AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-03-24, 09:37   Link #41
lady hoshi

Send a message via AIM to lady hoshi
thanx guys.. it all tooks great
*smile*

how beautiful are the stars, looking back through time? the endless wandering of my mind contented in the endless sky, i dream the world a whole new one where love and justice find no hateful face and envelope this heart leaving no trace of my deep and painful sorrow for humanity.
lady hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 13:20   Link #42
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Is it just me or have the spoiler tags that are in new posts just after the recent update session (roughly 55 minutes ago from this post) stopped working? All of the spoilers that are in posts before the update are working. But the ones in new posts after the update are not.

Clicking on these new spoilers doesn't reveal the spoilers but if you edit the post, the tags are in place properly around the spoiler text.

???

Example:

Spoiler for test:

The above has "This is a test." within the spoiler tags but clicking on the button does not show it...

GHDPro has fixed this two posts down Thank you.

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-03-24 at 20:16. Reason: Bug is fixed
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 13:58   Link #43
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

humm

Spoiler:

This guy speek true.
Old 2004-03-24, 14:05   Link #44
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Answer: We're not in Kansas anymore.

A few hours ago this forum was vB v3.0 RC 4, now it's vB v3.0 "Gold".
For some ULTRA STUPID REASON, the scripts insert a "<b></b>" tag
right in the middle of the Javascript that makes the spoiler tag work.

I'll have to look into WTF it does that...

Edit: ARGH! Why is LESS equal to MORE when it comes to my
spoiler tags? I've removed again a bit from the spoiler tags and
now they're working again!

Seems like it's not necessary to do OnClick="javascript: [ code ]"
but that just OnClick="[ code ]" will work quite well too (again tested
on all browsers).

Last edited by GHDpro; 2004-03-24 at 14:16.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 14:15   Link #45
SirJeannot
AT Field

Spoiler:
aaa

Edit by NoSanninWa: You misused the size tags. I fixed them for you. Now that they are correct some truly weird behaviour becomes evident in Opera although it seems to work perfectly in IE6.

GHDPro: What can you say about this bug? If there is no easy way to fix it, don't worry about it. I doubt anyone will ever create such a problem unless they are testing...

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-03-24 at 18:05.
SirJeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 21:51   Link #46
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Could an alternative of the spoiler tag be created for displaying images so that instead of saying "Spoiler:" it would say "Image:"? This would be particularly useful in image posting threads.
Old 2007-02-04, 10:28   Link #47
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Regarding Spoiler Tags

Can the color be changed to just the normal color of the rest of the post. The border should suffice as an indicator. It's a little annoying seeing multiple background colors on text makes it a little annoying to read too, when faced with a nice big chunk of content.

Also is the current behaviour...
Spoiler:
@ ElvenPath

An expansion on the idea, instead of creating a new tag how about modifying an old one, namely the IMG tag. It's very unlikely that people will bother to write some tag, and most likely they'll just copy/paste a tag code in the forum.

The modification will be this, instead of displaying an image it displays the name of the image and 3 buttons. One to open the image in a new window. One to open the image in the forum. And one to open all such tags on the page in the forum, displaying them as image tags.

For the special cases where people really need it to just display the image, we can have another tag or just have the IMG tag with an option e.g. [img="1"] -- just displays the image )

This would prevent the forum from becoming an image board or deter any attempt in that direction besides being very convenient.

Troublesome to fix issues: Linked images (like Thumbnails), Signatures (a lil' confusion)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Haha... well just throwing an idea in
Old 2007-02-04, 13:17   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A lot of people seem confused in that they seem to think putting an image into a spoiler block somehow "protects" viewers from the bandwidth hit. I've been on dialup and had to wait minutes for a page to appear because some moron put 4 or 5 pics inside a spoiler tag in a "non" image thread.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 13:21   Link #49
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ The Small One
> "For what reason?"
To save load times...
> "There is nothing you gain by it. The image is loaded anyways, and most of the images aren't even large enough to break the page layout."
From your POV they don't, but other people using other screen/window might not agree.
And intreting enough browsers like Opera won't load things unless they are visible, so if you place an image in a spoiler tag Opera won't load it. As a concequence of this behaviour animation sequences will reset when you scroll up and down. Since visible for Opera = you see them; thus the sequece would go in and out of view, and get re-rendered as you bring it back into view.
> "Do I understand it correct: You want to have the same background color, and you don't want the border? So how do you differentiate then?"
Yes, I want the dark grey to go away. And as for the border that was just an extra thought (since I find them intrusive).
Also you have the wrong idea concerning that, I mearly suggested to loose the left and right, and just leave the top and bottom.
> "BTW, I don't think it's this bad. After all it's just a little difference in the color."
You are using the AnimeSuki style I presume.
In the Vb styles it's a big lightblue style breaking square, in the animesuki style it's a darkgrey one, I find it hard to read with that contrast.

