AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2012-07-16, 21:03   Link #81
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
[SIZE=4]
"No point in NA/EU":
is what many think because of the traumatic experience from PSU. Customer support and game support was so slim it almost felt like the game was degenerating (rollbacks and errors *cough*). The hardest hit to players' stomaches was that, despite the poor service, they would still promise us. Promise us with updates... which never came. Optimism is great but there's just so much limit to patience and SoA just crossed the line and in a way betrayed everyone's expectations, or even worse, took away everyone's expectations.

Anyway, the point is there is no reason not to give NA/EU another chance. Things can change for the better. Besides, it's free to play so why not give it a try. I'm admittedly a bit too optimistic about this compared to those many folks in PSOW but while I do think that JP will be really enjoyable, I don't want to be in moonspeak land forever and 'waiting for translations' will also get on the nerves imo.
Awful localizations time and time again, no option for the Japanese voices are additional negatives, but boy did SOA screw up PSU. It's a damn shame too as there actually was a good game hiding inside that trainwreck, but by the time it got worth playing, most people had given up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Don't forget Phantasy Star Online. The Japanese got preferential treatment, getting quests that we never got to see. They also got better protection against cheaters.

Nothing will change as long as Sega of Japan maintains their xenophobic attitude.
This was particularly notable during the PSU "MAG" debacle too, where players were promised by SOA some good compensation for their screw-ups, only to wait forever for most of it to get rejected by SOJ because they didn't want foreigners getting stuff that would make the Japanese players grumble over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
i hope SoA doesnt fail us this time again like PSU NA/EU PC ver. all my
2000+ hrs. in that game gone in a heart beat. of course, the slow updates
didnt help much either.
THIS. What really pissed me off was that there were ways they could have helped us, such as allowing us to import characters to either the SOJ server, the 360 server, or hell, even to the local game if nothing else. I mean, I still have my character and their stuff on my Game Cube and Dreamcast....if I ever dust them off...why not in PSU? It had the offline game after all, and while I understand separating the two during the time the servers were active to prevent cheating, I mean, jeez. Also local LAN game support would have been nice while I'm making that wishlist, but yeah, right. SEGAC FTL. (PSU fans will know what that "C" at the end is for)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir View Post
Unless the servers are globally connected, im not going to give the US ver a chance. I mean SoA has let people down so many times... Ill just stick with the jp servers, fastest new content, maby possible to swap out some of the US ver files to get english in game.
QFT. Though after seeing some of the early reports of PSO2 making similar design mistakes to the launch of PSU (aside from being F2P at least, more or less), I'll probably just have more fun on Tera Online or Dragon Nest for my action-MMORPG needs. I'll miss the SF setting of PS, but not the headaches of incompetent management. And if anyone's following the news of how Sega is doing in the US and Europe lately, you can see why I have little faith they'll do any better keeping up with Japan this time around.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 21:53   Link #82
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Though after seeing some of the early reports of PSO2 making similar design mistakes to the launch of PSU (aside from being F2P at least, more or less), I'll probably just have more fun on Tera Online or Dragon Nest for my action-MMORPG needs. I'll miss the SF setting of PS, but not the headaches of incompetent management. And if anyone's following the news of how Sega is doing in the US and Europe lately, you can see why I have little faith they'll do any better keeping up with Japan this time around.
This. I'm not sure if I can deal with SEGA's horrible management and localization failure again. That and I used to be pretty excited for PSO2, but I wasn't particularly impressed with what I experienced when I played in one of the CBTs. Not that the game is bad, as it's definitely not. I guess I've just been spoiled by TERA and a couple of other games...

