AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-10, 00:27   Link #321
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I'd like to make a comment on the recent anime only viewers discussion, pertaining to the skipped material. There's an annoying myth there that the girls skipped were all generic cookie cutter capture targets, not very distinguishable from the previous two cour worth of targets.
It's not a myth. Garnishing those girls with "OH BUT THERE WERE THESE DIFFICULT CHALLENGES ASSOCIATED!" is a myth. In one case it's a complete fabrication. The swimmer had no challenges whatsoever. It was beyond straightforward. Nor would I say that the Shogi player or the Cook were particularly challenging. They were slightly unique, but again rather straightforward in the end.

Quote:
Tsukiyo was a capture that Keima struggled with, had unique supernatural elements to it, and the first hint we have after Tenri of the goddesses. It was also one of the first arcs where failure actually appeared to be a very real possibility.
The Yui arc plays with the reversal of gender roles wittily.
These are the arcs that people are upset about being skipped. This is what people are talking about. There have been a couple people who have expressed distaste that the other characters were skipped, but they're very much a minority. By the way, failure was expressed to be possible in Kanon's arc, which you'll recall was extremely early in the series. These skipped girls weren't even close to the first example.

Tsukiyo and Yui have, since this episode aired, been the subject of much complaint due to their having been skipped specifically because they are tied to the main story. We're all very aware of this.

Additionally, there's also exposition and development of characters unrelated to each of these captures that has been missed because they weren't shown. However, that development and that exposition could have easily been fit in elsewhere. Yet again, the issue is that they picked a poor place to start for the sake of trying to animate as much of the goddesses arc as they possibly could.

The issue that needs to be understood is that they can not make a season of TWGOK to devote specifically to capturing new girls no matter how strange or new their situation is. Even as a manga reader, I would much rather see them focus on the main plot of TWGOK and have it continue to accrue a fanbase rather than them waste their time producing a season of more of the same.

I don't agree with them skipping Tsukiyo and Yui, and I know the majority of manga readers will reciprocate that. Claiming that the other girls weren't more of the same capturing is just silly though. A lot of the "unique challenges" and this so-called breaching of the simple design of TWGOK's story and making it not just about making the capture targets fall in love is perceived.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 00:52   Link #322
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Anime only viewers are already assuming that the skipped over girls are not essential parts of the Goddess arc, which is far from the truth because Yui and Tsukiyo were skipped, so anyone hoping for a better background on the previous Goddess host captures will be in for a disappointment.

Probably a good chunk of this is as to why Yui crossdresses in particular.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 00:54   Link #323
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Anime only viewers are already assuming that the skipped over girls are not essential parts of the Goddess arc, which is far from the truth because Yui and Tsukiyo were skipped, so anyone hoping for a better background on the previous Goddess host captures will be in for a disappointment.

Probably a good chunk of this is as to why Yui crossdresses in particular.
Which is strange because as someone pointed out the opening clearly shows every goddess (except the red herring).

Monir I think missed that detail in the opening. People shouldn't be coming to the conclusion that Tsukiyo and Yui weren't goddesses.

I maintain that we'll likely be exposed to background on Yui and Tsukiyo through flashbacks or exposition. The good part is that in reality Yui and Tsukiyo even as goddesses don't really play a huge role. Even though Tsukiyo is one of my favorite she is, sadly, under appreciated in terms of screen time.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 01:06   Link #324
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Well assuming a greater adherence to the source, we'll be expecting that a good chunk of the season will focus on Ayumi, Yui and Shiori. Ayumi in particular.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 01:21   Link #325
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well assuming a greater adherence to the source, we'll be expecting that a good chunk of the season will focus on Ayumi, Yui and Shiori. Ayumi in particular.
Pretty much. Ayumi, Shiori, and Chihiro get the brunt of the screen time before the avengers are assembled.

