AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2010-11-21, 01:54   Link #1
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Cool Rome: Total War

This thread focus only to the TOTAL WAR games frachise.

Anyone can post questions, reviews, anything related to the games.

You can also discuss your choice of civilizations, armies, and strategies you use in the game..... I myself is a fan of the game.

~~~~~~~~~

For starting, I played Rome :Total War and Rome: Total War Barbarian Invasion.

My favorite civilization is Carthage, because I like playing Hannibal Barca, one of the Greatest Military Genius of all time.

My choice of units are a General's unit, 2 units War elephants, 5 units Sacred Band Cavalry, 2 units Balearic slingers, and lastly, 10 unitsthe Sacred band Hoplites.

I chose them because of the Defensive and Offensive advantage against other civilization's armies...

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-11-21 at 02:33. Reason: The "EDIT" button is your friend...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 14:00   Link #2
LostHanyou

Rome: Total War is the best of the series

I like the Seleucid Empire for their mix of phalanxes, legionnaires, and heavy cavalry.

Also, I don't remember Hannibal Barca being a general in the campaign...?
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 00:28   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Yes, I do too...

The Seleucids are the best choice of civilization if you wanted to have both the legions and elephants together. And using Roman troops against them is such a pain....

But as the explanation in the game, the their legions are just copies of the true legions of Rome, and doesn't have the equal morale.

I remember I fought the Seleucids and Rome together being the two of them as Allies and my enemy.... I nearly lost half of my Sacred Bands and Cavalry and the elephant battle was bloody, hehehe.... I was defeated by Rome who was just waiting for my troops to get tired.. hehehe
Old 2010-11-23, 17:33   Link #4
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHanyou View Post
Rome: Total War is the best of the series

I like the Seleucid Empire for their mix of phalanxes, legionnaires, and heavy cavalry.

He wasn't involved in the Rome: Total War, but he was involved in the enhanced version of what Rome: Total War would look like today (Roma Surrectum II) which is the mod I love to use due to the realistic feeling it gives in this time. I still like playing the originally Rome: Total War don't get me wrong. My favorite faction has got to be the Greek City-States, I just love the Anvil and Hammer strategy Alexander the Great used alot in his battles, if only I could play Macedon...

Also, is this thread talking about "All" the Total War games like Napoleon: Total War, Empire: Total War, Medieval: Total War/Kingdoms, Shogun: Total War, and the upcoming Shogun: Total War II?
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 01:58   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHanyou View Post

Hehe, I rephrase what I meant to say... " I like to pretend as Hannibal Barca in Rome: Total War". Though I wanted to play the other Total War games, I don't find them in the net cafes ( sorry, I don't hve a working PC right now ).

How did I did that ( like Hannibal )?

Simply, conquer all Sicily first, strengthen the navy. Then, having a fix number of troops in Carthage , I march them to "Tingi" then crossing to Iberia. Pushing against the Spanish warriors, smashing a Full Flag Roman army.... Pushing to Gaul, cross the Alps facing another two Roman armies in succession. Then crushing every Roman army has to offer ( new troops only supplied by mercenaries ), damn it was hard... Then return to Carthage,,,,
Old 2010-11-24, 02:01   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Also, is this thread talking about "All" the Total War games like Napoleon: Total War, Empire: Total War, Medieval: Total War/Kingdoms, Shogun: Total War, and the upcoming Shogun: Total War II?
Feel free to do so... comparing within the other Total Wars is also ok....!!!

By the way, I did play the Napoleon Total Wars though, I'm more on the stab and slaugther thing in Rome Total War, nice game though..
Old 2010-11-24, 02:05   Link #7
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Hehe, I rephrase what I meant to say... " I like to pretend as Hannibal Barca in Rome: Total War". Though I wanted to play the other Total War games, I don't find them in the net cafes ( sorry, I don't hve a working PC right now ).

How did I did that ( like Hannibal )?

Simply, conquer all Sicily first, strengthen the navy. Then, having a fix number of troops in Carthage , I march them to "Tingi" then crossing to Iberia. Pushing against the Spanish warriors, smashing a Full Flag Roman army.... Pushing to Gaul, cross the Alps facing another two Roman armies in succession. Then crushing every Roman army has to offer ( new troops only supplied by mercenaries ), damn it was hard... Then return to Carthage,,,,
If I remember right, Rome: Total War made Rome into 4 seperate factions correct? Well to easily deal with this I would.

Take care of Sardinia, and Sicily, and like you did build a strong navy to strengthen the defense of Sicily from any Scipii fleet that might enter, while I have full control of the sea for now, I would mark my forces against the Spaniards and use the Iberian Peninsula for my home field to amass a strong army.

I would start building troops from Sicily and Carthage, and send them at the last Scipii town (which they should still only have their capital) and eliminate them from the game. Then retreat and let either the Brutii or the Senate take it (eliminating one faction of the Romans is good enough) and then I would launch an attack from Spain against the Julii who would be fighting the Gauls about now. See if I can strike an alliance with the Gauls, and push.

While I replenish my armies for an attack against the Brutii capital and severely weaken them (they should be fighting Macedon or the Greek-City-States by this point) they should be weak on their home base on Italy. Then just continue on and finish them off. Of course that is how I plan to start out my Carthage campaign, getting rid of my trade rival Rome, or they will grow to powerful and might reach the Gaius Marius age where they have the Cohorts that will slaughter me.
Old 2010-11-24, 02:58   Link #8
NoemiChan
Banned

I also did that in one of my many attempts.... I feel sorry for the house of Scipii having to face the Greeks and worst Carthage lead by ME. I was irritated by Julii's diversionary attack on Sardinia so I did gave it up in the beginning (why not? It's like making a three front battlefield just in the starting of the campaign, I'm focus in acquiring the rich gold mines in Spanish plus the barbarians interventions and acquring the advance naval yard of Syracuse with Roman again intervening.

