AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-24, 07:33   Link #101
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Here's the scene in question:

Spoiler for Tsunami related stuff:

A bit on the nose, don't you think?
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 08:00   Link #102
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Wow, patronizing much?

It seems like you're watching the show for something it's not.

It's a show that primarily sets up jokes. If you don't find the jokes funny, that's fine, but it doesn't mean it's not funny to other people. You fault the show for having character cliches, but is that really valid criticism for what it's trying to do? It's more or less a sitcom. It's not pretending to be a smart comedy. They use Asuna's cow as a running joke, quite literally in this case. In more than a few cases they subvert those cliches. The humor is character-driven, sure, but most of it is still visceral and random. That it so happens to have titillating (and sometimes obscured) shots to satisfy a demographic and, God forbid, sell some DVDs/BDs is beside the point. I wonder if there'd be such a backlash if the censor images were replaced by magic fog or beams of light.
Well, it seems that I have overstepped myself in my previous rant. I apologize to Sekirei07 and anyone else who, god forbid, finds Soft Tennis funny. Let us all enjoy our tennis show in the best way we can.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 10:04   Link #103
JackALope044
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Have the Japanese become pussies or something? The tsunami was over a month ago, how long until this whole 'self-restraint' BS wears off? Can't they show anything that deals with flooding or stuff breaking anymore? Or is this yet another cheap attempt at getting otaku to buy the Blu-Rays? You can't tell me the scene in question was that hardcore, they had to completely cover it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimbulvetr View Post
So you can't show flooding in a comedy show anymore? While I'm not surprised, I'm still disappointed. But since I was already close to dropping this, I was glad about that one minute censorship nonsense, it made the decision even easier.
How long do you think it took until a show or movie released in America could portray a building being blown up or a plane crashing after 9/11?

And the Japanese lost more than QUADRUPLE the people we did in the Sendai Earthquake.

EDIT: Not to mention the extreme difference between western and Japanese culture in terms of deference and respect towards the dead.

All I'm saying is... Have a little more respect and understanding than that, if you would.
JackALope044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 11:34   Link #104
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

In the ATX airing of episode 3, the censorship of that scene is the same of the one I've seen in the subs, but the audio isn't interrupted (unlike in the subs where a weird music started).
So when the censorship begins, you can hear Kotone wondering "what's with this noise", meanwhile you hear something like a giant wave or something. The girls panic, after it's gone they check if everyone's ok, Asuna says that "Chitose is being swept away" (nagasareteru), you hear Chitose screaming while Asuna is set to go save her, stopped by Kotone who tells her that in those circumstances she'd end the same. Finally, after some other screaming Chitose, the thrilling music stops and... the visual censorship is over, you get Chitose riding that giant fish and all that follows.

So yes, definitely a tsunami-esque scene, not surprising they would censor it as of now.
Old 2011-04-24, 12:09   Link #105
Sekirei07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Well, it seems that I have overstepped myself in my previous rant. I apologize to Sekirei07 and anyone else who, god forbid, finds Soft Tennis funny. Let us all enjoy our tennis show in the best way we can.
No no you had some valid points, Hmm I was more saying that I think it is more or less dumb for people to drop the show just because they cut out a scene or panty shot. I mean its like getting a cake that has slice missing and only complaining about the missing piece when you still have the whole cake to enjoy.

Also the character arch types have been used to death, that is true. But I was thinking that the combination types of more than one of these archtype's make it a little more enjoyable than the same old ones.
Old 2011-04-24, 12:13   Link #106
Dop
We can't stop here...

OK, so now I've had the reason for the big blank-out section, I think that was fair enough.

After all, for how many years was that episode of The Simpsons where Homer goes to the World Trade Center quietly dropped from schedules?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 12:34   Link #107
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
No no you had some valid points, Hmm I was more saying that I think it is more or less dumb for people to drop the show just because they cut out a scene or panty shot.
Unfortunately fanservice is part of the comedy here, but there is a limit how much you can censor and can't, and here having animal ballons everywhere that cover 50% of the screen is uber stupid and annoying, not funny at all. Same in onii-chan no koto and expecially 30-sai where you have a sorta of "guide" but censoring everything remove the purpose of the guide in the first place. Illogic.

As censorship i prefer the one like in Astarotte (episode 1) or Evangelion where objects are put in strategic positions to cover only 5% of the screen and not remove the rest 50%. Hope you understand my point.

ps: I understand now the 2 minutes censorship and is reasonable but i drop anyway for the reason i explained before. I will recover the serie later with bds.

Current manga list
Claymore | Yumekui Merry | Uwa Koi | Toyko Ghoul | Akame ga Kill | Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Gokukoku no Brynhildr | Monster Musume | Freezing

Last edited by Fnights; 2011-04-24 at 12:50.
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 23:20   Link #108
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
And here we have possibly the worst show of the season. ... First off, the first episode was abominable. Every darn thing about it was a failure. Instead of supporting each other, the different facets of the show knocked each other down. ... unfunny comedy and obnoxious characters. ... The second episode: the show will have to try harder to get even a 2/10 from me.
Are you sure you aren't talking about Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa nai? Because that would be a fitting description of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
For the people that drop this, kinda don't get what your point is.