Yui in particular does get a fair bit of screen time as well, however she gets it in her new form. Iirc, Yui is pretty much a different character post-capture and because of this her capture being skipped isn't a huge deal. That's the one consolation here. Granted she starts to really exhibit those alpha and masculine qualities during, but it's in the post-capture that she goes full-on alpha male all up and down everything.

The new watchers who aren't familiar with the manga will perhaps think they've missed out on this Yui character, but in reality they're really not.

Ayumi and Chihiro will certainly get the most screentime though, like they did in the manga. Shori presents a bit of a challenge but is really just won by repetitive visiting over the course. Tsukiyo is very quick, and got passed over pretty quickly. Yui was sort of the same, and she mostly trolls the rest of the arc. The Goddesses Arc from what I recall really favored Ayumi and Chihiro over everyone because of the dynamics there.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 03:02   Link #326
Xero8420
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Seven Seas
Age: 22
How come Lune appeared as that stalker instead of Fiore?
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 05:04   Link #327
XLNC
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Damn, are they really trying to finish the whole arc in just 12 episodes?

I just saw it from the official website. Seeing that pic made me feel conflicted: on one hand, it's now certain that they'll skim at least 5 chapters in the next episode, on the other, it will be some good Haqua service next episode.

P.S. I wonder how they'll animate this one:
Spoiler for manga pic:
XLNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 05:31   Link #328
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Somehow I don't want to know what it is you say that went in.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 06:09   Link #329
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Somehow I don't want to know what it is you say that went in.
I believe he's referring to Keima's complete lack of interest in females.

It penetrated Haqua's heart like a spiked arrowhead. She will surely express large amounts of resentment towards him as a result of this!

The thing about "skimming X chapters in..." is that in the case of TWGOK, they could easily go through several volumes in minutes. The artist employs a lot of reaction shots, and some of the exposition does take up more than a single volume. Especially in the goddesses arc the compression from text to actual spoken word is going to make a huge difference. For example, it's about there are about two and one half volumes between us and Keima and Haqua beginning the hunt for the goddesses. Most of that is dialogue and I wouldn't be surprised if they could faithfully reproduce most of that conversation in the span of five minutes, or at least less than half the length of the episode.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 06:46   Link #330
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Snip
I think you completely misunderstand my point.

I am not insisting that all Eight arcs were unique and difficult challenges for Keima Katsuragi. The myth that I'm trying to attack here is that all Eight arcs were plot unimportant, and universally generic, similar and followed the standard Kami-nomi formula of the early arcs.

I concede that the Shogi player, the Cook and the Swimmer were very conventional plots. Even then though, these three arcs featured slight deviations from the standard formula.

The remaining five arcs however were very unusual by TGWOK standards, and broke the standard mold of expectations, OR were very plot important.

I hope you are not claiming that it's a myth that Akari, Reiko or Hinoki arcs proceeded just like all the other arcs. These three semi plot relevant arcs (Reiko informs the readers about the end game of Spirit possession, if I am not wrong) were highly unusual arcs in themselves - they hardly obeyed the conventional TGWOK mold.

And it goes without saying that Yui and Tsukikko arcs were vital arcs, and until Tsukkiko, Keima never came this close to failing a Capture, while Yui Goido was not resolved through Keima's agency, but Yui's. Neither of these arcs obeyed the conventional "Keima get's to know the girls better, Keima can see the ending, Keima completes the capture" which is what I am presuming anime only viewers are referring to when talking about a standard TGWOK formula.

Nor was I arguing for these arcs to be animated. I acknowledge the argument that they couldn't afford to animate all of those arcs, given how bad the previous seasons sales were. All I am arguing against is the irritating claim that all these arcs were skipped because they were more of the same, or even worse, plot unimportant. Five of the Eight arcs did not follow the standard TGWOK formula. However, I concede that the remaining three are as guilty as charged.

I am not advocating that these Eight Arcs SHOULD have gotten a season of their own. I never claimed in my original post that these arcs should have filled a season. All I am saying is that at least five of the Eight arcs does not meet the preconception that the skipped arcs were generic.

However, Five of the Eight arcs in my opinion deserve priority for OVAs, at least. Yui and Tsukkiko are plot important, while Akari, Reiko and Hinoki defied Keima's conventional tactics, and were very different stories from the rest of the arcs.

Now, let me pose a hypothetical situation. Had Madhouse decided to adapt those five arcs (Tsukkiko, Yui, Reiko, Hinoki and Akari) while passing over the other three, I suspect most viewers would have acknowledged those five arcs were a major and refreshing shift away from the traditional TGWOK formula, rather than cookie cutters of the previous seasons. It also sets up Keima's character for the further character development, that culminates in the conclusion of Ayumu's role in the goddess arc.

As it is, at the end of this season, I foresee people screaming DEUS EX MACHINA ending at Akari leading the Calvary and saving the day. Never mind that in the skipped materials, especially in the Hinnoki and Akari arcs, that outcome was sufficiently telegraphed in advanced that I don't recall manga readers screaming Deus Ex Machina. Of course, Madhouse might surprise me with intelligent adaptation decisions to avoid that - perhaps Akari becomes more active here, and becomes the counter to a more active Lune in the third season.

That's not the worse of it. Yui Goido and Tsukkiko is probably going to trigger alot of questions for anime original viewers, unless Madhouse does it well, perhaps through flashbacks.

And the conclusion of Ayumu's arc? Since we don't see Keima's slow character development throughout the previous Eight arcs preceding the goddess arc, I can't see anime original viewers really feeling for the ending, in the manner that manga readers did. In-fact, someone is going to claim thirteen weeks from now that Keima's behavior there.... is OOC, rather than the climax of his character development over the past 100 chapters, starting from Tenri onwards, or perhaps even from Haqua's arc onwards. Again, Madhouse could pull of a surprise here, but it'll need some excellent adaptation decisions to make the viewers buy that ending, without the skipped arcs.

Another thing that anime viewers might not appreciate is just how real the possibility of failure actually seemed at the start of the goddess arc. By the point Kanon was snapped, we've seen Keima come very close to failing, most of all in the Hinoki arc. It's a relatively minor point - it's overshadowed by Keima committing to the greatest challenge so far in TGWOK.

Speaking of which, if TGWOK ever got a movie, Hinoki's arc is probably the most suited of the arcs, if only for it's over the top ending battle, and just how close run the whole affair was for Keima. When Hinoki turned godzilla size, I really doubted Keima's ability to actually succeed, and wondered just how he was going to win against that FUBAR situation.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 07:45   Link #331
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Spoiler for Because I use spoiler tags for lots of words: My response.:


In the end, a lot of these issues are really blowing things a bit out of proportion.

Nobody is saying that this material is completely and totally irrelevant, and that it wont harm the capabilities of the staff in this season. However, beyond Tsukiyo and Yui the effect isn't nearly as substantial as it's being made out to be.

The thing to understand is that a lot of things revolve around this arc of TWGOK. It's an extremely large portion of the story and it's where questions posed in the first two seasons are answered. It's also the season where the primary characters experience the most substantial growth. Up until now it really has mostly been "business as usual" arcs. This is a good studio and they've done a more than decent job adapting the series up until now. They wouldn't have been able to skip those arcs in the first place if they weren't capable of doing so, and they wouldn't have attempted it in the first place if they couldn't do it without affecting the perception of the anime-only viewers. Yui's character shines more in this arc than in her own, and Tsukiyo (as much as it pains me to say this, because I really do like her character a lot) plays a very minor role. Honestly, I think the most confusing aspect of Yui and Tsukiyo will be that they're characters that people are only just being introduced to but everyone else is sufficiently aware of.

