AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-03, 19:00   Link #1001
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Being a tomboy doesn't automatically make you an outcast though. I mean, there are plenty of popular tomboys in school. Her standoffish nature and sarcastic attitude seem to be the main cause but again, it doesn't seem like she had that sort of nature 10 years ago. So really, what changed?
I think this is a natural evolution of her childhood personality, with the understanding that, for whatever reason, she wasn't able to fit in with the crowd. We see at the start of the show that she's extremely resentful of the beautiful and popular girls. I don't know if I necessarily buy that there was some other additional trigger that necessarily set her down that path. I think her current attitude is a defence mechanism to prevent her from being hurt even further. And now that she actually has some people that she could interact with, she's behaving in the way she became accustomed to. In either case, she definitely has some major trust and self-esteem issues that need to be worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
And no, she wouldn't be accepted in some foreign cultures any better -_- It's not that she's individualistic or strong of will or anything. It's that she can be a very huge bitch a lot of times. Unless you're saying the two are directly related for females, which i would have to disagree.
Again, following the above concept, I suspect Yozora is only a "bitch" (as you say) because she stopped caring about getting along with "normal people" at some point along the way, likely after being burned one too many times. So this may be what prevents her from getting along with people now, but I don't think that was always the case. As you said, "something happened", but I think it could be as simple as not fitting in. Ten years is certainly enough time to become bitter and cynical, particularly now that she's a teenager. This all has little to do with being female, though -- anyone can get jaded if they feel like they can never fit in.

(And that aside, I've known a lot of popular girls who were not so dissimilar to Yozora, honestly. It really all depends on whether you can find a group of friends who can accept you. Popularity just grows from there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
As for Kodaka understanding her cause of foreign blood...uh, no don't think so. To be honest, I think Sena understands her the most because a lot of the girly subtext seems to be partially lost on Kodaka. Plus Sena has foreign blood too.
I'm not sure if you're actually disproving my point, though. A big message of the show is that it takes an outcast to really understand other outcasts. The fact that Sena, Kodaka, and Kobato all share some foreign blood is just one of the links that separates them from the crowd and makes them outcasts (because they're "not like other people"). Yozora, too, has always been "not like other people", and perhaps that's why she was able to become friends with Kodaka back in the day. I guess how literally or figuratively you take this particular connection is up to you.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 00:06   Link #1002
surerman
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Killers Special Mobile Prison
Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think this is a natural evolution of her childhood personality, with the understanding that, for whatever reason, she wasn't able to fit in with the crowd. We see at the start of the show that she's extremely resentful of the beautiful and popular girls. I don't know if I necessarily buy that there was some other additional trigger that necessarily set her down that path. I think her current attitude is a defence mechanism to prevent her from being hurt even further. And now that she actually has some people that she could interact with, she's behaving in the way she became accustomed to. In either case, she definitely has some major trust and self-esteem issues that need to be worked out.

Again, following the above concept, I suspect Yozora is only a "bitch" (as you say) because she stopped caring about getting along with "normal people" at some point along the way, likely after being burned one too many times. So this may be what prevents her from getting along with people now, but I don't think that was always the case. As you said, "something happened", but I think it could be as simple as not fitting in. Ten years is certainly enough time to become bitter and cynical, particularly now that she's a teenager. This all has little to do with being female, though -- anyone can get jaded if they feel like they can never fit in.

(And that aside, I've known a lot of popular girls who were not so dissimilar to Yozora, honestly. It really all depends on whether you can find a group of friends who can accept you. Popularity just grows from there.)

I'm not sure if you're actually disproving my point, though. A big message of the show is that it takes an outcast to really understand other outcasts. The fact that Sena, Kodaka, and Kobato all share some foreign blood is just one of the links that separates them from the crowd and makes them outcasts (because they're "not like other people"). Yozora, too, has always been "not like other people", and perhaps that's why she was able to become friends with Kodaka back in the day. I guess how literally or figuratively you take this particular connection is up to you.
objection!
She become friend with Koala is because she's presenting herself as what she want (in the past and present) She want to be manly and dressed like a boy, joining Koala brawl and befriend him. In the present she pretend to not recognized him in the class room until she get rightful shower of dirty water bucket at summer festival, and cut her hair after realize her chance to keep Koala for her self is almost slip to other girl.

