AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-03, 02:42   Link #1
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Looking for great shows of the last year

I've watched a lot of anime in the past, but I've vanished last year or so for various reasons. I'm looking to get back in the groove, so I'd love any suggestions on the great shows that have come out in the last year. A short description of why they're so good would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps any, here's a list of my favorite shows:
  1. Twelve Kingdoms
  2. Azumanga Daioh
  3. Fullmoon wo Sagashite
  4. SDF Macross
  5. Revolutionary Girl Utena
  6. Macross Frontier
  7. Maria-sama ga Miteru
  8. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
  9. My~Hime
  10. Gunbuster
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 03:06   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
I'll just recommend stuff from 20009 on...

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - a good remake of the original manga, I'm still taking my time watching it. the manga storyline is way better than the original anime's
Aoi Hana - great yuri anime
Working!! - a bit uneven, but great when it was great
Arakawa Under the Bridge - not the best show ever, but funny and an episode a week was nice

That past year hasn't really been that great anime-wise imho, unfortunately.

Nice to see Twelve Kingdoms at the top of your list; that's where it is on mine as well ^^
jedinat is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 05:21   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Well specifically for anime that started in 2009 and 2010:

Cross Game
Aoi Hana
Tatami Galaxy
Eden of the East
Summer Wars
Spice and Wolf Season 2
MeoTwister5 is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 06:11   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
It's good to see you back 4Tran.

Kimi ni Todoke - Personally one of my favorite shoujo titles, with such a surperb adaptation by Projuction IG. Not sure if this will be your kind of show, tho
Cross Game - Without a doubt the best show of the past year. Solid romance, with A+ story telling.
Aoi Hana - A beautiful yuri tale. I recommend reading the manga after you've done with.
Summer Wars - One of the best films in recent memory. It's a Hosoda Manoru treat.
Bakemonogatari - One of the most popular shows from last year here on AS, and really does have the content to back it's self up. A great treat of a series.

& i should recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood as well, for reasons jedinat mentioned.
__________________

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-09-03 at 06:30.
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 06:16   Link #5
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
For me, only two anime are worth in the long run these last years. Tatami Galaxy and FMA Brotherhood. All the rest are passable or not memorable in the longrun.
roriconfan is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 07:41   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
I'll toss House of Five Leaves into the list. As an older viewer, I liked it more than its Noitamina companion, Tatami Galaxy. Another worthwhile recent show from that series is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0; I don't know whether you stopped watching before that was released.

Frankly I've been pretty unimpressed with what has been produced in the past year or so. Most everything I might recommend has already been suggested, so I'll give endorsements to Cross Game and Summer Wars. Bakemonogatari is visually interesting, but I didn't find it compelling enough to watch it to its conclusion.

One other series you might enjoy is Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, based on another light novel by the author of Moribito. It may look like a kids' show, but when you get to episode six or so, you'll see that there's a lot more going on in this story. Though it's available on Crunchyroll, I'd recommend watching the excellent subs by Static.

By the way, given that you place Azumanga Daioh so high on your list, have you ever watched any of Hidamari Sketch? It's not quite so goofy as AD can be, but it does bring a smile to your face and warmth to your heart. The SHAFT/Shinbo stylings don't dominate the landscape in this show the way they can in some of their other productions.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 11:47   Link #7
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's good to see you back 4Tran.
Thanks. I'm not sure how much I'll be posting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Various
Aoi Hana - great yuri anime

Cross Game
Aoi Hana
Summer Wars
Eden of the East
Spice and Wolf Season 2


Kimi ni Todoke - Personally one of my favorite shoujo titles, with such a surperb adaptation by Projuction IG. Not sure if this will be your kind of show, tho
Cross Game - Without a doubt the best show of the past year. Solid romance, with A+ story telling.
Aoi Hana - A beautiful yuri tale. I recommend reading the manga after you've done with.

Another worthwhile recent show from that series is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0; I don't know whether you stopped watching before that was released.

One other series you might enjoy is Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, based on another light novel by the author of Moribito. It may look like a kids' show, but when you get to episode six or so, you'll see that there's a lot more going on in this story. Though it's available on Crunchyroll, I'd recommend watching the excellent subs by Static.
These are all good suggestions, and I've either watched them in part or in entirety. The exception is Summer Wars, and I'll be watching that right after I finish my Kon Satoshi marathon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Various
Arakawa Under the Bridge - not the best show ever, but funny and an episode a week was nice

Bakemonogatari - One of the most popular shows from last year here on AS, and really does have the content to back it's self up. A great treat of a series.

By the way, given that you place Azumanga Daioh so high on your list, have you ever watched any of Hidamari Sketch? It's not quite so goofy as AD can be, but it does bring a smile to your face and warmth to your heart. The SHAFT/Shinbo stylings don't dominate the landscape in this show the way they can in some of their other productions.
I'm afraid that SHAFT and I don't get along any more. The first Hidamari Sketch series was the last SHAFT show that I didn't have much reservation for, and I think that I've had my fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I'll just recommend stuff from 20009 on...

