AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-14, 12:36   Link #61
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Brazil
Age: 25
I quite like KOKOMI, though it's my first time listening to her on a solo project. Asriel always did some great stuff, with the only con of their stuff ALWAYS SOUNDING THE SAME. So, having KOKOMI work with a different composer this time around is just lovely. Loving this new OP.

As for the art, I quite like it. The guy may not be the best artist ever, but, to be fair, in his designs people actually look like... human beings. That's something praiseworthy just by itself, when a lot of eroge/novels out there have shit like Noizi Ito plastering the screen. Or the Key woman. And so on.

Edit: Removed said part, then! Thanks for the heads-up, Klashi.
__________________
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 12:39   Link #62
*Sapphire*
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
This... is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Ryukishi's art is horribly okay, but this just makes it ten times better. And I am soooo diggin' the sprites. It's times like this I wish I knew how to read in Japanese. :/

Great move, Alchemist! <3
*Sapphire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 12:39   Link #63
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdri View Post
I guess that would have been the right way to preserve the original intention of the story. But from what I see in game and anime alike spoiler filled intros rarely are handled with care and it seem many people really don't care about this at all. Even for non mystery stuff it can easily diminish the effect if the direction of the later story gets reveal before the show even starts etc. .... there is a reason many animes don't show the opening in the first episode... its just the easy way out.
The fact the situation is like that for most anime etc doesn't mean it should be applied without any common sense. I mean, stuff like your cutting edge VN doesn't really have any impact, but for mystery genre like Umineko or Ever17 for example, it can be a huge deal if they are reckless.
Quote:
But that also always a question about context for spoilers:
There was this really nice review on YouTube about Baccano (which obviously also has a weird way to tell its story) and the reviewer commented how the first episode is essentially one big spoiler for every important twist to come but still it doesn't matter at all because without the right context they mean absolutely nothing to you and may even enhance the story.
That's correct, there are spoilers out of context that are pretty harmless.
Notice that I never mentioned "events" except perhaps Belphe VS rudolf. However, my main point is how it ruins the "surprise" of some characters, since they are shown. Unlike Baccano, which is based on "scenes" to be spoilers, the presence of characters can be a big giveaway (Ange being the prime example due to her absence of the main cast, the ushiromiya crest and her red hair).

Quote:
If you put this to the extreme you could even call all those forum avatars on the net or even the names of later games or their game covers "big spoilers"...
I do not believe I'm going on extremes, and actually I did remove some avatars I considered spoilerish. The reason is that some pictures are too easy to figure even without knowledge of the said episode (like Battler with his cloak), while new characters do not have much impact especially if they aren't recognized as "Umineko". The context is very different for the opening, since you can identify the source and connect the dots if you take time to observe.
Bottom line: it removes a lot of surprise, but certainly doesn't foretell in advance what is going on, that's sure.

Quote:
Those scene are just really big important spoilers to us because we already know they are big and important.
Notice that I said "is it ok?" and presence of spoiler, I never said "big important spoiler. The opening doesn't tell any major events, aside 1-2 in a split of a second.
Quote:
The PS2 Higurashi intro had the same kind of important scene in them. They just were not that obviously weird to pay much attention to them. The Kai intro even had Hanyu in it in really obvious way and it still didn't tell you anything important.
You can't compare Higurashi opening, considering the story and the facts the behavior of the characters don't make sense. In fact, the little presence of "new characters" prevent a lessened shock. Hanyuu however was ironically the part that I wasn't too happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
As for the art, I quite like it. The guy may not be the best artist ever, but, to be fair, in his designs people actually look like... human beings. That's something praiseworthy just by itself, when a lot of eroge/novels out there have shit like Noizi Ito plastering the screen. Or the Key woman. And so on.
A bit offtopic, but eroge and the likes aren't designed to be realistic, otherwise more than 95% of them wouldn't fit the market at all. And I hardly see Noizi or Hinoue "plastered on a lot of eroge" around considering the very little number of release, unlike stuff from Nishimata etc. Heck, even Suzuhira has her design shown on much more games than the 2 mentioned.
__________________

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-09-14 at 12:57.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 12:45   Link #64
LaplaceNoMa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 26


Note the difference. You you like the bottom sprites more, you didn't read Umineko, this is 100% certain.