Edit: Watching the opening again, is it just me or is Yui slightly more boyish in this than in the manga? I'm not sure if I look forward to all of the trouble she causes. The teasing and the harassment that she provides is frightening!
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 14:25   Link #332
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canadá
I believe they will make a flashback in the characters when Keima starts searching for them, like "The next candidate is X, I captured her XXXX"
__________________
For the moe is dark and full of terrors
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 16:21   Link #333
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 30
The tragic thing about Tsukiyo arc being skipped is that she is the next girl to be captured after season 2 of the anime. If they didn't drag out the seasons as much then she would have gotten her arc animated.
__________________
Gangnam style parody done by yours truely.
Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 09:04   Link #334
n120cky
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
What disappointing is how they make OP full of spoiler if not trolling, I do enjoy how Keima deduct which of girl that he had been conquer is the goddess, yet they make it oblivious six+chihiro as main girl . . .
__________________
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 10:17   Link #335
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canadá
Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
What disappointing is how they make OP full of spoiler if not trolling, I do enjoy how Keima deduct which of girl that he had been conquer is the goddess, yet they make it oblivious six+chihiro as main girl . . .
In the manga was the same and no one noticed. There was a gigantic page with Chihiro as a bride written "support the goddesses and Chihiro!", and yet no one noticed that until Ayumi was revealed as the host.
__________________
For the moe is dark and full of terrors
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 13:47   Link #336
Rungelunge
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Exactly. If people want mystery they already have Meitantei Conan in the same magazine.
Rungelunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 16:07   Link #337
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
What disappointing is how they make OP full of spoiler if not trolling, I do enjoy how Keima deduct which of girl that he had been conquer is the goddess, yet they make it oblivious six+chihiro as main girl . . .
Are you saying the OP made it obvious that Chihiro isn't one of the goddesses? Cause I never noticed that.

Quote:
In the manga was the same and no one noticed. There was a gigantic page with Chihiro as a bride written "support the goddesses and Chihiro!", and yet no one noticed that until Ayumi was revealed as the host.
What chapter was that?
__________________
Gangnam style parody done by yours truely.
Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 16:46   Link #338
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canadá
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Are you saying the OP made it obvious that Chihiro isn't one of the goddesses? Cause I never noticed that.


What chapter was that?
Here: http://www.mangadata.com/manga/The-W...Knows/116.005/
scroll down, there will be the image. It was released before the great reveal...
__________________
For the moe is dark and full of terrors
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 19:02   Link #339
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcscasio View Post
Here: http://www.mangadata.com/manga/The-W...Knows/116.005/
scroll down, there will be the image. It was released before the great reveal...
Wow.

That was the most subtle thing ever that I had to give it a few passes.

Although I suspect most of us thought Ayumi would be the goddess simply because she's Ayumi and she's obligated to be one. Plus Ayumi is trouble, just like the goddesses, so it's perfect for her.

The OP of the series does give away who the girls are, technically. But there was never any mystery about that even in the manga. Pretty much the first thing Keima does is figure out that the goddesses reside in girls who attend his school and are closer to him by location. The list of girls who both attend his school and in closer proximity to him within it is extremely small and already leaves only Kanon, Ayumi, Chihiro, Tsukiyo, Shion, and Yui. Even the ojou-sama was dismissed very quickly as being a non-goddesses.

Honestly, I'm just glad that they were smart enough to include Chihiro so that there was no spoilers about her. Whether her or Ayumi end up being the real goddess was the mystery. I'm really looking forward to a couple months from now when all the anime viewers are trying to figure out who it is.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 19:42   Link #340
n120cky
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Are you saying the OP made it obvious that Chihiro isn't one of the goddesses? Cause I never noticed that.
No what I'm saying is they narrow down the six goddess with only shown 7 girls in OP, you know the tension of finding who the goddess is prety much entertaining, Keima is a deductive person by nature instead of his gal game fan trait, I found it pretty rare and what most likely unique about Keima on how he deal with detective job.
__________________
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.