AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 60 45.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 19.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 19.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 6.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.53%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-09, 22:15   Link #161
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's not just about playing eroge or living an otaku life. He is now involving himself in whole new circles of friends and relationships that are quite apart from his original life. And what's the link in the story pushing in him that direction if, in the end, he decides to go back to the safe, regular life that Manami represents?
Realistically speaking, I don't think that he has to choose between the two. There's no real reason he can't continue to be on friendly terms with Kirino's new otaku friends while also being in a romance with Manami. In other words, I don't think that it has to be all "new life", or all "original life", as you're arguing. What's wrong, or impossible, about balancing the two? Being with Manami doesn't mean he has to live a life identical to his original one. In fact, him being in a romance with Manami would represent a major change in his life. It can easily be argued that him moving from easy friendship with her to a committed romantic relationship is the less safe, less status quo, more risky route.

That being said, I will admit that anime has a tendency to force protagonists into absolute "all or nothing" and "take this path or that path" decisions, even when a real option between the two exists. So, there could be some truth to your argument here.


Quote:
I'm not saying that Manami isn't potentially compatible, but I think that the show is setting up a contrast between the type of life he originally said he wanted in the first episode, and the sort of life he is moving towards. That is why episode 6 is such a stark contrast and doesn't exactly feel like it fits in to the rest of Kyousuke's now-current life.
I don't see a problem with it. I would say that episode 6 shows that there's balance in Kyousuke's now-current life.


Quote:
Of course no matter what he decides to do, he could fall in love with Manami, but what will draw him to her? Where is the pull -- the appeal?
Perhaps balance is the appeal.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 22:48   Link #162
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
him being in a romance with Manami would represent a major change in his life
Nah, I don't see that at all. They'd probably hold hands and kiss every once in awhile, and maybe have sex a few times a year. Other than that, nothing about their relationship would change.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 22:53   Link #163
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What's wrong, or impossible, about balancing the two? Being with Manami doesn't mean he has to live a life identical to his original one. In fact, him being in a romance with Manami would represent a major change in his life. It can easily be argued that him moving from easy friendship with her to a committed romantic relationship is the less safe, less status quo, more risky route.
The question is how such a development would fit into the plot of the show. Kyousuke isn't a real person, so what is at issue isn't the options he could choose if he were real, it's the options available to the story in order to develop the premise and lead to some sort of a conclusion. Again, keep in mind the premise of the show established in the first episode; the show's resolution has to tie back to that premise. I don't think I can argue that this is a story about how a guy who just wanted to live a normal life discovers his feelings for his childhood friend and gets to live the life he always wanted (and by the way discovers his sister is an otaku along the way). Somehow the Manami plot thread and the main plot thread would have to converge and intertwine because, as it stands, this episode is the "diversion" and the rest are "central plot". The way the show will eventually end will necessarily revolve entirely around the central plot, however it develops between now and then. And resolving the central plot and ending the story with "oh yeah and by the way, Kyousuke ends up falling in love with Manami" is definitely "consolation prize", and thus I think not very likely. They'd be more likely to leave things ambiguous in that case (which, as I said before, is I think a big possibility).

So basically if this development is going to happen, we have a long way to go. Of course, as I said before, I'm not saying it can't happen. It's still early days in terms of the story on the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That being said, I will admit that anime has a tendency to force protagonists into absolute "all or nothing" and "take this path or that path" decisions, even when a real option between the two exists. So, there could be some truth to your argument here.
Almost all stories do this because they use contrast and change to drive home character development and to emphasize the moral of the story, which ties back to the central premise.

Which is why...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Perhaps balance is the appeal.
...is extremely unlikely. What storytelling reason would the writer have to have Kyousuke choose Manami to achieve balance in his life? It's not particularly romantic, nor is it particularly poignant, nor does it relate to the central premise of this show. Not saying that a romantic relationship with Manami couldn't be portrayed as any of those things, but probably not for the reason of achieving "balance". His life being "out of balance" has never been portrayed as an issue, so that's unlikely to factor into the resolution of the plot.

Again, I'm not talking about the choices Kyousuke could make if he were a real person in this situation, but only about the ways the plot is likely to develop in this story. Perhaps those are actually two different issues.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 23:28   Link #164
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Nah, I don't see that at all. They'd probably hold hands and kiss every once in awhile, and maybe have sex a few times a year. Other than that, nothing about their relationship would change.
I don't mean a major change in a concrete, physical sense, as in a change that is easily visible.

I mean a major change in an overarching psychological and/or relationship sense.

Any time a guy goes from being "just friends" with a girl to being in an ongoing intimate relationship with her, it's a big step. 90% or more of the actual interactions between the two might be the same as always, but the bond is much more serious and sometimes much more committed. For a laidback easy-going guy like Kyousuke, it would represent a significant change.

I mean, romance tends to implicitly carry with it certain responsibilities and obligations that a more casual friendship does not. For example, Kyousuke visiting Manami's house for the night in this episode is actually a rare occurrence, as the episode itself made clear. But if Kyousuke becomes her boyfriend, then he'd be expected to visit her at her house more than just once a blue moon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

*snip for space*

Again, I'm not talking about the choices Kyousuke could make if he were a real person in this situation, but only about the ways the plot is likely to develop in this story. Perhaps those are actually two different issues.
I have to admit - you make very good points.

With that in mind, a romantically ambiguous ending is quite likely and possible, yeah.

If we do get Kyousuke/Manami, it might require Manami becoming an otaku herself, which would certainly be interesting to see, lol.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 01:15   Link #165
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I tell you, Saori is the darkhorse here. In some ways, she's the best of both worlds - she's an otaku and a little dangerous, but also sweet, kind and responsible.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 03:22   Link #166
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Do we even know what Manami thinks about eroges, otakus, etc...? Unless I missed or forgot something, Manami seems to be the only major character in this anime who hasn't taken a firm position on it either way. Such neutrality could actually be a big benefit if Kyousuke gets into the otaku lifestyle. If Manami and Kyousuke become a couple, Manami may simply see her boyfriend has having his own interests, and while not holding all of them herself, would simply let him partake in it without her interference.
Oh man, I think I just figured out where they may be taking this whole thing with Minami.

Every arc so far has ended up with Kyousuke lying and making himself out to be a perverted freak in order to cover for his sister.

He can do that to his father because they were never close. He can do it to Ayase because he barely knows her. I'm not sure he can do it to Manami.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a plot point if Minami does stay over at his place.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 13:39   Link #167
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Oh man, I think I just figured out where they may be taking this whole thing with Minami.

Every arc so far has ended up with Kyousuke lying and making himself out to be a perverted freak in order to cover for his sister.

He can do that to his father because they were never close. He can do it to Ayase because he barely knows her. I'm not sure he can do it to Manami.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a plot point if Minami does stay over at his place.
Now that you put it that way.. It might turn into a very tough situation for Kyousuke in Minami gets sorta disturbed, if she found out that he played eroge games.. It will be more trouble for Kyousuke to deal with this situation, since he knows Minami as a child. But that situation might not happen.. It will probably be that Minami will be the first person to finally understand the situation, and not yell at Kyousuke.
__________________
Illya & Miyu from Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ☆ ILLYAMyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: RRW
Signature from: TheEroKing
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 21:50   Link #168
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Sorry Kuroneko, i think Ricchan Manami won me over to be the favourite character of this show. Kyousuke, with all respect, just marry Manami already. By this point i found it unjustified for her to be a part of your harem.

And Kirino, please grow up.... Go play with our friends, you have two very good one at this moment who is ready to fight for your attention

Definitely best episode so far.

PS: Can Kyousuke do not hold any interest toward Manami at all, if he find her cute and don't want her to end up with someone else? I will say impossible, he simply just didn't acknowledge it. Wait until one day when he have to face the thought of losing her. That would be when he realise his love (totally agree with DragonKain here)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Look at the big picture, fellow shippers. The big picture!

-Beginning of the episode, Kyou doesn't want Manami to have a boyfriend, presumably because he doesn't want things to change between them

-Same part, his friend already mentions that Kyou already SEEMS like he's going out with Manami (Kirino makes such a remark in an early episode as well IIRC)

-There was talk when they trying to sleep of Kyou wondering if things will change if they go to the same university. They agreed that things will remain the same

-If Manami is a Grandma, then Kyou is a Grandpa, as said by the characters themseleves

-And now you have Kyou turning down those who confesses to him because he is satisfied with the life he lives right now

Put two and two together. Kyou doesn't want things between him and Manami to change, true. Thing is, people here assume that Kyou and Manami are 'just friends' right now, when it's more like Kyou and Manami are a couple right now in all but name. It's so obvious to the people around them, including Kyou's friends, Manami's family, and even Kirino, that they think they are a couple already. And Kyou does NOT want this kind of relationship with Manami to change.

(And that's not even mentioning that Kyou is very defensive about Manami, to the point that he doesn't like anyone, not even his sister, badmouthing her... but I digress)

So really, Kyou is showing signs, not of 'I want to be with you' kind of love, but the 'I can't live without you' kind of love. Which btw, is the more common type when you're talking about romance with childhood friends. Thing is, this kind of love and not being conscious of it till later on the story goes hand in hand, and that's why you have Kyou denying it isn't like that when his actions says otherwise.


