AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-06, 05:41   Link #641
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

You're not gonna try and make me do that again, are you?
Maybe I should just avoid this thread until I catch up (which, at the rate things are going, may be never again).

Old 2010-12-06, 06:55   Link #642
Father Hentai

Naw. I tried to quote but search function does not like me at the moment.

Going back to Episode 8. 80% Fan service and filler episode in my eyes. Let's get to the next episode.
Old 2010-12-06, 09:35   Link #643
wisteria233

Wow already at episode 8? I better catch up
Old 2010-12-06, 16:10   Link #644
moncikoma

Episode 8 is quite interesting, we can see vf - 1j displayed, and sheryl's underwear.

The only thing which is bad is the animation... It is so bad...
Old 2010-12-06, 18:19   Link #645
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You're not gonna try and make me do that again, are you?
Maybe I should just avoid this thread until I catch up (which, at the rate things are going, may be never again).
How about you skip ahead to the current episode whenever you can join in again? It'd be sad to lose you in the discussion.
Old 2010-12-06, 19:28   Link #646
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

WARNING - PEDANTIC NIT-PICKING AND EXCESSIVE GEEKITRY AHEAD:

Spoiler for You've been warned.:
Old 2010-12-07, 08:16   Link #647
moncikoma

MACROSS VF-X2

never knew it exsisted....
Old 2010-12-07, 10:25   Link #648
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
They're wrong.
LOL...though that may well be me - I'd intended to check it before posting, but didn't have time (though I will when I summarise the commentaries properly for reference, whenever that turns out to be). Good to know at any rate

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-12-07, 23:21   Link #649
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

I think this really says all that needs to be said about the shower scene:

Old 2010-12-08, 10:56   Link #650
Lancel

Psh. Fairy-Nine does not require Nanase's size to accomplish her objectives. They may just get in the way of her dance moves and throw her off balance.

But at least Nanase is consistent. Sheryl at times seems to be a mild case of cleavage as the plot demands, butSherylisstillprettier*cough*.

Is this really all we have to comment on regarding this episode? I suppose I could comment on the trailer to the next episode, one of my favorites.
Old 2010-12-08, 11:34   Link #651
John117xCortana

I wished they gave us more info on Mikhail's sister....
Old 2010-12-08, 11:44   Link #652
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
I wished they gave us more info on Mikhail's sister....
We haven't watched that episode yet.
Old 2010-12-08, 19:05   Link #653
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Is this really all we have to comment on regarding this episode? I suppose I could comment on the trailer to the next episode, one of my favorites.
I suppose we could always ask unanswerable questions like, "Why does Ai-kun have a panty fetish in this episode which never manifests again in any other episode?" or "Why does Luca give all of his equipment a Biblical name, and why is 'Samson' the only Old Testament name?" (and related to that: "If Luca's Ex-Gear is Samson, does that mean Sheryl is Delilah?")
Old 2010-12-08, 20:08   Link #654
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

I thought Ai-kun just ran away and happened to have panties on his head.

Are Luca's names related to the model numbers or anything?
Old 2010-12-08, 20:15   Link #655
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Are Luca's names related to the model numbers or anything?
I don't think so...his Ghosts are the AIF-7S model, and the civilian EX-Gear is the PL/MS-21.
Old 2010-12-08, 20:51   Link #656
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

I wonder if it'll be addressed in a commentary at some point. There may be a really interesting and fun reason behind the names... or none at all.
Old 2010-12-11, 19:47   Link #657
Dop
We can't stop here...

So, episode 9. Michael and Alto get into a fight after Michael nearly blows Alto's head off. We find out more about Michael and Klan's shared past, and Michael's sister....

In a way, it's kind of a shame they never followed up on this, but then again I'm not sure how they would, so maybe it was all for the best.

So perhaps the best part of the episode was more detail about the relationship between Michael and Klan, who were osananajimi (and I do love the shot of little Klan and even littler Michael), and Michael acknowledging just how difficult it would be for him and Klan to have any kind of relationship.
Old 2010-12-11, 20:08   Link #658
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Episode 9 - Friendly Fire

In hindsight, this was a useless episode. All it did was make Michael's death more tragic in the end, but his death was so stupid and pointless it didn't affect me that much. And this is from what I remember, my opinion may change once we get to that episode since I am probably forgetting something, so don't burn me on a stake just yet. There were other things that irked me, but I am going to try to overlook them so I can enjoy the series more.

The animation sure did return to its proper beauty. And Bobby was hilarious with Ranka's manager; Miyake Kenta has great control of his voice, hard to believe he is both Bobby & Scar.

And best part of the episode: Sheryl stretching while talking to Alto. Flexible girls are simply sexy.
Old 2010-12-11, 21:51   Link #659
Lancel

This was a one-off episode much like the last, only this one is really meant to be serious as opposed to comedy, and really just for that it's a much better episode. Of course there is the fact that production values for this episode was a lot better.

Plot relevance: minimal, but it does make Mikhail's death more tragic later, as he gets his own special little episode.

There exists a YouTube video that actually uses clips from this episode and the series and puts it into a Battlestar Galactica style title. If you're not familiar with the style then it's a standard intro for the first half with a rather sorrowful epic feel, then the second is action drums set to random shots of what's to come in the episode ahead. The narrative of this episode always struck me as being reminscient of Battlestar Galactica. Dark subject material, strong military focus, conflict between the characters, small bright spots when the girls give their cameos, and it helps that it's set on a spacefaring fleet searching for a new world.

Aside from the general feel, the narrative itself even has some parallels to a season 2 episode of Battlestar Galactica called "Scar". Both start with an action shot that ends at a cliffhanger, then goes back to explain what happened leading up to it with some big character conflict involved between the two soldiers in the fight we see later. In BSG it was Kat and Starbuck, in MF it's Mikhail and Alto. And they both fight some ace, BSG it's Scar the ace Cylon Raider, in MF it's Brera. Both even touch on suicide and regret, but it's different enough. While there are similarities, MF handles it in a different fashion and deals with different character issues.

Anyway I thought that worth sharing now that we got here. I really wouldn't be surprised if I heard this episode of Frontier was inspired by that episode of Battlesetar. The parallels are strong.
Old 2010-12-12, 04:12   Link #660
magnuskn

Well, while this whole episode in the end came to nothing with the death of Michael, there were some interesting developments in it.

- First off we had the quite important development that Alto and Michael buried their rivalry. From here on it was straight friendship between those two.
- We got real background development between Michael and Klan, which made Michael dying all the more of a waste ( and still the cheap way out for a resolution of their romance ).
- Grace begins to show her true colors.
- And Sheryl begins her flight training, which I think is an aspect of the show they could have made more off. But in the end they decided to keep her a straight singer, which was good for May'n but a pity for the character.

And that's pretty much it, the episode didn't have much more. Next week will be more interesting.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch