AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-11-08, 22:11   Link #621
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I think Haruna's fine as she is. I do agree that she needs more things that define her character [Although I don't think Yui is exempt from that either. In fact, Haruna's dog counts more towards than than Yui's love of cats.], but her plainness is endearing for me. It's somewhat refreshing to see someone who doesn't react exaggeratedly to everything, and the fact that she does it in a cute way makes me like her as a character. She helps slow down TLR's fast pace, so I like the chapters she's in.
As a Haruna's fan I agree 100% with you on this...well said!!
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 16:13   Link #622
Flower
The Snow White Undine....

You know, after thinking about this I am not so sure Haruna would be the best representative of normalcy in the circle around Rito - especially with her "berserk mode" when confronted by the supernatural. Not to say that I would disagree in general with others - I think she will indeed become the biggest obstacle for Rito....

However, I would think Rito's sister would be the best representative of "normalcy".
Old 2010-11-12, 16:15   Link #623
Used Can

Normalcy doesn't mean you've got to be boring though. Look at Ayumu from Hng, or Nami from SZS, or even Rihoko from Amagami. They are the "normal" characters in the series they are in, and by no means they are boring.
Old 2010-11-12, 16:24   Link #624
Flower
The Snow White Undine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Normalcy doesn't mean you've got to be boring though. Look at Ayumu from Hng, or Nami from SZS, or even Rihoko from Amagami. They are the "normal" characters in the series they are in, and by no means they are boring.
Sure enough ... I wouldn't say Mikan was boring. In fact - Mikan is one of my fave characters in the series ... perhaps partly for her normalcy and her ability thereby to help "humanize" Yami....

Again though - who knows? Perhaps Haruna will blossom into her own over the course of the story? As Ocean Blue mentioned above, she needs more things to define her character.

At the moment though, based on the original TLR series at least, I agree - kind of uninteresting. Not horrible, just kinda "meh"....
Old 2010-11-12, 16:31   Link #625
wingman32x

Quote:
Haruna is boring, though IMO. I mean, what makes her character interesting? I can't remember anything about her except that she's a dog lover. And it hurts her character when she's been limited to cameo-esque apperances for the last hundred or so chapters.

I think that Yui and Mikan are more interesting as normal characters. Yui has that hardcore denial going on, and Mikan has that motherly aspect to her and a slight brocon.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 17:48   Link #626
Zoofranz

Yui is not a "normal" character in the way you mean. She has the plus she's a tsundere.
Zoofranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 18:20   Link #627
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoofranz View Post
Yui is not a "normal" character in the way you mean. She has the plus she's a tsundere.
I meant in terms of human characters. Yui's background and school life scream normal. She's very normal for TLR.

Even if she doesn't count, I still like Mikan much more than Haruna. Haruna did absolutely nothing for me in the first series. And with several much more interesting characters(IMO), she slipped right into the background for me.
Old 2010-11-12, 18:40   Link #628
Zoofranz

Well, in terms of actions she made Valentine chocolate for Rito twice and confessed her feelings towards Rito to Lala (Considering her shyness that's a great achievement for her), however these didn't have a big impact on the story.

I've always thought that after her confession and the chapter where she and Nana try to make their breasts bigger, she was going to start making some good advance but then the manga had to end.

Anyway, I don't like her for being the most "plot developer" character, because evidently she's not. As I said some time ago (And agreeing with what Ocean Blue said), in addition of the fact she's extremely cute, I like the contrast she makes with the other girls. If all or most of them where that normal, then she would be boring.

Last edited by Zoofranz; 2010-11-12 at 21:49.
Old 2010-11-12, 21:14   Link #629
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Honestly, I don't find Haruna boring at all, but...
Ayumu has the virtue of being in a gag comedy. She makes just as many jokes as the rest of the cast and can stay in character, and can even participate in breaking the 4th wall or having her normalcy made fun of because she's in a gag manga. Also, she has her conflict and friendship with Hinagiku, which helps add more to her character.

Rihoko is interesting because she was placed as the protagonist [which was a very good idea]. You get more of her internal dialogue that way. If the arc were focused on Junichi like normal, Rihoko would be nothing but, "I need a diet, but I like eating". Even if she did start off liking Junichi, it wouldn't be mentioned until the end.