My problem was just the sudden appearance of the Senate army when I march to Rome but am I not "Him"??. It was such a blood tasting Crushing Victory for me, hahahahaha
Old 2010-11-24, 03:09   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Can any tell me about Total War Zhanguo, the videos are few, only one.
Old 2010-11-24, 03:09   Link #10
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:
I also did that in one of my many attempts.... I feel sorry for the house of Scipii having to face the Greeks and worst Carthage lead by ME. I was irritated by Julii's diversionary attack on Sardinia so I did gave it up in the beginning (why not? It's like making a three front battlefield just in the starting of the campaign, I'm focus in acquiring the rich gold mines in Spanish plus the barbarians interventions and acquring the advance naval yard of Syracuse with Roman again intervening.

My problem was just the sudden appearance of the Senate army when I march to Rome but am I not "Him"??. It was such a blood tasting Crushing Victory for me, hahahahaha
Hmm, if my memory serves right, Julii and Gaul never really do go all out, leaving it at a stalemate for quite a while. Also how hostile the AI is, the Gauls will likely attack you.. Its always good to try to get an alliance with the Gauls, so you will not have barbarian interference when fighting the Romans.

Just keeping a strong navy alone can keep the Romans off Sardinia, its not like they can sneak around or anything

Of course the Senate would have an army ready when you march on Rome they always have a huge army at the very start.
Old 2010-11-24, 03:23   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

I didn't allied myself to them because they are AI's, which means that they can be your enemy anytime. Besides my aim is to destroy Rome but not conquer it.
How? Kill all the heirs of Rome and set a rebellion by raising the tax then leaving it and have the Gauls feast for themselves? They're just easy to conquer though.

The truth is I don't make alliances and the purpose of my diplomants is either to bride or disband an opposing army.... Ain't Carthage suppose to be filty rich??
Old 2010-11-24, 03:29   Link #12
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:
The truth is I don't make alliances and the purpose of my diplomants is either to bride or disband an opposing army.... Ain't Carthage suppose to be filty rich??
Historically yes, they were the trading rivals against Rome, they were richer, larger in city size, and had a stronger navy. Judging by the occupation of land in Rome: Total War, this was set before the First Punic Wars before Carthage lost Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica by offering a peace treaty to Rome, that was when everything went downside for Carthage. Don't know why they are not rich in the game, but its the game's influence that matters most now. So in terms of the game, Carthage is just your average "balanced" nation among other nations.
Old 2010-11-24, 03:37   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
So in terms of the game, Carthage is just your average "balanced" nation among other nations.

...and actually, one of the weakest in the start of the campaign. But using them to defeat Rome, you can be really are a genius..... for me...
Old 2010-11-24, 21:45   Link #14
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:

...and actually, one of the weakest in the start of the campaign. But using them to defeat Rome, you can be really are a genius..... for me...
Carthage is practically in a bad state in the beginning of the campaign, but if you know what to build on your cities, it can flourish without the conquest of Rome and give you a good 15000+ denari each turn, but taking out Rome is always essential, once you take Italy you are basically already in the best state compared to the other factions.

Early game, the units to use against Rome are basically composed of a mix of Round Shield Cavalry, Iberian Infantry, and Libyan Spearmen. Of course the Romans are stronger in terms of infantry, if you give them a good anvil and hammer strike, they will route for sure (if your infantry can hold for that long) the Libyan Spearmen are only there for the purpose of if they have calvary in their army, I found no use for the skirmishers because of the fact that the enemy always clashes with my forces before my range even get a chance to fire, that is until I get slingers.

War Dogs can also be good for a bit of harassment early.

Later on, its all about the Sacred Band, Long Shield Calvary, and the Elephants! Total Devastation is in your hands if you can make it to the late stage
Old 2010-11-25, 02:59   Link #15
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:

.... You're joking right? Carthage is far from one of the weakest. In fact it's generally very good, it's just in a horrible state because otherwise you'd be conquering territory in little to no time at all.

Quote:
Later on, its all about the Sacred Band, Long Shield Calvary, and the Elephants! Total Devastation is in your hands if you can make it to the late stage
No complaints. although you should always bring the fight to the enemy if it's mroe profitable then laying low on the other side of the river.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 02:27   Link #16
NoemiChan
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Definitely true, and by the way, I really love challenging enemies for a "cavalry vs cavalry only" duel during the start of the battle. Hehehehe...

They usually do not realize that I'm just separating the cavalry from the infantry so that my elephants can rampage more smoothly...

About the dogs well I'm much more concerned for the pigs ,but usually those don't really reach my elephants alive.....

Using Carthage's units (Sacred Band, Long Shield Cavalry and Armored Elephants), against Romes best units ,usually, in my style, SPEED and GOOD TIMING is the key of victory. For example, I move my infantry directly to the main enemy front. Then attempt to challenging the enemy in a Cavalry only battle by pretending to outflanked.

If they take the bait, I then rush my elephants to the center of the enemy main front creating a panic, switch my infantry to swords not the usual phalanx ,then rush to the front, it will be effective because the focus of the enemy infantry then is the elephants.

Then recalling the cavalry for a behind the enemy attack, pull out elephants attack the chasing enemy cavalry.... WOOLA!!!!!!! Slaughtered enemy!!!!