AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-04-13, 02:42   Link #841
justpassingby

^
Spoiler for hmm:
Oh give the Vega a little break will you? She had to cross a river of 12 episodes and full of girls before she can meet her loved one. Though I have to admit he's not a good Altair and I have this urge to punch his face whenever I see him in the novels or my computer screen

Last edited by justpassingby; 2011-04-13 at 03:04.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 03:09   Link #842
Dahak86
Occasional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
^
Spoiler for hmm:
ah, that explains it. no monologues were shown in the anime, so...
but yeah, I don't think he's gay either. (although, he gave off weird signs pointing in that direction throughout the whole series )
but he certainly is one of the most dense leads I've seen in recent times. part of the success of this series, I guess...
Dahak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 03:21   Link #843
mangatron
Esdese's in love with me!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
It appears clear to me that the anime ended on open-harem-end. While I can definitely see why many Houki-fans would be all over it, and claiming it as a "Houki end"; I'd still like to quote the last "pearl of wisdom" Ichika left to us in the anime (dunno if he said 'that' in the LNs too):

Spoiler for pearl of wisdom:

you still think Houki won?
In the off chance there is no Season 2 (heaven forbid ), my opinion is she has much of a big lead over the other girls. But that's in regards to ending the Anime at that; no clear winner (in the Mark Twain authoring method I always follow) of a story of a boy. And since the novel is practically ongoing, I can't even say who is going to win, because my mind has forever been tainted by the poison called Gatekeepers 21

My upcoming Houki editorial does not intend to justify Houki as the winner of episode 12, it's primary purpose is to clarify why she was important to the Anime (to address complaints she came out of nowhere in this "victory" of hers), why she actually mattered to it (to address concerns she was partly shafted in the series), and why she actually did have much of an impact throughout the entire 12 eps despite how it looked all Shirley'ed up during that run of eps 6-9 (the best part of the editorial, which addresses the complaints of IS having no plot and just being a generic harem). It's a really great piece which I have set for posting tomorrow hopefully, as I had a lot of paperwork to do too

I hear you like walls of text, as it reached over 8,600 words. I have now killed a catgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
ah, that explains it. no monologues were shown in the anime, so...
It is too bad it ended the way it did. The link I gave in my previous post had the author mention adding that scene in the BD's would be possible. Which I hope they do I do find myself looking into the novels more often now, and I'm wondering if there's something I can do for those translations.

Quote:
but yeah, I don't think he's gay either. (although, he gave off weird signs pointing in that direction throughout the whole series )
I've been wondering why viewers thought that way, the series may have looked like that, but Chifuyu made it kinda clear in ep 10 about what it actually takes to wake up this guy. I'd rather not mention it here, since I cover that in my editorial too.

How did that uniform hide those?!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 05:23   Link #844
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author

Quote:
IS having no plot and just being a generic harem
i dunno why people call this a generic harem, what is a generic harem? the only other "harem" i've ever watched is clannad and hotd, and they are all so different, so what, i ask you, is a generic harem? is it this? well then in that case it would be my first time seeing one, in which case i think that means harems are not common-place
Old 2011-04-13, 06:09   Link #845
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
i dunno why people call this a generic harem, what is a generic harem? the only other "harem" i've ever watched is clannad and hotd, and they are all so different, so what, i ask you, is a generic harem? is it this? well then in that case it would be my first time seeing one, in which case i think that means harems are not common-place
I've seen the comment about I.S. being a generic harem with no plot on several sites, comment sections, etc. which I for one do not think so, but I think I do know what qualifies as a generic harem.

A good example, plain and simple, is: a generic harem is where a guy is surrounded by 3 or more girls who all have an interest in him, but by series end, he makes no choice as to which girl he wants to marry/impregnate/live with, etc.

It's that question I asked before, were we poisoned through the years to the point where we can't tell anymore? Sure, I won't deny it, I.S. is a harem, but by no means was the Anime generic except for the unfortunate limitations of the writers and time constraints an Anime has in comparison to written material.

Hard to say about the Novel though, as I've just started looking it up and you'll note my surprise at the cover for volume 6. I like the novel art too, ah... Tatenashi's pantyhose....

My avatars & signatures

XD
Old 2011-04-13, 06:16   Link #846
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author

Quote:
a generic harem is where a guy is surrounded by 3 or more girls who all have an interest in him, but by series end, he makes no choice as to which girl he wants to marry/impregnate/live with, etc.
lol, i don't think i've ever seen an anime like that XD
Old 2011-04-13, 07:28   Link #847
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
lol, i don't think i've ever seen an anime like that XD
Well well, you are a lucky one, I'll give you that I've seen quite much of it to no longer even be phased by the negatives, unfortunately. I am happy to know though that the I.S. Anime followed it's novel quite well, it seems even down to the chapter titles at times

I am a bit surprised though Houki has a white ribbon in that very first chapter of Novel #1

For the Novel translators here (if there are any) : how do you guys go about translating? Do you translate it directly into english, or do you romanize it first, and then to english?