Since it's free, I'm willing to give it a chance once it comes stateside. But if it had gone P2P, I wouldn't even touch it.
Old 2012-07-17, 00:09   Link #83
Fran
★Debt Collector★
*Graphic Designer

Location: "money, money, money...give them to me, please." $_$
@Ayu-ayu: C stands for Kubara Woods! lol. good memories even if those were HORRIBLE ones.

i'll give PSO2 another chance; just hoping that they'll come to steam though, but i'm
not going to expect anything spectacular coming from SoA anymore. they can't
even localized psp2i or valkyria 3 to NA/EU. and SoJ doesnt seem to like SoA
much either. them fighting against each others will surely only cause their western fans
to suffer even more.

and is it just me, or does SoA release nothing but Sonic games! no offense sonic fans.
Old 2012-07-17, 09:17   Link #84
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Though after seeing some of the early reports of PSO2 making similar design mistakes to the launch of PSU (aside from being F2P at least, more or less), I'll probably just have more fun on Tera Online or Dragon Nest for my action-MMORPG needs.
What were those mistakes? The only thing I could complain about is releasing a game that obviously isn't done as more story missions and areas are already planned for the next six months. But you can argue that that's part of the free-to-play model.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:18   Link #85
Sides

Quote:
and is it just me, or does SoA release nothing but Sonic games! no offense sonic fans.
Do they actually still have a studio in the US? Last thing I heard is that they got cut in 2008, so if i am right there is nothing left in the US, but a PR office and contact spot for third party studios, who do the outsourced project for sega.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 12:28   Link #86
Vanish
Science Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Awful localizations time and time again, no option for the Japanese voices are additional negatives, but boy did SOA screw up PSU. It's a damn shame too as there actually was a good game hiding inside that trainwreck, but by the time it got worth playing, most people had given up on it.
Agreed.

Quote:
QFT. Though after seeing some of the early reports of PSO2 making similar design mistakes to the launch of PSU (aside from being F2P at least, more or less), I'll probably just have more fun on Tera Online or Dragon Nest for my action-MMORPG needs. I'll miss the SF setting of PS, but not the headaches of incompetent management. And if anyone's following the news of how Sega is doing in the US and Europe lately, you can see why I have little faith they'll do any better keeping up with Japan this time around.
I can't think of any major mistakes. In fact, right now I think PSO2 is a great successor to PSO, with many superior features. And if you only checked out reports, you should try out the actual game, it's worth a try. As for the F2P, it made me grumble at the beginning but after I tried the game out I was quite satisfied. The core gameplay is there so far which is the most entertaining part, I can do without a My Room. Though if this is how they choose to milk the game, so be it, I guess at some point even I wouldn't mind giving them my money for the sake of getting improvements and updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Not that the game is bad, as it's definitely not. I guess I've just been spoiled by TERA and a couple of other games...

Since it's free, I'm willing to give it a chance once it comes stateside. But if it had gone P2P, I wouldn't even touch it.
I am taking freedom to prejudice here but from what I understand, TERA is a very good game (I will play it once I get my new credit card in a few days) but becomes very monotonous after you reached endgame. I don't know about PSO2 but so far I could do a mission over and over and not get bored. The fast battle system that's almost like Devil May Cry is really addicting.

The F2P / P2P thing is really controversial but I'd say that P2P is more favourable because it gives a solid budget for the game management (how that's done is up to the staff, of course, and yeah ok SoA failed) and also doesn't rely on cash shops as much as in F2P games. Cash shops can really take away a lot of fun aspects when overdone.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 17:32   Link #87
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Looks like I wasn't too clear in my previous post.
Was wondering why I couldn't create a new character after I deleted my old one. Turns out server was locked on character creation and didn't find out until I visit this thread, shouldn't have quoted the whole sentence really.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Anmi
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 18:14   Link #88
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

I'm probably exaggerating on the "same mistakes" part, and to be fair I haven't played PS02 so I'm just going on what I've read/heard. It largely reminds me of the way they launched PSU, though in the case of PSU, the "walled off" areas were places that existed already completed in the offline game, and was set too low so almost immediately players were hitting the ceiling as it were. I know that this in itself is more expected now and can think of other titles that do it effectively. But there's just little things I see that kind of bug me, much of the game looks really dated now and could stand to learn more from the competition. They've taken what they've learned from PSO and PSU and stepped it up some though, I will grant that much. But Korea's starting to do the action-mmorpg thing pretty well now. Sega still has the better character customization and combat, but for how much longer...?

