AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-06, 13:25   Link #981
magnuskn

I'd love to see that, but it's 25 episodes for the 25th anniversary. So it's unlikely. It'll have to be a stand-alone OVA.
Old 2011-03-08, 18:11   Link #982
SS13

What is most touching in this episode is the characterisation of Sheryl. With the exception of the very beginning, we never see her displaying contempt towards Ranka, let alone rage (and even in the beginnng it was more towards Grace). This despite the fact that
Spoiler for Episode 18 Plot:
Old 2011-03-08, 18:32   Link #983
Zenithlea

Hmmm... what I liked about this episode was the interaction between Michael, Klan and Sheryl actually. There is a scene I'd like to hear thoughts on though-

Spoiler for ep 18:
Old 2011-03-09, 17:33   Link #984
SS13

Quote:
Spoiler for Human Nature:
Indeed, The human nature is central here. One particular appeal of Frontier is that it manages to remain optimistic despite being very realistic about human flaws.
This also will play a role later where
Spoiler for !!Spoiler ep 20!!:
Yes, people aren't always grateful, but that doesn't mean they deserve to rot.

Quote:
I'd love to see that, but it's 25 episodes for the 25th anniversary. So it's unlikely. It'll have to be a stand-alone OVA.
Yes, I hope so, because the movie... basically, let's don't discuss it here, but the movie DEFINITELY doesn't help. An OVA to would be good just to remember how great the series felt.

Last edited by SS13; 2011-03-09 at 17:52. Reason: Addon
Old 2011-03-10, 10:31   Link #985
moncikoma

30th anniversary should be a 5 episode of OVA...
25 + 5 : 30 !
Old 2011-03-10, 12:47   Link #986
Zenithlea

I would so totally second that! (Even though it's doubtful that it will ever happen) I wouldn't mind the OVAs featuring mundane everday life stuff of after the whole Vajra war. (School life etc etc...)
Old 2011-03-10, 20:43   Link #987
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

I want a new series where the protagonist is respectable and the romance is concluded at the end properly and approvingly. Like the original!!
Old 2011-03-10, 21:47   Link #988
SS13

I for my part hope they will make so,ething at least 30 eps. long for 30th anniversary. Assuming of course, that it will be good. Isn't it ironic: Macross 7 has 48 episodes plus some, and is heaviliy padded, and could have been done in 24, whereas frontier only has 25... and actually needed at least 36. A strong 30-episodes story for 30th anniversary, PLUS OVAs would be good.

Returning to episode, the episode also shows the main caveat in the whole "singing to win the war" business. You have to be able to convey strong and rousing genuine feelings through your singing, your whole heart, but what is it used for? War and killing! Here, for example,
Spoiler for Episode ending:

And on a side note, the episode is a must see for all the "celebrities" in the world, especially for child stars. The episode shows very empatically how fame can go just as fast as it comes - just like
Spoiler for striking dmonstration:
Old 2011-03-10, 22:02   Link #989
magnuskn

Grmbl. I still want one or more OVA's for the series.
Old 2011-03-11, 06:10   Link #990
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Sorry guys, was planning to get the commentary done tonight, but am watching the news atm. Will see if I can have it up tomorrow.

(Hope those of you in Japan are ok!! and that the tsunami's strength decreases as it crosses the Pacific)

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-03-11, 09:11   Link #991
magnuskn

Once more, the same from me. Be well, everyone!
Old 2011-03-11, 20:16   Link #992
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Are we watching an episode this week? I want to make sure.
Old 2011-03-12, 03:26   Link #993
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Are we watching an episode this week? I want to make sure.
Yes, we are.
Old 2011-03-12, 07:52   Link #994
magnuskn

On second thought, on account of the on-going catastrophe in Japan, I think trying to talk light-heartedly about an anime episode is definitely inappropiate. Sorry if anyone already was writing up his thoughts for this week, we'll do episode 19 next week, when hopefully things will be better in Japan. I'll update the schedule.
Old 2011-03-12, 09:47   Link #995
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

What? That's not a logical reason.
Old 2011-03-12, 12:59   Link #996
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

I don't really see a problem, myself - but since I'm not even participating in a timely fashion, maybe I should just refrain from comment.

Old 2011-03-12, 13:11   Link #997
magnuskn

I find it a bit inappropiate to make light comments about an anime series when the country it is from is undergoing a honest to god catastrophe, with the possibility of a nuclear plant going into meltdown.

Of course nobody stops you from talking about episode 19. The schedule will stay changed, however.
Old 2011-03-20, 05:31   Link #998
magnuskn

So, one week later and with the situation in Japan at least somewhat calmed down, here is my write-up for episode 19:

- I find it an amazing coincidence that chibi-Ranka already had a version of her green phone thingy. I guess it was a popular design on the 117th?

- So, hm. What exactly does the intro sequence actually mean? Did chibi-Ranka have friendly contact with the Vajra queen? I find this a bit unclear, even after two years, because as we all know, afterwards the Vajra attacked the 117th. Were the exact causes and consequences ever clearly spelled out somewhere?

- I never noticed that purple haired girl in the Queadluun Rau cosplay during the parade.

- And the Ranka fail begins, with her skipping out on the parade held in her honor. Oh, it seemed so innocent, but it was a sign of things to come.

- Oh, yes, Yasaburo has a lot of stalkerish qualities, indeed.

- Even if it is faked for the moment, it's a pleasure seeing Cathy and Ozma together.

- Hey, a moment of self-awareness for Ranka about her being selfish.
And, of course, Brera encourages her being selfish.

- A nice moment between Michael and Klan, once again establishing where their relationship is and how Michael feels about himself.

- <sigh> I really wish the writers had not used that little flashback Alto was having when he saw Sheryl in his mothers kimono. It has been waaaay to much by Ranka fans to assert ( wrongly ) that Alto "only loves Sheryl because he wants to remember his mother" or any variation thereof. At the very least the scene could have been written in another way.

- Why does Japanese have to use something which sounds like "pimping" for "being perfectly fine"?

- And Sheryl begins her trial balloon of pushing Alto away, so that he doesn't have to see her waste away and die. Didn't work out so well, but the noble motivation clearly is there. It isn't the first time she has done something noble, but it was the beginning for her character arc where this aspect of her personality was definitely pushed into the foreground, the one which, IMO, cemented her status as a very special kind of person in the minds of the fanbase.

- And after a short interlude with Nanase and Luca, we get to see how much it is costing Sheryl to say and do what she has decided to. Alto, of course, does not yet get it, so he becomes all angry and bothered. It's really interesting to figure out the relationship dynamics at work here and we got a lot of good analysis of that scene over the years.

- And so Leon's plans go into their final phase. I am still kinda wondering why exactly he felt so motivated to go for his "assassinate the president" plan at this time. I guess he was sure that he wouldn't get to be president otherwise, else why not simply wait for Glass to step down in a few years?

- Bobby loves you, YEAH!

- Ugh, sudden animation drop.

- I kinda wish we'd have an OVA for the "older generation". Even if they were not as interconnected as some of the mangas make it out to be, it would be nice to see which of their motivations play out into the lives of their descendants.

- And we see here that all that Yasaburo does is to get Alto back to acting. And to reconcile with his dad, which also is a means to get Alto acting again. I still think that does put all of Yasaburos speeches quite in perspective.

- And here we are, at the turn of the tide. Ranka is just about to go down the path of selfishness and Brera inadvertently pushes her in that direction. <sigh> Oh, Ranka-chan, how much better could you have been if you'd not decided to put all your motivations on Alto, but rather on being a bit more cognizant of the responsibility you have for the well-being of your entire world?

- And it is truly a bad moment. We even get Ranka saying in her flashback "I want to tell everybody!", just to then decide that, no, she doesn't want to "tell everybody" after all, but just Alto.

-
Spoiler for Ranka's decision:

- I actually think that the scenes where the guys are doing their aerial stunt show are a good indicator of how much Alto is not in love with Ranka. Does it seem to anybody as if he's trying to send a special message to her with what see here?

- And Ranka, just having decided that she sings for Alto only, of course misinterprets the paid-for aerial stunt show. Hey, MICHAEL drew that heart in the sky.

- Hm, I wonder what the short shot of Brera behind the speakers looking on with the usual Japanese look is meant to convey.

- Ugh, the second and worse animation drop.

- LOL at the Vajra larvaes already being in the crowd.

- Again with the "pimping".

- GO MICHAEL! Hit that indecisive Alto over the head!

- And he also has at the very least good insight into himself. If only he would have gotten over his own feelings of inadequacy sooner.

- And here, here is where I think one of the big mistakes happens which the writers did later on the show. It's pretty damn clear that Michael thinks that Alto is someone who wants to be serious in his relationships, someone who wants someone to be serious with. Why did we at the end get interviews with Yoshino about Alto not being very attentive and not being able to decide? I think it is a clear case of a character getting away from the writers intent, inadvertently transforming into more than even the writers were thinking about him.

Alto definitely comes off as a deeper character than at least Yoshino gives him credit for. But, well, it's not the first time I've seen characters beginning to kind of "do their own thing", which the writers had not planned when they began their tale.

- BTW, the drop in animation really is like "Uuuggggh".

- Heh, I kinda like the contrast of Ranka singing "Dokun, dokun, dokun!" with the pulsating Vajra cocoons.

- Wow, I remember how pissed off I was back then at Ranka going all "Alto-kun! Alto-kun! ALTO-KUN!" when she was running up those stairs. Let's look at what my words were back then.

- Ahem: "You can΄t imagine my seething hatred for her at that moment. Fricking child, why does she meddle in such an adult relationship? "

- Suffice to say, I've cooled down somewhat since then. Somewhat.

Next week:

Old 2011-03-20, 10:50   Link #999
Darthtabby

Pretty in depth overview there Magnus. You even beat me to the punch in mentioning how odd it is that Ranka has that thing that looks like her phone.

Anyhow, this episode tends to seem kind of weak to me. Which is interesting because there's actually quite a bit to like about it. I think the big problem is just the ending. I realise love triangles are important in Macross, but dramatically emphasizing a rather cliche event in the romance department when the president is about to be assassinated and the ship is about to be overrun by Vajra... well, the impact of that ends scene seems kind of cheesy.

This episode probably also suffers somewhat in that it comes right before the dramatic awesomeness that is Episode 20. Actually it's interesting to note that in some respects the two episodes are dealing with the same story threads. So it's a matter of emphasis. Not everything about the next episode is awesome, but it ends with Michael's death and the beginning of Sheryl's rebirth as a symbol of hope for the fleet and leaves a very strong impact because of it.

I wonder what could have been done to make Ranka more sympathetic at this point in the storyline. One of the problems I have is that I would have liked to have seen better from Ranka in this show (though I don't condemn her to the degree that many fans do), but at the same time I question whether some of the elements I liked in the show would have survived if major changes were made. (One of the reasons I'm not always keen to jump in with other fans saying something about a show should have been done differently -it's not always easy for a writer to gain something without losing something.)

On another note, Klan seems to really be taking a liking to Sheryl in this episode, kind of interesting considering how little they'd interacted before Michael roped her into helping his investigation. I wonder if they might become close friends post Episode 25.
Old 2011-03-20, 12:17   Link #1000
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Great ep. If only Ranka had ran up the wrong stairs.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch