AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-06, 20:08   Link #21
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

How about Eve no Jikan : Gekijouban ? (Well the "complete" movie's recently out, so I'll recommend this instead the OAV)
I'm not good with describing, the premise is maybe something like I'm robots with slice of life n Studio Kara goodness.

Definitely one of finest works on recent years.
Old 2010-09-07, 05:17   Link #22
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As was mentioned, Tatami Galaxy is hard to describe because it's an amalgamation of so many different elements because it again attempts to reflect one man's attempt to find his place in the diversities of college life.

But if anything stands out about it, it would be the characterization, intellectual depth and the narrative styles. It actually has some stylistic similarities with Kon Satoshi's work.
Old 2010-09-07, 08:54   Link #23
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'd say the quality is pretty consistent all throughout. If you don't think it's anything spectacular then chances are you won't later on.

I don't really know much about the comedy but I'd say most of the comedy in Working! relies on running gags of quirky characters in different situations coupled with good character interactions to keep us interested. I really liked Working! so I second the recommendation.
I see. I guess I'll pick up Working as well if it doesn't have much romance in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I wasn't suggesting you watch till the Mustang vs Lust fight scene for the fight (although it is awesome), but rather because the character development for Mustang that happens by that point will give you a good idea of the difference between the old anime and the manga based one in how they handle characterization.

Personally I thought that the first anime developed the characters faster and earlier, but that the manga based one developed them more fully and satisfactory.
[QUOTE=Reckoner;3232236]Now, I hope you could describe more about what you did not like more about the original FMA so i could help you decide if Brotherhood is worth your time. But regardless, Brotherhood is superior in every aspect to the original FMA (Except perhaps the very beginning).
It's less a matter of not liking the original Fullmetal Alchemist as much as it is a matter of my not liking Shounen Fighting anime much in general (Bleach, Naruto, etc.). I keep trying them out, but I tend to lose interest in them after a while. In the case of FMA, I got past the halfway mark, and the only character that did much for me was Alphonse, so I decided to give the show a rest. It didn't help that the story at the time focused on the Elrics' teacher and Wrath, and I've always disliked that kind of plot. I imagine that Brotherhood wouldn't have the latter, but does it do any better on the character front?

Quote:
Mitsudomoe: Irreverent and age inappropriate material mishandled by 6th graders combined with some slapstick and humiliations of grade school society. Not my type of material... but it's executed so very well I end up laughing anyway. I see it as a guilty pleasure.
Is it just me or does that sound just like Kyou no Go no Ni?

Quote:
Seitkai no Ichizon: Parodies, shout-out, as references with some fanservice thrown in. Not bad, but not great either. Although the Yandere blog posting was rather funny.
Thanks. I think I'll give this one a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
House of Five Leaves is one of the more refreshing series to come out recently. It has a very unique style and flow, and is one of the only shows I've seen in recent times that really gives true character development (And not just through flashbacks!). It is a character driven story point blank though.
Is that character development in the sense of characters growing over time or is it in the sense of characters being defined very well (ala Risorante Paradiso)? Also, is philosophy/morality discussed much?

Quote:
Now, I must interject a show that was airing at the end of 2009, and that is Aoi Bungaku or Blue Literature. It has several arcs, that focus on adaption of actual Japanese novels. It was one of the few redeeming shows of 2009 for me. In particular, I found the No Longer Human chapter truly great.
Thanks. I'll have to look at that in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
How about Eve no Jikan : Gekijouban ? (Well the "complete" movie's recently out, so I'll recommend this instead the OAV)
I'm not good with describing, the premise is maybe something like I'm robots with slice of life n Studio Kara goodness.

Definitely one of finest works on recent years.
I've heard that that OVA/film uses Asimov's Three Laws, so it's pretty much an automatic watch for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
As was mentioned, Tatami Galaxy is hard to describe because it's an amalgamation of so many different elements because it again attempts to reflect one man's attempt to find his place in the diversities of college life.

But if anything stands out about it, it would be the characterization, intellectual depth and the narrative styles. It actually has some stylistic similarities with Kon Satoshi's work.
And that's probably the greatest recommendation right there. I've just wrapped up my Kon marathon, and I'm certain now that he's the second-best anime director. By the way, for anyone interested, there's a Kon Satoshi retrospective up on ANN. Today, they're on Perfect Blue.
Old 2010-09-07, 10:44   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Now, I must interject a show that was airing at the end of 2009, and that is Aoi Bungaku or Blue Literature. It has several arcs, that focus on adaption of actual Japanese novels. It was one of the few redeeming shows of 2009 for me. In particular, I found the No Longer Human chapter truly great.
I'd endorse this suggestion as well and also recommend Mouryou no Hako. Don't let the first episode fool you into thinking it's about mindless adolescent girls. Most of the story centers around adults. Lot of philosophizing and discussions of Omnyou mysticism in this show as well. It was released in the fall of 2008, but the subs took a long time to appear because of the complex Japanese script. No single group released the entire series; I watched Aero's subs followed by Aoi's. For some reason, Aero's episode five has vanished from the AS list. There's a complete version with the Aero/Aoi subs at another, well-known anime archive that I can't mention because it also lists licensed materials.