Because these 'trollfaces' are NOT trollfaces at all. And they MUST have been trollfaces because that's how the novel goes.
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 12:52   Link #65
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Brazil
Age: 25
Quote:
A bit offtopic, but eroge and the likes aren't designed to be realistic, otherwise more than 95% of them wouldn't fit the market at all. And I hardly see Noizi or Hinoue "plastered on a lot of eroge" around considering the very little number of release, unlike stuff from Nishimata etc.
Those two just came to mind, but yes, Nishimata is also horribly terrible. And as for not being realistic, while I do get your point, I do think that there's a difference between having "cute" art or "stylish" one and just being unable to draw something that resembles a human being. A lot of artists love to mess up with proportions and even the most basic notions of anatomy out there, and, in my opinion, there's no excuse to do poorly on these.

But anyway, let's just leave it at that, seeing as I'm already going off-topic myself. All in all, I'm satisfied with the art in this and nothing really bothers me. Not even the "weird trollfaces", seeing as they were already really exaggerated in the original games.

And thanks for the heads-up, regarding the request I did above. Edited my post to avoid any trouble.
__________________
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 12:53   Link #66
InternHertz
.lone.....
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Age: 29
I'm glad it's on PS3, 360 would have meant I couldn't import due to region-locking

I saw that preorders would come with a set of 2 Truth pens, and then there are preorder bonuses for different retailers...if I could I would get the Dakimakura cover of Beatrice I'll try and ask my importer if they can get me that one...

If not, well, erm, I would need to see what those pens look like because paying more for just two normal pens may be a bit much.

Wallet am cry.
InternHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 12:59   Link #67
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternHertz View Post
I'm glad it's on PS3, 360 would have meant I couldn't import due to region-locking

I saw that preorders would come with a set of 2 Truth pens, and then there are preorder bonuses for different retailers...if I could I would get the Dakimakura cover of Beatrice I'll try and ask my importer if they can get me that one...

If not, well, erm, I would need to see what those pens look like because paying more for just two normal pens may be a bit much.

Wallet am cry.
I do not own a dakimakura, but I think you shouldn't expect something special considering it is a bonus in "range" with the other telephone cards, therefore the quality shouldn't be exceptional (unless they raise the price tag).

As for the pens, if i'm not mistaken, it is "just" a pre-order bonus, so you shouldn't have to pay any extra.
__________________
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 14:27   Link #68
Baru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Your Mind
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
Note the difference. You you like the bottom sprites more, you didn't read Umineko, this is 100% certain.

Because these 'trollfaces' are NOT trollfaces at all. And they MUST have been trollfaces because that's how the novel goes.
I've read through the sound novel twice, and even I have to say that the bottom sprites are fantastic.
Not that Ryukishi's sprite are bad, but... Alchemist's Beatrice sprites are beautiful
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 14:36   Link #69
AnimeNemesis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I read the umineko VN on PC and I love beato's PS3 sprites.
AnimeNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 14:40   Link #70
KoiYuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I may be getting a PS3 then just for this. Sigh... there goes my money, again. But as for a translation, I wonder, wouldn't the game be nearly line for line the same as the PC version? In that case you could almost play the PC version as you go along, right?


Actually, I would have to say the Beatrice one was due to Divine Intervention. As soon as I got the Maria, I one coined the Beatrice. For some reason when I dropped the crane down, it grabbed onto her head and actually moved her out into the prize area.
That's true.. though my PS3 is waaaay far from my computer. D: Guess I'd have to steal a laptop or something from.. someone.

(I know this is off topic now, but you should totally snag another one and sell it to me. 8D *shot*)

Anyway, I do like the art, even though there is something slightly off about it in general (dunno what). Of course, I think the trollfaces are pretty bad.. but the other expressions seem fine. I like Battler's non-pointing sprite, Shannon, Kanon, & Beatrice the most from what can be seen on famitsu. I really wanna see Lambda and a fullbody of Bern. ;A;
__________________
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 14:59   Link #71
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Does anyone else think Gohda looks exactly the same only with his head shrunk?

I mean, objectively, it looks better, but I can't help but feel his head's too small.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 15:35   Link #72
Witch of Uncertainty
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
The only complaint I have with this SN (I'd definetely buy it if I could!), has to be that the art seems a bit soulless. Don't get me wrong, it looks really good and all, but just like the comparison above, the characters look very .. I don't know, Flat?

Same with the higurashi games. I thought I'd prefer the PS2 art, but in the end, I went with the original art. Still.. The voice acting alone makes me want a PS3..
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 16:09   Link #73
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 27
Loving the new art, personally. I agree that the trollfaces just aren't the same, though. I've yet to see any adaptation (Anime, any of the Manga, etc) who I felt have done justice to the trollfaces, especially Beato's. That's my only complaint though...and Genji looks a bit...odd. Other than that, I think they look fantastic. I've grown to appreciate Ryukishi's art, but by no means do I think it's fantastic, or think the value of the story is diminished without it.