One always can choose to be what ever she/he want in her/his life, whomever he/she is, but in this bitch case she choose to be ..well...bitch, that make me want to give her my Full Force Chi - Kungfu punch or plunged some Sledge Hammer like Mjolnir on her face.

GRRRAAAAHhh!!!! *Rage of the Titans meter increased*
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:04   Link #1003
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by surerman View Post
One always can choose to be what ever she/he want in her/his life, whomever he/she is, but in this bitch case she choose to be ..well...
(formatting adjusted)

I'm not saying that I think she's blameless or a victim that we should only feel sorry for. But, at the same time, I don't think she's a villain that deserves nothing but anger and blame either. She's a sympathetic character in this story, just like all the rest of the flawed cast.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:44   Link #1004
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think this is a natural evolution of her childhood personality, with the understanding that, for whatever reason, she wasn't able to fit in with the crowd. We see at the start of the show that she's extremely resentful of the beautiful and popular girls. I don't know if I necessarily buy that there was some other additional trigger that necessarily set her down that path. I think her current attitude is a defence mechanism to prevent her from being hurt even further. And now that she actually has some people that she could interact with, she's behaving in the way she became accustomed to. In either case, she definitely has some major trust and self-esteem issues that need to be worked out.
I agree that she needs therapy. Serious therapy. Followed by Yukimura.

In actuality, I'm hoping she doesn't end up with Kodaka in the LN because her character doesn't need love/romance. She already has trouble with NORMAL friendships, let alone romantic relationships. She needs some therapy and then maybe after a few years, she can consider romance. If she does end up with Kodaka and then everything turns out hunky-dory then well... -_- it's one of those cliche powaaaa ooooof laaaaabu endings, which really depends on how well it's written.


Quote:
Again, following the above concept, I suspect Yozora is only a "bitch" (as you say) because she stopped caring about getting along with "normal people" at some point along the way, likely after being burned one too many times. So this may be what prevents her from getting along with people now, but I don't think that was always the case. As you said, "something happened", but I think it could be as simple as not fitting in. Ten years is certainly enough time to become bitter and cynical, particularly now that she's a teenager. This all has little to do with being female, though -- anyone can get jaded if they feel like they can never fit in.
Yeah, I was wondering at what point did she stop. Because at age 7, she seemed like she would be popular with people.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 03:25   Link #1005
mironicus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Too much thinking about Yozora will get you even more confused.

Well, the story is written from the perspective from Kodaka and not from Yozora.

The past is the only remaining link she has with Kodaka and that's a trigger she always try to push to get closer to him. And this is somehow sad, because as long she still pushes this trigger she is not able to form any new relationships at all. She will become an outcast within a group of outcasts. There is nothing much more else to say about her based of the infos at the end of Vol 7.

However in Vol. 8 that topic is not important any more because this new volume focuses mainly on Kodaka and how he is able to step forward.

Spoiler:
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 06:32   Link #1006
potchip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
The positive reviews on Amazon was mostly on the renewed focus on relationships and introspection (from Kodaka). Mironics, I think you tend to focus more on 'events' rather than the messages that these events manage to bringing across.

Spoiler for impression up to ch5:
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 06:55   Link #1007
mironicus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Spoiler for impression up to ch5:
Spoiler:
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 09:30   Link #1008
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Need...translations...of...vol...8....heck, i'd be happy if vol 7 was finally finished >_<

That or I need to get myself a cheap copy somehow
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 09:33   Link #1009
mironicus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quoted from the Vexed Scans homepage:

"Haganai volume 8 (There will be enough bricks shat to build enough homes for a small African village after I get around to releasing this)"

We should collect money so he changes his occupation for only translating for us.
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 20:28   Link #1010
NaweG
Just some guy
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
Quoted from the Vexed Scans homepage:

"Haganai volume 8 (There will be enough bricks shat to build enough homes for a small African village after I get around to releasing this)"

We should collect money so he changes his occupation for only translating for us.
I've often thought that this would be an interesting use of Kickstarter - to donate to get a book translated. Perhaps setup so the money is paid to Yen or someone on the condition they employ said translator. Just a thought...
__________________
NaweG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 06:14   Link #1011
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Kodaka can finally separate from Sora and his thoughts about the past
The question is will Yozora let him .

Quote:
Need...translations...of...vol...8....heck, i'd be happy if vol 7 was finally finished >_<
Be patient. And please dont take this the wrong way and I am sorry if I offend you this , but comment can irritate translator's.