Edit: GHDpro promises to fix this problem.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-09-07 at 21:58.
Old 2010-09-07, 18:23   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Is it just me or does that sound just like Kyou no Go no Ni?
Yes, that was also a comparison I drew at first. And while that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as I love KnGnN (especially the OVAs), Mitsudomoe is actually quite different. For one, adults are much more a part of the storylines here. The humor definitely tilts more towards the perverted and less towards the innocent. Mitsudomoe relies more on slapstick, but also more on high-concept - where KnGnN stayed in its (very effective) comfort zone most of the time.

Both great series, and superficially similar - but much more different than it first appears.
Old 2010-09-07, 20:14   Link #26
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Actually there isn't as much focus on the Elric's teacher or Wrath. More on Greed and Ling instead. Oh and quite a bit more about Hoenhiem. Winry is also a much bigger character this time around. Kimblee actually gets developed beyond the "mad bomber" bit. A bit more development of Mustang's crew.

Lets just say there is a lot more emphasis on character development in the later half of the story then the fights.

The only complaint I have is that the first bit of Brotherhood is a bit rushed (probably because it's the part that is mostly the same as the first anime, and so they wanted to get to the new stuff faster.)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-09-09, 17:53   Link #27
4Tran

Status Update: I've watched Summer Wars, and I'd like to thank everyone who suggested this film. It's a nice refreshing watch after a Kon marathon, with good characterizations with some very nice scenes - anime needs more super grannies! What's weird is that I just watched Paprika; and while Summer Wars is quite different, it reminds me a lot of the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd endorse this suggestion as well and also recommend Mouryou no Hako. Don't let the first episode fool you into thinking it's about mindless adolescent girls. Most of the story centers around adults. Lot of philosophizing and discussions of Omnyou mysticism in this show as well. It was released in the fall of 2008, but the subs took a long time to appear because of the complex Japanese script. No single group released the entire series; I watched Aero's subs followed by Aoi's. For some reason, Aero's episode five has vanished from the AS list. There's a complete version with the Aero/Aoi subs at another, well-known anime archive that I can't mention because it also lists licensed materials.

Edit: GHDpro promises to fix this problem.
I've watched about half the show, and I liked it so far. I'll probably finish it one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes, that was also a comparison I drew at first. And while that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as I love KnGnN (especially the OVAs), Mitsudomoe is actually quite different. For one, adults are much more a part of the storylines here. The humor definitely tilts more towards the perverted and less towards the innocent. Mitsudomoe relies more on slapstick, but also more on high-concept - where KnGnN stayed in its (very effective) comfort zone most of the time.

Both great series, and superficially similar - but much more different than it first appears.
I also watched the first couple of episodes of Mitsudomoe, and... uh, it's definitely not my kind of show. There are different types of slapstick comedy, and this happens to be one of the ones I don't like.

Quote:
Actually there isn't as much focus on the Elric's teacher or Wrath. More on Greed and Ling instead. Oh and quite a bit more about Hoenhiem. Winry is also a much bigger character this time around. Kimblee actually gets developed beyond the "mad bomber" bit. A bit more development of Mustang's crew.

Lets just say there is a lot more emphasis on character development in the later half of the story then the fights.

The only complaint I have is that the first bit of Brotherhood is a bit rushed (probably because it's the part that is mostly the same as the first anime, and so they wanted to get to the new stuff faster.)
Alright, I think I'll give Brotherhood a go. Pacing doesn't matter all that much, and more interesting characterization is always a plus.
Old 2010-09-09, 19:33   Link #28
cerrian

Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra

This one flew under the radar of most people and it didn't help that the first 4 eps (the first arc) was really just the introduction to the larger mystery of the story. I'm just going to rip out an excerpt from a review that psgels did on it since he does a better job of characterizing this complex series.. You can read the full review @ http://psgels.blogsome.com/2010/04/0...review-925100/:

"For a fantasy series, the premise already stands out with its simple idea to turn people into ‘books’ after they die: these books can be read by anyone who touches them, and the lead characters are basically bookkeepers of these books (so yeah, the term ‘librarians’ in this series has very much a double meaning). The idea an sich is already very creative, but the beauty really lies in how the series makes use of those books to weave past and present into one.

Every arc is basically laid out with a number of seemingly unrelated plot-threads, that get woven into one brilliantly. Past and present cross each other in the explanation of the ties between the different characters in each arc as we learn about why the central characters became involved with the plot in the first place. Each arc really takes care to make its characters complete and even the character-development is very well thought out within the plot. Conclusions are often very clever combinations of circumstances of everyone’s unique circumstances.