If you just want to watch boobs bouncing or panty shots well just watch something that has those.

The series is not JUST panty shots and boobs, its got a lot of good points to it as well. Elizabeth is one of my favorite western characters ever!

Kotone is honest to god the reincarnation of Yue from Angel Beats. The character variety between the girls is good with a nice combo of not just simple stereotypical ones but a few of them put together. Like clumsy glasses with big boobs + big eater, silent ninja like girl + extravagant eccentrics, and plain old average girl + perverted mind.

Its a fun show, and hell it probably teaching more westerners about a sport that most likely have never really heard of before. lol

But seriously, the parts cut out and edited out don't have much relevance to the show itself other than jokes, which the show already has plenty of. People focus too much on the small bits they don't get rather than what they do get...
qft, Soft Tennis is not like the above mentioned Oretachi which consists only of fanservice and random garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
In the ATX airing of episode 3, the censorship of that scene is the same of the one I've seen in the subs, but the audio isn't interrupted (unlike in the subs where a weird music started).
So when the censorship begins, you can hear Kotone wondering "what's with this noise", meanwhile you hear something like a giant wave or something. The girls panic, after it's gone they check if everyone's ok, Asuna says that "Chitose is being swept away" (nagasareteru), you hear Chitose screaming while Asuna is set to go save her, stopped by Kotone who tells her that in those circumstances she'd end the same. Finally, after some other screaming Chitose, the thrilling music stops and... the visual censorship is over, you get Chitose riding that giant fish and all that follows.

So yes, definitely a tsunami-esque scene, not surprising they would censor it as of now.
Ah, I see... that way, the censorship is understandable. Instead of having a black screen, why didn't they cut it out altogether?
Old 2011-04-25, 04:48   Link #109
Dop
We can't stop here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Ah, I see... that way, the censorship is understandable. Instead of having a black screen, why didn't they cut it out altogether?
I guess they had to fill the airtime, and maybe the decision was made too late to add extra content in its place.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 15:17   Link #110
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Ep.3 censoring was worse than the worst of Qwaser... dunno, just don't air it, what else could be said.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 15:33   Link #111
Vanish

Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
For the first few secs of that censor screen I thought it was intentional and supposed to be funny, but then it went on, and on, and on... lol Well, it's annoying I guess but doesn't take away my joy (and Kanae Ito hype) of this show at all.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 21:28   Link #112
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah it was a pretty long moment there. I get why they did it, but was just something that I just had to skip over.
Old 2011-04-26, 21:35   Link #113
tyciol
*Artist

I think we should also list the spelling "Softenni", Ayako has the first torrent on the tracker and they use this.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 21:53   Link #114
Midonin
Last Engage

A character song album has been announced, which is all I needed to hear. I look forward to Lizzy's song the most.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 22:33   Link #115
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I guess they had to fill the airtime, and maybe the decision was made too late to add extra content in its place.
Yes, it's wuite possible that it was a late decision and so they didn't have time for a replacement. Creating some stuff to fill the hole would've taken some time as well.

I'm still considering what to do with my sub of this. Leave the censored part as is? What would you prefer to find in a sub?
Old 2011-04-28, 01:34   Link #116
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackALope044 View Post
How long do you think it took until a show or movie released in America could portray a building being blown up or a plane crashing after 9/11?
I don't know, and I don't care. Maybe I would have cared if I actually lived there, but either way, it's possible that I would have said the same thing back then. Besides, they had no problem showing the actual footage for weeks. How is that less insensitive than seeing it in a fictional show or movie?

Quote:
And the Japanese lost more than QUADRUPLE the people we did in the Sendai Earthquake.
Thousands of people get killed by car crashes every year. Should we censor shows with high-speed car chases, where one car is eventually blown up, runs off a cliff or hits a person now? Heck, how many people still care about these deaths? The only difference is that a lot of people got killed over a very short period of time, making it seem worse than it actually is, when you relate it to all other deaths.

Plus, I doubt many of the people watching this show there still care about it. They weren't involved in any kind of way (aside from maybe getting their rooms shook up a bit) and as such, they probably don't see the necessity for all this censorship, and I can't help but agree.

Quote:
EDIT: Not to mention the extreme difference between western and Japanese culture in terms of deference and respect towards the dead.
And that matters... how?

Quote:
All I'm saying is... Have a little more respect and understanding than that, if you would.
I've been very respecting and understanding of the situation for quite some time. However, there comes a time where one must move on. Clinging to an excuse like that to enforce censorship on a show like this, when the majority of viewers don't probably care anymore, is, IMO, stupid and pointless.
Old 2011-04-28, 05:15   Link #117
CWW
Lurker

Wow...

Censorship: serious business.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 05:20   Link #118
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
@LoF: Very good points... assuming this started on the censoring and delays, I fear it's more about cutting costs and boosting sales, using the fear of a populist's retribution as an excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Censorship: serious business.
serious... NO
business... YES
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 15:12   Link #119
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Softenni 04 - In the Golden Afternoon:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 11:02   Link #120