See. the way I understand of Kyou's character, is that he just wants to live a 'normal' life. And what better way to do that than to marry a 'normal' girl? That's why I really do think he isn't and will not be romantically interested in girls who are basically supermodels (Ayase), nor would he be interested in otaku girls (Saori and Kuroneko). Which of course extends that he isn't romantically interested in his sister, because really, it does not fit his character as someone who just wants normalcy.

So yeah, I'm 'all in'. It's Manami or bust. Have confidence fellow shippers! (Not that we'll see a conclusion with this anime, but just saying how confident I am with the series going in this direction in the end)
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-11-11 at 00:19.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 22:31   Link #169
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Gaaaah Very nice comment DragoonKain3 ! Totally agree with you !
Childhood friend needs more love !! Go Kyousuke x Manami ! This show will be one of the best for me if they do this pairing !

Anyway great episode added with a great ending.
Also i find that Manami's voice actor was performing very well this episode , i really like it !
And GrandPa is hilarious ^^
Manami was so cute. She's over 9000 !
Kirino was jealous.. no incest pls..
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 02:37   Link #170
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
NO. Battle stations! All hands on deck! We fight to the death!! *raises Kirino flag*

All told though, a nice change of pace. Very little drama. Very soothing. Very normal.

Which is why I think he will not end up with Minami. To me, the closest parallel to Kyousuke I can think of is Kyon- who also desired normalcy, yearned for it, yet in the end when he had to choose that wasn't it. In this regard Kyousuke is rather like Kirino- both have had stable safe lives but want something more. For Kirino the reconciliation between her school life and otaku life is still very much an ongoing process, but I believe this is also the case with Kyousuke.

Sure on the outside he claims he likes his life dull, but he has been shown to be an unreliable narrator before. What Minami has to offer, a stable, safe and peaceful relationship where he can be happy and content seems preferable to the drama, sufferings and angst (ooh yes.) he would most likely experience should he go through with Kirino. But I believe he would choose that because he isn't the sort of person to run from such things. Despite his numerous claims his relationship with Kirino is frozen, that he doesn't care about her, look at the effort he is willing to expend for her. What he is willing to sacrifice for her. His pride, his shame, even physical wellbeing- all of it. For her. I mean come on, that level of dedication, in any other series Kirino would've already won by now. Ore no imouto just needs some more time. Yeah.

oh and, we have reserves :P
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 03:44   Link #171
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
NO. Battle stations! All hands on deck! We fight to the death!! *raises Kirino flag*

All told though, a nice change of pace. Very little drama. Very soothing. Very normal.
Bring it on then you siscon *raise Manami flag*
If it's in Japan water then we will face disadvantage. But here, we have enough destroyers and submarines here to repel your assaults!!!


Back to the topic, if Kyou want to like all those drama, sufferings and angst. Then he can keep an eye around Kirino, that's all. I mean... he let his sister working as model in shady industry (did you see how short her skirt was?), then there should be no problem with being an otaku now and then. About all of the sacrificed pride, shame, and physical well-being, well it's all can be easily canceled out as they are family after all.
Most importantly he do not see her as a girl, but as a sister. And with that mindset they will be teasing each other at best!!
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-11-11 at 03:56.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 04:02   Link #172
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
The power of love conquers all! We are the strength of humanity! We fight for freedom! We die for wincest um more freedom!

Second carrier wing stand by for launch! Arm torpedo tubes 1 through 6! Third heavy cruiser flotilla move up the right wing! All dreadnoughts, flanking position south! Formation delta is a go!

Ok serious now.

Quote:
if Kyou want to like all those drama, sufferings and angst. Then he can keep an eye around Kirino, that's all
Alternatively he could just run back to Manami's place if he needs a break. No really, it's easier to find somewhere to relax than find a place you can really enjoy yourself.

Quote:
did you see how short her skirt was
Hell yeah! That was the point! You deny he's a siscon NOW?

Quote:
all of the sacrificed pride, shame, and physical well-being, well it's all can be easily canceled out as they are family afterall.
No it can't! He obviously favours Kirino over the other family members (no not that way -_- ). He explicitly (@_@) states that he would never have contemplated such action only a short while ago, which means DEVELOPMENT! Which will lead to sex their relationship further expanding until they declare undying love for each other! (it's logical!!)

lol I ranted more here than I remember having done for the past year. Go unfounded and utterly baseless shipping.
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 04:09   Link #173
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Now that you put it that way.. It might turn into a very tough situation for Kyousuke in Minami gets sorta disturbed, if she found out that he played eroge games.. It will be more trouble for Kyousuke to deal with this situation, since he knows Minami as a child. But that situation might not happen.. It will probably be that Minami will be the first person to finally understand the situation, and not yell at Kyousuke.
Minami doesn't strike me as the judgemental type. However, I think Kyousuke will be quite worried what she thinks because they're actually pretty close in a way. The drama will come from how he decides to handle the situation, not her reaction.