But yeah, Haruna needs scenes where she's able to show more of her personality. I mean, look what more exposure did to Momo. Haruna just needs to be able to show different emotions, and then she'll appear as a more well-rounded character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Haruna is boring, though IMO. I mean, what makes her character interesting? I can't remember anything about her except that she's a dog lover. And it hurts her character when she's been limited to cameo-esque apperances for the last hundred or so chapters.

I think that Yui and Mikan are more interesting as normal characters. Yui has that hardcore denial going on, and Mikan has that motherly aspect to her and a slight brocon.
Honestly, that's why I don't like Yui. That's all she does. Her life seems to revolve around Rito.

In my opinion, a big problem with the characters in this manga is that they've become too one-dimensional. Lala in the beginning and Haruna when she was struggling with her feelings for Rito and her friendship with Lala were interesting to me because they had different aspects to their characters. Now, Lala's just the bubbly, quirky girl and Haruna's just the quiet, shy girl. They don't go beyond that.

For me, Mikan had her friendship with Yami, and the fact that she considers Rito in more ways than just love helps keep her interesting. Momo has that too, since she has more to think about than just being in love with Rito, which allows interaction that is more than just random hijinks or teasing.

Now that I think about it, this should help Rito as well, since he'll have to step up with Yami and with Momo. It'll help him do more than just stutter and fall.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 06:18   Link #630
Used Can

Quote:
But yeah, Haruna needs scenes where she's able to show more of her personality.
What are you expecting though? Personally, I think we've seen enough of her yo know her personality. She's the sort of shy and polite girl who is good housewife material.

Quote:
I mean, look what more exposure did to Momo. Haruna just needs to be able to show different emotions, and then she'll appear as a more well-rounded character.
We only needed one chapter to see what Momo truly was like. It's not an issue of exposure, but an issue of character traits.
Old 2010-11-13, 09:41   Link #631
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
We only needed one chapter to see what Momo truly was like. It's not an issue of exposure, but an issue of character traits.
Excatly. Momo has a personality and thats the reason why one chapter is enough to show her. While for such plain and boring characters like Haruna even the whole century is not enough.

She is just shy and plain. Thats all that she is. Her personality is very generic. She is just 'normal' and not interesting enough yo keep the focus just by herself. Good housewife material, but totally boring and uneventful as a main female lead.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 10:07   Link #632
Johnny
Working the bags...

Haruna was good for To Love-ru as an offset to LaLa's erratic behaviour. In this one though with Momo, she has both sides so Haruna is not really needed other then her spot in Rito's harem...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 10:25   Link #633
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Excatly. Momo has a personality and thats the reason why one chapter is enough to show her. While for such plain and boring characters like Haruna even the whole century is not enough.

She is just shy and plain. Thats all that she is. Her personality is very generic. She is just 'normal' and not interesting enough yo keep the focus just by herself. Good housewife material, but totally boring and uneventful as a main female lead.
I agree. Characters like these usually have very devoted fans though. Some people eat this stuff up. For example, just TRY and tell Hinata(Naruto) fans that you don't like her. They'll snap your freakin head off on OM, not sure about here though. Same thing with Aya fans in Ichigo.

There's something about the shy/timid characters that a lot of people love. I personally think the opposite, but people falling for the shy girl is a common thing to me.
Old 2010-11-13, 10:58   Link #634
Xagzan

There's no reason Yabuki couldn't give Haruna some more interesting personality quirks though. The type you'd never expect a shy girl like her to have. That could easily make her a more interesting character.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 11:39   Link #635
Used Can

Yes, he can, any time he wants. However, after 165 chapters, he's yet to do anything like that. That, and Haruna was one of the main characters during the first 163 chapters.
Old 2010-11-13, 16:39   Link #636
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
What are you expecting though? Personally, I think we've seen enough of her yo know her personality. She's the sort of shy and polite girl who is good housewife material.

Just because you can categorize her personality doesn't mean she can't show any sort of depth. The lack of depth in their personality traits is something all the characters have: Yui's a tsundere, Mikan's the sarcastic yet supportive sister, Yami doesn't really have a personality yet, etc.

As for what I'm expecting... honestly, the problem is that I don't really have a problem with the way Haruna's been portrayed so far. She could use some chapters where she spends some time with her friends or Rito without having to become all embarrassed about liking him. She has some good chapters scattered throughout the manga. Basically, she just needs scenes where she can do something other than be embarrassed or be there.

A good example is when Mikan got sick. The way she interacts with Rito is somewhat different because of the circumstances. I guess a good example for Haruna would be the sports festival, when she interacts with her sister, and when she's about to tell Lala how she feels about Rito. She shows a variety of emotions during these scenes that show character depth.

Quote:

Such strong opinions... I don't even know if you realize that the same occurs with most of the characters, such as fan-favorites like Yui. She's had 2/3 of the manga run to show personality, but all she does is yell and become embarrassed. What do you consider a personality?

Quote:
Yes, he can, any time he wants. However, after 165 chapters, he's yet to do anything like that. That, and Haruna was one of the main characters during the first 163 chapters.
I'm surprised that you guys think that personality quirks make a character interesting. Adding quirky traits to make a character interesting is a gimmicky writing technique that works sometimes, but can come off as awkward and forced.

Honestly, this is difficult for me, since I don't understand what you guys mean. Haruna's a nice character for me, so it doesn't make sense to me that she's boring because she's shy and quiet. Her emotions are more subtle than the other characters', and that's not a bad thing to me.
Old 2010-11-13, 17:32   Link #637
wingman32x

My complaints about shy characters extend far past Haruna. I hate that archetype. I find that type of character boring and uninteresting. So this isn't some personal grudge against Haruna by any means. They're simply not attractive as a manga character IMO. That's why I never understand when a shy girl has a large and passionate fanbase. I can't understand because I can't see the appeal of shy characters.

So my complaints aren't Haruna specific. I just don't like her type of character.
Old 2010-11-13, 18:33   Link #638
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Such strong opinions... I don't even know if you realize that the same occurs with most of the characters, such as fan-favorites like Yui. She's had 2/3 of the manga run to show personality, but all she does is yell and become embarrassed. What do you consider a personality?
A personality trait that makes the character stand out of the others in a sense of strength (not physical one), leaves impact on the story and can drive the story by itself.

Something that I have seen Yui doing and something that I haven't seen Haruka doing at all. Haruka always needs a supporting cast while on the other hand there were chapters where Yui was the central point without others involved much just focusing on her emotions and tsundereness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
My complaints about shy characters extend far past Haruna. I hate that archetype. I find that type of character boring and uninteresting. So this isn't some personal grudge against Haruna by any means. They're simply not attractive as a manga character IMO. That's why I never understand when a shy girl has a large and passionate fanbase. I can't understand because I can't see the appeal of shy characters.

So my complaints aren't Haruna specific. I just don't like her type of character.
Yeah I too am not thrilled about this archetype. Now in real life such girls are fine really, but in manga unless you have a plot taking over the characters or a very strong supporting cast such characters as the central point will push the manga to the dead end because they just cannot drag the plot after themselves as their personality features are just too weak for that.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 19:15   Link #639
Zoofranz

Quote:
Something that I have seen Yui doing and something that I haven't seen Haruka doing at all. Haruka always needs a supporting cast while on the other hand there were chapters where Yui was the central point without others involved much just focusing on her emotions and tsundereness.
If we leave apart the chapters where Yui was just used for fanservice (having a panel of her saying somethink like "I don't know why but I'm thinking of Rito" stops being character development when she repeats that every single chapter where she appears), the only thing she has done has been giving the chocolate to him, and she needed her brother supporting to finally give the chocolate to Rito.

I like Yui but I think her character didn't have the situations she deserved, and the same thing happened to Haruna.
Old 2010-11-13, 19:20   Link #640
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
A personality trait that makes the character stand out of the others in a sense of strength (not physical one), leaves impact on the story and can drive the story by itself.

So, in your opinion, only characters with strong emotions or traits have personality? Then, obviously, we can't have a discussion about personality traits, since I don't agree with your definition. There have been plenty of chapters where Haruna has been the main focus without any other characters involved. In fact, you could argue that Yui wouldn't have a personality without Rito, but Haruna would.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2010-11-13 at 19:33.

Tags
ecchi, harem, manga, milf, nudity, romance, sci-fi, shounen