AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-03, 03:08   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Chinese film (not just martial arts)

Back again, I had made a topic months back about Chinese film but then about martial arts back in the dynasty era's.
What I would like listed up now is films that are simply must sees, old ones or new ones it doesn't matter.
Remember I have seen my fair share of films through out the years, here's a small sum up to keep recon with.

- Once upon a time in China
- 36th chamber of shaolin
- Raise the red lantern
- Red Cliff
- Ip Man
- Crouching tiger...
- House of flying daggers
- The Banquet
- Curse of the Golden Flower
- Hero
- Hard Bioled
- The Killer
- Internal Affairs
- Magnificent Butcher
- The chinese Bruce Lee films
- Some Jackie Chan here and there..

Can't think of anythign else at the moment.
Basically I want to get more into Chinese cinema, I don't really care much about the categories: I don't like drama but I am willing to give it a shot. I am simply looking for some films that are must see's in a way. I don't care about the age either, I want some classics to watch =)
Old 2010-11-03, 04:11   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

Peking Opera Blues- a favorite of mine and pretty much unclassifiable in terms of genre (political drama + action + screwball comedy + thriller) It also has strong female characters as the leads and manages to cram in a lot of content within 1 hr. 40 minutes

Shaolin Soccer- one of Stephen Chow's more recent movies. It's basically an underdog sports movie except the underdogs are down-on-their-luck Shaolin monks, the movie itself is basically a blend of over the top wuxia (fantasy martial arts) sports action and comedy.

The Private Eyes- a classic 1976 comedy. It doesn't really have a plot, focusing on the episodic misadventures of the titular characters. Nevertheless, it's extremely funny with great physical humor and dialogue that holds up favorably even today.
Old 2010-11-03, 04:40   Link #3
Haak
Forever Alone...

Haven't you seen Fearless? I think it's simply great.

I recommend watching some of Donnie Yen's films too:
Dragon Tiger Gate - The best shampoo commercial ever.
Seven Swords - A wuxia epic
Flashpoint - Also features a lot of other martial arts like Judo and Boxing.
Old 2010-11-03, 05:08   Link #4
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Can't think of anythign else at the moment.
Basically I want to get more into Chinese cinema, I don't really care much about the categories: I don't like drama but I am willing to give it a shot. I am simply looking for some films that are must see's in a way. I don't care about the age either, I want some classics to watch =)
There's so much more to Chinese cinema then just martial-arts flicks, but if you don't particularly enjoy drama, then your choices are limited.

I imagine james0246 can give you a much more extensive list of recommendations. For a start though, which particular kind of Chinese cinema do you want to watch? China's? Hong Kong's? Or Taiwan's? Movies from each of these territories have their own distinctive features. China movies tend to be more cerebral, while Taiwanese movies tend to be either more melodramatic or heartfelt. Hong Kong dramas run the gamut, but tend to be geared more towards mass-market entertainment than movies from China or Taiwan.

For China films, veteran director Zhang Yimou's oeuvre is always a good place to start. Many of them tend to have political undertones, which can put off many people, so you could perhaps start with the tear-jerker, Not One Less (1999), detailing the story of a barely literate peasant girl who became the unlikely teacher of a village's children.

For Taiwan films, you might want to explore director Ang Lee's early works. I recommend, in particular, Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), which explores the topic of family traditions breaking down and being redefined in an increasingly Westernised society, but through the sumptuous imagery of masterly prepared food.

I recommended Zhang Yimou and Ang Lee as both have recently become well-known in the West because of their martial-arts films. That seems like a good way for a fan like you, who is probably more familiar with their recent work, to explore the deeper aspects of their art.

When in comes to Hong Kong drama, it usually pays to watch the works of director Wong Kar-Wai. Opinions about his movies vary — like John Woo, Wong shares the tendency of many Hong Kong directors to emphasise style over substance. You might want to start with In the Mood for Love (2000), starring the ethereal former Miss Hong Kong Maggie Cheung, along with her frequent co-star, Tony Leung — both of whom you'd probably recall from Zhang Yimou's Hero (2002).

Set in Hong Kong during the 1960s, In the Mood for Love follows the relationship between the two lonely lead characters, who were clearly growing fond of each other but stop short of carrying out a love affair.
Old 2010-11-03, 05:22   Link #5
gloh79
Sashimi Lover

fong sai yuk
god of gamblers
mulan
warlords
young and dangerous
Old 2010-11-03, 05:28   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
For China films, veteran director Zhang Yimou's oeuvre is always a good place to start. Many of them tend to have political undertones, which can put off many people, so you could perhaps start with the tear-jerker, Not One Less (1999), detailing the story of a barely literate peasant girl who became the unlikely teacher of a village's children.

I second this suggestion!
Old 2010-11-03, 06:22   Link #7
fukarming

lovehkfilm.com is a very good site that gives plenty of reviews to plenty of HK movie.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
Old 2010-11-03, 08:29   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
There's so much more to Chinese cinema then just martial-arts flicks, but if you don't particularly enjoy drama, then your choices are limited.

I imagine james0246 can give you a much more extensive list of recommendations. For a start though, which particular kind of Chinese cinema do you want to watch? China's? Hong Kong's? Or Taiwan's? Movies from each of these territories have their own distinctive features. China movies tend to be more cerebral, while Taiwanese movies tend to be either more melodramatic or heartfelt. Hong Kong dramas run the gamut, but tend to be geared more towards mass-market entertainment than movies from China or Taiwan.
Hong Kong is my main interest Chinese I've never really followed but I want to get into that more, Taiwan not so. I am willing to give drama a go, I however like movies that are not just about drama but that also have other things going on in it such as action or martial arts. But I am willing to give drama a go so I will be watching them if people recommend them (mostly because of writing and camera, I don't just watch movies because I like them or not =) ).

Thank you so far for the detailed post =)
and every one else for their responses.
Can't wait and see what James cooks up then XD

I am also looking for some more links concerning what movies have come out on DVD recently. Diaying which I sometimes used in the past has only a majority of what is in cinema at the moment :/ Lovehkfilm is very good, favouriting that one
Closed Thread

Tags
chinese cinema