AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-ON! The Movie - Rating
Perfect 10 44 51.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 28.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.18%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-20, 20:26   Link #161
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The Azunyan trio had quite a few episode to themselves in season two, and secondary characters most often exist for a reason. To serve as contrasts, to show that the story of the main characters is not the only story happening in a universe, to flesh out the cast. Secondary characters are of just as much purpose as main ones in any situation.
I agree, I rather like the trio as well - I consider them as main characters because they are taking over once the original characters head off to college~

I think the secondary characters are the other classmates - we barely see them do anything, so if it's a movie about them (oh, please no~), then we have a problem
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline  
Old 2010-10-20, 20:33   Link #162
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The Azunyan trio had quite a few episode to themselves in season two, and secondary characters most often exist for a reason. To serve as contrasts, to show that the story of the main characters is not the only story happening in a universe, to flesh out the cast. Secondary characters are of just as much purpose as main ones in any situation.
Yup, and as s2 progress, they also make more appearance and slowly build their existence. Even Jun is featured as the life-size poster of the 4th Blu-ray
Ryonea is offline  
Old 2010-10-20, 21:34   Link #163
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I just hope Azusa trio doesn't get MORE screen time than the beginning four. I'd be really disappointed. I want to see them more than I wanna see the other three! :P
bloppyblue is offline  
Old 2010-10-20, 21:36   Link #164
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
I just hope Azusa trio doesn't get MORE screen time than the beginning four. I'd be really disappointed. I want to see them more than I wanna see the other three! :P
Immensely agree - the comedy between the original 4 was just so much better than the new 3~ However, I want to see them all together
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline  
Old 2010-10-20, 21:37   Link #165
Forte
The IV th Numerals
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Anywhere. Just passing by though...
Send a message via Yahoo to Forte
I'm really sorry if this one had been posted already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangajet
This time new information of the movie “K-on!” has been disclosed!! According to the information, the movie “K-on!” will draw the sequel to “K-on!!”(the 2nd season)!
The red line says <The movie “K-on!” will draw Yui and the other members who graduated and Azusa and other younger members after “K-on!!”>. In short, the movie “K-on!” will be a sequel to a story.
Since the announcement of the movie this is the first information about the movie. K-on!’s fans are glad to hear that the movie will not be a summary of the entire episodes.
Source: http://mangajet.com/2010/10/the-movi...-to-the-story/

It seems that the movie is the continuation of season 2...
__________________
Forte is offline  
Old 2010-10-20, 21:39   Link #166
Kagayaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Age: 24
Lol we're so excited about this that now we have the same link 3 times in 2 pages.
__________________
Kagayaki is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 02:41   Link #167
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The Azunyan trio had quite a few episode to themselves in season two, and secondary characters most often exist for a reason. To serve as contrasts, to show that the story of the main characters is not the only story happening in a universe, to flesh out the cast. Secondary characters are of just as much purpose as main ones in any situation.
Of course. But that doesn't mean they are strong enough characters to carry a movie or a series by themselves. Because they're not.
Goggen is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 06:27   Link #168
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
lol, I guess some people unconsciously treat HTT as the 4+1 format instead of 5, huh? ^^;
No need to worry about the new Keionbu since the main character is still Yui, right?

It would be interesting if all 7 of them collaborate. We'll have 2 guitars, 2 basses, 1 keyboard and 1 organ (or similar instruments), and 1 drum. lol, would that work? XD

just my wild fantasy, so never mind
Ryonea is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 06:54   Link #169
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
lol, I guess some people unconsciously treat HTT as the 4+1 format instead of 5, huh? ^^;
No need to worry about the new Keionbu since the main character is still Yui, right?
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is; HTT Keionbu = fun, interesting characters and group dynamics. New Keionbu = uninteresting characters and group dynamics.
Goggen is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 06:56   Link #170
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is; HTT Keionbu = fun, interesting characters and group dynamics. New Keionbu = uninteresting characters and group dynamics.
I know that, it's just sometimes that impression slip through my mind XD Don't mind about my post
Ryonea is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 07:29   Link #171
NakanoAzusa
KeiOnBu Bucho
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Now , a sequel?? Isnt that the most gorgeous hope I ever heard!!!I would love for all of them to be as HTT!! Afterall, its them what make this series yes??

Be singing with my soul!!!!!!!!!
__________________
NakanoAzusa is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 08:33   Link #172
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is; HTT Keionbu = fun, interesting characters and group dynamics. New Keionbu = uninteresting characters and group dynamics.
That isn't really fair. We've only seen Captain Nakano and the Redshirt Band perform just once, and they were background music for the original four making their exit, stage left. Before that, the only one of them we get to see developed in any meaningful detail is Azusa . . . but let's face it, she never becomes completely integrated into the core unit of Ritsu/Mio/Mugi/Yui. There always seemed to be this faint, lingering, sense of outsider-ness around Azusa (or, why her screentime in the series has to be padded out with her interaction with her friends outside the club.)

