AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-11, 05:07   Link #1
Calca
Brina!

Every American 80s/early 90s sitcom could be a modern anime

For example take Family Matters. Suddenly Laura Winslow is a tsundere and Urkel is the love interest.

Boy Meets World. Weird outcast girl (Tobanga) suddenly worms her way into the male lead's heart (Cory)

Step By Step? Ya look at the household there.

Full House: Follow the antics of three cute sisters!

See how this so easily works?

Last edited by Calca; 2014-01-11 at 06:59.
Old 2014-01-11, 12:37   Link #2
sa547
*Author

It's called a Trope.
Old 2014-01-11, 14:18   Link #3
SuitUp
Sony Fanboy.

tvtropes.org
Go and read some, OP.
Old 2014-01-11, 22:11   Link #4
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Night Court Seeing anime characters from other animes going throw the court for things they done in there animes
Old 2014-01-12, 04:11   Link #5
Calca
Brina!

Tropes are not applicable here given the fact that tropes didn't exist 20 years ago. You're applying modern tropes and your website to your standards today as they are.

Try comparing the two things by themselves without thinking about tropes given they are two completely unrelated things separated by both time and culture.
Old 2014-01-12, 16:29   Link #6
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I wonder why people are raising tropes here? I mean, do people here really think that modern SoL anime is modeled after 80s/early 90s American sitcoms? Most similarities are going to be coincidental, so what's the point of raising tropes?

It makes sense to raise tropes if you're talking about similarities that are likely intentional on the part of the creators, because it means the trope as a life of its own worth focusing on. But in this case, I don't think that raising tropes adds much to the discussion.

I think what could be interesting is if we flip it around - I could totally see Tamako Market making a good 80s/early 90s American sitcom if it was set in the state of New York and everybody was given American names.
Old 2014-01-15, 23:12   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Nope, Tropes are very relevant, because "trope," aside from its original and very different literary meaning which nobody cares about, is modern internet parlance for themes, clichés, common plot threads, and Everything You Notice When You, Like, Do Anything At All With Fiction For A While.

Or, in other words, when you see similarities between American sitcoms and slice of life anime, guess what you are noticing...?

And if you really, really want to stretch your thinking like a proper literature professor, I am going to say that Tamako Market can totally make a good Shakespearean comedy play.

[Hint: it probably won't, but I can totally argue that and convince you anyway.]
Old 2014-01-15, 23:28   Link #8
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Or, in other words, when you see similarities between American sitcoms and slice of life anime, guess what you are noticing...?
You don't need tropes to understand that certain types of fictional content, and certain themes, hold universal appeal that transcend cultural boundaries.

Proper literature professors were able to notice cross-cultural similarities long before the term "trope" became popularized on the internet.

So no, I don't think they're necessarily as relevant here as you're arguing they are. They're an unnecessary middle-man that we can work perfectly fine without.

In my experience, tropes being brought up often limits discussion rather than stretching thinking.

I mean, what was accomplished by people just casually bringing up tropes on this thread without actually saying anything substantive to the specific topic that the OP wanted to discuss? It almost derailed this thread.
Old 2014-01-15, 23:36   Link #9
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

See, you're misunderstanding what tropes are, Triple_R. Tropes are what those English professors are talking about, except it is a new generation of internet lollygaggers, myself included, that are reinventing the wheel on a large scale and slapping witty titles on old themes, clichés, plot arcs, whatever, that are Older Than Steam, Older Than Dirt, and have plenty of Ur-Examples to draw from.

It's the giant internet melting pot way of slapping one funny label on just about every way we interact with fiction.

So if you really hate the word trope or whatever, fine, let's rephrase what people said to the OP: "You are noticing [a whole bunch of unspecified] common themes drawn from universal human experiences. For your convenience, we shall bring to your attention the virtual repository of human observations regarding said common themes. Enjoy." Means the same thing.
Old 2014-01-15, 23:57   Link #10
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
See, you're misunderstanding what tropes are, Triple_R.
No, I'm not misunderstanding them. I'm just saying that we don't need to bring them up to discuss what the OP wants to discuss.

Quote:
So if you really hate the word trope or whatever, fine, let's rephrase what people said to the OP: "You are noticing [a whole bunch of unspecified] common themes drawn from universal human experiences." Means the same thing.
No, it doesn't mean the same thing. Saying "go read up on tropes" doesn't say much of anything in and of itself.

"I want to talk about Paraguay" - Person A

"Check out this huge global directory available free online here (embedded link)." - Person B

Is Person B being helpful here? In a way, sure. But there's more efficient ways to address a specific interest in Paraguay than pointing someone to an absolutely huge directory on places around the world. I'm confident my analogy is pretty clear here.

And to your credit, you very succinctly hit the heart of the matter with just one sentence, and so that's much more effective and efficient than somebody simply saying "go read up on tropes".

In my opinion, bringing up tropes adds to discussions like this one only if there's reason to think that the writer is intentionally aiming for similarities, because then the trope isn't simply one way of describing what's happening, it's then in fact influencing what's happening at a meta-level.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2014-01-16 at 00:19. Reason: Adding in analogy.
Old 2014-01-16, 02:04   Link #11
SuitUp
Sony Fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, it doesn't mean the same thing. Saying "go read up on tropes" doesn't say much of anything in and of itself.
"I want to talk about Paraguay" - Person A
"Check out this huge global directory available free online here (embedded link)." - Person B
Is Person B being helpful here? In a way, sure. But there's more efficient ways to address a specific interest in Paraguay than pointing someone to an absolutely huge directory on places around the world. I'm confident my analogy is pretty clear here.
But that's not the case here, this particular thread was more akin to:
"Have you ever noticed that Franco's regime represive strategies could be used by any Latin american dictatorship?" - Person A.
"Go and read on treatment of political enemies in dictatorships (embeded link)" - Person B.
Wich, granted, it's not a great response, but the theme of the thread itself wasn't great for any good arguments to be made, proved by the above responses, wich basically boil down to "tropes are universal and found in every form of fiction, neat".
Old 2014-01-16, 03:20   Link #12
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Well, that didn't take long for the thread to be derailed into pointless reductionisms.

To the OP, yes.....because it is storytelling, anime can be any story. Fun how that works. In other news, water is wet.

Thread closed.