AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-01-14, 10:27   Link #1
ReddyRedWolf

Ant-Man (Michael co-starring as Hank Pym)

http://collider.com/michael-douglas-ant-man/
Quote:
Marvel is taking a big gamble on a largely unknown property with a weird premise and strange set of characters with this August’s Guardians of the Galaxy, but they also have a less widely known property on tap for 2015 by way of the incredibly promising Ant-Man. We learned last month that Paul Rudd will lead writer/director Edgar Wright’s comic book adaptation, but the question that lingered on everyone’s mind was which Ant-Man Rudd would be playing. In the comics there have been a few people that have donned the Ant-Man suit, most notably creator Hank Pym and then later a thief named Scott Lang.

When Wright recently teased Scott Lang with an image posted on Twitter, we were directed to an old interview with the filmmaker in which he talked about using both Hank Pym and Scott Lang in his Ant-Man film. Well that’s exactly what he’s going to do, as Marvel has just announced that Michael Douglas will be playing Hank Pym in the feature. Hit the jump for more.

Michael-Douglas-ant-manMarvel has announced that Academy Award-winner Michael Douglas will play Hank Pym in Wright’s Ant-Man opposite Paul Rudd as Scott Lang. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige had this to say about the decision:

Quote:
“With Hank Pym’s rich history in the Marvel Universe, we knew we needed an actor capable of bringing the weight and stature to the role that the character deserves,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “We felt incredibly relieved when Michael Douglas agreed to step into the part with the charm and fortitude he brings to every character he inhabits, and couldn’t be more excited to see what he will do to bring Hank Pym to life.”
Pym first appeared in “Tales to Astonish #27” and is responsible for first originating the Ant-Man superhero, while Lang came along in later stories as a burglar who stole the Ant-Man suit as a last resort when his daughter became seriously ill. So how would Wright incorporate both characters into one movie? He dropped this interesting nugget in 2006 when speaking to SHH, which he not-so-subtly pointed to

Quote:
“The idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both. Is to have a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60′s, in sort of “Tales to Astonish” mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang’s story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him.
This is an incredibly exciting premise that now seems to be more or less confirmed by Wright himself, with the wonderfully talented Douglas playing opposite Paul Rudd. We’ll have to wait until July 31, 2015 to find out how all of this fits together, but Ant-Man is certainly shaping up to be one hell of a project.
So Hank Pym and Scott Lang has a Batman Beyond relationship.

An old hero passing the mantle.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 11:56   Link #2
GDB

This also allows them to basically have Pym create Ultron off-screen without ever mentioning it or showing it, without making old school fans mad.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 14:49   Link #3
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Pym isn't creating Ultron. People really need to accept this.

But Michael Douglas as Pym is stroke of genius. Pym is basically an old weary guy in a 40 year old body in the comics. Making him 70 is just putting an accurate age on the way he acts anyway and sets up a mentor-student relationship for him and Lang. Story is also based on To Steal an Ant-Man so I have high expectations for this.

Also, I guess Janet (played by Rashida Jones) will be Lang's love interest instead of Pym's in the MCU.
Old 2014-01-14, 14:54   Link #4
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Pym isn't creating Ultron. People really need to accept this.
He still could have, long ago. Ultron originally brainwashed Pym afterward to make him forget he created him. That can still be the case now.
Old 2014-01-14, 19:13   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Do you guys think Marvel is building up to a movie where we have The Avengers, the X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, and others (like Ant Man) vs. Thanos with the infinity gauntlet?
Old 2014-01-14, 20:00   Link #6
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
He still could have, long ago. Ultron originally brainwashed Pym afterward to make him forget he created him. That can still be the case now.
Joss has specifically said Pym is not building Ultron for several reasons, and one of those is so Wright can own the character the way he wants. It hasn't been in the cards and that hasn't changed. This plot for Ant-Man has existed since 2005, nothing has changed, and they planned A2 specifically around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Do you guys think Marvel is building up to a movie where we have The Avengers, the X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, and others (like Ant Man) vs. Thanos with the infinity gauntlet?
Marvel doesn't own X-Men. But as far as the idea itself, yeah, that's what I think they're building towards.

Sounds like Janet will be Pym's daughter and Lang's love interest and Marvel are looking at Latino's for a villain role.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=92918

Last edited by james0246; 2014-01-15 at 10:05.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-15, 10:04   Link #7
james0246

Quote:
It would be kind of weird to have a villains origins appear 2 years after his/its film appearance...

Personally, I'm happy Pym is being tossed to the side. Everything that made him interesting couldn't be used in a PG-13 Disney movie, so the producers and writers were smart to simply go with the second Ant-Man. I'm a little iffy on Paul Rudd, but I'll wait and see how the story develops.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-15, 12:24   Link #8
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It would be kind of weird to have a villains origins appear 2 years after his/its film appearance...
"Off screen", "without mentioning it", "without showing it". I used all these terms. They would not show his origin, but merely making it so that it's still a plausible origin so as to not piss off fans.

Quote:
Personally, I'm happy Pym is being tossed to the side. Everything that made him interesting couldn't be used in a PG-13 Disney movie, so the producers and writers were smart to simply go with the second Ant-Man. I'm a little iffy on Paul Rudd, but I'll wait and see how the story develops.
I wanted the third Ant-Man, but I guess he wouldn't work in serious business movies.
Old 2014-01-15, 12:59   Link #9
james0246

Quote:
"Off screen", "without mentioning it", "without showing it". I used all these terms. They would not show his origin, but merely making it so that it's still a plausible origin so as to not piss off fans.
Considering "Iron Man 3", I think we can safely say the comic fans do not matter in regards to any storyline choices the producers are making.

That being said, it would still be silly to bring up a defeated villain for tangential purposes in a spin-off story, especially in a film that's not a prequel to the Avengers series.

Quote:
I wanted the third Ant-Man, but I guess he wouldn't work in serious business movies.
I wanted them to just skip to Cassie Lang...which I guess they are sort of doing.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-15, 13:08   Link #10
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Also, I guess Janet (played by Rashida Jones) will be Lang's love interest instead of Pym's in the MCU.
Not sure how I feel about that. I mean when people think of Hank, they also think of Janet.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-15, 13:27   Link #11
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, it would still be silly to bring up a defeated villain for tangential purposes in a spin-off story, especially in a film that's not a prequel to the Avengers series.
Again, "off-screen", "without mentioning it", "without showing it". They don't have to bring him up at all. Merely allow it to be a thing for head-canon.
Old 2014-01-15, 17:10   Link #12
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Not sure how I feel about that. I mean when people think of Hank, they also think of Janet.
Given, only a handful of people in the world know about them anyway. Probably less than 1% of the viewership this movie is going for.