I think it'd be a lot easier to convince friends to get into this amazing story (sadly many of my friends would avoid the VN and favor the Anime due to the art, and...well I think most of us can agree that's noooot the best version to get into) if the artwork was more...familiar. Ryukishi's art has a unique charm, but a lot of folks do prefer more 'typical Anime-style' art. As it is, many of us already have the VN and have read it many times over. It's not going anywhere. I see nothing but good to come from the PS3 version, to increase the fanbase and get more people who may not like Ryukishi's art into the series.

And it's going to use the Anime VA's and the original VN music. I cannot complain about this.
KanonTheFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 16:14   Link #74
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gobbled up by Promathia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanonTheFurniture View Post
Loving the new art, personally. I agree that the trollfaces just aren't the same, though. I've yet to see any adaptation (Anime, any of the Manga, etc) who I felt have done justice to the trollfaces, especially Beato's. That's my only complaint though...and Genji looks a bit...odd. Other than that, I think they look fantastic. I've grown to appreciate Ryukishi's art, but by no means do I think it's fantastic, or think the value of the story is diminished without it.

I think it'd be a lot easier to convince friends to get into this amazing story (sadly many of my friends would avoid the VN and favor the Anime due to the art, and...well I think most of us can agree that's noooot the best version to get into) if the artwork was more...familiar. Ryukishi's art has a unique charm, but a lot of folks do prefer more 'typical Anime-style' art. As it is, many of us already have the VN and have read it many times over. It's not going anywhere. I see nothing but good to come from the PS3 version, to increase the fanbase and get more people who may not like Ryukishi's art into the series.

And it's going to use the Anime VA's and the original VN music. I cannot complain about this.
It's using the same music? Thank god.

I don't know how I would like a new Umineko adaptation without the awesome music. It'll be interesting to hear the familiar BGMs alongside famous voice actors.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 16:29   Link #75
snsninja
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
I would have problems if they gave away big hints, but I don't really see them. Quite frankly, there is so much stuff in Umineko anyway that people are likely to forget whatever "spoilers" they find in the OP.

I guess the things shown in the OP are supposed to make sense after you play the game, but not until then.
I agree with this.
When I was watching umineko for the first time I found this one fanart that had all the witches up to EP4 in it. At the time I was only on EP2 but I still kind of shrugged it off (yes even MARIA)
snsninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 16:30   Link #76
kiby
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: paris france
I think this version is exiting; the CG are going to give more clues (maybe too much like in higurashi ds...) and the voices will be just great.

The only remaning question is .....will there be more goods and books with it? XD
kiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 17:38   Link #77
Marion
The Great Dine
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Looks good but...where's Lambda in the sneak peek shots. Seriously they included all the major characters in EP 1-4 (even Evatrice in her uniform is there) excluding Lambda. That's just cruel
__________________

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 17:43   Link #78
immblueversion
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where you're not.
The voice acting is one of the reasons I decided to watch the anime. In that department, I was far from disappointed. Of course, for the most part, I appreciated the anime as a whole for what it was worth, even if it was inferior (or so to speak) to the original, and it kind of got me down when the odds of there being a Chiru anime (regardless of how good or bad it would have ended up) became almost pathetically slim.

But now that the best aspects of both mediums are being blended into one, my life may just become ever so slightly more complete; I can only hope they'll get around to doing it for Chiru. If not, it's great to have everyone back. (Oh, I've missed you so, Saya-saya!)
__________________
I'm not the boss.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 18:07   Link #79
immblueversion
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where you're not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
It's using the same music? Thank god.

I don't know how I would like a new Umineko adaptation without the awesome music. It'll be interesting to hear the familiar BGMs alongside famous voice actors.
The Anthology Drama CD, which was released a month before the anime and contains events from Legend of the Golden Witch (but only select scenes and doesn't go all that much further than the first twilight) contains some of the game's BGMs as well as original music, some of which appeared in the anime and others that didn't.

By the way, in case you (or others) haven't heard it, the first twilight was AWESOME, even though it doesn't use the exact game BGM. In fact, it's on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgPKOM3Q9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndvxF2ZYR4k
__________________
I'm not the boss.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 18:41   Link #80
snsninja
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Slowed down the opening vid.
Turns out they spoiled a few more scenes than I thought...
Spoiler for EP1-4 screenshots:

Last edited by snsninja; 2010-09-17 at 17:55.
snsninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.