AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Kami nomi/TWGOK - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 27 30.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 10.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 4.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.14%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.14%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-10-27, 23:10   Link #61
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAKami View Post
The anime was rather subtle with it, but they made it so that the viewers could distinguish it without any difficulty. Perhaps it's because the anime had more interactions/scenes with Sora than in the manga.
What? The anime wasn't the slightest bit subtle. I don't really care about this particular issue, but the anime hit you over the head with it, while the manga was slightly subtler about it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 23:20   Link #62
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
IIRC, it's Mitsumi Misato. She also did illustrations for ToHeart2, among many other. If you look closely, you can see Konomi with her school uniform.
Ohh...!! You're right... It is Konomi on the screen.
And on closer look, the art style is indeed ToHeart2's person...
Yurishii...

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 23:22   Link #63
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Quote:
And then we have this character that hates someone (no, not tsundere, but blood-lust hate)... But then in the next episode, the character loves that person.
At this point, wouldn't you feel something is odd?
That's what I am talking about. There is no way I could expect the show to be realistic. But expect the characters to make sense? Yes. Unless the show was full of mental patients that didn't have a properly working brain or something.
And in regards to MM!, I don't feel that.
As much as I like MM!, it's not the best example of characters making sense.

Keima's doesn't HATE those girls. Where'd you get that idea? He even mentions that Mio is good at heart. He's just reluctant to having to do the capture, understandable in his position, since he wants nothing to do with the "Real".
But it's not like he's gonna half-ass his "captures" either; so he puts the work in. After spending an intimate week or so with both of them, a blush or two is not something so far-fetched, but neither is it a sign of outright love; a slip in the crack of the Capturing God's armor, maybe.

Quote:
There's less connection between the two paragraphs than there is a connection between coke and the sun.

And you know, if he is a master of galges, than I would expect him to keep his PFP dry, yeah.
What I'm saying is, with such an absurd plot with an outrageous character like Keima, having his game system out 24/7 is not something that doesn't make sense; not in a bathtub, and not in a classroom. Teachers unable to stop a troublesome kid isn't something so shocking either; he'd just pull another PFP out or something.
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 23:27   Link #64
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMEangel View Post
As much as I like MM!, it's not the best example of characters making sense.

Keima's doesn't HATE those girls. Where'd you get that idea?
Really? As far as their settings go, they haven't gone out of character.

......What are you talking about? I didn't even mention his name. I was making an example of what I'm trying to point out by using something else.

Quote:
What I'm saying is, with such an absurd plot with an outrageous character like Keima, having his game system out 24/7 is not something that doesn't make sense; not in a bathtub, and not in a classroom.

Teachers unable to stop a troublesome kid isn't something so shocking either; he'd just pull another PFP out or something.
Regardless of the absurd setting for the story, I do find his actions don't make sense. I've already mentioned this example, but if he really is such a lover of galge and everything, then he should treasure it and not put it in danger (bathtub full of water). The fact he does play the game in the tub does not make sense.
He treasures them and wants to save them, right? So why play in the tub, where the game and system could forever die and he could never save them? Err...

There's a limit to how much PFP he could have.
And there clearly would be other consequences too, if he repeated the action so much.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-10-27, 23:50   Link #65
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Quote:
......What are you talking about? I didn't even mention his name. I was making an example of what I'm trying to point out by using something else.
Ah, sorry, I thought you were referring to Keima by this:
Quote:
And then we have this character that hates someone (no, not tsundere, but blood-lust hate)... But then in the next episode, the character loves that person.
It sounds oddly specific in context.
Quote:
There's a limit to how much PFP he could have.
And there clearly would be other consequences too, if he repeated the action so much.
Spoiler for About that...:

Either that, or the PFP is made of Orichalcum and is completely indestructible.
Old 2010-10-27, 23:51   Link #66
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Actually he does have a reason for playing his PFP in the tub because...

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Edit - Blog post to follow later. Homework and New Vegas calls.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 00:18   Link #67
Divini
Senpai!

Wow, I'm seriously surprised they made a whole episode out of this! (which only took 1 chapter)

The best part was:

"You can't save in this game." (bishie sparkle)
Cue blimp with the words: "Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!"
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 01:18   Link #68
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
It sounds oddly specific in context.

Spoiler for About that...:

Either that, or the PFP is made of Orichalcum and is completely indestructible.
Ahh... Sorry about that.
It was like: Imagine a fantasy setting and then we have this character that... (referring to a character in the fantasy setting).

Mmm... As I haven't read the manga, I can't really say anything about that. We'll see if the chapter gets animated.

