AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-05, 04:15   Link #21
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
Stress tests are used to see how many players can join the server before it reaches its limit. If a mmorpg were to release without a stress test, they may have a disasterous relase day cuz the server might crash and nobody can play on the first day the game is out.

hmm, I guess thats why it's called a stress test. I didn't know that, thx for the info.
Old 2004-09-09, 20:30   Link #22
Imazul

I preordered the collector edition and im starting to work on the revival of my old T4C/UO/EQ/DAOC guild.... damn Blizzard, why to they have to be so good at what they do!
Old 2004-09-12, 04:57   Link #23
stpehen
kisses for all

I played it for a few days to sample the different races/classes. It's good fun. I wouldn't say there is no grinding, but it's definitely less necessary than any other MMORPG I've played.

The design for this game is unbelievable. Every city is so uniquely and fundamentally different from the others in architectural design. It's a joy to see in action.
Old 2004-11-06, 10:19   Link #24
Shadowlord
~DESU

World of Warcraft Trailer

Yes, I know their is a thread obout WoW, but this thread is for people to voice their impressions AFTER the trailer for the game. Personally, I am a Warcract fanboy, so even before the trailer i knew i was buying this game. After the trailer, i almost crapped my pants i was soo excited (almost)

Basically, say what you think of the game based on what you saw in the trailer, not necessarily on the game.

Edit: OMG, i cant believe i forgot the link!
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/trailer/

Last edited by Shadowlord; 2004-11-06 at 11:14.
Old 2004-11-06, 10:19   Link #25
knightmare
::bloom to perish::

Send a message via AIM to knightmare Send a message via Yahoo to knightmare
I'm a WoW fangirl, but it would help if you put in a link for that trailer! Is this trailer on the official website?
Old 2004-11-06, 18:19   Link #26
Necrodeath

Well....this trailers only wanted me to play the undead even more eagerly...
It looked incedibly good, but that's to be expected from Blizzard.
Old 2004-11-06, 20:01   Link #27
SlugZilla
woofles

It was quite good, in fact it looks more like a trailer for a movie, but I wish the game were that exciting
Old 2004-11-06, 23:40   Link #28
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
If only WoW was free...
Old 2004-11-07, 14:04   Link #29
Dante
Ninja Poster

I walched the trailer a little while ago, it was awsome! I can't wait for the game to come out.
Old 2006-04-25, 06:24   Link #30
Shini_GamI
YuI

Send a message via MSN to Shini_GamI
Talking anyone plays wow(world of warcraft)?

heh... just curious to know if anyone plays it..... its so damn addictive :S like every single second i would be thinking of it.... please someone, help me get out of this game already ><
lol
Old 2006-04-25, 08:42   Link #31
Ziv

http://www.jinx.com/scripts/details....&productID=415

I used to be on warcrack, but thankfully I stopped in time to get my college applications in.
Old 2006-04-25, 08:44   Link #32
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I do but I wouldn't go to animesuki to go talk about it though. This thread is sorta like saying "Are you having fun? Would you like to talk about it?"

WOW is fun but it has it's limits. I find that the only enjoyable aspect of wow is PVPing all the way.

ps: I like your signature. ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2006-04-25, 17:12   Link #33
Shini_GamI
YuI

Send a message via MSN to Shini_GamI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
I do but I wouldn't go to animesuki to go talk about it though. This thread is sorta like saying "Are you having fun? Would you like to talk about it?"

WOW is fun but it has it's limits. I find that the only enjoyable aspect of wow is PVPing all the way.

ps: I like your signature. ^_^
yeah, pvp is great, but pve are boring, and yes, true that this place isnt really the place to talk about it, but i thought it would be convenient when browsing in animesuki lolz ^^
Old 2006-04-25, 22:49   Link #34
Zhemos

Like said above WoW has it's limits.

Played WoW from day one. The game was really fun, leveling up to 60 was a blast. Coming from DAoC to WoW I was quite impressed with the PvE quest system. It wasn't the horrible grind that DAoC was. The PvP system was great.
There wasn't too many class imbalances except for Druids who were slightly under par, and Warlocks who had a few bugs.

The introduction of the honor system a few patches into the game was a great addition. The battles of hillsbrad were fun. But then a few patches later blizzard introduced battlegrounds, which in my opinion was one of the major downfalls of World of Warcraft.

PvP was no longer played for fun. It was played to obtain gear through honor ranks. The Honor system is hard to explain but lets just say in order to get the highest rank you must compete against your own faction for honor points each week to progress in rank.

This lead some players to play the game for a very unhealthy amount of time. Were talking 15+ hours a day for months, yes MONTHS. There was also a lot of guilds who cheated. They would setup matches with the opposing faction and trade wins, giving them an edge over other players which lead a lot of people to quit the game completely or just stop PvP all together.

I PvP'd up to rank 9 before calling it quits. The time investment was just too much for me and it was actually kind of stressful. After I quit PvPing I started to raid.

When WoW launched it had the epic 40 man raid dungeon Molten Core. MC was a way to progesss your character with some pretty niffty items. Raiding was a lot of fun at first, but then it just becomes a tedious grind like PvP. Though it doesn't require the massive amount of time PvP does, it does require quite a lot of organization, and the use of programs like team speak and ventrilo.

After the honor/battleground craze people settled down and turned to raiding in Molten Core to upgrade their characters. Within a month or two a lot of guilds had virtually mastered the dungeon, and a lot of people complained about the lack of challenge and end game content in WoW.

Blizzard responded with Blackwing's Lair, a very hard 40 man dungeon with a HUGE amount of bugs and lag. There was so many bugs at Its release the place was pretty much unplayble for almost a month. Blackwing's lair to this day atleast when I quit about 4 months ago still had a lot of bugs and lag. Some nights our raiding group had to end our run early because the sheer amount of lag and furstrating bugs plaguing our progression.

Now another major downfall of WoW.

World of Warcraft at launch was advertised as a casual game. It was at first, but with the introduction of the insane honor system grind. And the raiding dungeons, the game became quite unfriendly to casual gamers. In order to progress your character past level 60 you have two choices.

1)PvP
2)Raid

The time required to gain items in PvP is way too much for a casual gamer.
Working your life around a raiding schedule is too much for a casual gamer, especially if the guild you raid with uses a DKP system.(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKP)
This lead a lot of people to quit the game.

Now the #1 downfall of World of Warcraft and the reason I quit the game.

Lag, queues, server crashes. One year after release the game is till plauged with stability issues. The term World of waitcraft is not exaggerated. It's what the game should be called really. Having to wait an hour to log into the game, unexpectedly being kicked from the game and forced to wait an hour to get back in was not uncommon when I played WoW. It usually happend atleast twice a day, which is too much for me. Having to pack my bags and go home after a night of furstating wipes in an epic dungeon every weekend due to lag and key players getting kicked in the middle of fights was another thing that forced me to cancel my account.

WoW was fun while it lasted, It's very additive and it will steal your life if you don't watch yourself.
But I refuse to pay to play an unstable game.

With all that said, WoW still has quite a huge player base, but thats largely because WoW is basically the only good MMO atm. I forsee the game lossing quite a lot of it's players in about a year.
Old 2006-04-26, 09:24   Link #35
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos
Like said above WoW has it's limits.

Played WoW from day one. The game was really fun, leveling up to 60 was a blast. Coming from DAoC to WoW I was quite impressed with the PvE quest system. It wasn't the horrible grind that DAoC was. The PvP system was great.
There wasn't too many class imbalances except for Druids who were slightly under par, and Warlocks who had a few bugs.

The introduction of the honor system a few patches into the game was a great addition. The battles of hillsbrad were fun. But then a few patches later blizzard introduced battlegrounds, which in my opinion was one of the major downfalls of World of Warcraft.

PvP was no longer played for fun. It was played to obtain gear through honor ranks. The Honor system is hard to explain but lets just say in order to get the highest rank you must compete against your own faction for honor points each week to progress in rank.

This lead some players to play the game for a very unhealthy amount of time. Were talking 15+ hours a day for months, yes MONTHS. There was also a lot of guilds who cheated. They would setup matches with the opposing faction and trade wins, giving them an edge over other players which lead a lot of people to quit the game completely or just stop PvP all together.

I PvP'd up to rank 9 before calling it quits. The time investment was just too much for me and it was actually kind of stressful. After I quit PvPing I started to raid.

When WoW launched it had the epic 40 man raid dungeon Molten Core. MC was a way to progesss your character with some pretty niffty items. Raiding was a lot of fun at first, but then it just becomes a tedious grind like PvP. Though it doesn't require the massive amount of time PvP does, it does require quite a lot of organization, and the use of programs like team speak and ventrilo.

After the honor/battleground craze people settled down and turned to raiding in Molten Core to upgrade their characters. Within a month or two a lot of guilds had virtually mastered the dungeon, and a lot of people complained about the lack of challenge and end game content in WoW.

Blizzard responded with Blackwing's Lair, a very hard 40 man dungeon with a HUGE amount of bugs and lag. There was so many bugs at Its release the place was pretty much unplayble for almost a month. Blackwing's lair to this day atleast when I quit about 4 months ago still had a lot of bugs and lag. Some nights our raiding group had to end our run early because the sheer amount of lag and furstrating bugs plaguing our progression.

Now another major downfall of WoW.

World of Warcraft at launch was advertised as a casual game. It was at first, but with the introduction of the insane honor system grind. And the raiding dungeons, the game became quite unfriendly to casual gamers. In order to progress your character past level 60 you have two choices.

1)PvP
2)Raid

Working your life around a raiding schedule is too much for a casual gamer, especially if the guild you raid with uses a DKP system.(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKP)

Now the #1 downfall of World of Warcraft and the reason I quit the game.

Lag, queues, server crashes. One year after release the game is till plauged with stability issues. The term World of waitcraft is not exaggerated. It's what the game should be called really. Having to wait an hour to log into the game, unexpectedly being kicked from the game and forced to wait an hour to get back in was not uncommon when I played WoW. It usually happend atleast twice a day, which is too much for me. Having to pack my bags and go home after a night of furstating wipes in an epic dungeon every weekend due to lag and key players getting kicked in the middle of fights was another thing that forced me to cancel my account.

WoW was fun while it lasted, It's very additive and it will steal your life if you don't watch yourself.
But I refuse to pay to play an unstable game.

With all that said, WoW still has quite a huge player base, but thats largely because WoW is basically the only good MMO atm. I forsee the game lossing quite a lot of it's players in about a year.

Quite informative ^_^. Well, for me,i'll play till i'm either too busy or i'm tired of the game.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2006-04-29, 05:02   Link #36
Setzu
Einherjar

I just quit.

You know, it may be one of the most wonderful games ever.

Don't. Ever. Play it.
Old 2006-04-29, 07:04   Link #37
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos
Agree with most of this post, but the bolded comment seemed a bit odd to me. There are casual guilds that use dkp, it's simply a system to keep loot distribution fair. I don't think having a dkp system is necessarily bad for casual gamers, it depends on the system used.

Personally, I'm a bit bored with WoW at the moment and taking a step back. I still attend the big raids, but can't be bothered to be online all the time to grind or whatever, and I'm taking a break from the 20 man instances (ZG and AQ20 are interesting though).
Old 2006-04-29, 08:49   Link #38
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

To me it has lost all meaning.

Players are chasing a carrot they can't catch. Got some nice BWL gear after having raided for 10.000 hours through an incompetent repetitive dungeon?

Welcome - In 2 months your gear will officialy suck and be replaced by gear with better stats so you can "Pwn" and spit on all the other little children who like to say noob and lol.

Rense and repeat this proces for the next 5-10 years that WoW will be here.

It has absoutely NOTHING of the stuff that made MMORPGs interesting and different to begin with. It's like an overgrown diablo. Having played many MMORPGs since UO, I can say for sure that WoW is a hugh step back. Blizzards service is truly awful, and while the game is good entertainment from lvl 1 to lvl 60, they completely dropped the ball.

It's incredible how shallow and ignorant so many people can be. Why they play this game is beyond me. It must be for the same reason why 50 Cent is so popular. Ignorance........
Old 2006-04-29, 10:49   Link #39
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:46.
Old 2006-04-29, 12:30   Link #40
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn

It's incredible how shallow and ignorant so many people can be. Why they play this game is beyond me. It must be for the same reason why 50 Cent is so popular. Ignorance........

Shallow and Ignorant?

I myself have played many MMO's. In fact, up until recently, I was playing UO, my account was 5 years old. I have played Guild Wars, SWG, and FFXI. Yet, none of these were near as fun as WoW, at least to me.

I don't think people who like a perticular game are shallow or ignorant (maybe for different reasons). It's all about what kind of game you like, if you don't like WoW, then dont play it! If you do, then so be it.