My avatars & signatures

XD
Old 2011-04-13, 08:45   Link #848
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Directly to English of course. It's hard to translate things without looking at the kanji cause Japanese has a large amount of words with the same sound but different meaning.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 09:13   Link #849
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Directly to English of course. It's hard to translate things without looking at the kanji cause Japanese has a large amount of words with the same sound but different meaning.
Ah. I see, thanks. As I've done translating for fansubs back in the day, I don't think it would be hard for me. And I've got a good place to start, it's only a matter of my already convoluted schedule

My avatars & signatures

XD
Old 2011-04-13, 21:22   Link #850
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Ah. I see, thanks. As I've done translating for fansubs back in the day, I don't think it would be hard for me. And I've got a good place to start, it's only a matter of my already convoluted schedule
Well, if you've translated from a fansub before, you might be able to do it from just romaji, but some little warning though.

1. Unlike anime, a novel(if this is what you wanted to translate) doesn't have picture to help describe the nuance of each scene, so sometimes a word's two or more meaning can fit the situation well if you don't look at the kanji.

2. Again, unlike anime, where it would seems very awkward if the character talks too long and they have little pause between each words, the sentence in a novel can be quite long sometimes(even more prevalent in "heavier" novel like Dengeki Bunko's one) and the kanji is a good way to break out the words since unlike English, the Japanese doesn't use space to break out words.

Still, please do give it a try. My experience might not apply for you since I learn Japanese from reading instead of hearing. New translators are always welcomed, especially for LN since the translators are always in short supply
Old 2011-04-14, 04:46   Link #851
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

the Usual dose of novel illustrations for you guys/gals

Spoiler for IS volume 7:

The Higher quality picture can be downloaded here

Kuroshinigami, tanomimasu
hayate-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 05:25   Link #852
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post

Spoiler for IS volume 7:

Oh my, zey finally hit ze airwaves, ja? I..... the amount of Houki.... it is super effective to my desires!

Did I just spy some Ran-chan? Oooohh.....

My avatars & signatures

XD
Old 2011-04-14, 08:32   Link #853
Ypocaramel

So we're got:

Inside cover: What, is Houki fighting an IS with an anti-clothing attack?
Houki pic 2: hahaha cute, cute cute, just cute.
Younger sister IS: macross missile massacre hmm...
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 08:38   Link #854
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post

lol, I couldn't help you this time because there's too little story in the accompanying page this time, but let me try.

Spoiler for vol 7 illustration:

Well, that's the basic gist of it. Hope this is helpful for people. On other note, it seems my copy will take even longer to come, so it's either I found a scanned version of it, or I will get it after I'm finished with vol 6.
Old 2011-04-14, 08:57   Link #855
Javiersansano

Just to confirm, but does each chapter from the novel has at least one picture?.......because it they do, then there is no progress regarding the plot that came from the vol. 6 cliffhanger

also, kuroishinigami, two timing bastard doesn't cut it...........at the very least, he is a six-timing (harem + Ran) bastard, and probably more considering the other characters.

Last edited by Javiersansano; 2011-04-14 at 09:01. Reason: missing info
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 10:21   Link #856
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

No progress from vol 6 cliffhanger. They only put less than 6 pages to resolve it......
Spoiler for vol 7:
Old 2011-04-14, 10:32   Link #857
Javiersansano

Quote:
No progress from vol 6 cliffhanger. They only put less than 6 pages to resolve it......
Spoiler for vol 7:
Spoiler for vol. 7:
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 10:32   Link #858
Ypocaramel

Well if the LNs are selling well then the author probably feels no need to wrap up the plots quickly, might as well sell a few more books
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 10:35   Link #859
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:
lol, I couldn't help you this time because there's too little story in the accompanying page this time, but let me try.

Spoiler for vol 7 illustration:

Well, that's the basic gist of it. Hope this is helpful for people. On other note, it seems my copy will take even longer to come, so it's either I found a scanned version of it, or I will get it after I'm finished with vol 6.
LOL , I order it from Kinokuniya japan and its shipping is dirty cheap, I remember paying 1100 yen for a shipment with 5 light volumes and it took DHL one day to delivered it to my country

Thanks again for your translation this time, hope you stay around when volume 8 come out .
hayate-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 12:18   Link #860
thekin

there is something i have been thinking about. we might be looking at this in the wrong way
Spoiler for vol 7:
thekin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blockhead protagonist, comparison, fanservice, harem, manga rebooted, mecha, seinen, shounen, yuuki homura