I'd love a DS that is indestructible... *looks at own DS that has a hinge broken*
(Though I guess it did pretty good considering I dropped it several times...)

Old 2010-10-28, 01:42   Link #69
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

This episode was certainly not what I had expected, although I quite enjoyed it myself. The humour were mostly spot on and there was certainly no shortage of VISUAL METAPHORS.
The only thing I can complain about is that they missed a perfectly good chance to make a point about Keima's character, or the otaku culture. I understand that TWGOK is not a social-commentary like NHK, but it was kind of unsatisfying how they just left off at "Keima's very dedicated about games and that's what makes him so special".

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 01:52   Link #70
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

I thought this episode was a nice change to show that there was more to this series besides capturing girls week after week.

(Okay, so technically this was also an episode about capturing a girl)

There was a subtle sense of eeriness during the loop scenes where Keima kept running back to the same scenes and Sora repenting what she said over and over and over and over... Could almost be played out as a horror And the scene where Sora turned out to be alone whenever she wants to show him her picture was a nice touch

I might be alone on this, but Keima really got me thinking the first time I saw this arc. Putting aside the whole craziness about this being only a game, would you have given up on saving her had she been in this world instead of the game's ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 01:56   Link #71
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

I can't believe that people are questioning the logic of Keima carrying his PFP into the bath or into class when the series premise is that the guy is so prolific and proficient in galges that the forces of Hell were convinced just by his reputation that he could win the heart of any female... He carries the PFP with him wherever he goes. About the only time we have seen him without it is when he's actively courting a capture target (which should tell you everything you need to know about how he approaches those real girls)... It might as well be a part of his wardrobe. You'd be better off complaining about Ranma's Ukyo carrying around that giant spatula all the time...

And complaining about the chapter being extended to a full episode... It's not like we hadn't been informed this would happen before the series even aired... It may have felt a little slow in parts for some people (felt about right for me), but as an anime representation of the tribulations of being locked in a seemingly endless loop of futility (a subject not without precident...or so I've heard...), it did pretty damn well... I think manga readers are just upset that what came between Mio and the subject of the next episode was not the subject of this episode. Have patience...

Speaking of the next episode, I find it interesting that the preview named only one flag, when that corresponding flag would presumably only cover part of the episode. Maybe because this next arc is starting with the start of an episode (unlike Mio's, which started in the middle of episode 2), they've judged breaking down episode titles into .0 and .5 iterations unnecessary in this case.
Old 2010-10-28, 02:04   Link #72
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'd love a DS that is indestructible... *looks at own DS that has a hinge broken*
(Though I guess it did pretty good considering I dropped it several times...)
(Tell me about it; Replacing My DS with a DSLite, then dropping it; ruined the the touch screen. )

Don't wanna beat a dead horse here, but the most I can say without overtalking is that I don't think defying the teachers isn't meant to be taken too seriously; maybe it's just something they've all gotten used to:
Spoiler for maybe?:
Old 2010-10-28, 02:07   Link #73
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
- First one to call Indiana Jones reference with "Raiders' March" from Raiders of the Lost Ark. (When Keima is explaining the loop bug to Elsee)
First to call it, but hardly the only one to notice. I busted out laughing when I heard it. And it was actually more of a very good Jimmy Hart Version, actually... It's little details like that that really make parodies pop.

EDIT: Also I just realized Kodama is voiced by Frieza... Oddly fitting, that... And much improvement on Nikaido's design...rowr...
Old 2010-10-28, 03:15   Link #74
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Overall it was nice episode for those who play these games and may have suffered the same problem.
I don't play this type of games, but I can certainly understand the pain caused by a bug that screws your game and forces you to start all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
The best part was:

"You can't save in this game." (bishie sparkle)
Cue blimp with the words: "Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!"
Oh god yes. Elsie trying to run away was my favorite bit in this episode!
Old 2010-10-28, 05:55   Link #75
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Dedication or Obsession?

Asuka Sora is considered the uncapturable heroine not because the game is hard, but because of shitty quality testing. Bugs abound such as but not limited to corrupting sound files, sprite flipping, sprite substitution, save file corruption and bricking. Itís a technical nightmare to the casual gamer, but a mere challenge for a God such as Keima. By now we all know that there is no such thing as a heroine that cannot be captured as far as he is concerned, and for him all it really requires is more than the usual effort to free. Every heroine deserves freedom.

In his own words, there are no bad heroines, only bad games.