I'll probably try the game at some point. Though as said, unless it's joined servers worldwide like the old PSO days, I'll probably stick to the Japanese server when I join. At least I know they'll have support there.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Old 2012-07-17, 20:30   Link #89
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
I am taking freedom to prejudice here but from what I understand, TERA is a very good game (I will play it once I get my new credit card in a few days) but becomes very monotonous after you reached endgame. I don't know about PSO2 but so far I could do a mission over and over and not get bored. The fast battle system that's almost like Devil May Cry is really addicting.
It depends on the person. Some people I've talked to love TERA's endgame content, others think it's boring, broken, stupid, and/or just flatout bad. I personally don't like to speed level to cap, so I'm still having fun enjoying the other things the game has to offer, as well as having fun with my friends.

I liked combat from what little bit of PSO2 I played, but I didn't play it enough to get comfortable with it (I was frustrated by the Japanese, lol). It reminded me of PSU (my first MMORPG love) but with a lot of differences, and I have mixed feelings about it.

Quote:
The F2P / P2P thing is really controversial but I'd say that P2P is more favourable because it gives a solid budget for the game management (how that's done is up to the staff, of course, and yeah ok SoA failed) and also doesn't rely on cash shops as much as in F2P games. Cash shops can really take away a lot of fun aspects when overdone.
I agree with this completely.

However, I only said that if PSO2 was P2P I wouldn't touch it because, from what I experienced in beta tests, I didn't feel the game was worth me paying a monthly fee for it (by MY standards/preferences). That and, as I said, I often think back to SoA's godawful customer service (which I PAID for). But that's just my personal opinion.
Old 2012-07-17, 21:12   Link #90
Fran
★Debt Collector★
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Do they actually still have a studio in the US? Last thing I heard is that they got cut in 2008, so if i am right there is nothing left in the US, but a PR office and contact spot for third party studios, who do the outsourced project for sega.
i dont really know, honestly. i havent do much research or even bother much of what's
happening to them. but i do know that they're not doing so well for sure.

i saw one female worker who posted on PSOW not too long ago (2-3 months) about quitting her job at SoA because
they were not doing so well...i guess. if anyone was there, she was handling out free stuffs with lottery game or something before leaving.
i was there as well to play, but didnt win anything...meh.

that's all i got. someone else might knows more than me of their fate.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:17   Link #91
Sides

New update, client and content.
New area, Mines, is unlocked by completing the free iceberg/tundra mission in 20min with a S-rank. Probably easiest if you form a human party to get the job done. The problem is the boss fight with snow banther and banshee, it is doable alone, but it takes a lot of time.
I looked at the timer, for two hunters it took us over 10min just to beat the both, with a full party, 2 additional rangers under 5min.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:44   Link #92
Vanish
Science Member

Quote:
I'll probably try the game at some point. Though as said, unless it's joined servers worldwide like the old PSO days, I'll probably stick to the Japanese server when I join. At least I know they'll have support there.
Sakai confirmed that there won't be joined servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
It depends on the person. Some people I've talked to love TERA's endgame content, others think it's boring, broken, stupid, and/or just flatout bad. I personally don't like to speed level to cap, so I'm still having fun enjoying the other things the game has to offer, as well as having fun with my friends.
I like to speed level cap which is why I worry about the endgame content, however I also enjoy the community once I integrate and one of my friends already booked a place for me in their guild and from what I know it's a fun group of people.

Quote:
I liked combat from what little bit of PSO2 I played, but I didn't play it enough to get comfortable with it (I was frustrated by the Japanese, lol). It reminded me of PSU (my first MMORPG love) but with a lot of differences, and I have mixed feelings about it.
Do you use the fan translation site? I use it all the time and it works like magic. I was also frustrated or more like I still am frustrated but I'm slowly getting used to the UI so it's not a big deal. Oh and PSU was my first MMORPG love, too.