(Of course, I could also be completely off base here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
NO. Battle stations! All hands on deck! We fight to the death!! *raises Kirino flag*

All told though, a nice change of pace. Very little drama. Very soothing. Very normal.

Which is why I think he will not end up with Minami. To me, the closest parallel to Kyousuke I can think of is Kyon- who also desired normalcy, yearned for it, yet in the end when he had to choose that wasn't it. In this regard Kyousuke is rather like Kirino- both have had stable safe lives but want something more. For Kirino the reconciliation between her school life and otaku life is still very much an ongoing process, but I believe this is also the case with Kyousuke.

Sure on the outside he claims he likes his life dull, but he has been shown to be an unreliable narrator before. What Minami has to offer, a stable, safe and peaceful relationship where he can be happy and content seems preferable to the drama, sufferings and angst (ooh yes.) he would most likely experience should he go through with Kirino. But I believe he would choose that because he isn't the sort of person to run from such things. Despite his numerous claims his relationship with Kirino is frozen, that he doesn't care about her, look at the effort he is willing to expend for her. What he is willing to sacrifice for her. His pride, his shame, even physical wellbeing- all of it. For her. I mean come on, that level of dedication, in any other series Kirino would've already won by now. Ore no imouto just needs some more time. Yeah.

oh and, we have reserves :P
Well yeah, but his break from normalcy doesn't necessarily mean he has to fall for his sister - Ayase is a perfectly good option. Nor does it necessarily mean that he has to become romantically involved with anyone... just seeing how far the otaku rabbit hole goes is probably a refreshing change of pace in itself, and he can explore that with Kirino without being romantically involved with her.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 06:04   Link #174
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Out of curiousity... but why are some calling her Minami?
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 06:08   Link #175
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
*create a temporary ally and join 0utf0xZer0's fleet for double pincer attacks from coordinate X:45 Y 675 and X64 Y874 *

@Seitsuki:
Yeah! Even if he does not enjoy to live his life the way he has with Manami is now(big IF), that does not mean that he will has to fall for his sister. Even take Kuroneko and Ayase out of the question, he can still take Manami into one of those Comikets and share some new experiences together.

That one is readily available, and as long as he want to, he can go with anyone. But a cute childhood friend, with a family that consider him as a member, provide him peace and a safety feeling. That he only can find in Manami!!

@HayashiTakara: Minami= South , which is... easy to remember...?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 06:24   Link #176
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
* Stays in the background while gathering dark energy to destroy all opposition once and for all

To be honest, I sense that Kyousuke is thinking the grass is green on the other side. Yes, peace and quiet seems all nice, but would he be able to bear it for the rest of his life? I doubt it.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 06:43   Link #177
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
* Stays in the background while gathering dark energy to destroy all opposition once and for all

To be honest, I sense that Kyousuke is thinking the grass is green on the other side. Yes, peace and quiet seems all nice, but would he be able to bear it for the rest of his life? I doubt it.
*Send infiltrators in to sabotage the process and blow up the lab*

Why not? Many of us will kill to live a life like that. And we didn't even get to the "interesting" part yet...
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 06:54   Link #178
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Why not? Many of us will kill to live a life like that. And we didn't even get to the "interesting" part yet...
Personally, I'm living the life I want to live: The fine line between becoming a full-blown fujoshi and the perfect Yamato Nadeshiko, while promising the future with my love. Forget peace and quiet. The thing is, this peaceful and quiet life has always been an ideal that most will be turned off after experiencing it.


But that's my personal view.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 07:36   Link #179
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Personally, I'm living the life I want to live: The fine line between becoming a full-blown fujoshi and the perfect Yamato Nadeshiko, while promising the future with my love. Forget peace and quiet. The thing is, this peaceful and quiet life has always been an ideal that most will be turned off after experiencing it.


But that's my personal view.
I don't want to turn this into personal consultant thread, but why don't you spice it up a bit? I mean... there's while a number of consultant expert-ing in these kinds of relationship issues

But i admit sometime i would also want my life to be led around by Haruhi
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 07:44   Link #180
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I don't want to turn this into personal consultant thread, but why don't you spice it up a bit? I mean... there's while a number of consultant expert-ing in these kinds of relationship issues
Spice up what? I'm already juggling enough balls


Anyway, back on topic: Iwao was the most hilarious in my opinion.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.