Quote:
I don't know if I necessarily buy that there was some other additional trigger that necessarily set her down that path.
For me I think there may be but then again thats me .

I am very curious about her home life and her life after Kodoka left.
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 06:58   Link #1012
mironicus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
The question is will Yozora let him .
Yes. No one should underestimate the influence a girl can have over a boy.

Spoiler:

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-07-05 at 08:13.
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 18:14   Link #1013
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
As it is right now, Yozora's circumstances can only get worse before it gets better.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 19:11   Link #1014
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
LOL! I found hanagai characters in the LN Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru
__________________
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 19:48   Link #1015
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
LOL! I found hanagai characters in the LN Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru
What in the world!? Who Yozora or Sena? Who is it?
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami

Last edited by sky black swordman; 2012-07-05 at 21:29.
sky black swordman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 01:29   Link #1016
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
What in the world!? Who Yozora or Sena? Who is it?
Yozora, Sena (complete with butterfly hair piece), Maria (though only her back), and Rika. I thought my eyes were tricking me for a moment but they were really there. lol. You can find the image in volume 5.5.
__________________
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:09   Link #1017
mironicus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I just tried to read the afterword of Vol. 8 (if's safe, no spoilers needed).

The author mentioned that he is ill, having a pancreatitis. He has problems with breathing, so simple tasks like going 100 meters to the next supermarket is troublesome for him, his stamina is down. The following characters are from the last page.

著者
平坂読(ひらさか・よみ)
100メートル先のスーパーに行くだけで息が切れます・・・・・・。歳ではなく病気で
体力が落ちているせいだと思いたい。
イラスト
ブリキ
夢の中でも息が切れます・・・・・・歳ですね。

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-07-07 at 11:40.
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:31   Link #1018
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Wow, that is pretty bad .
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:55   Link #1019
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Wow, that is pretty bad .
As long as it is pancreatitis due to alcohol intake he should be ok if stays away from the stuff, but if the cause of his pancreatitis is pancreatic cancer *cough* satoshi kon *cough*
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 13:07   Link #1020
mironicus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Google translation about the desease. So it was a gastroenteritis and not a pancreatitis they twittered some months ago...?

一ヶ月ほど急病で入院しました。夜中にお腹が超痛くなって眠吐も酷く胃液しか出なくなっても治まらず、どう にか朝まで我慢して近所の病院に行ったところただの胃腸炎と診断され薬を出されたもののまったく効かず、ど う考えてもこれはヤバいと思い救急車を呼んで大きな病院に搬送され、最重症の急性膝炎で極度の脱水症状を起 こしててマジ超ヤパいと判明し即入院となりました。駆けつけてくださった編集長と担当さんによると、顔が真 ?日で死んでるかと思ったそうです(笑・・・えない) 。入院中は点滴いっぱいで身動きできず、退院後も普通の生活に戻れるまで非常に時間がかかました(今は元気 です) 。皆さんも健康にはくれぐれも気をつけてください・・・いや本当に、いのちをだいじに。あと、ヤバいと思っ たときはちゃんとした設備のある大きな病院に行くべきです。最初の医者を信じてあと数時間救急車を呼ばない でいたら多分アレだったそうで・・・(笑・・・えない) 。-この一年ほどずっとやっているゲlムやアプリなどの「監修』の仕

Was hospitalized with sudden illness about a month. Not effective at all, but does not go away is no longer only gastric juice badly also vomiting sleep it hurt super stomach in the middle of the night, was issued a drug are diagnosed with gastroenteritis just place went to the hospital in the neighborhood to be patient until the morning somehow , which is conveyed to a large hospital in an ambulance I think dope, now hospitalized immediately turned out to physicians Yapa ultra-serious has been caused dehydration of extreme flame knee severe acute highest by any stretch of the imagination. According to the editor in chief who's in charge and rushed, so I thought that is dead in the Sun? True face (not ET laughs). Was very time in the hospital can not be written down in the full drip, to return to normal life after discharge (this is fine). Really hate to health Please be careful earnestly, to cherish life too. After you believe that dope should go to a big hospital with proper facilities. (No ET-Emi) so maybe I was not called Ares an ambulance a few hours to believe the first doctor. - Specification of "supervision" such as systems and applications gain l is doing much about this one year
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, friendship, harem, light novels, love decisions, school life, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.