Quote:
However, I only said that if PSO2 was P2P I wouldn't touch it because, from what I experienced in beta tests, I didn't feel the game was worth me paying a monthly fee for it (by MY standards/preferences). That and, as I said, I often think back to SoA's godawful customer service (which I PAID for). But that's just my personal opinion.
Yeah, that's fair enough. Well, I'm glad either way it's F2P. Just hoping the cash shop won't kill it for me.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:53   Link #93
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
to be fair I haven't played PS02
It's kind of hard to play a game that doesn't exist.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:33   Link #94
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
It's kind of hard to play a game that doesn't exist.
True enough. Though I meant PSO2 not PS02, if that's what you're getting at...

Old 2012-07-18, 12:45   Link #95
Fran
★Debt Collector★
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
True enough. Though I meant PSO2 not PS02, if that's what you're getting at...
i'm thinking he meant the English ver. that isnt available yet. that's why he
say you cant play what does not exist yet.
Old 2012-07-18, 13:10   Link #96
Vanish
Science Member

@Ayu-ayu
Yeah just try it out once it comes to NA/EU. You won't be disappointed anytime soon I'm sure of it (because I am enjoying JP ver. very much right now. I believe SoA is as dead as a fish on dry land so they HAVE TO somehow do things right to get near waterlevel again.

@Xefi
Your avas and sigs are as nice as always. I've been a secret fan of your stuff even on PSOW since long ago.

In other news, I really like the NPCs this time. Best Phantasy Star NPCs so far, and the best of them has to be Lisa, the yangire voiced by Hanazawa Kana.
Old 2012-07-18, 14:02   Link #97
Sides

Quote:
Sakai confirmed that there won't be joined servers
Think the european, americas and the rest of western world will have joined servers.
Last thing I heard is that the korean guys will get their own version, if they are going to releaseit there.
Not sure about taiwan, hong kong, and the other south asian regions. Reckon they either get a separate server, or they will be incorporated into the japanese one. If that is the case, it would be highly likely that the japanese client will get english language support, that would be good news.

Btw PS02, can cause confusion, because there is a PS0 game on the NDS, but no PS02 yet
Old 2012-07-18, 21:21   Link #98
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
But I already said I'd play the JP version if I try it. Even for free, I don't want to hear bad western dubs and see more inconsistent romanizations and whatnot, let alone deal with SOA's nonsense. So it exists already as far as I'm concerned, I just haven't tried it yet.

I think he was calling me out for using a zero by mistake, lol. What little I played of PSZ was pretty okay. A 3DS sequel could be fun.

Edit: I was a lurker on PSOW myself, from the DC days onward, but rarely posted though. But I won a couple inflatable PSZ Rappies from the server shutdown PSOW send-off. That was fun. I also let my character spend their last moments relaxing at the hot springs with a good friend's character, just waiting together for the world to end. I could think of no better way to see them off.

Last edited by Ayu-ayu; 2012-07-18 at 21:31. Reason: PSOW, nostalgia
Old 2012-07-19, 06:34   Link #99
Sides

Quote:
I think he was calling me out for using a zero by mistake, lol. What little I played of PSZ was pretty okay. A 3DS sequel could be fun.

Edit: I was a lurker on PSOW myself, from the DC days onward, but rarely posted though. But I won a couple inflatable PSZ Rappies from the server shutdown PSOW send-off. That was fun. I also let my character spend their last moments relaxing at the hot springs with a good friend's character, just waiting together for the world to end. I could think of no better way to see them off.
A 3DS remake or sequel of PSZ would be great, love that game, despite the dated graphics, it didn't aged well.
PSO-World, I reckon anyone who played the DC, GCN, Xbox or PC versions has stumbled across that page/forum.
Old 2012-07-20, 04:48   Link #100
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
No, I was talking about the typo.