 161, I'm really happy they didn't forget about showing how the villagers opinion of Naruto changed. Just took them 14 episodes to do it!
Blackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 21:02   Link #48
Bombo
TSF Fans

It damn EPIC EPIC EPIC
srsly..I don't know happy for naruto or sad for konan she will live alone now ..
This episode really great.!!!!
10/10
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 22:21   Link #49
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post
It damn EPIC EPIC EPIC
srsly..I don't know happy for naruto or sad for konan she will live alone now ..
This episode really great.!!!!
10/10
It was good I wonder what will happen to Konan now.
Old 2010-08-28, 02:18   Link #50
Blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_lee View Post
More importantly, who was the long brown haired ninja we see hugging another at the start when Pain resurrected everyone?
Random ninja number 147 and 148 lol
Old 2010-08-28, 02:50   Link #51
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Let's be fair Kafriel. If we both have a fight... and by the hands of someone... a person dear to you dies...and miraculously i make sure that person gets revived.. you owe me for a life-time . I'd be you're best friend in one instant right? I suppose that's what happend in Konoha.
I wouldn't be your best friend in an instant, but yeah, you're right, I'd owe you big time
Old 2010-08-28, 10:15   Link #52
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Bad ending, Naruto didn't even greet Hinata even though he thought she died.
Naruto didn't greet anyone, really; He was just taken back to the village and the congregation started praising him...It wasn't like he was expecting this, and by the time he started to understand what was going on, the mob started tossing him in a mosh pit...

If anything, it should be that Hinata just stood there and greeted Naruto nay while even Sakura went up to hug Naruto...Unless Hinata realized that side characters really do have close brushes with death when they do anything, and that she's going into survivalist mode by just standing off in the background...Whatever, worked for her for the most part anyway... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
I don't see why this was such a good episode. So the village has been wrecked, Naruto went through a lot of pain.... Not! Thanks to the magical wonder of the Dragonballs plothax, everyone is once again alive and all the drama of them dieing means absolutely nothing.
Uhh, uhh...It meant a lot more than nothing, meaning everything to Naruto and even Nagato...

Nagato himself mentioned that Naruto's generation has never had the opportunity to experience the pain of war before...Naruto had to experience the pain that Nagato went through with the mass murder of over half of Konoha plus a few individuals close to Naruto; The only thing wrong with this scenario is that where Nagato was trying to make a point of pain, it backfired on him and gave Naruto the context to understand just what and where Jiraiya's dreams of peace came from, and gave Naruto and even bolstered intent to see to that goal...

Nagato, on the other hand, realized the grave mistake he made when Naruto's goal of peace was once Yahiko's dream and even Nagato's dream himself...Instead of chasing after that peace, utilizing his powers for good and being the prophesied pupil of Jiraiya that would bring a revolution of peace to the world, he abused his powers and became the one that would being a revolution of destruction to the world instead; He literally let his pain misguide him to bring more pain to the world instead of finding a way to end the pain...Jiraiya, after all, originally wrote his first novel with the main character inspired by Nagato, a long time before Naruto would come along after-the-fact and fit that very mold instead...At that point of realization, Nagato, with whatever chakra and life he had left in him, tried to make one last redemption before death by reviving everyone he killed in Konoha, so that as a fellow sibling pupil of Jiraiya, Naruto would carry on the chase for peace that Yahiko and Nagato once tried to obtain...

It may seem like a cheap way to kill a bunch of people off for dramatic effect since they ended up being revived in the end anyway...But it was a very befitting way to end Nagato's story and to move Naruto's story forward if you were to look at everything in context...

Speaking of context, I heard it through the grapevine that death rarely means anything in in Dragon Ballz, and yet, as far as anyone has kept a record on, this is the first time, with exception to Chiyo/Gaara, that anyone in the Naruto universe has been brought back to life like this...I think for the most part, Kishimoto has been good at keeping the dead, well, dead...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 10:48   Link #53
JustRob

Seems you forgot about Shodaime and Nidaime, who were revived by Orochimaru. They were certainly alive, and they were killed (sealed) by Sandaime.
Old 2010-08-28, 11:31   Link #54
neshru

Quote:
The whole-episode-is-naruto-comeback thing was somewhat frustrating, but they've done it before so it doesn't bug me that much. What I really just can't swallow is how the entire village is supposed to love him and have always supported him bit by bit, when they clearly hated his guts and were afraid of "that thing".
They haven't always been supporting him bit by bit, they started to acknowledge him more and more with every success of his.

Quote:
It's not like he's spent that much time in the village after his graduation from the ninja academy (whatever time he got from the Zabuza arc and one month for the chuunin finals and that's about it), and the only time he finally had some peace, he went off to train with Jiraiya, so the villagers clearly don't know squat about him. The rest of my beef is manga-related so I'll stop here
It doesn't matter how much time he's spent in the village or how much the villagers really know him, it's the word of his achievements (beating Zabusa, Neji and Gaara's monster, bringing back Tsunade, saving Gaara...) that made them change their opinion of him.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 12:30   Link #55
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Seems you forgot about Shodaime and Nidaime, who were revived by Orochimaru. They were certainly alive, and they were killed (sealed) by Sandaime.
That is, technically, a resurrection of the dead and I certainly have not forgot; I had that forethought in my head when I made my post...But I didn't count that in the scheme of revivals for the sole reason that Edo Tensei really doesn't have the best of intentions in it's use...Whereas Chiyo sacrificed her life force to bring Gaara back to life, and bad guy Nagato did the same sacrifice to revive everyone he had just killed in Konoha to redeem himself, well, Orochimaru revived two Hokages in order to kill one...Not really for the greater good...