And as for Azusa's friends . . . well, they're redshirts. Ui's character is wholly defined by her relationship with her sister. Jun's character is wholly defined by her jealousy of the Sakura High Light Music Club. Otherwise, we don't ever really get to see them.

If the situation were reversed, and all of K-On! focused on Captain Nakano and her redshirts, instead of the Hokago Tea Time girls . . . all we'd really know of HTT is that it had an oujou-sama with big eyebrows, a sugar-overdosed ditz, a genki tomboy, and a shy moeblob. That, and they were all Azusa's seniors. I don't know about you, but if K-On! had been about Azusa and her band with HTT only getting passing mention, I'd have probably dismissed HTT as the "Anime Cliche Band," and would've made posts on this forum on how glad I was that they didn't make K-On! about them. Their zany group dynamics wouldn't have been nearly as interesting to hear about after-the-fact, as they are when we're being shown them, as they're happening.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 08:52   Link #173
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
And as for Azusa's friends . . . well, they're redshirts. Ui's character is wholly defined by her relationship with her sister. Jun's character is wholly defined by her jealousy of the Sakura High Light Music Club.
But, see.... that's exactly my point. I'm sure they could've been interesting characters IF they had been the focus of the show and IF they had been given any defining characteristics outside of how they relate to the main characters. But they weren't. So they're not. And it's too late to do anything about it now. At this point they've been firmly established as, as you say; "redshirts", with few distinguishing traits. To suddenly impose any new character traits into them at this point would just ring false and no matter what those traits were, they would seem out of character ("Why did they never act this way before?"). That is why I shudder every time I see someone post about how "Season 3 should totally be about Azusa and the new band!!"... No. Just no.
Goggen is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 09:07   Link #174
Chimuts
Call me Anego!~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a room as blue as the sky, as cool as the autumn wind and as quiet as the desert
Send a message via MSN to Chimuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
But, see.... that's exactly my point. I'm sure they could've been interesting characters IF they had been the focus of the show and IF they had been given any defining characteristics outside of how they relate to the main characters. But they weren't. So they're not. And it's too late to do anything about it now. At this point they've been firmly established as, as you say; "redshirts", with few distinguishing traits. To suddenly impose any new character traits into them at this point would just ring false and no matter what those traits were, they would seem out of character ("Why did they never act this way before?"). That is why I shudder every time I see someone post about how "Season 3 should totally be about Azusa and the new band!!"... No. Just no.
It's as you said, and furthermore, from the beginning, the story revolves around the Keionbu and its 4 members, with Azusa joining them a year after the band was established. supporting characters like Ui and Jun are there so that the story will not be boring, and they are needed to complete the cast. Imagine if Ui is not there, or if Jun is not there, the cast would feel empty, no? Even as supporting characters they have important roles to play. And if they were made the main character from he beginning, the same point will arise, only this time people will want Yui, Mio, Ritsu, and Mugi to be made as main character.

I had hoped for a season 3 rather than a movie though...
__________________
Chimuts is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 10:49   Link #175
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
But, see.... that's exactly my point. I'm sure they could've been interesting characters IF they had been the focus of the show and IF they had been given any defining characteristics outside of how they relate to the main characters. But they weren't. So they're not. And it's too late to do anything about it now.
This is what is known as "character development." If you had a movie or third season focused on Azusa's light music club, it would follow that the former redshirts would have a chance to emerge from the shadows of HTT and become actual characters through exploration of the facets of their personality that have nothing to do with HTT. The chief problem with this being that the fans expect K-On! to be about the girls of Houkago Tea Time.

Quote:
At this point they've been firmly established as, as you say; "redshirts", with few distinguishing traits. To suddenly impose any new character traits into them at this point would just ring false and no matter what those traits were, they would seem out of character ("Why did they never act this way before?").
The answer to "Why did they never act this way before?" would be "Because the focus on the show was on Yui and HTT, so we never got a chance to see them act under circumstances unrelated to Yui or her band of comic mischief-makers."

Quote:
That is why I shudder every time I see someone post about how "Season 3 should totally be about Azusa and the new band!!"... No. Just no.
This is the chief reason there won't be a third season, and the movie isn't likely to focus on the Redshirt Band. The fans would be gathered outside of Kyoto Animation HQ with torches and pitchforks if KyoAni dared make K-On! be anything about anyone other than the girls of Houkago Tea Time. Which, from a certain point of view, is rather unfortunate . . . as the show's title is "K-On!" a pun on "keionbu," and isn't "HTT: Japanese Schoolgirl Squad."