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - a good remake of the original manga, I'm still taking my time watching it. the manga storyline is way better than the original anime's
I've heard some good things about this show. I've watched about halfway through the first series, and I dropped it because I didn't find the characters engaging enough. Is Brotherhood still recommended under such circumstances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Working!! - a bit uneven, but great when it was great
Is the main draw for this show comedy, character interaction/dialogue, plot or drama? And of those, what is it that makes Working!! so appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well specifically for anime that started in 2009 and 2010:

Tatami Galaxy
I'm interested. Can you tell me more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'll toss House of Five Leaves into the list. As an older viewer, I liked it more than its Noitamina companion, Tatami Galaxy.
What are its best qualities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
For me, only two anime are worth in the long run these last years. Tatami Galaxy and FMA Brotherhood. All the rest are passable or not memorable in the longrun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Frankly I've been pretty unimpressed with what has been produced in the past year or so.
That's too bad. It's especially sad that there seem to be so very few shows that started in 2010. Well, thanks for all the suggestions!
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 11:52   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Let's just say for the most part Tatami Galaxy defies most descriptions, but here's the basic.

It's about a guy who enters college and seeks out his vision of the "Rose Colored" campus life, and decides to do so by entering different clubs and circles trying to achieve this abstract goal. When issues with his plans come about... well let's just say there's a bit of cosmic resets thrown in the mix.

A generic premise of sorts, probably, but the execution and the sheer depth of the show sets it very, very far apart from its contemporaries.
MeoTwister5 is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 11:57   Link #9
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I too would have to second Tatami Galaxy. It's brilliant. I also recommend Durarara!! (in my sig) and Katanagatari.

[edit]

Oh for f...-

Alright fine:

Durarara!! - It's charm is in it's large cast of unique and quirky characters.
Katanagatari - It plays around with the tropes present in a lot of shonen/adventure anime. Nice romance, interesting characters and great art.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2010-09-03 at 12:53.
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 12:42   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
You know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
A short description of why they're so good would be greatly appreciated.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 14:28   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
As for House of Five Leaves, I'd recommend Carl Kimlinger's review over at ANN. Other that failing to praise the excellent voice acting, he makes a good case for the show.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 16:22   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
DRRR!! is the best recent show period, though the ending was considerably less awesome than it should have been.

If you watched/liked Baccano! you'll really get into it.

Things have really been pretty disappointing recently. I dropped both K-ON!! and Angel Beats! because they bored me.

Edit: The other recent gem was the four-episode Darker Than Black interquel. It was absolutely amazing, easily several notches above Gemini of the Meteor and I think it was actually better than the much-praised first season. (And I even like DtB season two... even if a lot of other folks hate it).
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 19:28   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I have to say Cross Game is, without doubt, the best anime of the last year for me - see link for my reasons. Second place would go to House of Five Leaves - just a gorgeous, detailed character study with incredible production values.

Honorable mention to a couple of underappreciated comedies, Seitkai no Ichizon and Mitsudomoe, the latter still airing.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2010-09-03, 22:15   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

I've heard some good things about this show. I've watched about halfway through the first series, and I dropped it because I didn't find the characters engaging enough. Is Brotherhood still recommended under such circumstances?
Well I don't know, I thought that Brotherhood was better than the first season, but it developed more slowly.

Still I gave the first season nine out of ten, and Brotherhood ten out of ten, and there are not many shows that I give that high of grades too. (My other "tens" are Maison Ikkoku, Starblazers (nostalgia might be part of that), Crest of the Stars, and Cross Game.)

Try watching until the Mustang versus Lust fight (around 25 episodes I think). If you're not interested after that, let it go.

PS: Did you like Neon Genesis Evangelion? Brotherhood had some Eva references in the final climax...
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline  
Old 2010-09-04, 03:18   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
PS: Did you like Neon Genesis Evangelion? Brotherhood had some Eva references in the final climax...
It's hardly a reference. Just similarities.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2010-09-04, 12:38   Link #16
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Another recommendation for Cross Game. IMHO it is, bar none, the best last year has to offer.
Proto is online now  
Old 2010-09-06, 14:42   Link #17
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Let's just say for the most part Tatami Galaxy defies most descriptions, but here's the basic.

It's about a guy who enters college and seeks out his vision of the "Rose Colored" campus life, and decides to do so by entering different clubs and circles trying to achieve this abstract goal. When issues with his plans come about... well let's just say there's a bit of cosmic resets thrown in the mix.