Elsee said it best: He may be a goofball, he may be eccentric, but this is the reason why heís good at what he does and why he will succeed in capturing escaped demons when others could not. Again you can call it dedication or much easier simple obsession, but in reality itís more likely both. He may be obsessed with galge to the point of completely ignoring everything else, but you have to respect the dedication he puts into them. He plays not only because he needs to, but also because he wants to. He wants to save those heroines and see the ending.

It adds a greater degree of depth towards his character that others only see is a gamer freak who does nothing but press on his PFP all day. Iím not denying of course that itís unhealthy and he really shouldnít be ignoring the rest of the real world, but by now we already understand that he must have some reason why he chooses the galge world over the real world, and we cannot help but have some degree of respect for something that goes beyond simple obsession or dedication, but itís practically his passion. Galge a part of him as him as much as his hand or foot is.

Presentation wise, I think the best part of this episode are the loops, specifically how it simulates the visual novel style of repeating the same scenes with different choices to see different outcomes, dialogues and CGs. Naturally thatís the way to play such games anyway, so I guess I should give props to the studio for trying to adapt that concept to animation, though the looping thing has of course been done before. It was funny and enjoyable to watch Keimaís struggle for perfection, his unwillingness to give up even when faced with a seemingly eternal cycle of repetition with no end in sight. It takes god-like skill and dedication to defeat bugs that are practically so hard coded into the game that the entire gameís development team even gave up on fixing it.

I think it speaks a lot about his character.

Even if it was a great adaptation, I still have to ask myself if it really needed a whole episode to do. This is one chapter in the manga and they stretched it to fit half an hour. From a characterization viewpoint I think it did it effectively to dispel the assumptions that Keimaís just a crazy megalomaniac on the run from reality and show the dedication and passion he has for what he does, and not because heís a candidate for the asylum.

But even if they could make it into a great 30 minutes adaptation, they didnít need to make it one.

If this season is really running only for 12 or 13 episodes, they have a lot of ground to cover if they really want to try and finish the entire story by the end of season 2. They could cut out stuff to make it fit, but from that view making something this long doesnít make a whole lot of sense. Because Iím too brain dead to figure out what Manglobe plans for the series, Iíll assume they have a plan for it since theyíve been doing great so far. In the end this episode boils down to two: either you want a extended but great adaptation, or a shorter one to have more content in the long run.

And as much as I liked this episode, I think Iíd preferred a more compressed piece from them.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 06:15   Link #76
Ryuutai

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I can't believe that people are questioning the logic of Keima carrying his PFP into the bath or into class when the series premise is that the guy is so prolific and proficient in galges that the forces of Hell were convinced just by his reputation that he could win the heart of any female... He carries the PFP with him wherever he goes. About the only time we have seen him without it is when he's actively courting a capture target (which should tell you everything you need to know about how he approaches those real girls)... It might as well be a part of his wardrobe. You'd be better off complaining about Ranma's Ukyo carrying around that giant spatula all the time...
I totally agree with you...Also, the fact he plays into the bath doesn't mean he would be so careless to let fall his PFP into the water. He is very smart, and I think his brain works in a perfect multitasking style, so he can do many things together without mistakes.
And I think also it is pointless to complain about his teachers, because their behaviour seems very realistic to me.
What could they do, besides what they already have done?
Also, Keima is a good student, after all, so they have not any real reasons to complain.
In real life many teachers are totally resigned about their undisciplined students...I saw some situations like this in my school life.
Ryuutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 06:52   Link #77
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

There's a lot of pessimists here huh?

I didn't read the manga so I wouldn't know how you Kaminomi manga readers feel but imo rushing a series so that you can move to the plot is almost never a good thing. I mean stop being concerned that its only 13 episodes and actually enjoy the series. I mean its being animated in a god-like way. Im actually envious cus other adaptations get sucky treatment. Id say suck it up cus ur getting one of the better adaptation treatment.

That aside I thought this episode was genoius and lol at the same time. What a game...
Old 2010-10-28, 06:53   Link #78
Stormwhite

Send a message via MSN to Stormwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Spoiler for Future Events hinted at by the ending picture of today's episode:
Spoiler for Moar future events.:
Old 2010-10-28, 07:35   Link #79
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

It was okay. I don't really see the point of spending one whole episode on Keima's OCDness. His ranting at the game company was hilarious though, and they did a good job of making us feel the same frustration with the looping lunch scene
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 07:46   Link #80
Jimmy C

Keima should consider himself lucky that a nonprogramming solution was possible to bypass the bugs. Had it been that bad, no amount of effort would have done any good.
At the end, I was half expecting Keima to be unable to remember exactly what he did to break the loop.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote