AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your impression of the movie - A Wakening of the Trailblazer
091 - 100: Amazing 78 24.30%
081 - 090: Great 66 20.56%
071 - 080: Very Good 46 14.33%
061 - 070: Good 50 15.58%
051 - 060: Average 24 7.48%
041 - 050: Below Average 16 4.98%
031 - 040: Bad 6 1.87%
021 - 030: Very Bad 4 1.25%
011 - 020: Awful 10 3.12%
001 - 010: You would rather watch Britney Spears exposing her crotch. *shudder* 21 6.54%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-04, 21:14   Link #481
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Sadly these are rare and may i say you just upped the ante for my post later on tonight.
I'm looking forward to it Kaioshin.
Old 2011-01-04, 21:33   Link #482
ReddyRedWolf

When you think about it ELS are pretty much like Eureka 7's Scub Coral. Only in this case humanity was prompt in its response and did not need to abandon Earth.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 21:34   Link #483
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

I give up...
Old 2011-01-04, 23:12   Link #484
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
I give up...
I don't know I think its kind of hilarious. I mean ever since I've posted my rules almost every other post has subscribed to at least one of them. Besides there have been lower points in the thread.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 23:40   Link #485
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Okay guys, so what are your 'Negative' thoughts about this movie?

I mean seriously, imagine that we put some musics from 'Inception' as a BGM.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 23:45   Link #486
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

after watching the movie i still dunno whats the story about?? wtf are those metallic stuff and the giant flower thing?
Old 2011-01-04, 23:52   Link #487
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
I give up...
Give it a rest, man. When you are older, you would be reminded of the old stuffs when you look at those "new things", so it's not surprising that people will try to compare it to what they already knew.

I just happened to watch the old horror movie with my friends, "One missed call" (2003). The same thing happen as with Gundam 00 movie, while it was intense for most of the movie, once the ending came up, there were immediately 2 kind of arguments. One is the movie suck, because they can't understand the meaning behind it, and one is it's great for what it is. Guess what? After explained everything, and then they understood the mysteries, they started to think the movie is good.

Most of the argument about why the movie suck that I can gather in this thread can only sum in one word, pathetic. It's either about the shipping, can't understand shit going on, no after movie scene for their favorite character, or just no reasons at all. Mind you, I'm talking about the "the movie suck" post, not those that actually gave out fairly point (like Descartes' role, abrupt ending when the battle is reaching climax, Quanta's screentime for all the hype, etc). Why don't people try to sit down, and calmly watching the movie while think about the meaning behind it? It's not about the conflicting between human anymore, and they are not afraid of trying different approach to the way of ending a war. "Understanding each other" has been around since the day Gundam was born. It just they was brought up differently each time, but it's still limited among human.

Lastly, and maybe off-topic a bit, I'm really curious about what make Gundam Unicorn better than this movie as some people claimed it to be. As I have watched both, I have different feeling toward both show, each has their up and downside, but I can't tell why Unicorn is better than 00, so would anyone mind enlightening me? I'm not trying to pick a fight, remember.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:02   Link #488
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Knight View Post
after watching the movie i still dunno whats the story about?? wtf are those metallic stuff and the giant flower thing?
... the metallic stuff is an alien life form and the giant flower thing represents peace.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:06   Link #489
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post

Lastly, and maybe off-topic a bit, I'm really curious about what make Gundam Unicorn better than this movie as some people claimed it to be. As I have watched both, I have different feeling toward both show, each has their up and downside, but I can't tell why Unicorn is better than 00, so would anyone mind enlightening me? I'm not trying to pick a fight, remember.
In general for me the dialogue is stronger and smarter (there are no easy answers), there's a huge legacy of prior UC shows and characters that it pulls upon to construct it's narrative, the fights are extremely well animated by comparison (though Gundam 00's are well-animated in a different sort of way) and have a lot of detail put into them (for example there's a scene where a limb is chopped off of a RE-Zel and it starts flipping end over end through space and travels right past another characters mobile suit and into the background of the cockpits camera), the soundtrack is simply put amazing and captivating, the character designs are extremely detailed, more so than anything I've seen in a long time in fact.

Where I differ from the majority of the Gundam fandom of today it seems is that I don't feel I need to have a pick a particular series or OVA (even though I have favourites) and then hold every other Gundam show to that standard or else arbitrarily determine that it sucks and is a disappointment. Basically I'm not going to pit the different continuities against each other for no good reason since I'm a fan of the franchise, not of just one or two shows. I want to enjoy every part of it as much as I possibly can and I realize that the different continuities appeal to different age groups and demographics in Japan and I am perfectly okay with this as long as the continuity in question is capable of supporting it's own narrative weight. I've always felt that Gundam 00 has achieved that goal for the most part and that even though it's not as strong and engrossing as Unicorn has been for me so far that there's still lots too enjoy.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:11   Link #490
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

You know, now that I think about it, the big problem with everyone's reactions seems to be that they either didn't watch the trailers and went into it expecting a traditional conflict, or just saw "Gundam" and thought "why not?" and were caught completely by surprise. The fact that one of the posters above didn't even know what "that metallic stuff" was or the symbolism behind the flower tells me that they either didn't fully pay attention in the movie or weren't trying to understand the movie.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:22   Link #491
Throne Zwei
Londo Bell Taskforce

Quote:
You know, now that I think about it, the big problem with everyone's reactions seems to be that they either didn't watch the trailers and went into it expecting a traditional conflict, or just saw "Gundam" and thought "why not?" and were caught completely by surprise. The fact that one of the posters above didn't even know what "that metallic stuff" was or the symbolism behind the flower tells me that they either didn't fully pay attention in the movie or weren't trying to understand the movie.
These kinds of reactions remind me of the days when people got into Gundam through Wing when it aired on Cartoon Network. They wanted more Wing but when CN aired MSG most people got turned off.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:26   Link #492
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Zwei View Post
They wanted more Wing but when CN aired MSG most people got turned off.
Well admittedly MSG is rather slow-paced in the beginning, so people weren't sticking around long enough to really get into it.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:30   Link #493
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I've kind of noticed that too actually. I'm pretty sure the movie explains it all quite concisely though so I really don't understand all the rampant confusion. I don't want to accuse people of not actually watching and paying attention to the movie, but I had absolutely no trouble following the story whatsoever so I don't know what gives. This does not qualify as a complicated movie in my book and I'd argue it's straightforward almost to a fault.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:38   Link #494
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
This does not qualify as a complicated movie in my book and I'd argue it's straightforward almost to a fault.
Actually that was probably deliberate. First of all the writers had to keep in mind that there's always a chance it will be seen by people who aren't familiar with the series proper; the fact that it was released in theaters makes it even more likely. Secondly, they only had about two hours to tell the story, so they couldn't exactly throw in more complicated plot points, which is one of the reasons I'm so annoyed with the Setsuna/Feldt. If it actually went somewhere and wasn't so completely one-sided I wouldn't have minded as much, but really all they did was burn nearly half an hour of the movie's length.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:42   Link #495
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
You know, this is a pretty good point. I will admit that the movie is unforgiving in its reintroduction of characters, weapons, themes, etc. From the POV of someone that has watched the entire series twice and many of the key points multiple times, this was perfect for me. Little to no time was wasted on getting the viewer up to speed, meant more time for everything else. For casual fans or for people that decided to watch the movie before the series, I'm sure they're confused as all hell.
Old 2011-01-05, 01:12   Link #496
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
All right, continued from last post that some people replies from what I've posted yesterday where some things that NEVER explained. I mean good god, this is gonna hurt.

1. Why did they introduce the Nena and Anew lookalikes if they are not going to tell us who they are and their purpose? How are the Innovades coping with living among normal people? Do the people even know they are not human, and if so, they are really taking it a lot better than I expected. Also, why did they introduce Descartes as a new Innovator, only to kill him off unceremoniously without him having done much to advance the plot?

2. I really felt that the ELS species as a whole could use better explanation. How exactly are they trying to understand humanity if the assimilation process kills everyone? The girl who was assimilated by the Ribbons ELS was miraculously healed by the epilogue and became a true innovator. So is the assimilation reversible, and how does it affect people, because many have definitely died from it. Was Setsuna assimilated also and evolved into a hybrid?