A generic premise of sorts, probably, but the execution and the sheer depth of the show sets it very, very far apart from its contemporaries.
In what way does the depth of Tatami Galaxy stand out? Is it a depth in the plot or character, or is it some extremely involved science fictional universe (ala Noein)? Truthfully, I'm a lot more interested in this than in the uniqueness of the premise. Heck, I just watched Kon's Millennium Actress, and that film is ridiculously awesome and rich despite the ordinariness of its own premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Durarara!! - It's charm is in it's large cast of unique and quirky characters.
I've yet to watch Baccano, so I'll put that first. Durarara!! does seem like a promising show though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Katanagatari - It plays around with the tropes present in a lot of shonen/adventure anime. Nice romance, interesting characters and great art.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll pass. Tropes don't do anything for me, and I wasn't exactly thrilled with what I saw of Bakemonogatari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As for House of Five Leaves, I'd recommend Carl Kimlinger's review over at ANN. Other that failing to praise the excellent voice acting, he makes a good case for the show.
How much is the draw of House of Five Leaves like that of Ristorante Paradiso? That review claims that there are comparisons, but there don't seem to be any similarities in the summary of the plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Edit: The other recent gem was the four-episode Darker Than Black interquel. It was absolutely amazing, easily several notches above Gemini of the Meteor and I think it was actually better than the much-praised first season. (And I even like DtB season two... even if a lot of other folks hate it).
I guess I'll have to go watch Darker than Black first .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Try watching until the Mustang versus Lust fight (around 25 episodes I think). If you're not interested after that, let it go.

PS: Did you like Neon Genesis Evangelion? Brotherhood had some Eva references in the final climax...
Actually, I don't watch anime for the fight scenes and what I liked about Evangelion wouldn't translate to references anyways. I guess I'm more curious about whether Brotherhood's characterization is better than the orginal anime's.


And for anyone who really liked Cross Game, does the show get a lot better after the halfway mark? I did manage to watch up until Akane showed up, and it seemed good enough, but hardly spectacular.

So far my list is:

Finish Watching
Cross Game
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin

Will Watch
Summer Wars
Baccano
Darker than Black

Tentative
Tatami Galaxy
House of Five Leaves
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Need more info
Working!!
Mitsudomoe
Seitkai no Ichizon

For the last three, I'm mostly curious about the style of humor they use. I may love Studio Deen, but Seitkai no Ichizon really, really, really doesn't look like my kind of show.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2010-09-06, 14:46   Link #18
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
In And for anyone who really liked Cross Game, does the show get a lot better after the halfway mark? I did manage to watch up until Akane showed up, and it seemed good enough, but hardly spectacular.
I'd say the quality is pretty consistent all throughout. If you don't think it's anything spectacular then chances are you won't later on.

I don't really know much about the comedy but I'd say most of the comedy in Working! relies on running gags of quirky characters in different situations coupled with good character interactions to keep us interested. I really liked Working! so I second the recommendation.

Summer Wars and Baccano! are definitely great choices.
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-09-06, 16:19   Link #19
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

Actually, I don't watch anime for the fight scenes and what I liked about Evangelion wouldn't translate to references anyways. I guess I'm more curious about whether Brotherhood's characterization is better than the orginal anime's.

Need more info
Working!!
Mitsudomoe
Seitkai no Ichizon
.
I wasn't suggesting you watch till the Mustang vs Lust fight scene for the fight (although it is awesome), but rather because the character development for Mustang that happens by that point will give you a good idea of the difference between the old anime and the manga based one in how they handle characterization.

Personally I thought that the first anime developed the characters faster and earlier, but that the manga based one developed them more fully and satisfactory.

As for the type of humor:

Mitsudomoe: Irreverent and age inappropriate material mishandled by 6th graders combined with some slapstick and humiliations of grade school society. Not my type of material... but it's executed so very well I end up laughing anyway. I see it as a guilty pleasure.

Seitkai no Ichizon: Parodies, shout-out, as references with some fanservice thrown in. Not bad, but not great either. Although the Yandere blog posting was rather funny.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline  
Old 2010-09-06, 19:57   Link #20
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

Finish Watching
Cross Game
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin

Will Watch
Summer Wars
Baccano
Darker than Black

Tentative
Tatami Galaxy
House of Five Leaves
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Need more info
Working!!
Mitsudomoe
Seitkai no Ichizon

For the last three, I'm mostly curious about the style of humor they use. I may love Studio Deen, but Seitkai no Ichizon really, really, really doesn't look like my kind of show.
First of all, I really think the last 3 shows you listed are not worth your time. The humor of Seitkai no Ichizon is redundant, and gets stale after 2-3 episodes.

Now, I hope you could describe more about what you did not like more about the original FMA so i could help you decide if Brotherhood is worth your time. But regardless, Brotherhood is superior in every aspect to the original FMA (Except perhaps the very beginning).

Tatami Galaxy is definitely one of the best shows to come out recently though. The only thing I'll say about this show is that you really have to see it to understand it. Descriptions do not do it justice.

House of Five Leaves is one of the more refreshing series to come out recently. It has a very unique style and flow, and is one of the only shows I've seen in recent times that really gives true character development (And not just through flashbacks!). It is a character driven story point blank though.

Darker than Black is a good show, but it really suffers in its season endings (Both 1st and 2nd, but especially the 2nd). I was one of the fans that was in utter disgust for a lot of season 2 actually.

Now, I must interject a show that was airing at the end of 2009, and that is Aoi Bungaku or Blue Literature. It has several arcs, that focus on adaption of actual Japanese novels. It was one of the few redeeming shows of 2009 for me. In particular, I found the No Longer Human chapter truly great.

Baccano! and Summer Wars are also good titles.
Reckoner is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.