And this just goes on for the entire series. Every arc continues to throw interesting plot twists that are full of creativity like it’s nothing! This comes at a price, of course. While this series really has had the best plot I have watched in YEARS, the characters don’t feel exactly like characters, but instead are much more part of the plot. Because of this, you don’t want to watch this sereis for realistic or characterization. The reason the characters rock in this series is because of what they represent, and how their development ties into the rest of the series."

One note of caution, be extra vigilant against spoilers with this one.
Old 2010-09-11, 16:25   Link #29
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra
<SNIP>
Hey, that sounds pretty interesting. What are the characters like? I'm mostly looking for the kind of archetypes used and how well they work.

On a slightly different note, I've heard some pretty good things about Angel Beats!, and I'm curious as to whether it's worth watching. It's been compared to Utena, and that's both a good thing (Utena being the best thing since sliced cheese), and a bad thing (most Utena-like shows crash and utterly burn).
Old 2010-09-11, 16:51   Link #30
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Hey, that sounds pretty interesting. What are the characters like? I'm mostly looking for the kind of archetypes used and how well they work.
Then Book of Bantorra is the show for you then. Very well written characters who stand out quite a bit. Easily some of my favorite characters from the past couple of years in that show.

Quote:
On a slightly different note, I've heard some pretty good things about Angel Beats!, and I'm curious as to whether it's worth watching. It's been compared to Utena, and that's both a good thing (Utena being the best thing since sliced cheese), and a bad thing (most Utena-like shows crash and utterly burn).
It's nothing like Utena, at all.
Old 2010-09-11, 22:59   Link #31
cerrian

Quote:

Bantorra has a huge cast of characters and thankfully the archtypes are all over the place and spread across the "good-bad" spectrum. What you won't find are shallow characters with cliche archtypes. While some characters can be easily classified as one type or another, it is not the case with the majority of the main cast.

Initially a character may be classified as a certain type, but as the story unfolds and the characters' history are presented, you'll see the various layers of their personalities get pulled back. Eventually you'll be able to trace the path of events/decisions that formed the characters' present personalities. That'll make you question your initial judgments of a characters and at times reconsider who they really are. This goes for both the "good" and "bad" guys. Even the evil characters get an equivalent amount of character development and depth. There's an incredible amount of character depth for such a large cast.

I also want to note that even minor characters who were long dead in earlier episodes play a major role in shaping later episodes as the chain of events and their relationships to other characters are revealed. Bantorra is able to do this because of their unique plot device of a person's "book" than can viewed/relived by any living person.
Old 2010-09-11, 23:54   Link #32
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Angel Beats was very funny at times...

and it had a very interesting premise...

but...

1: It was a little too obvious and heavy-handed in how it tried to pull on the emotions. "Dead little sisters" galore.

2: It was too short to do theplot justice, so the conclusion was rushed.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-09-12, 16:40   Link #33
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Is that character development in the sense of characters growing over time or is it in the sense of characters being defined very well (ala Risorante Paradiso)? Also, is philosophy/morality discussed much?
House of Five Leave's development comes in two ways. It defines the characters very well, and it shows the main character grows throughout the story. Morality is put in the picture, but not focused on THAT much. It is just more about how the members of House of Five Leaves came into the position of life they are in, and what still drives them to do what they do.

Quote:

I enjoyed Angel Beats, but that's because I never tried to take it too seriously. It's worth the watch if you're willing to just go for the ride, but it definitely has many problems, specifically with its ending as it was rushed to a conclusion. They needed more time.

And like many KEY works, they often try to pull emotions out of you with these character's pasts. Whether or not it comes off as trying to hard to do so is up to you.
Old 2010-09-19, 10:20   Link #34
4Tran

I've watched Angel Beats and I liked it quite a bit. I would also agree with the people who drew parallels between this show and Utena. Now, they're obviously very different shows, but the environment of the school and the NPCs and the combat is very reminiscent.

Quote:
Angel Beats was very funny at times...

and it had a very interesting premise...

but...

1: It was a little too obvious and heavy-handed in how it tried to pull on the emotions. "Dead little sisters" galore.

2: It was too short to do theplot justice, so the conclusion was rushed.
It's a KEY show. I'd expect the heavy-handed emotional stuff as much as I'd expect sarcastic leads in this and all of their future works. Moreover, I like the ending as it stood. More of the same would have overstayed its welcome. Overall, I thought that the emotional elements worked semi-well, with most of the important elements playing out properly. The main drawback was that the creators seemed to be constantly scrambling to come up with new enemies to heighten the tension; but as that's not the point of the show, I didn't think that it detracted from it very much.

I've also watched parts of the Book of Bantorra, and it's the kind of action show that doesn't normally appeal to me. I'm not a fan of action anime shows in general, and I prefer more naturalistic (as opposed to fantastic) character drama. Having said that, the show is still pretty decent, some of the characters are interesting and Paku Romi's performance is pulling me in. Because of the nature of the show, I don't think that I can give it a fair assessment until I finish it.

For now, thank you for all the recommendations.