And it's not like the First and Second were revived and then kept alive for the rest of the story, anyway...Relatively isolated, when you consider Gaara and Kakashi get a very extended second chance, and they get to keep their free will as a bonus...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2010-08-28, 12:35   Link #56
JustRob

Depends how you look at it, Gaara was never seen again after the first arc of Shippuuden.

Also, the intentions of the technique don't really matter, why do you think Nagato knew that mass ress technique anyways? Let's say Naruto wouldn't have convinced him, who would you think Nagato would use his resurrection technique for? That's right...
Old 2010-08-28, 12:40   Link #57
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

For some reason I expected the anime to have Hinata to run up and hug Naruto.

neshru probably knows more, but I heard the Iruka arc was three episodes and then there would be Kakashi filler. Sounds like there will be some filler for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
ShikaIno fans, looks like your chances are becoming smaller by each second
Well the anime isn't canon. And ShikaIno never gets fanservice in the anime because they are hardcore ShikaTema(and ShikaShiho) fans which is fine by me.
Old 2010-08-28, 13:05   Link #58
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Depends how you look at it, Gaara was never seen again after the first arc of Shippuuden.

Also, the intentions of the technique don't really matter, why do you think Nagato knew that mass ress technique anyways? Let's say Naruto wouldn't have convinced him, who would you think Nagato would use his resurrection technique for? That's right...
Just because Gaara's been MIA since the end of the first Shippuden arc doesn't mean he can't be presumed alive and still Kazekage...If you're talking about the assumption that characters can be dead just because they aren't seen plays along with the line of confirming your kills...

Either way, intents are everything, because the lovely thing about rhetorical situations is that virtually anything can happen...Intents are everything, or else Nagato wouldn't have gone from being the uber-bad guy to just anti-villain in the flick of a psychological switch...I can just as much bring up another rhetorical situation where Nagato doesn't change his psychological perception and Konoha is left burying people in mass graves...What then? If Nagato had control of the Outer Path, then why did he utilize Rinne Tensei at any time before the invasion of Konoha?

Resurrection intentions really wasn't my main point anyway, even if my post structure makes it seem that way; In all context, it makes a stark contrast, and even then, my main point is that, if we can step outside of the fourth wall for a moment, Kishimoto still re-wrote the re-deaths of the first two Hokage while sparing Gaara and Kakashi (Plus all others killed in Konoha) for further use in the story...My main point is that, while Kishimoto played on the popular "deus ex machina" trope hardcore style with Nagato and the revival of Konoha, it wasn't done for just dramatic effect, but it does have it's psychological merit on the story line...

I'm not worrying about what's going on in the Naruto universe; I'm watching a story unfold and I'm just sitting back and taking it in because it's just entertainment...What I'm worrying about is what direction Kishimoto takes the story of Naruto in, and despite cliches, I see validation in what transpired during this arc...If we really wanted crappy and half-assed writing, we would see none of the good guys dying, and people like the Third Hokage, Asuma, or Jiraiya would still be alive, but then the storyline may not have progressed...That's the discussion I'm trying to make...
Old 2010-08-28, 19:06   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I kind of wonder now how many will be revived next time. First they revive Gaara with 1 life for 1 life. Next they have Nagato sacrificing himself for quite a large number of people. What's next, reviving the world after some Armageddon ? Not that I don't mind Kakashi surviving, but just funny to see the mass revival being used.

Quote:
Pretty much, this. I know it's full-on emotional and everything, but did they really have to go through aaaaall the flashbacks? Plus it got pretty ridiculous when they said:
-Jiraya sama is dead!
-OMG is Naruto ok?

I mean come on, Jiraya dies and the first thing they ask is if Naruto is ok!? At any rate, the episode did have its good points, gets a 70/100.
Seriously did no one care that Jiraiya died ? Sure it was a Naruto focused series of flashbacks, but damn it was odd how they went from saying Jiraya is dead to worrying about Naruto . Poor guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
It was good I wonder what will happen to Konan now.
I suppose she'll go bury her friends and then take on the leadership role in her village. Though damn that's going to be a really hard job. They've been messed up with this Pain thing for so long that adjusting will be difficult. Not to mention there will probably be a lot of people against her since now they aren't living under fear of death. She has a difficult road ahead of her.
Old 2010-08-28, 21:33   Link #60
Jehuty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Seriously did no one care that Jiraiya died ? Sure it was a Naruto focused series of flashbacks, but damn it was odd how they went from saying Jiraya is dead to worrying about Naruto . Poor guy.
Everyone cared about Jiraiya's death - everyone knew he loved Tsunade (and Tsunade even came to terms with it right before he left to face Pein). There wasn't a ninja in Konoha that didn't refer to him as Jiraiya-sama. Politically if he wanted to do anything, he could easily sway them to his favor, and the people would follow, unquestioningly.

The thing is, they also probably knew how much Naruto loved Jiraiya, he was practically a greater father figure than Iruka or Kakashi could ever hope to be. Everyone knows when you die, you'll worry about those that person left behind more than anything - it's just one of life's Unwritten Laws.

Quote:
I suppose she'll go bury her friends and then take on the leadership role in her village. Though damn that's going to be a really hard job. They've been messed up with this Pain thing for so long that adjusting will be difficult. Not to mention there will probably be a lot of people against her since now they aren't living under fear of death. She has a difficult road ahead of her.
They feared Pein but they also knew he was their savior. They also regard Konan as something of an Angel, so I'm sure she'll have very little resistance to lead her village.

Tags
weekly episode discussion