@ Vexx

Use Opera.
And that's precisly why I suggested re-thinking the image tag.
Old 2007-02-04, 14:27   Link #50
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I happen to know this thread existed.
I posted here rather then creating a new thread.
> "Browsers like Opera? Or do you maybe mean "only Opera"?"
There is a chance some othe browser may behave the same.
> "I think it's the same color, the quote-tag uses."
The quote tag isn't suppose to be part of the content you are reading, more like a hind to the direction of what is being said. I read threads A to Z so I very very rarely need to read quote tags, other then scraping a few words out of them. Since they're not a bother to me I don't feel like making a fuss about it...
Old 2007-02-04, 17:28   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
@ Vexx

Use Opera.
And that's precisly why I suggested re-thinking the image tag.
Lemme know when Opera runs natively under Linux (multi-platform).
Old 2007-02-05, 02:11   Link #52
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Consider yourself informed that it runs under Sparc, PowerPC and i386. I don't know if that includes your platform.

http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?custom=yes

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 11:37   Link #53
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Um, I don't know where this conversation is going...

For one thing, I don't know if people really think that putting image tags inside the spoiler tags reduces the bandwidth usage. People use it so people who don't care for those images don't have to see them. Having so many large images in regular post makes it a bit harder to navigate within the page. Some people may just like the control of seeing and not seeing the images at will.

Anyway. I don't know how using Opera solves the situation at all. Does Opera actually delay the download of images until they're displayed, if the section of the page is not displayed? (Like via javascript/css)

What might help all clients is to make an option that spoiler tag work with ajax. A feature like this needs to be requested to the vB programmers, not the mods here. (Maybe we can convince the mods here to submit a request as a team?)
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 12:07   Link #54
xris
Just call me Ojisan

People place images in spoiler tags for a number of reasons, for example they may do so because...

* They actualy want to hide the image because it might be a spoiler.

* It's a large image (in pixles) and so it might mess up the thread layout due to it's width.

* The want to post a large number of images so having them in a spoiler helps the layout of the post (allows the post to be read without scrolling all over the place).

* They think "hiding" the image in spoiler tags helps with bandwidth without realising that all the images are downloaded even if the spoiler tag is never opened. I've seen a number of posters who have stated this as a reason for doing so.

* Combinations of the above as well as many other reasons I'm sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
Anyway. I don't know how using Opera solves the situation at all. Does Opera actually delay the download of images until they're displayed, if the section of the page is not displayed? (Like via javascript/css)
Could anyone here confirm if Opera really does this (i.e not download images in spoiler tags until the tag is opened). I would also be surprised if this was the case. I don't see how Opera can do this, it may be possible but I would be surprised if it really works the way Cats seems to think it does.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 12:16   Link #55
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
What might help all clients is to make an option that spoiler tag work with ajax. A feature like this needs to be requested to the vB programmers, not the mods here. (Maybe we can convince the mods here to submit a request as a team?)
Oh, then I had to say bye bye to spoilers (I don't allow Ajax in my browser)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 12:20   Link #56
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Could anyone here confirm if Opera really does this...
I believe I can, at least as well as anyone who hasn't actually looked at Opera's source code. Having watched server logs, it appears that Opera doesn't download page elements (i.e. images in this case) that are not visible until they become so and are actually needed to render the page.
Old 2007-02-05, 12:29   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Consider yourself informed that it runs under Sparc, PowerPC and i386. I don't know if that includes your platform.

http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?custom=yes
wow... don't know how I missed that (wandered around the Opera site for a while and was inundated with "For Windows" links only).

Well... I'll give it a shot since I used to use Opera before Firefox (I'm a tab fanatic) ... but I'd like to see some reference that Opera actually does defer downloading "invisible" stuff like tags (that would be somewhat amazing to me). More often you'll see extensions that start pre-downloading everything the page even pretends to link to.

edit: and of course, Nightwish comes up with some clues that it does do that.
Old 2007-02-05, 15:22   Link #58
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

> "What might help all clients is to make an option that spoiler tag work with ajax. A feature like this needs to be requested to the vB programmers, not the mods here. (Maybe we can convince the mods here to submit a request as a team?)"
Why?! do you have problems loading text?

Personally I only use spoiler tags as visual blockers, so I don't accidentally spam people visually.

@ xris
> "Could anyone here confirm if Opera really does this"
To see it in action just go to something like the Post your desktop thread, wait for it to load completely then click on a spoiler tag with a wally, see how it loads up. It even states it's being downloaded in the address bar.

Would I lie to you?
Old 2007-02-05, 16:45   Link #59
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Would I lie to you?
lol.. I also confirm that the images that are hidden in spoiler tags don't seem to load in Opera until the "show" button is clicked on. The Opera users are so l33t.
Old 2007-02-06, 00:51   Link #60
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I can also now confirm that Opera only loads page elements whenever the spoiler tag is actually open (this is more than just images, I tested on the heavily YouTube embedded Rate that OP/ED thread).

Wow, really neat.