AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-09-07, 12:47   Link #1
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

W7 freezes with active torrents and uploading to Youtube

So, this is a very weird problem I've had ever since I installed W7 Ultimate 64-bit some months ago.

Using any torrent software completely locks up the whole PC. No crasch and no BSoD. Just a complete freeze. Only thing I can do is a hard reboot.

I've tried Bittorrent, utorrent, Opera's internal torrent app and several other applications. It always freezes after a few seconds of traffic (it doesn't freeze just having the program on, the torrents need to be active). I've since then resorted to torrenting with my Netbook (also with W7, though 32-bit). No problems with that one.

Just recently the same problem appeared when I tried uploading to Youtube, which is extremely weird since it has worked fine before.

I've not done any significant change either, except switching out AVG with Microsoft's own security tools, as I was told that it might be the problem, which it wasn't. I've also shut off Aero as I was told it had something to do with it (Event Logs confirmed it did something, which hasn't appeared after I shut it off. Don't seem to be directly related though).

Direct download with Firefox works fine, both downloading and uploading. No problem with any other online software.

Event Logs show nothing at all, at least nothing that I can interpret. Only "Unexpected shutdown" and the like with no real information from googling on it.

The only cause I can now think about is that my motherboard or network drivers are borked, but neither can be updated since they are the latest version. (I forced-installed NON-compatible Vista 64-bit motherboard drivers after the W7 installation, for reasons beyond me. However, I can't find any fault there either as I can't repair or update them.)

Any theories?

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 13:16   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Are you using a nVidia Motherboard? If so, its more likely the nForce Network drivers since there are known problems on certain nForce motherboards having poorly made drivers. If so, disabling the internal Ethernet and installing a separate Ethernet adapter supported under Windows 7 may solve the problem.
Old 2010-09-07, 13:44   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Maybe a messed up IP stack. Then again you can download other stuff without problems. Maybe a driver causes an Interupt03 in kernel mode (that can happen if data is mistakenly executed).

Torrenting uses many (half)open connections, but Youtube upload... should be just one http (port 80) upload connection. So, the connection count can be ruled out. Another thing is package length (MTU). However, I am completely clueless how to set this in Windows 7 (should be limited before it reaches the IP stack/driver... so one time at the modem and another time in the upper layers of the Windows TCP/IP protocol... 1400 is below the standard of 1456 and should be save). But it is only a wild guess. And I bet the real cause of the trouble is something completely different. But at the moment I have no better advice.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 13:50   Link #4
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Are you using a nVidia Motherboard? If so, its more likely the nForce Network drivers since there are known problems on certain nForce motherboards having poorly made drivers. If so, disabling the internal Ethernet and installing a separate Ethernet adapter supported under Windows 7 may solve the problem.
I'm using an ASUS P5K motherboard, but it could be something to investigate regardless.

EDIT: Now that you mentioned this I did a quick google on "W7 freezes Atheros" (Atheros L1 Gigabit being my internal ethernet), which seems to yield some results.

Old 2010-09-08, 05:43   Link #5
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
EDIT: Now that you mentioned this I did a quick google on "W7 freezes Atheros" (Atheros L1 Gigabit being my internal ethernet), which seems to yield some results.
Don't you mean attansic L1 since that is what is shown in the LAN drivers section on the asus website.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-08, 07:40   Link #6
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Don't you mean attansic L1 since that is what is shown in the LAN drivers section on the asus website.
Negative. Full name is Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller as it shows up in Device manager.

Old 2010-09-08, 13:14   Link #7
TCman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Negative. Full name is Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller as it shows up in Device manager.
Hi,

Asus doesn't often update the drivers for their old products, while the drivers of these products have already updated. You can download the latest Windows 7 32/64 bit driver for the Atheros L1 here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm

Choose version 2.4.7.29 (32/64) under Windows Seven 32/64bits, Atheros L1 Gigabyt Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-T Controller (L1) (Drivers).

Uninstall the current lan driver, install the Windows 7 driver for the onboard lan and see if the freezes are gone.

Hope this works for you,

Good luck!
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-08, 13:32   Link #8
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

^ Thanks for that link. Will try this tomorrow and see how it works.