3. The Gundams itself, I can see that Setsuna and Lockon used a Flag to save Marina, in order to avoid identifying themselves as Celestial Being. But what about Dynames? Why was Dynames repaired and used for 20 seconds, but never mentioned again? They could have used either the Flag or even Zabanya.

4. About the epilogue, they detailed what happened to the assimilated girl, Marina, and even Klaus. But they did not mention what happened to everyone else. I, for one, would have liked to see what happened to Feldt and the others. I mean really?!

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-01-05 at 01:35.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 01:27   Link #497
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
1. Why did they introduce the Nena and Anew lookalikes if they are not going to tell us who they are and their purpose? How are the Innovades coping with living among normal people? Do the people even know they are not human, and if so, they are really taking it a lot better than I expected. Also, why did they introduce Descartes as a new Innovator, only to kill him off unceremoniously without him having done much to advance the plot?
Anew was an Innovade. There's thousands of people over the world who looks like her. The one in the movie was like a secretary. Why giver her such a big role. The Nena lookalike wasn't used in any capacity where her purpose needed to be explained. And for the record, the was an astrophysicist spearheading the research on the ELS. I agree with you on Descartes.

Quote:
2. I really felt that the ELS species as a whole could use better explanation. How exactly are they trying to understand humanity if the assimilation process kills everyone? The girl who was assimilated by the Ribbons ELS was miraculously healed by the epilogue and became a true innovator. So is the assimilation reversible, and how does it affect people, because many have definitely died from it. Was Setsuna assimilated also and evolved into a hybrid?
There was an explanation; you just seemed to have missed it: They didn't know they were killing humanity or why we were being hostile; that's why they wanted to understand us. The girl wasn't miraculously healed: She became half-ELS. And assimilation isn't reversible. Setsuna wasn't assimilated either: He became an Innovator-ELS hybrid. No it wasn't explained, but did it really need to be?

Quote:
3. The Gundams itself, I can see that Setsuna and Lockon used a Flag to save Marina, in order to avoid identifying themselves as Celestial Being. But what about Dynames? Why was Dynames repaired and used for 20 seconds, but never mentioned again? They could have used either the Flag or even Zabanya.
Why commission a full GN Drive for a rescue mission? It was the same with the Flag: Why use a GN Drive when one isn't needed?

Quote:
4. About the epilogue, they detailed what happened to the assimilated girl, Marina, and even Klaus. But they did not mention what happened to everyone else. I, for one, would have liked to see what happened to Feldt and the others. I mean really?!
I agree with you there, but again: Does it really matter in the long run?
Old 2011-01-05, 01:29   Link #498
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Well it is clear that the movie was geared towards people who have already seen all 50 episodes of S1 and S2 in its entirety to get who the characters are and the general gist of the setting, which is why it doesn't spend any time in reintroducing the characters or the setting. For the people who have seen the series in its entirety though, I don't see any reason for the confusion in the movie, with its plot being relatively simplistic by movie standards. Hell they emphasize the key points just to make sure they get across, like the assimilating nature of the ELS, and their intentions at the end.

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 01:34   Link #499
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Well it is clear that the movie was geared towards people who have already seen all 50 episodes of S1 and S2 in its entirety to get who the characters are and the general gist of the setting, which is why it doesn't spend any time in reintroducing the characters or the setting. For the people who have seen the series in its entirety though, I don't see any reason for the confusion in the movie, with its plot being relatively simplistic by movie standards. Hell they emphasize the key points just to make sure they get across, like the assimilating nature of the ELS, and their intentions at the end.
Agreed. Like I said earlier: I think most people just saw "Gundam movie" and thought "Eh, why not?". They seem to be ignoring that it's "Gundam 00 the Movie".
Old 2011-01-05, 01:41   Link #500
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
For the people who have seen the series in its entirety though, I don't see any reason for the confusion in the movie, with its plot being relatively simplistic by movie standards.
You mean the people who pay attention to the movie and the series, because I still see people miss out several key details that was mentioned in the movie, yet they pick out those that's trivial.