Mind you, I, personally, am not advocating an Azusa-centric continuation of the series. I'd be much happier with the movie focused on the girls of Houkago Tea Time.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 12:27   Link #176
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
This is what is known as "character development." If you had a movie or third season focused on Azusa's light music club, it would follow that the former redshirts would have a chance to emerge from the shadows of HTT and become actual characters through exploration of the facets of their personality that have nothing to do with HTT.
Well, I guess I'm just thinking there are no "facets of their personality" aside from their interaction with HTT and to invent some after all this time would be too abrupt of a change.

Quote:
The chief problem with this being that the fans expect K-On! to be about the girls of Houkago Tea Time.
A reasonable expectation, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
The answer to "Why did they never act this way before?" would be "Because the focus on the show was on Yui and HTT, so we never got a chance to see them act under circumstances unrelated to Yui or her band of comic mischief-makers."
And that would be a problem, should they attempt to bring these characters to the forefront now. If say, they tried to establish Jun as an orange juice addict or something, it just wouldn't feel believable. "Why is she suddenly an orange juice addict now?" Yes of course logically that is because we've never seen her within a context where that would be apparent. And yet, if that had been intended to be an actual aspect of her character, it would have had to have been introduced at an earlier point. By now, she's been written as a flat minor character for so long that if they suddenly started trying to develop her character, it would be hard to take it seriously. And that's even more true in the case of Ui, who's had a considerable amount of screen time already, all the while displaying little personality outside of being the perfect little sister. It's not that they have had too little screen time - it's that within the time they've had, they've been firmly established as characters with little personality.

Quote:
Which, from a certain point of view, is rather unfortunate . . . as the show's title is "K-On!" a pun on "keionbu," and isn't "HTT: Japanese Schoolgirl Squad."
Of course, a title is just a title. K-On is and has always been about the characters. I suspect you'll agree with me on this one.

Last edited by Goggen; 2010-10-21 at 12:29. Reason: I suck.
Goggen is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 12:39   Link #177
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
K-ON! lives on through its characters, yes. However, it's not just one group of characters that make the show - it's the collaborated effort of ALL the characters that make it so great.

Ergo, I hope the movie will focus on both sides of the HTT circle. Of course, the original 4 are still funnier than the new 3, in my opinion, so I hope we see our fair share of the original 4 (which we will).

If it IS a continuation, then we can't expect either group to be missing from this - they'll both be focused on. The only thing I wish for here is to see the new HTT play at some point, and something original, not Fuwa Fuwa Time (oh please, not Fuwa Fuwa Time again...).
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 13:33   Link #178
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
K-ON! lives on through its characters, yes. However, it's not just one group of characters that make the show - it's the collaborated effort of ALL the characters that make it so great.

Ergo, I hope the movie will focus on both sides of the HTT circle. Of course, the original 4 are still funnier than the new 3, in my opinion, so I hope we see our fair share of the original 4 (which we will).

If it IS a continuation, then we can't expect either group to be missing from this - they'll both be focused on. The only thing I wish for here is to see the new HTT play at some point, and something original, not Fuwa Fuwa Time (oh please, not Fuwa Fuwa Time again...).
I agree with this. I think it's a given that the movie should - and will - feature all the characters from the series. And I really can't see them making a K-On movie and not have HTT perform new material in it (gotta sell those CD's, y'know...)

EDIT: Oh, you said "the new HTT" by which I assume you mean the new keionbu. HTT is still Mio+Yui+Ritsu+Mugi+Azusa, which is the group we can be relatively certain will perform in the movie. As for Captain Nakano and the Redshirt Band, I really don't know what we can expect there. I'm curious, though.

Last edited by Goggen; 2010-10-21 at 13:40. Reason: Misread.
Goggen is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 13:42   Link #179
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
I agree with this. I think it's a given that the movie should - and will - feature all the characters from the series. And I really can't see them making a K-On movie and not have HTT perform new material in it (gotta sell those CD's, y'know...)

EDIT: Oh, you said "the new HTT" by which I assume you mean the new keionbu. HTT is still Mio+Yui+Ritsu+Mugi+Azusa, which is the group we can be relatively certain will perform in the movie. As for Captain Nakano and the Redshirt Band, I really don't know what we can expect there. I'm curious, though.
Heck, I got no complaints about new CDs^.^

And maybe I should stop calling them the new HTT, instead they are the new keionbu I wonder what they'll call themselves. It seems they'll play some lighter stuff, considering Ui doesn't have an electronic keyboard (to our knowledge at least), and there's only Azusa and Jun after that. They also still need a drummer
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline  
Old 2010-10-21, 13:45   Link #180
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
It seems they'll play some lighter stuff, considering Ui doesn't have an electronic keyboard
In fact; does she have any keyboard at all? I assumed she was using Mugi's in 26...
Goggen is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.